Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Impulse nerfed so bad

• beravinprb19_ESO
    beravinprb19_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Drexz wrote: »
    So what's your point? You're jealous so other's need to be punished? I don't understand. So why don't you use the same ability? It's not class specific. Spend more time arguing to make improvements you want to your class instead of how to ruin someone elses experience.
    I was jealous when Vampires sailed through armies of other players and killed them all as well. What do you know, Zenimax also thought that was a problem and they fixed it.
    Edited by beravinprb19_ESO on 23 May 2014 00:33
  • neuroelectub17_ESO
    ElSlayer wrote: »
    I perform better in comparsion to Impulse users now.
    So your build sucks and you want everyone to suck with you...

• Drexz
    Drexz
    ✭✭

Exactly. They don't complain when they "perform better". But God forbid they don't.
    Edited by Drexz on 23 May 2014 00:32
  • Drexz
    Drexz
    ✭✭
    So what's your point? You're jealous so other's need to be punished? I don't understand. So why don't you use the same ability? It's not class specific. Spend more time arguing to make improvements you want to your class instead of how to ruin someone elses experience.
    I was jealous when Vampires sailed through armies of other players and killed them all as well. What do you know, Zenimax also thought that was a problem and they fixed it.

You can't compare balance required in PvP to that of PvE. Computer controlled characters are a little more forgiving of getting owned.
  • Ashigaru
    Ashigaru
    ✭✭✭✭
    aeroch wrote: »
    Nightblade and crappy play-your-own-way builds aren't the golden standards that PvE or PvP should be balanced around

Sorry for the rant and ty for reading

But you see that is how the game was sold, to play the way you want to with whatever build you want to, to be able to mix and match. that is not the reality now. I play a templar and hell they hit us again and didn't even patch it, seems they always hit a templar for some reason.

The more changes they make the more they are forcing us to play a certain way, they are forcing us to quest now compared to the start where it was feasible to quest/grind mobs, they are nerfing the AE's so now we are forced to group more and they are nerfing the play ability of different builds which is forcing us into cookie cutter builds.

Whats odd to me is that they had a PTS build up for a year and they never made any of these changes until release, tells me the pts players did crap for testing or reporting stuff (which was pretty evident) and then they turned them loose with the only access to Craglorn and all you need to do is watch the twitch feeds and tubes, they spent most of the time trying to get the fastest runs on the trials and since that is a competition for better rewards it screws every non pts person for at least a month.

No matter the "freedom" this game is turning into every other quest grinding cookie cutter mmo out there.
  • beravinprb19_ESO
    beravinprb19_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    You're using a one sided and biased argument to try and tell me that I'm doing that same thing. Most of your points are a dilemma. "Why should person A have something that person B doesn't?" Those are also not reasons to make person A loose something.
    Okay, let's make some abstract examples.
    AoE abilities can use different mechanics:
    • Circle area around player
    • Conal area
    • Distant targetable area
    • Area around distant single target
    AoE ablilities can have different flavour:
    • Breathing
    • Placing trap
    • Exploding missile
    • Cloud
    • Spraying projectiles
    They can have special effects:
    • Stun
    • Snare
    • Placing DoT

Mechanics and flavour doesn't really matter much. All of them are usable and are better in some situations and worse in others.

BUT every ability should have DPM and DPS parameters around same value for same particular gear level. IF one is not, it should be balanced (nerfed or buffed).

If devs came to conclusion that some ability have better parameters than others, then it is "a reason to make person A loose something".
    This change has not improved your experience.
    You do realize, you can just get person B what person A has. However, person B tends to try and fight the battle of restricting person A. When they should be fighting the battle of improving their own experience.
    Also, that particular ability is open to anyone. It's not class specific. So if you want to use it, you can.
    I hate to quote myself, but...
    When one build greatly outperforms the others - be sure it would be used by majority of players. Do you want to play a game where everybody are the same? I don't.
    If you don't like it, don't use it.
    Fine, @Drexz. If you don't like it now - don't use it.

Are you applying for a job at ZOS? Nice little list you got there. Anyway...

You're still arguing that Person A should loose something that Person B does not have. Ignoring the fact that this particular something is available to both person A and B, you should be arguing to get person B an option to spec skills that will give them what person A has, instead of taking away from person A. Then, if you want to you can use those skills and be able to do the same. If you don't, then don't use them.
    He is saying A is better than B, and A needed to be adjusted or everyone would use it. Just look at shield bash and melee combat, you were almost an idiot for not using it.
    Edited by beravinprb19_ESO on 23 May 2014 00:36
  • ElSlayer
    ElSlayer
    ✭✭✭
    I will clarify for mr. Troll and others - by "I perform better" I meant "Non-impulse users perform better".

@d0e1ow: There is no singular thing within a game's little ecosystem that will convince you that you hate the game, hate your life, and hate everyone around you faster than the game's official forums will.

@TaffyIX: Life is too short to get upset by a video game.
  • moXrox
    moXrox
    ✭✭✭
    Impulse and AoE was fine. It still is fine, relatively, but it was an unnecessary adjustment. Make more noise about getting your class, weapon line, passives, whatever, fixed or buffed and quit demanding everyone else suffer in the meantime. Nightblade and crappy play-your-own-way builds aren't the golden standards that PvE or PvP should be balanced around
    Yes. Lets all get our abilities buffed to the point where we can hold block, spam something and come out ahead. I'm sure that will make for interesting and challenging gameplay.
    I love the change. Now people need to actually put some thought in when they try and AoE a mob, and they won't get away with spamming the same thing over and over.

So you like the change because it irritated you that someone else played that way? That's not a reason to change it.

And it's not spamming. I use all my abilities, plus my weapon swap to bow with a different setup. But I had a great synergy going. Now I can't do anything. But yes, since you are happy now that I can't play that way, this justifies it.

No. The change was good because we have hundreds of skills at out disposal, and mashing one of them over and over again because it eclipsed everything else was stupid.

I'm sorry, that sounds like your personal opinion. Also, I for one have other skills and weapon swap I use. I use impulse for finishing and it's synergy with critical surge for health regen. I've had some awesome fights where I got surprised by mobs and taken to 40% health, and thanks to that synergy was able to recover. That's awesome in my opinion, where being jumped by mobs does not guarantee a death. You have a setup that lets you recover and win. Calling something stupid is not a reason to change it. That is your person choice not to like something.
    Why yes, it was my personal opinion, well spotted. What you did with the ability did not matter. What mattered was people standing in a pack of 3, holding block, mashing Pulsar, and coming out ahead. To accomplish the same thing I need to use all 5 of my abilities and often need to farm my ultimate.
    Impulse and AoE was fine. It still is fine, relatively, but it was an unnecessary adjustment. Make more noise about getting your class, weapon line, passives, whatever, fixed or buffed and quit demanding everyone else suffer in the meantime. Nightblade and crappy play-your-own-way builds aren't the golden standards that PvE or PvP should be balanced around
    Yes. Lets all get our abilities buffed to the point where we can hold block, spam something and come out ahead. I'm sure that will make for interesting and challenging gameplay.
    I love the change. Now people need to actually put some thought in when they try and AoE a mob, and they won't get away with spamming the same thing over and over.

So you like the change because it irritated you that someone else played that way? That's not a reason to change it.

And it's not spamming. I use all my abilities, plus my weapon swap to bow with a different setup. But I had a great synergy going. Now I can't do anything. But yes, since you are happy now that I can't play that way, this justifies it.

No. The change was good because we have hundreds of skills at out disposal, and mashing one of them over and over again because it eclipsed everything else was stupid.

I'm sorry, that sounds like your personal opinion. Also, I for one have other skills and weapon swap I use. I use impulse for finishing and it's synergy with critical surge for health regen. I've had some awesome fights where I got surprised by mobs and taken to 40% health, and thanks to that synergy was able to recover. That's awesome in my opinion, where being jumped by mobs does not guarantee a death. You have a setup that lets you recover and win. Calling something stupid is not a reason to change it. That is your person choice not to like something.
    Why yes, it was my personal opinion, well spotted. What you chose to do with Pulsar does not matter. What mattered was people standing in a pack of 3, holding block, mashing Pulsar, and coming out ahead. To accomplish the same thing I need to use all 5 of my abilities and often need to farm my ultimate.

Why you come up always with the word "jealous".

There are players who play not just one character and see both sides of the medal.

Iam playing a DK with destro/resto staff and know that he can faceroll in pve.

But Iam playing a different class with BoW/dual wield stamina based aswell and it is like day and night between both classes when it comes to effectiveness.

edit:

removed videos - wasnt about a DK with destro.
    Edited by moXrox on 23 May 2014 00:48
    Music Channel:
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCQHvIypA0v70w4uu_ej8wyg/featured
    Tolkien Fantasy Music, Medieval, Pagan & Nordic Music Style
  • Drexz
    Drexz
    ✭✭
    You're using a one sided and biased argument to try and tell me that I'm doing that same thing. Most of your points are a dilemma. "Why should person A have something that person B doesn't?" Those are also not reasons to make person A loose something.
    • Conal area
    • Breathing
    • Placing trap
    • Exploding missile
    • Cloud
    • Spraying projectiles
    • Stun
    • Snare
    • Placing DoT

Mechanics and flavour doesn't really matter much. All of them are usable and are better in some situations and worse in others.

BUT every ability should have DPM and DPS parameters around same value for same particular gear level. IF one is not, it should be balanced (nerfed or buffed).

If devs came to conclusion that some ability have better parameters than others, then it is "a reason to make person A loose something".
    You do realize, you can just get person B what person A has. However, person B tends to try and fight the battle of restricting person A. When they should be fighting the battle of improving their own experience.
    Also, that particular ability is open to anyone. It's not class specific. So if you want to use it, you can.
    When one build greatly outperforms the others - be sure it would be used by majority of players. Do you want to play a game where everybody are the same? I don't.

You're still arguing that Person A should loose something that Person B does not have. Ignoring the fact that this particular something is available to both person A and B, you should be arguing to get person B an option to spec skills that will give them what person A has, instead of taking away from person A. Then, if you want to you can use those skills and be able to do the same. If you don't, then don't use them.
    He is saying A is better than B, and A needed to be adjusted or everyone would use it. Just look at shield bash and melee combat, you were almost an idiot for not using it.

But there is a fallacy inherent in that statement. Are you saying the same people that are practically flaming anyone using impulse would also use it? I don't get it. They hate it so much, either because they think it's to easy, or it's to much spam or whatever. Yet, they would ALL start to use it? Yeah...I don't see that. And yet we still have the point of, instead of punishing those that like it, why not give all other classes some buffs and make everyone happy. Or at least everyone except those that just love to find problems in everything, just for the sake of telling someone they are an idiot for enjoying or liking something. :)
  • hamon
    hamon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.

Enjoying success requires the ability to adapt. Only by being open to change will you have a true opportunity to get the most from your talent.

Take that back to your boss at work. That doesn't fly with functionality. Ever heard the phrase, if it ain't broken?

Why should gamers have to change a play style that works for them and they enjoy? Remember, we're paying to play, we're not getting paid.

i never heard much from sorcs in all the threads before the patch where folk were saying exactly that.. i did hear plenty from sorcs telling everyone it was all fine vet mode is easy etc.... funny how fast it all changes when their favourite way to play becomes less viable.

• Drexz
    Drexz
    ✭✭
    moXrox wrote: »

Why yes, it was my personal opinion, well spotted. What you did with the ability did not matter. What mattered was people standing in a pack of 3, holding block, mashing Pulsar, and coming out ahead. To accomplish the same thing I need to use all 5 of my abilities and often need to farm my ultimate.

Why yes, it was my personal opinion, well spotted. What you chose to do with Pulsar does not matter. What mattered was people standing in a pack of 3, holding block, mashing Pulsar, and coming out ahead. To accomplish the same thing I need to use all 5 of my abilities and often need to farm my ultimate.

Why you come up always with the word "jealous".

There are players who play not just one character and see both sides of the medal.

Iam playing a DK with destro/resto staff and know that he can faceroll in pve.

But Iam playing a different class with BoW/dual wield stamina based aswell and it is like day and night between both classes when it comes to effectiveness.

Check this out for example pre patch:

Both should not be possible anway and this is maybe an extreme example.

In both videos the players are using a tank build.

The Nightblade with 1h+shield needs to use even an exploit, using his "stealth". It takes him "100 years" to kill even the first trash mobs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNESCiD5Wt0&pxtry=1

Now check out the a DK with 1h/shield + destro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRYfQPAloeE

Actually, after the last "jealous" comment I thought to myself exactly what you are saying. But the fact remains...If you read what people are saying, 9 out of 10 make some comment about how they can't do this, or now impulse users are at the level other's are, or whatever. Those are statements that come out of jealousy. They have absolutely no grounds in explaining why one person should not be allowed to enjoy something they are paying for.
  • OkieDokie
    OkieDokie
    ✭✭✭
    ShadowEve wrote: »
    So they have increased magicka cost of Impulse and it still costs less and deals more damage than any Nightblade aoe or dw aoe?

No pity for you here, hope they don't revert this.

You're mistaken. It costs more, and whatever damage it does doesn't matter now, because you can't sustain it long enough.

It costs around 248 now?

Shadow and ambush cost 345, concealed blades and killer's blade around 230-245, some skills cost 400 (that's with a 5 light armor and passives).

Are you saying impulse should cost 1xx? You could had asked a NB before you say that.

Edited by OkieDokie on 23 May 2014 00:46
    People keep saying they heard of a friend of friend of friend of their neighbors that plays a NB and can catch up with dks and sorcs and this guy just never shows up. He would be a rock star if he existed.
  • Drexz
    Drexz
    ✭✭
    OkieDokie wrote: »
    ShadowEve wrote: »
    So they have increased magicka cost of Impulse and it still costs less and deals more damage than any Nightblade aoe or dw aoe?

No pity for you here, hope they don't revert this.

You're mistaken. It costs more, and whatever damage it does doesn't matter now, because you can't sustain it long enough.

It costs around 248 now?

Shadow and ambush cost 345, concealed blades and killer's blade around 230-245, some skills costs 400.

Are you saying impulse should cost 1xx? You could had asked a NB before you say that.

Did you see my earlier post where I did a break down of the way I use it? I don't know how others use it, but I use all my abilities and what I have left over for impulse allows me to cast it no more then 4 times. However, at that point I have no magicka for cc, defense, or anything to speak of. I'm dead in the water. So while at face value it looks like it's still less, in practice is it much more expensive.
  • beravinprb19_ESO
    beravinprb19_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    • Conal area
    • Breathing
    • Placing trap
    • Exploding missile
    • Cloud
    • Spraying projectiles
    • Stun
    • Snare
    • Placing DoT

But there is a fallacy inherent in that statement. Are you saying the same people that are practically flaming anyone using impulse would also use it? I don't get it. They hate it so much, either because they think it's to easy, or it's to much spam or whatever. Yet, they would ALL start to use it? Yeah...I don't see that. And yet we still have the point of, instead of punishing those that like it, why not give all other classes some buffs and make everyone happy. Or at least everyone except those that just love to find problems in everything, just for the sake of telling someone they are an idiot for enjoying or liking something. :)
    Its really a lot more straight forward than you are making it out to be. A was better than B, and A was adjusted so that B would be viable in a competitive scenario (Trials). As soon as the game becomes competitive in some way, no one skill can be superior to another.
    Edited by beravinprb19_ESO on 23 May 2014 00:49
  • hamon
    hamon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i kinda think this is an attempt by zos to get things put back, to where htey intended. i mean you normally expect mage types to be sort of glass cannons who stay well out of range to do high damage... not using bolt ESCAPE to get INTO melee range so they can spam immpulse till everything is dead.. and if it doesnt die fast enough just bolt escape right back out.... all with light armour on..

i mean if mages want to get into melee range to aoe stuff they should have to at least be forced into wearing heavy armour or die super fast. But if they can zip into groups of mobs wearing light armour and spam them to death in light armour i say something was broken. and it was immpulse spam with high crit light armour builds...

it just shouldnt be that easy .. or if its supposed to be make it that simple for everyone.
  • Drexz
    Drexz
    ✭✭
    hamon wrote: »
    i kinda think this is an attempt by zos to get things put back, to where htey intended. i mean you normally expect mage types to be sort of glass cannons who stay well out of range to do high damage... not using bolt ESCAPE to get INTO melee range so they can spam immpulse till everything is dead.. and if it doesnt die fast enough just bolt escape right back out.... all with light armour on..

i mean if mages want to get into melee range to aoe stuff they should have to at least be forced into wearing heavy armour or die super fast. But if they can zip into groups of mobs wearing light armour and spam them to death in light armour i say something was broken. and it was immpulse spam with high crit light armour builds...

it just shouldnt be that easy .. or if its supposed to be make it that simple for everyone.

You make some excellent points. Unfortunately all those skills you throw around leave you with no magicka. Even if you're wearing heavy armor you are going down. Since when has mage + AoE become a no no?

I don't want anyone to think that I'm trying to diminish their opinions. But, you kind of made some of my point. Mages are always the first to go down after 2 or 3 hits, they need to be able to quickly take out their opponents since they have no durability. This is what mages had. Now, mages are still not bad 1:1, but there is no way to fight more then 3 targets. Familiars don't keep agro to the point where you can manage properly, so you always end up loosing that distance to 1 or more mobs.

It's great that everyone is so passionate about their opinion of how the game should work and if I was the only one that felt this way, I would STFU. But I know I'm not. I just enjoyed the hell out of this game playing solo like this. I can't group all the time. My hours are very erratic. Every time my daughter yells to come play with her, that means the entire group has to wait. I love playing with groups, but I don't have that luxury every time I want to play. I have loved the fact that I can get on and solo through whatever content I want and enjoy the game and story. Please tell me why that is so wrong?
  • Ruddertail
    Ruddertail
    ✭✭✭
    Cost is now like 248 or something and my pool is around 2100 with food - 5% for inner light. So I'm sitting at around 1950 or so. I only had to drop pots for boss fights and bad pulls. Now I have to do it every fight and I still get ***.

If the quoted post is accurate I can still easily spam elemental ring enough to kill any V10 groups.
  • crislevin
    crislevin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ruddertail wrote: »
    Cost is now like 248 or something and my pool is around 2100 with food - 5% for inner light. So I'm sitting at around 1950 or so. I only had to drop pots for boss fights and bad pulls. Now I have to do it every fight and I still get ***.

If the quoted post is accurate I can still easily spam elemental ring enough to kill any V10 groups.

except they all buffed with twice the HP and hit you for 500-1000 point each.
  • Ruddertail
    Ruddertail
    ✭✭✭
    crislevin wrote: »

Consider that this patch also gives you a +10% effective spell critical and no mob has been confirmed to hit for more than 250-something in a single non-dodgeable attack.
  • neuroelectub17_ESO

Consider that this patch also gives you a +10% effective spell critical and no mob has been confirmed to hit for more than 250-something in a single non-dodgeable attack.
    the stone is still bugged after porting or relogging.

Edited by neuroelectub17_ESO on 23 May 2014 01:23
  • crislevin
    crislevin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    whut? are you telling me the death recap is lying? it says I got hit for times, each hits 400-1000 points.
  • Kingslayer
    Kingslayer
    ✭✭✭
    Yankee wrote: »
    @Yankee V7 Sorcerer. with V4-7 armor. It's an obvious HUGE change. I can't even take on a single mob now. I run out of magicka and they still have 20% or more health.

Thanks, are you running all light armor with passives?

If so, I can see a build change coming when I get in the game lol.

Yep all light, with all passives to reduce magicka cost, etc. Nah, it's horrible. It needs to go back to what it was.

what is the cost and what is your magicka pool?

Hang on the cost is now after the patch 248? Well before the patch its 208 soo its not all bad.
  • The_Drexill
    The_Drexill
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Yankee V7 Sorcerer. with V4-7 armor. It's an obvious HUGE change. I can't even take on a single mob now. I run out of magicka and they still have 20% or more health.

Stop Impulse spamming, it was never efficient before to just spam it. there are other abilities to use. I have a sorc i find it very hard to believe you fail on fighting 1 mob unless you are completely inept Are you inept? I would hope you have a better grasp to game mechanics at your level than that, so no i don't think you are.

Knee Jerk comments and over exaggerations to changes do not help

tell us how to handle 3-5 VR mob with other skills, just enlighten us.

My way is Shattering Prison -> Volcanic Rune -> Impulse -> Volcanic Rune -> Impulse, Repeat. Keep crit surge up.

/enlightened
    Edited by The_Drexill on 23 May 2014 01:27
    Brandizzle - NB
    Drexill The Unbreakable - Sorc

For teh covenant.
  • hamon
    hamon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hamon wrote: »

You make some excellent points. Unfortunately all those skills you throw around leave you with no magicka. Even if you're wearing heavy armor you are going down. Since when has mage + AoE become a no no?

I don't want anyone to think that I'm trying to diminish their opinions. But, you kind of made some of my point. Mages are always the first to go down after 2 or 3 hits, they need to be able to quickly take out their opponents since they have no durability. This is what mages had. Now, mages are still not bad 1:1, but there is no way to fight more then 3 targets. Familiars don't keep agro to the point where you can manage properly, so you always end up loosing that distance to 1 or more mobs.

It's great that everyone is so passionate about their opinion of how the game should work and if I was the only one that felt this way, I would STFU. But I know I'm not. I just enjoyed the hell out of this game playing solo like this. I can't group all the time. My hours are very erratic. Every time my daughter yells to come play with her, that means the entire group has to wait. I love playing with groups, but I don't have that luxury every time I want to play. I have loved the fact that I can get on and solo through whatever content I want and enjoy the game and story. Please tell me why that is so wrong?

its not wrong , but ive been arguing for weeks now that vet mode is too hard and forces people to play only certain ways to be viable.. and the response from DK's and sorcs (who up till now have had it vry easy) is L2P or adapt etc etc.. i did i got out a destro staff levelled it up till impulse and started using it as a templar.. but templars arnt so effective with it as sorcs.. but in comparison to me trying to kill 3 or 4 mobs using the likes of biting jabs it was still crazy good. i could spam biting jabs maybe 4 times before needing to regen (jabs wasnt even a 360 aoe) so i had to position myself.. then block/bash in between jabs to let magika re-gen to finish mobs off..

so ive seen both sides of the coin. i know how much easier it was with an impulse spam build even on a templar.. and i was saying unless you want everyone using impulse spam they need to tone down the mobs a bit to allow other play styles..

maybe if sorcs and kds had empathised a bit more and supported other play styles then they would have listened more but no it was all fine when they were overpowered and things were easy , now its not so easy for them its a diffrent story..

• Drexz
    Drexz
    ✭✭

Then how do you explain this? This was all within about 2 or 3 seconds.

6tcq4k.jpg

• Aimelin
    Aimelin
    ✭✭✭
    lol i don't have trouble clearing mobs in craglorn with pulsar at VR5 ....

idk what you do wrong but it still works
  • The_Drexill
    The_Drexill
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh and... Impulse still costs less than Crystal Fragments by ~65 Magicka. Just food for thought.
    Brandizzle - NB
    Drexill The Unbreakable - Sorc

For teh covenant.
  • Kingslayer
    Kingslayer
    ✭✭✭
    This thread is nonsense. Yes its a nerf but You can still spam impulse only by 2 less now roughly. Do the maths even at low veteran levels its ok.
  • Drexz
    Drexz
    ✭✭
    Aimelin wrote: »
    lol i don't have trouble clearing mobs in craglorn with pulsar at VR5 ....

idk what you do wrong but it still works

I'm doing exactly what I was before, but I'm not able to get more then 3 or 4 casts after casting other spells I use, and I end up dead every time. See death recap above. :) I've never had this much trouble. My current build is just not capable of surviving anymore. We're not even talking a challenge to win. I'm ending up having to try and finish off multiple mobs with interrupts and light attacks. Well, that doesn't work. So what are you doing that works?
  • Yankee
    Yankee
    ✭✭✭✭
    After pre buffing regeneration and and using Volcanic rune, I could spam impulse (elemental ring) 12-16 times.

I have the Warlock set which helps, but still.

The problem is the VR mobs are crazy badass now.