The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Why do you dislike the new feature: Tales of tribute card game?

Heartrage
Heartrage
✭✭✭✭✭
The new feature seems to be disliked by a majority of the forum players. But why though? Please, answer why you personally don't like this feature.
Edited by ZOS_Hadeostry on 27 June 2022 23:07

Why do you dislike the new feature: Tales of tribute card game? 787 votes

I don't play/like card games.
8%
theyanceyRDMyers65b14_ESOxaraanJD2013AlienSlofAthanasia_NocnitsaZephiran23sparafucilsarwb17_ESOHortator Indoril NerevarSorakaLonestryderAvalonRangerSjestenkaNeoXanthusTandorRustyfish101BouldercleaveAtlan_daGonozalEnemy-of-ColdharbourBrowiseth 69 votes
I don't think a card game makes sense in ESO. ESO is a mmorpg not a card game.
7%
mekops_ESONewBlacksmurfGlassHalfFullChivanaSapphire_Lilyshaxigamingeb17_ESOEldartarDelgentPathSilverBrideRomoBalticBluesRagnarok0130Thrasher91604woedotmefred4TyavariDazzawMaltheru 58 votes
I think development time could've been spent on something else more important or another better feature.
25%
KalfisKsariyulordxyrax_ESOOthniel327pechecklerFinaldeathdaniel.13b16_ESOsanthoranb16_ESOMaster_AlucarDDracaneIzanagi.Xiiib16_ESOmartinhpb16_ESOEinionYrthArcAngelCoatmagicSimen.askeland89b16_ESOdanno8Decimusguulks888 199 votes
I think this is gonna be another cash grab and pay-to-win.
3%
CasdhagresiacDanikatGroufTavore1138ElsonsoEvergnarAsysAliasRedJayleeSmitch_59cyberjanetDrdeath20BrodsonKlauthWarthogElectrone_MagnusTheMuffinManHroltharhaeleneguarstompemoji 27 votes
It doesn't feel like it should be a full main new feature.
14%
silvereyesBlueRavenDarcyMardinnihoumab14_ESOwenchmore420b14_ESOIruil_ESOZigoSidDarkstorneGylzynkwisatzphilips666_18b16_ESODiatonicGoldenGirlBlueVioletMalthorneSmokedpyrotechDream96LiedekeaedraCP5 113 votes
All/some of the above (please, comment which ones).
12%
Magenpievailjohn_ESOMalkivSuddwrathMojmirBelegnolecalitrumanb14_ESOzdkazzGythralEdrikthomas1970b16_ESOIselinWraithShadow13SheezabeastWolfpawSpageAjaxandrielKwoungJoanOfOrcMasterSpatula 99 votes
Other (please, comment why).
4%
Sythen88411ThorntongueKesstryld.schaerb16_ESO2ApoAlaiaMisscapefoxSotha_Silphaneub17_ESODMuehlhausenBlkadrOreyn_BearclawSilentRaven1972Celephantsylvius_BornasfinmoDojohodaErmiqbarney2525master_vanargandJonnytheKingLikiLokiMagicalLija 33 votes
I don't actually dislike the card game, i just want to be in the poll! :D
24%
MallowCireousjoethetrucker.delinski_ESOLostarGalenadyreonb14_ESOtohopka_esodaryl.rasmusenb14_ESOGedericDaveMoeDeeMarginisopajmaingraysarahvhoffb14_ESOWhiteCoatSyndromeRedTalonCyberOnEsoVriendafreespiritKhenarthi 189 votes
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm excited for the card game and plan on ranking #1 in the new competitive league.
    PC NA
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's to distract us from the bigger underlying unaddressed problems in game.
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • Starlight_Knight
    Starlight_Knight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When ZOS implemented ESO + a lot of players wanted to pay it because they felt it was supporting the game.

Now we are at a point where we all feel like that money is being siphoned away into a new ZOS project and ESO is being neglected.

A card game is ok, but it's not a primary system to advertise with a new chapter, it's a secondary thing.

At this point if ZOS was my girlfriend I would be concerned she's cheating on me.
    Edited by Starlight_Knight on 31 January 2022 15:51
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't dislike it, I haven't actually played a ccg so i am waiting to see what it is like. At the moment we don't know very much about it but i am intrigued
    Soupy twist
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I just don't understand why, of all things, they thought this was what would get anyone excited. Of all the things requested and speculated about by players, I didn't see anyone other than a scant few asking for something like this. It was a really disappointing followup to a very cool trailer that had a lot of people hoping new forms of adventure would be coming. Instead we're being asked to afk play a card game. Ugh.

It also seems really arbitrary and unrelated to the chapter as a whole.

Its weird because I've always wanted mini games in game for my character to play when sitting down beside a gameboard with a buddy. But I'm not at all thrilled that a card game is the major feature of this years chapter.

I just want to know what made them think anybody wanted this as a chapter feature.
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • Kiyonami
    Kiyonami
    ✭✭✭
    Well... I just don't like card games in general, that's all.
  • Astiron
    Astiron
    ✭✭✭
    I kind of look forward to trying it, but it shouldn't be the main feature. It should've been a quality of life improvement for the base game. New and/or improved skill lines would have been a much better main feature.
  • _Zathras_
    _Zathras_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I played ESO: Legends for a couple of days and thought it was a ton of fun. I could easily have spent a lot of time playing it, but I was doing other things at the time.

I've also played card-based games, but not CCGs, like Arcana from waaaay back in the day, and Slay the Spire on Steam.

So I'm open to this. I thing dolloping hatred on something that hasn't even been tried is a wee bit premature.
    Heartrage wrote: »
    The new feature seems to be disliked by a majority of the forum players.

Recreational Outrage (tm). All forums are like this. It's like the popular (cough) sentiment here that Companions are awful, and useless. Yet, if you go in game..what do you see? Companions all over the place.

Also, people had pre-conceived notions of what they wanted with the new Chapter's content. I think focusing on one thing (the card game) is just a convenient focal point for the greater frustration of other issues, which you can see in the comments.

Edited by _Zathras_ on 31 January 2022 16:52
  • tohopka_eso
    tohopka_eso
    ✭✭✭✭
    I play FFXIV also and when I like to sit back I dabble with there card game also. They have achievements associated with it so makes it fun for me. And with this version in ESO I can try my hand against the NPC's as well as players.
    TBH, this is my type of dualing.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you design a collectible card game I'll like, the people who like card games will be sorely disappointed.

I hope the people who like card games enjoy it, even though I won't.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Literally, all of the reasons above.
  • Odovacar
    Odovacar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't think it should be the sole selling point for this years chapter...just my opinion though,.
  • Mushroomancer
    Mushroomancer
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't dislike it, mostly because we know absolutely nothing about it, so I'll reserve judgment on it until the time comes (even though I'm not a fan of CCGs, so my opinion will most likely be quite biased).

What I don't accept is the fact that it is the main feature and selling point of the chapter. If it were a side activity alongside a class or a skill line, or hell, even just one in a slew of "tavern games" or whatever you wanna call them, I wouldn't mind it as much. When the game clearly needs some refreshing in the combat department however, I can't take this as a response. Plus, I really hope this new, supposedly complex, system didn't take away from them designing the trial and dungeons, I really don't want to get another Kyne's Aegis.

Bottom line is, I am getting a bit fed up with the fact that ZOS seems to cater each chapter to a single portion of the playerbase, when they could at least try to please every section of it.

Also, I am at the point where I am not gonna trust ZOS about improving performance anymore. When they say "no new systems, we want to focus on performance", and we get a new system, that only makes me think performance is gonna stay in the crapper. Now, most likely they have separate sub-teams handling performance and game systems, I just hope making this minigame didn't affect the team working on performance fixes for one reason or another.
    PC | EU 1600+ CP

Chews-On-Shrooms - Argonian (EP) | Healer Warden
    I know I have a problem, leave me alone:

Nirya Urayel - Altmer (EP) | Healer/Magicka Templar
    Ulen Favel - Dunmer (EP) | Magicka Nightblade
    Anise Favel - Dunmer (EP) | Magicka Dragonknight
    Vivienne Rielle - Breton (EP) | Hybrid Healer/Magicka Necromancer
    Gaspar Rielle - Breton (DC) | Magicka Sorcerer
    Ulfgar the Foul - Nord (EP) | Tank Necromancer
    Plays-With-Chains - Argonian (EP) | Tank Dragonknight
    Sonje the Wild - Nord (EP) | Tank Warden
    Brutus Lovidicus - Imperial (EP) | Tank Nightblade
    Velms Ienith - Dunmer (EP) | Tank Sorcerer
    Cassius Lanius - Imperial (EP) | Tank/Stamina Templar
    Shakar-gro-Khazgur - Orc (DC) | Stamina Dragonknight
    Liette Nightwind - Bosmer (AD) | Stamina Nightblade
    Ja'khar the Salty - Khajiit (EP) | Stamina Necromancer
    Saadia al-Tava - Redguard (EP) | Stamina Sorcerer
    Gwinas Hemp-Burner - Bosmer (EP) | Stamina Warden
    Grand Master Crafter, All Dungeon HM up to Stonethorn, vCrag HM, vDSA, vMA, Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, vHOF HM, vAS+2, Gryphon Heart, vBRP, vSS HM (Extinguisher of Flames),
    vKA HM (Shield of the North), vRG 1/3HM
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The card game was innovative and something new. It’s a great idea.
  • Iron_Warrior
    Iron_Warrior
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think development time could've been spent on something else more important or another better feature.
    Very simple, if i want to play a card game, i will go and play a card game.
  • ZigoSid
    ZigoSid
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't dislike it as I haven't even tested it, and it could be cool.

But being the main gameplay feature of the upcoming chapter is kinda meh. That and the fact that the collector have a simple outfit motif like events one instead of a real full motif like all others collectors kinda disappoint me.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too soon to have much of an opinion, so right now the issue is how they intend to monetize it. Unless they don't, my guess is that I won't like it. :smile:
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • AJones43865
    AJones43865
    ✭✭✭✭
    This years global reveal, in total, convinced me that ZOS is winding down it's investment into ESO and they aren't going back. If you look at how over the last couple years new content has been getting smaller and smaller and is less related to the original base game, with essentially all content, mounts etc. being a reskinned version of things we already have, it appears ZOS is on track to cease all investments into ESO in a couple years or so. I am now wholly convinced that ZOS is not investing anything into ESO they don't absolutely have to and it's unlikely they are making the investments required to fix any performance issues. I'd like to be wrong, but based on the evidence I am not.

I mean, this year even one of the 'perks' for pre-ordering the collectors bundle is an emote that we already have. ??? (/ownthrone is not new)
    Edited by AJones43865 on 31 January 2022 16:49
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have no strong feelings about it. My current intention is to try it out on the PTS, and form an opinion then.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know enough about it to have a strong opinion either way. I am have no issue with tavern style games in an MMO to spice things up. That said, I have zero interest in most fantasy style card games. I don't find them entertaining or enjoyable. I really hope ZOS thinks hard about the rewards they attach to this game. If the next PVP/PVE meta mythic item has a lead tied to a card game, I am not going to be happy about it.

The only real experience I have with card games in Video Games are Gwent (Witcher) and Caravan (Fallout). I avoided both like the plague (although, it turns out humans dont actually do that).

If I want to play cards, I will go to Vegas for the weekend.
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This years global reveal, in total, convinced me that ZOS is winding down it's investment into ESO and they aren't going back. If you look at how over the last couple years new content has been getting smaller and smaller and is less related to the original base game, with essentially all content, mounts etc. being a reskinned version of things we already have, it appears ZOS is on track to cease all investments into ESO in a couple years or so. I am now wholly convinced that ZOS is not investing anything into ESO they don't absolutely have to and it's unlikely they are making the investments required to fix any performance issues. I'd like to be wrong, but based on the evidence I am not.

I mean, this year even one of the 'perks' for pre-ordering the collectors bundle is an emote that we already have. ??? (/ownthrone is not new)

I actually pointed out the "Own throne" issue to ZOS when I first discovered it and there was actually an adverting error. "Own Throne" is not being reused as a reward. This is what was said to me:
    Hi @ArchangelIsraphel. Thanks for noting this. We have updated the website to reflex this. This was an oversite and is being fixed now. Sorry for the wrong image.

ATTN: The current graphic of High Isle Collector's Edition items shows the incorrect image for one emote in the High Isle emote pack. The “Own the Throne” emote was in the Ayleid Crown Crate. The emote that will be in the CE is called "Elite Seat" - new screenshot coming soon.
    Legends never die
    Legends never die
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'll wait and see. Maybe I'll like it, maybe I won't. I usually get the Chapters for the trial and the motifs anyway, not the extra stuff.

I know I was underwhelmed by Antiquities, but I really did enjoy them. When they announced Companions, I was like "why?" but then they released and it ended up being useful in a way. I don't regret either of them. Besides, I've also gotten a lot of mileage out of both of those Chapters' other features, so the extra was more of a side diversion than anything else.

Would I rather have had something else? Yes, of course. I'd love to see spears come in - I've missed them for ages, and I really would like to see the art team's variations on 100+ racial spear looks. Plus the need to go back and get the spears for all item sets could really bring people back to old zones/dungeons. But I know how this forum is - if they did that, the entire frontpage would be "omg just give us the spear if we have the set transmute cost below 50 I hate running Fang Lair!!1!1!" Heck, I'd even bristle if they ended up adding a 15th motif chapter we had to collect 100+ versions of instead of just unlocking spears with the staff page.

So we'll see. Maybe it'll be fun. Maybe it'll be boring. But it's not the only thing the chapter's providing for $40. And if we wanted to be technical, $40 today isn't even as much as $40 two years ago due to inflation.
    It was a mistake. Here's the reports (yes, another thing they only said on twitter so I had to find out from an alternate source...

If you look at the Chapter ad in-game, the icon they used is the correct one. Granted it's just a thumbnail, but it is different.
  • acw37162
    acw37162
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The team at ZOS will make a compelling mini game

I don't like or play card games and the team at ZOS while producing nice content also has a habit of locking things inside that force you to play said content to get the rewards. The examples are numerous OP weapons in solo arenas, mythics in antiquities, PVP skill line,

Which means they are going to lock something behind the card game you will have to play the card game to achieve.

I don't like card games and if I did like card games I would go buy anyone the hundreds of card games currently on the market that I could put on my mobile device and play anywhere without having to be logged into the game.

In all likelihood they decided not to add a new class, new weapons, or new skills while they are basically rebuilding the whole game under the hood. I would much prefer they just say that then offer up a card game but then I am biased against card games because I don't enjoy them.

The card game causes the worst possible reaction from me. I just don't care not mad, not happy, not excited. I did not and will not pre-order
  • AJones43865
    AJones43865
    ✭✭✭✭

I actually pointed out the "Own throne" issue to ZOS when I first discovered it and there was actually an adverting error. "Own Throne" is not being reused as a reward. This is what was said to me:
    Hi @ArchangelIsraphel. Thanks for noting this. We have updated the website to reflex this. This was an oversite and is being fixed now. Sorry for the wrong image.

ATTN: The current graphic of High Isle Collector's Edition items shows the incorrect image for one emote in the High Isle emote pack. The “Own the Throne” emote was in the Ayleid Crown Crate. The emote that will be in the CE is called "Elite Seat" - new screenshot coming soon.

That is hilarious! Thank you for posting it.

However, seeing yet more scrambling and errors from ZOS does not make me more confident. And I will never be on twitter or facebook or any other social media, so anything ZOS posts there will not reach this customer, or any other that shuns social media.
    Edited by AJones43865 on 31 January 2022 17:08
  • santhoranb16_ESO
    santhoranb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    If i want to play a card game, i play a good /best and the _for me_ most interesting card game. i Dont need a card game attached to ESO, its a waste , there are plentyful good card games out there. I want ESO for being ESO: Story,RP, RPG and playing that with friends. If my friend and i are in the mood of a card game we play a card game.

in short: get ESO BETTER! Improve ESO! Repair (PvP!) it finally! Dont add something totally off, its like adding a formula-1 mode into eso, im not into sports games if i wanted to play get i would know where to look- but i want to play ESO!

So get me more content on ESO and spent your development time there and not on CARD games.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    in short: get ESO BETTER! Improve ESO! Repair (PvP!) it finally! Dont add something totally off, its like adding a formula-1 mode into eso, im not into sports games if i wanted to play get i would know where to look- but i want to play ESO!

I can imagine that many Cyrodiil players would welcome Formula 1 mounts... :smile:

That, however, will leave them less time to play ToT...
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

That is hilarious! Thank you for posting it.

However, seeing yet more scrambling and errors from ZOS does not make me more confident. And I will never be on twitter or facebook or any other social media, so anything ZOS posts there will not reach this customer, or any other that shuns social media.

They should have announced it in a pinned thread, I'll grant you that. The information is currently buried in the giant official High Isle thread because I asked here on the forums. To my knowledge no social media posts have been made at all regarding the issue as I don't follow that stuff either. (ETA: Oops, looks like there has been social media posts. Wish they'd post that stuff on the forums instead !)
    Edited by ArchangelIsraphel on 31 January 2022 17:39
    Legends never die
    Legends never die
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think a card game makes sense in ESO. ESO is a mmorpg not a card game.
    I have enjoyed CCGs, including MTG and my first, the Star Wars CCG, but it makes nooo sense to exist within the world itself as these games are, in a way, a different a more abstract way of interacting within that world. In MTG I could have a deck of dragons, elven druids, vampiric assassins, some crazy mix, etc. So now, what, I can be a vampire playing with a deck of vampires? What is this? Elder Scrolls Inception???

A mini game that fit within the actual world, like tavern games, swan stones, foxes & felines, etc. could be fun although not something I think should be the main feature of an expansion, but rather a fun extra in addition the a main feature of a new class, skill line, weapon morph, or pvp feature, etc.

Truly, after the 2021 recap and PvP update, I was expected no new feature this year and I would have been okay with that if the zone and story were well done and I felt the effort were instead going to strengthening the games foundation, improving performance, maybe even some additional QoL features. But this? No, it made me angry. Give the ESL fans an app. Keep ESO an MMORPG.
  • freespirit
    freespirit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Love card games, it is the first year for a while that I have already decided to pre-order!

Speaking to friends in game a high percentage are of the same opinion.
    When people say to me........
    "You're going to regret that in the morning"
    I sleep until midday cos I'm a problem solver!
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Does cards help us in Cyrodiil? No? Didn't think so.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--