Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Overland Content Feedback Thread

• tokeinskyblu
    tokeinskyblu
    ✭✭✭
    That's the crazy thing. The developers go through all the trouble of making the boss fights, with voice acting and mechanics. Then completely nerf it to make it anticlimatic and brain dead easy.

Same with puzzles. I enjoyed the puzzles in wrothgar and working through morowind now. But the newest expansions hold your hand far too much and just give you an answer.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hanoan wrote: »
    Elsonso wrote: »
    I have concerns that enough people would use this to make it worth the effort, though.

In LOTRO every second player (or more from what I saw) uses difficulty slider, I do not see why it should be different in ESO.

My expectation is that many players would use it. Most of them would slide it all the way to "Cheese Mode", if that is not already the default, and then never touch it again. :smile: A relative few would use it as intended by this thread. My concern is related to how large this latter group is compared to everyone else who plays.
    Edited by Elsonso on 29 September 2023 16:50
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know who would need a cheese mode for Overland, apart from a small amount of people in very particular situations. Overland items are largely not worth much and Overland is easy to do.
  • CameraBeardThePirate
    CameraBeardThePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have concerns that enough people would use this to make it worth the effort, though.

In LOTRO every second player (or more from what I saw) uses difficulty slider, I do not see why it should be different in ESO.

My expectation is that many players would use it. Most of them would slide it all the way to "Cheese Mode", if that is not already the default, and then never touch it again. :smile: A relative few would use it as intended by this thread. My concern is related to how large this latter group is compared to everyone else who plays.

How many players do you think can complete veteran dungeons? Not even DLC dungeons - just vet.

For any player that can do veteran content, overland is a joke. And even that's likely being conservative - if you can easily complete a normal dungeon, you'll have 0 trouble with overland.

That makes the quests go to waste.
  • angelch17
    angelch17
    Soul Shriven
    I paid real life money for this chapter! Why the heck are crafting items that are required for current (Apocrypha area) furniture recipes locked behind dungeons and not available in overland some way for those who do not do dungeons?

I prefer crafting items, delving, questing and the like. I should not be forced to do group dungeons in order to get the crafting supplies for a main areas recipes. And with this event there have been many Apocrypha recipes dropping. With a minimal way to even craft them. It’s not right that those of us who don’t group to basically be penalized in our crafting as all furniture crafting materials should be accessible to all people in multiple ways. Especially those who have paid money for the Necrom chapter and any other chapter that has any materials locked behind a group dungeon or Trial, Arena, etc. They should create specific dungeon furnishings not lock required overland recipe materials behind them.

If there is a way other than being forced to either group dungeon or buy in guild store for unreasonable amounts then please tell me what I’m missing? As I have a bunch of the funery wraps for making Necrom furniture from the event but not a single Glass Eye of Mora to even craft a single Apocrypha one.

Telvanni Peninsula and Apocrypha are part of the same chapter and as such the crafting materials should be able to be found in a similar manner. (Via event coffers, chests, etc.)

• Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How many players do you think can complete veteran dungeons? Not even DLC dungeons - just vet.

I dunno, but I think the number of people who do any veteran content on a regular basis is probably considerably less than half the number who do normal dungeons on a regular basis. This is based on various dev comments over the years.
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I dunno, but I think the number of people who do any veteran content on a regular basis is probably considerably less than half the number who do normal dungeons on a regular basis. This is based on various dev comments over the years.

Source?

Otherwise I assume your statement is just wishful thinking.
    Never get between a cat and it's candy!
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
  • remingtonsteal
    I wish we had overland difficulty to make it relevant. Soo much amazing quest, voice acted and DLC content going to waste as the gameplay is soo mind numbingly easy and unrewarding to do. If we would have a world tier system with increasing difficulties and multiple tiers with increasing rewards. Would work like new game + which eventually would even make group questing relevant. This would be a way to make all this content fun and relevant. I quite the game 5 years ago and keep checking if this has changed yet. Based on demand I see I'm not the only one. Add a new game + system and rewards to work towards in questing world I would actually buy all the dlc in a heart beat
  • o_Primate_o
    o_Primate_o
    ✭✭✭
    Sure, you could change the difficulty setting but how would it scale when two ppl fighting same NPC, one on easy and other on hard mode? I think best option is to nerf player's damage and resistances.
    Xbox NASLEDGEHAMMER X
  • o_Primate_o
    o_Primate_o
    ✭✭✭
    Remember the old days when an imp could kill you? Lol
    Xbox NASLEDGEHAMMER X
  • lurkin777
    lurkin777
    ✭✭✭
    It always gets me that players complain about over land being to easy. Of coarse it is going to become easy when you upgrade all of your armor and weapons to the max and then make a make a max tuned build.

Not everyone goes for a meta build. It needs to be at a level that all can do it!
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    lurkin777 wrote: »
    It always gets me that players complain about over land being to easy. Of coarse it is going to become easy when you upgrade all of your armor and weapons to the max and then make a make a max tuned build.

Not everyone goes for a meta build. It needs to be at a level that all can do it!

My dude, one of the most commonly made points on this thread is that overland is too easy in all white gear with no CP assigned. Overland is too easy five minutes after you make your character. This isn't about meta builds.

Of course overland needs to be accessible to everybody. Read the thread; what more or less everyone is asking for is optional difficulty for those who find it more fun and immersive.
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • erdYrrson
    erdYrrson
    ✭✭✭
    Keep it as it is. Can only speak for myself and I like it the way it is, without any difficulty modes and similar stuff. In some way it will impact the whole player base - and even if it is only because the game code becomes more complicated and the bug list longer, eventually ... inevitably ...

The only true hard mode for overland I could see for the really committed player: the no rewards mode; no drops, no harvesting, no farming, no experience points, no loot in any way... not even an achievement or title.
    Oh yes, being immersive: first person view only.
  • Shagreth
    Shagreth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leveling an alt now after a very long time, and I can't express how sleepy it makes me. It would be amazing if there was some kind of tiering system for overland (akin to Diablo games) but that of course would require a lot of work, and worthwhile rewards.
  • jad11mumbler
    jad11mumbler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do y'all think ZoS actually want to hear feedback on overland or just made this post so we'd put all our complaints into this one spot?

Cause last we heard they still have no plans of addressing it so..
    174 characters and counting over 13 accounts.

120 writ certified. 73 at CP rank.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do y'all think ZoS actually want to hear feedback on overland or just made this post so we'd put all our complaints into this one spot?

They stickied this thread because the proliferation of multiple threads about harder overland on a daily (sometimes hourly) basis was making the forum a mess and difficult for people to find other info on. Kevin addressed that in the first post on page 1.

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • jad11mumbler
    jad11mumbler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »

They stickied this thread because the proliferation of multiple threads about harder overland on a daily (sometimes hourly) basis was making the forum a mess and difficult for people to find other info on. Kevin addressed that in the first post on page 1.

ah yes page 1 from 2 years ago.

But Yes, just a place to brush aside the feedback. So I guess the discussions over 2 years in the last 182 pages have been pointless.

• SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They did address it. They stated that there are no major changes planned for overland difficulty which you can read on page 102 post #3053, summarized in the quote below:

IKYMI: Rich's Quote on Overland Content
    "That's a difficult one because difficulty is definitely subjective. We have millions of players that play The Elder Scrolls Online, and a large portion of them find the game hard and the Overland content challenging, especially as a new player when you don't have gold, all the gear, and Champion Points. Ultimately it comes down to, if we make the game harder, what are the incentives for players to play it at the harder level? That opens up a whole huge can of worms. I also look back and remember we had harder Overland content. We had Cadwell Silver, we had Cadwell Gold, and players really didn't like it. It was too hard for them, and when we did One Tamriel, we ripped all that out based on player feedback. Like, nobody did it. So it's a challenging subject and a difficult question to answer. All I can really say is we're definitely looking at it, but we don't have any major changes planned for the Overland difficulty."

They also stated that Bastion Nymics were one answer to overland difficulty:

"With that being said, we do recognize a lot of people want increased overland difficulty and the new world events (Bastion Nymics) that are instanced for up to 4 players in Necrom is one of our answers to that."

https://eso-u.com/articles/eso_developer_ama__las_vegas_global_reveal_2023
    PCNA
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, pretty much. At this point, I myself am able (for various and sundry reasons) to handle somewhat harder overland, so by now I just hope if they do decide to mess with it, whatever they do will be optional. If not optional, well.... I'll deal with it - at keast until I can't, and at that point I'll go back to Skyrim and Oblivion permanently.

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

• jad11mumbler
    jad11mumbler
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They did address it. They stated that there are no major changes planned for overland difficulty which you can read on page 102 post #3053, summarized in the quote below:

IKYMI: Rich's Quote on Overland Content
    "That's a difficult one because difficulty is definitely subjective. We have millions of players that play The Elder Scrolls Online, and a large portion of them find the game hard and the Overland content challenging, especially as a new player when you don't have gold, all the gear, and Champion Points. Ultimately it comes down to, if we make the game harder, what are the incentives for players to play it at the harder level? That opens up a whole huge can of worms. I also look back and remember we had harder Overland content. We had Cadwell Silver, we had Cadwell Gold, and players really didn't like it. It was too hard for them, and when we did One Tamriel, we ripped all that out based on player feedback. Like, nobody did it. So it's a challenging subject and a difficult question to answer. All I can really say is we're definitely looking at it, but we don't have any major changes planned for the Overland difficulty."

They also stated that Bastion Nymics were one answer to overland difficulty:

"With that being said, we do recognize a lot of people want increased overland difficulty and the new world events (Bastion Nymics) that are instanced for up to 4 players in Necrom is one of our answers to that."

https://eso-u.com/articles/eso_developer_ama__las_vegas_global_reveal_2023

I guess "Addressing it" was vague since the phrase has a few different uses.
    I specifically meant they have no plans to change anything and solve the issue opposed to them discussing it.

"All I can really say is we're definitely looking at it, but we don't have any major changes planned for the Overland difficulty"

• SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess "Addressing it" was vague since the phrase has a few different uses.
    I specifically meant they have no plans to change anything and solve the issue opposed to them discussing it.

"All I can really say is we're definitely looking at it, but we don't have any major changes planned for the Overland difficulty"

One reason there may be no plan to change it is because not everyone agrees that there is an issue that needs to be changed. Many players enjoy overland just as it is.
    PCNA
  • jad11mumbler
    jad11mumbler
    ✭✭✭✭✭

One reason there may be no plan to change it is because not everyone agrees that there is an issue that needs to be changed. Many players enjoy overland just as it is.

We've got 183 pages already going back and forth over every bit of that topic, with countless other threads.

But anyway my point was honestly more about the point of this thread, which there isn't one, other than to stop people from posting about it outside of this thread.

and since this thread is pointless...o/

/CloseThread.
    People gotta move on, it ain't happening.
    Edited by jad11mumbler on 21 October 2023 23:48

• TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well.... if this one gets closed, we'll be back to square one with nothing but "harder overland" threads all over the forum....

So let's just leave it open, 'k?

• barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    we do Not need a difficulty setting and we do Not need any changes whatsoever.

If you play the game, you see what happens ALL the time.

Players simply race past everything going from point A to point B. It happens All the time currently and no amount of changing things around will change it.

The Overland difficulty level ONLY applies IF players have to fight the mobs. Since changing the difficulty will not affect any gameplay, and will NOT be " More of a challenge " to Anyone, IMHO this whole topic is moot.

Why waste all the time and effort changing the code in the game when people are just going to ignore all the work that was put in?
  • Hanoan
    Hanoan
    ✭✭✭
    barney2525 wrote: »
    Players simply race past everything going from point A to point B. It happens All the time currently and no amount of changing things around will change it.

That is why people want harder overland; Current overland is kind of boring running simulator.

But no worries, it will stay the same boring running simulator - developers do not give a heck about this thread it seems.

Edited by Hanoan on 29 October 2023 23:03
  • YffresTrill
    YffresTrill
    ✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy questing and exploring despite the laughably weak overland mobs, but if a higher difficulty option existed, I would absolutely use it for immersion purposes, whether or not any extra rewards were offered -- the increased immersion is its own reward.

I played the game at launch and I found the difficulty in the veteran zones to be perfect. I do miss that experience.

Personally, I would support any option for increased difficulty, be it some sort of self-debuff, slider, challenge banners, or a full veteran overland. I would not support this being forced, and I would prefer there to be no increased rewards as I don't think players with lower skill or who simply prefer a super-laid back questing experience should be penalised in any way. This is, after all, supposed to be fun.

I've seen some people suggesting that you can take your gear off, use junk skills, become a vampire, etc., in order to debuff yourself and make questing more difficult, but for someone like me, that misses the point entirely -- I am already playing with off-meta RP builds, and it is still very very easy. I don't want to not use specific skills or sets, or pick up curses my characters are not meant to have, as these are the sorts of things that lend flavour to playing with a specific character and make them feel unique.
    Edited by YffresTrill on 29 October 2023 15:01
    @ Yffre'sTrill - PC/EU (No Steam)
    -
    Naering (Bosmer WW Archer - Valenwood separatist, Hircine-agnostic, honoured affiliate of the Gang of Scroungers.)
    Alts: Kunali, Free-as-Wind, Gurzog gro-Kosh, Seldril, Hatiba, Kareemal, Gilfirion, Elorwe, Ludvikke, Tsetha-Vos, Loulou Villeau, Nilvani, Horvund, Maritia, and Treads-the-Aurbis.
  • Anifaas
    Anifaas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the overland difficulty is perfect where it is.

Keeping the difficult game-play mostly behind closed doors (vet dungeons/trials/PvP) ensures that people who are not interested or ready for that content are kept out of harms way. Those wanting more difficult content need only enter one of the many systems in this game which provides such.

In MMOs like WoW you don't get to feel like you're achieving much unless you play the difficult content. In MMOs like Star Trek Online the only real endgame is dress up your space barbie. No difficulty at all.

On the other hand ZOS took the ambitious route of appeasing both groups and everyone else in between and I think that is what makes ESO so special. Overland in ESO is like good movie script: designed for everyone but with hidden thought-provoking/challenging components everywhere for those with the appetite to go searching.
  • Toxic_Hemlock
    Toxic_Hemlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't posted to this tread since page 60, so, yes, a very long time. That said, I have to applaud Zos for keeping the overland easy/relaxing in the game, otherwise I would only have crafting and logging out to look forward to. After being totally annoyed at the sheer amount of mechanics you are faced with in EA is is SO DAMN nice to chill whilst exploring.

I know many find EA to be fun, but to me it was another addition I will skip due to the multiple mechanics and my pets/companions dying too easily. Sure, I may never have the new class sets, but I will keep the fingernails I would have chewed off trying to stay alive in EA.

@ZOS_Kevin As it sits, overland may be "brain dead" easy to many, but to me it is the only place I can hang out without being stressed, and with so much harder content already in game, PLEASE DON'T take that away from me. I would still like to see an endless public dungeon added to the game that is much more relaxing based upon exploration instead of combat. With chests/secret areas and mini bosses, and varied locales it could be loads of fun. IMO though that will never happen, but at least let me keep overland.

Edit speling is hrd.
    Edited by Toxic_Hemlock on 14 November 2023 06:15
  • maboleth
    maboleth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pleas my ingi is no good, but keep th overlan kontent lik its. I layk him verry verry mach.
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Although overland in it's current easy state will never be immersive for me, I don't think anymore it's necessary to change it's difficulty as we got now EA to test our skill and enjoy meaningful combat encounters.

Two things are absolutely necessary long-term tho:
    1) EA doesn't recieve any unnecessary nerfs but stays at it's current state difficultywise.
    2) EA has to be treated as any other system of the game, thus recieving meaningful additions with major updates (new bosses, more verses and visions, cycling rewards etc.).

While the existing arenas (vma, vvs) were fun for quite some time, they got stale quickly after the initial learning process, simply because nothing ever changes in there. EA is different in this regard, offering players interested in meaningful combat encounters a much more varied experience, thus leading to higher long-term motivation.

I think it's a reasonable compromise and all players get (or keep) the playground they are looking for.
    Never get between a cat and it's candy!
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.