Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Overland Content Feedback Thread

• disky
    disky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wolfsilver wrote: »
    Well, what about the idea of making the story bosses solo instances, like how you do for the main quest? Or not merely taking into account cp level, but the players skill set up, and gear sets? Or even taking into account what CP perks the player has invested in?

My issue with this is that bosses are only a fraction of the problem. What I want is to be challenged in all of overland, not just bosses. And personally I feel like global difficulty settings would be far, far easier to implement than instancing for specific parts of the world. It just sounds like a less elegant and less effective solution.
  • Jammy420
    Jammy420
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Put it this way... I started playing ESO recently with my 8 year old son and even he is complaining its too easy lol i mean cmon now.

And I could find someone who says it's too difficult or just right. All this proves is that some think it's too easy and others don't.

How could it possibly be too difficult? I stopped playing the game, because even the easiest games out there have more a difficulty curve than this game. Even Stardew Valley is more difficult and the combat more memorable at this point.
    Braffin wrote: »
    Having an overland gear set and build isn't different to other builds tho, but artifically limiting build options, because 99% of available sets and 95% of available builds are overkill for this content has nothing to do with creating a build anymore. That's just pointless.

In my opinion, creating gear and a build that satisfies the desire for a more challenging experience in overland isn't pointless. I do not undestand why something that can help give players that experience is unacceptable.

Overland is never going to be challenging for an experienced player with powerful gear and builds, and that is fine for many of us because we know that overland isn't a challenging part of the game. But for those that would like a quality of life change so they can enjoy it more, well the options are limited. It would behoove players to look at what is more likely to be implemented.

We don't ask for challenging overland but mainly for somewhat immersive overland, at least difficult enough to make "being the hero" believable.

Creating a build is an essential part of every rpg since pen&paper times. Removing all talents, perks and equipment (in eso skills, CP and gear) the player earned to play the game has nothing to do with creating a build tho.

It's basically reverting the levelling process and trying to undo the build creation you're pretending to fulfill.

Additional options are what is asked for, not elimination of existing choices.

This, exactly this, at this point any joe schmoe can be a greatest hero that ever existed with how easy it is.
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    Level 50+ character with no attributes or CP assigned. No gear equipped except a weapon.

https://youtu.be/EN-Ixn0tFzs?si=O1YeOoTDeM894kSA

My main

https://youtu.be/WTDxmuSRNto?si=_AkjrdOaAxtgF0j6

Yes, getting rid of power would help. As would a slider or a separate instance. Mobs already have mechs.

Fantastic example! So thats proof that a debuff slider or food or whatever would absolutely work.

Or they could just have another instance, instead of people having to gimp themselves for simply playing the game and using random gear.

I spent the last year spending time on other games, and even on the easiest of difficulties, I have not found any game that is as easy as this games overland. It is nigh insulting how easy it is. No one is asking for hardmode being forced on anyone, but a seperate instance, with unique rewards for people who are willing to try, is good incentive. People should be encouraged to get better with practice. No one wants it to become a second job, but keeping it this easy, might as well remove all gear from the game.
  • valenwood_vegan
    valenwood_vegan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jammy420 wrote: »

And I could find someone who says it's too difficult or just right. All this proves is that some think it's too easy and others don't.

How could it possibly be too difficult? I stopped playing the game, because even the easiest games out there have more a difficulty curve than this game. Even Stardew Valley is more difficult and the combat more memorable at this point.

Is this a real question? You... understand that you are not the only person playing this game, right? And before you start with me, I actually want harder overland difficulty, it's just that I also have the ability to consider other people.
    Edited by valenwood_vegan on 16 January 2024 15:22
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Is this a real question? You... understand that you are not the only person playing this game, right? And before you start with me, I actually want harder overland difficulty, it's just that I also have the ability to consider other people.

thank you.
    I've had difficulty with story quest fights when i was new years ago and even now sometimes.

i hope zos eventually adds some optional difficulty for y'all
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • Jammy420
    Jammy420
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I would argue I am indeed taking the majority into consideration. I am willing to bet that most people playing this game find it, and I think this was backed up by a poll a while back, that overland is not engaging at all, and that it is far too easy. I would put my money on that the amount of people who the overland is catering towards, is far lower than those who find it too easy. You are selling people way short.
    LunaFlora wrote: »

thank you.
    I've had difficulty with story quest fights when i was new years ago and even now sometimes.

That is how it should be, at the beginning it should be a challenge, no one is asking for forced hardmode. People are asking for an optional ENGAGING mode.

There is an ocean of possibility between the game being so easy I can roll my face across the keyboard and win, and so difficult that everyone quits. No need to be so absolute.
    Edited by Jammy420 on 16 January 2024 16:18
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I would argue I am indeed taking the majority into consideration. I am willing to bet that most people playing this game find it, and I think this was backed up by a poll a while back, that overland is not engaging at all, and that it is far too easy. I would put my money on that the amount of people who the overland is catering towards, is far lower than those who find it too easy. You are selling people way short.

thank you.

That is how it should be, at the beginning it should be a challenge, no one is asking for forced hardmode. People are asking for an optional ENGAGING mode.

There is an ocean of possibility between the game being so easy I can roll my face across the keyboard and win, and so difficult that everyone quits. No need to be so absolute.

i didn't say it was only challenging at the beginning i said "I've had difficulty with story quest fights when i was new years ago and even now sometimes."

and "i hope zos eventually adds some optional difficulty for y'all "
    so i agree optional.

but it doesn't have to be a challenge so difficult that i can't actually defeat a story boss, that's what i had when i was new and others that have been playing for a while still have.

i hope for optional difficulty would also include an easier difficulty,
    because for me the game isn't so easy that i can roll my face across the keyboard and win even if it is for you.
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • disky
    disky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No one is asking for hardmode being forced on anyone, but a seperate instance, with unique rewards for people who are willing to try, is good incentive.

I agreed with everything in your reply except for this. A separate instance would be unnecessary, would split the playerbase and would possibly be more effort to implement than utilizing the systems they already have available for instanced content and PvP and applying them to overland. You can make things more challenging for individual players if they elect to enable it without needing to separate anyone.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The devs have stated in the past the vast majority of the players enjoy the story and exploration. They'd know better than anyone as they have the entire population data to work with.
    The vast majority of our player base loves the exploration, loves the lore, loves the story side of things. So we focus a lot of our time and effort on that. Two of our four major updates every year are focused on story and exploration. The other two are focused on quality of life, are focused on group-oriented activities with the dungeons or adding new systems.

In a nutshell, players want to see that you are going to put the effort into improving the game over time. And if you continue to do that, they’re going to stay and play and have a good time.

It doesn't mean they can't do a vet overland. It's no excuse not to do so. They have a ton of niche content. You think the majority play the card game? Yet, it always gets new decks. They should have implemented a difficulty option a long time ago imo. I think a slider is the best solution as it doesn't split the playerbase or have the same reward issue.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on 16 January 2024 16:43
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

We have recently removed some unnecessary back and forth from this thread. This is a reminder to keep the discussion civil and constructive. Please keep our Community Rules in mind moving forward.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • terrible1fi
    terrible1fi
    Soul Shriven
    echoing what has been said by many, the overland difficulty being too easy makes me less interested in playing the game tbh. Its way too easy, even if I don't do anything I will still win battles with enemies.

Surely it would be possible to add a setting that would make me do less damage to enemies, while also making them do more damage to me right?

If enabled for instance, I would only do 50% of normal damage, while enemies would do an extra 50% damage to me as well. That way I can still fight side by side with other players who are playing in "normal" mode. As a reward, maybe these players could have extra xp and gold
  • disky
    disky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If an optional overland challenge mode is made available, there are a number of levers which can be pulled to add a increase the sense of difficulty which don't need to involve the addition of instancing or new mechanics. Some are obvious, some less so, but this is my list so far:

Increased:
    - Damage to players
    - Buff/debuff duration/strength from enemies
    - Skills/spells cost
    - Core combat abilities cost
    - Enemy aggro range
    - Guard lethality/detection range

Decreased:
    - Damage from players
    - Buff/debuff duration/strength from players
    - Total attribute values/regeneration
    - Consumable duration/strength
    - Damage shield strength
    - Healing done/taken
    - Movement/mount speed
    - Stealth radius
    - Harvesting/loot values

Other Ideas Presented By Community:
    - NPC Ambush

I'm sure some of these would be unpopular but they seem like valid ideas and I guess I'm a glutton for punishment, because I'd like to try them all. If you can think of more (reasonable!) ideas, please contribute.

Next, feature implementation becomes the big question - a toggle, individual toggles, a slider or individual sliders? Debuff food? I'd love to have as much freedom as possible but no one can lay expectations on ZOS for this, so one has to assume that the simplest possible implementation, should it ever actually happen, would be the most likely.
    Edited by disky on 21 January 2024 14:17
  • Lucifer1309
    Lucifer1309
    Soul Shriven
    Could there be a slider that reduces your stats like PVP does now? And make your XP/gold/mats from kills increase by a percentage for each difficulty increase?
  • SMG_Spytock
    SMG_Spytock
    ✭✭
    So Ive read evey post in here, started a few months ago for an hour a day lol. My wife and I started playing when elsweyr came out so I have never experienced the game in the begining. We are mostly casuals with "skills", meaning we played other video games together ( lots of borderlands, monster hunter. destiny etc). Even when we first started, I can clearly remember telling myself, at lvl 3, : "why the hell am I killing everything so fast". Even with some green gear from monsters and a very basic understanding of how the combat works, you can complete almost 100% of the overland questing/main solo quest.

For me its a bit boring tbh, Ive played lotro with the difficulty slider they added and it was like a new game for me, It works really good.

The stories are so good in ESO, id really love a slider like that to make the overland questing a bit more challenging for us.
  • disky
    disky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could there be a slider that reduces your stats like PVP does now? And make your XP/gold/mats from kills increase by a percentage for each difficulty increase?

I can't speak for ZOS but I do think they could make some form of PvP-style debuff work, yes. As for increasing the rewards I wouldn't expect it to happen, because anyone who chooses not to enable the mode would feel like they're missing out. Getting the feature implemented is what's most important and any controversy would potentially ruin that chance. For what it's worth, increasing the rewards makes sense to me too, but not if it causes trouble in the community.

For me, if the game wasn't fun before and it is fun now, that's all the reward I need.
    Edited by disky on 18 January 2024 18:44
  • disky
    disky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me its a bit boring tbh, Ive played lotro with the difficulty slider they added and it was like a new game for me, It works really good.

Wait, LOTRO did a slider? How'd that work out? I'd love to hear more. Kudos for going through this whole thread by the way, that sounds like quite the challenge itself.
    Edited by disky on 18 January 2024 18:50
  • SMG_Spytock
    SMG_Spytock
    ✭✭

Wait, LOTRO did a slider? How'd that work out? I'd love to hear more.

https://lotro-wiki.com/wiki/Landscape_Difficulty

there
  • Aliniel
    Aliniel
    ✭✭✭✭
    I dropped my weapon to level 1. Purple quality for some extra experience. No enchant, no poison.
    CP 10 armor with training traits and no set at all and no enchants. I could go lower but it doesn't give me anything anyway.
    I don't wear any jewelry.
    All dmg champion perks removed.

The story content is still too easy.
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No overland difficulty in 2024.
  • Fata1moose
    Fata1moose
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still waiting for a vet overland I guess. 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    mocap wrote: »

I wouldn't be so sure about that. It was always unlikely for vet overland to be done as chapter system, as it's more of a QoL-feature. Would be fitting for Q3.
    Never get between a cat and it's candy!
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
  • Fata1moose
    Fata1moose
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mocap wrote: »

I wouldn't be so sure about that. It was always unlikely for vet overland to be done as chapter system, as it's more of a QoL-feature. Would be fitting for Q3.
    I think it would likely be Q4 system. Q3 is usually bug fixes and smaller QoL.
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All the players that have been waiting for the Overland Difficulty, I'll see you in 2025 hoping for the best.
  • Aliniel
    Aliniel
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's been 3 years of this thread and nothing was done. Nothing was even attempted. Like how hard is it to give us a potion or something to reduce our overall strength? It would be totally optional and no one who doesn't want it doesn't need to take it.

Just, for the love of god, make the gameplay enjoyable again...
  • Jammy420
    Jammy420
    ✭✭✭✭✭

thank you.

i didn't say it was only challenging at the beginning i said "I've had difficulty with story quest fights when i was new years ago and even now sometimes."

and "i hope zos eventually adds some optional difficulty for y'all "
    so i agree optional.

but it doesn't have to be a challenge so difficult that i can't actually defeat a story boss, that's what i had when i was new and others that have been playing for a while still have.

i hope for optional difficulty would also include an easier difficulty,
    because for me the game isn't so easy that i can roll my face across the keyboard and win even if it is for you.

I would love for there to be at least a few difficult ones. Practice makes perfect shouldnt be a bad thing.
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    The devs have stated in the past the vast majority of the players enjoy the story and exploration. They'd know better than anyone as they have the entire population data to work with.
    The vast majority of our player base loves the exploration, loves the lore, loves the story side of things. So we focus a lot of our time and effort on that. Two of our four major updates every year are focused on story and exploration. The other two are focused on quality of life, are focused on group-oriented activities with the dungeons or adding new systems.

In a nutshell, players want to see that you are going to put the effort into improving the game over time. And if you continue to do that, they’re going to stay and play and have a good time.

It doesn't mean they can't do a vet overland. It's no excuse not to do so. They have a ton of niche content. You think the majority play the card game? Yet, it always gets new decks. They should have implemented a difficulty option a long time ago imo. I think a slider is the best solution as it doesn't split the playerbase or have the same reward issue.

Considering the performance update and the years worth of tests that did absolutely nothing, I would argue that point that the devs always know better
    Aliniel wrote: »
    It's been 3 years of this thread and nothing was done. Nothing was even attempted. Like how hard is it to give us a potion or something to reduce our overall strength? It would be totally optional and no one who doesn't want it doesn't need to take it.

Just, for the love of god, make the gameplay enjoyable again...

Nah, I do not want some half hearted 0 effort attempt. If they are going to do it, it needs to be something fleshed out and tested. I do agree though, it is beyond frustrating, I have been playing since beta, and have ... probably thousands of euro invested in the game, and it is painful not being able to play because of the lack of any effort in making overland actually playable for people who do not want a graphic novel.
    Edited by Jammy420 on 19 January 2024 00:50
  • AlexanderDeLarge
    AlexanderDeLarge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another year of ignoring The Elder Scrolls Online because they won't give us a simple debuff memento as the absolute bare minimum.

Time to update my signature. Important milestone.
    Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 10 years. 7 paid expansions. 22 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the vast majority of this game.

"ESO doesn't need a harder overland" on YouTube for a video of a naked level 3 character AFKing in front of a bear for a minute and a half before dying
  • GatheredMyst
    GatheredMyst
    ✭✭✭
    It's not coming.

"Similarly, open-world content is balanced for casual play; ZOS is not going to make the open-world game or story content too hard because they don’t want people to quit. People who want challenge are funneled into dungeons." ~Rich, paraphrased by Massively

Source: https://massivelyop.com/2024/01/18/elder-scrolls-onlines-gold-road-chapter-takes-players-back-to-oblivions-best-city-on-june-3/

I'm going to try my best to be constructive here, but I can't help but say this honestly: this response is tone deaf. There is a difference between casual and brain dead. Story bosses dying in seconds. Overland mobs melting under AE's if you're using green quality gear. Mobs being more of a nuisance than anything else. The intricacy of my build not mattering at all because I will barely get to use more than a few abilities every encounter outside of a dungeon or world boss.

This is seriously what the devs feel is "casual"? This is legit the state that the devs *want* to leave the game in for the grand majority of released content? That's astonishing to me. I cannot fathom how this is "good enough".

And you know what? Fine and dandy to those who want to turn their brain off when they come home from a hard day of work and just watch story-lines play out like a movie. I don't want to take away from their enjoyment of the game either. Most people, myself included, are only hoping for the *option* of being able to engage ourselves while playing the game for all of the big releases and expansion launches, and we can't do that unless we buckle ourselves into a raid team?

That's disappointing. It's disheartening. And it about takes the air out of my sails looking forward to future releases. The quality of systems and content that this team puts out is incredibly high quality. Scribing looks like a great foundation that can be built upon for future releases to continue expanding player choice. I even love the little side activities like antiquities. I've spent more hours than I care to count in the card game because I think it's really well done.

But... I also want to feel like i'm playing a video game when I engage content outside of those things, and it seems the devs have completely written that off. The only place i'm going to find not even a challenge, but something that closely resembles a balanced game-play experience, is a dungeon or raid?

What a friggin' shame.

You all are talented people. But I can't subscribe or purchase something that doesn't engage me, and looking at the number of posts in this thread, it seems like your decision to ignore even the thought of an option is a huge mistake.
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shoving all posts about harder overland into this post to "consolidate feedback", just to openly state that it's not coming is pretty slimy.
  • Aardappelboom
    Aardappelboom
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have to agree, I sadly don't enjoy the story content anymore after years of playing. I'm still interested in the zone but it's just not my cup of tea, which is fine but sill dissapointing.

They should fully embrace the skillgap in both highskill and lowskill situations, which means storymode for dungeons and veteranmode for overland and delves.

There's an appeal to all content for everyone, but for most there's just no going back to lower difficulty once you've dabbled in higher level content and PVP. The funneling idea sadly doesn't work in that way. The same thing can be said for beginning players who can't get into a dungeon or have a rushing party instead of being able to enjoy the sotry.

It is very clear that there's no intention to do something about this, they've clearly decided on their approach and that is fine and good news for whoever enjoys the story as-is, it's clearly succesful in what
    It it does.
  • jad11mumbler
    jad11mumbler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Icy wrote: »
    Greetings,

We have recently removed some unnecessary back and forth from this thread. This is a reminder to keep the discussion civil and constructive. Please keep our Community Rules in mind moving forward.

Entire thread is unnecessary back and forth at this point.

Notably a few character's who keep returning.

Another year where ZoS actively plans to Not do anything to address harder overland

Wild that there's enough demand for it to warrant it's own Dev Thread to stop there being too many posts, yet "It's only a slim minority."
    Which didn't stop ZoS from adding a card game, companions...
    174 characters and counting over 13 accounts.

120 writ certified. 73 at CP rank.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Icy wrote: »
    Greetings,

Entire thread is unnecessary back and forth at this point.

Notably a few character's who keep returning.

Another year where ZoS actively plans to Not do anything to address harder overland

Wild that there's enough demand for it to warrant it's own Dev Thread to stop there being too many posts, yet "It's only a slim minority."
    Which didn't stop ZoS from adding a card game, companions...

It's not because "enough demand". It's because there were so many threads repeating the same stuff week in and week out that Kevin decided to sticky it here.

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....