Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Zenimax going back on a promise about Racial Motiff's in 1.2

• Laura
    Laura
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nothing should be rare in an MMO - ever!

(sarcasm) and no. I do not have daedric, ancient elf, or barbaric. Interestingly enough I got primal yesterday and it felt awesome.
    Edited by Laura on 22 May 2014 14:48
  • BaddLarry
    BaddLarry
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still trying to figure out the concern over racial motifs that permeate these forums. I've been playing for a month now and I've found two of these motifs and I'm only level 25. I'm under the assumption that if I plan to play for the game for a year or so, I have a pretty good chance of acquiring them. What's with trying to get them all within the first two months of playing?
  • cjmarsh725b14_ESO
    cjmarsh725b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    BaddLarry wrote: »
    I'm still trying to figure out the concern over racial motifs that permeate these forums. I've been playing for a month now and I've found two of these motifs and I'm only level 25. I'm under the assumption that if I plan to play for the game for a year or so, I have a pretty good chance of acquiring them. What's with trying to get them all within the first two months of playing?
    What most of these threads are talking about is the rare motifs which number 10-14. These are only found in veteran zones and are much rarer than the racial motifs found in earlier zones.
  • danreckerpreub18_ESO
    In the last week, I have found... perhaps 5 1-9 motifs, and only on storage characters. When I log over to stash my acquisitions, I check 5-6 boxes in the immediate area, i've been finding motifs approximately once per day.

On my V1 (Almost V2) main, I have found 0 of the veteran level motifs, absolutely no blue+ recipies, and no motifs, despite religiously checking each and every container in the area, sometimes passing through an area multiple times just to be sure I checked everything.

I'll find them eventually, but there really should be at least a slight chance to find them on bosses.

I am really quite tired of having my gameplay experience diminished by measures intended to counter farmers. I have spent literally 6 hours just wandering around dungeons waiting for bosses to drop their blue. I didn't want to stand around farming before, and I certainly don't now... the only difference is that now I am forced to do so to get my dungeon cookie.

When early access started, I watched people frantically relogging to check every container: Veteran level motifs were dropping like candy. I didn't care at the time, even though I know I wanted them, I figured my time would come. Now, it feels like i'm being penalized for not hopping on the bug-exploit bandwagon.

Things like this just leave a bad taste in my mouth.
  • Pangnirtung
    Pangnirtung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the reason for the nerfing is because of the botters/exploiters why aren't they found in treasure chests or on random creatures?
  • Phantax
    Phantax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Racial Motiff's are a costume. They impart ZERO affect to the armor other than how it looks.

2. Racial Motiff's have ZERO affect on the game itself. (See #1 above)

3. Sellers will ask for as much as they want, on any item, at any time. ZeniMax cannot control this.

4. Buyers will pay what they think something is worth to themselves. Regardless of how many are available in the game at any given time.

4. Buyers dictate the cost of items. If no one was willing to pay 100K for a damn costume, then the price would fall.

On a side note, I think ZeniMax screwed the proverbial pooch on this one. They should have increased the drop rate by 10% on all the Racials, set the vendor cost on the books at 10g, but made them BoP.

BAM! cost problem solved and complainers have been silenced at the same time.

Agree with all your points EXCEPT number3.
    Zeni have more chance to control this than anybody. If they increase the drop rate then ultimately they decrease demand, this in turn would lower the price

;)
    High Elf Sorcerer VR12 - Destro / Resto Staff
    I'm a werewolf. If you vamps don't like it.... Bite me !
    We're not retreating... we're advancing in a different direction !
  • Insanyti
    Insanyti
    ✭✭✭
    BaddLarry wrote: »

It's because right now the game is still new enough that having all the racial motifs, especially the veteran area ones, is an unspoken symbol of 'STATUS'. It makes people's head turn or approach you about crafting items for them.

That and people really love being able to have SOME say in how their characters, which they spend SO MUCH time and effort and love and hate on, get to dress up.
  • vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't see why i cant have everything right now. Obviously they want me to cheat to get it.

Some reason i think some of these people are the ones who go looking for the console cheats before they even play a game.
  • ErilAq
    ErilAq
    ✭✭✭
    I think we should all calm down. I'm going to assume they just put the "stealth" nerf into the patch notes without further reducing drop rates. Also, it's not impossible to find one, I found a primal and ancient elf yesterday. Just check everything. I will say the 1-10 motifs drop rate has been significantly reduced about 2-3 weeks ago
    Internet armchair warriors attack! Yayayayayayaaaaaah!!!!
  • Lukati_K
    Lukati_K
    ✭✭✭
    Blade_07 wrote: »
    Nitratas wrote: »
    Daedric motif is going for more than half a million gold at the moment. Theres no way to save that much money without abusing the market.

Yup, zenimax is encouraging you to buy gold for your dollars and encourage all this botting and RMT :)

This!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not this at all. They are clearly encouraging you to look and try harder to earn, arguably, some of the better items to currently have in-game. They are clearly encouraging you to ignore the bots and RMT's, as they are not a designed function of the game.

You may disagree with their decisions on how to handle these issues, but in this case, people only encourage themselves, whichever the path.
  • SK1TZ0FR3N1K
    SK1TZ0FR3N1K
    ✭✭✭
    Noone's been finding them. I know that because I'm in five different guilds, and 1300 people can't all be having the same amount of *** luck.

Yeah, so the 2 I got in Woodhearth last night were a figment of my imagination.
    “There are three kinds of men. The ones that learn by readin’. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” -Will Rogers
  • AlexCala7b14_ESO
    AlexCala7b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    In the last week, I have found... perhaps 5 1-9 motifs, and only on storage characters. When I log over to stash my acquisitions, I check 5-6 boxes in the immediate area, i've been finding motifs approximately once per day.

On my V1 (Almost V2) main, I have found 0 of the veteran level motifs, absolutely no blue+ recipies, and no motifs, despite religiously checking each and every container in the area, sometimes passing through an area multiple times just to be sure I checked everything.

I'll find them eventually, but there really should be at least a slight chance to find them on bosses.

I am really quite tired of having my gameplay experience diminished by measures intended to counter farmers. I have spent literally 6 hours just wandering around dungeons waiting for bosses to drop their blue. I didn't want to stand around farming before, and I certainly don't now... the only difference is that now I am forced to do so to get my dungeon cookie.

When early access started, I watched people frantically relogging to check every container: Veteran level motifs were dropping like candy. I didn't care at the time, even though I know I wanted them, I figured my time would come. Now, it feels like i'm being penalized for not hopping on the bug-exploit bandwagon.

Things like this just leave a bad taste in my mouth.

That was my thought too, I figured "Hey. I don't need to power level or exploit the system. I'll get there in time. It won't take too much longer. I can be patient." Yet then because of some people exploiting, they made it so people who decided to be on the straight and narrow and actually enjoy their game, and have fun with it, should be the ones to get dicked over in the end. For not reason whatsoever.

Also, @BaddLarry, nothing in an MMO should take you a year to find or get all of. That's just ridiculous and kills the enthusiasm people have for a game. Noone does that.
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I wish someone from ZOS would explain why these book drops need to be so infrequent. What sort of advantage or reason is behind making them impossible to find instead of making them available from a quest or com vendors?
    Edited by LonePirate on 22 May 2014 15:55
  • Pangnirtung
    Pangnirtung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Noone's been finding them. I know that because I'm in five different guilds, and 1300 people can't all be having the same amount of *** luck.

Yeah, so the 2 I got in Woodhearth last night were a figment of my imagination.

Even a blind squirrel finds the occasional nut.
  • AlexCala7b14_ESO
    AlexCala7b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    ErilAq wrote: »
    I think we should all calm down. I'm going to assume they just put the "stealth" nerf into the patch notes without further reducing drop rates. Also, it's not impossible to find one, I found a primal and ancient elf yesterday. Just check everything. I will say the 1-10 motifs drop rate has been significantly reduced about 2-3 weeks ago

Count your blessings sir, because I and hundreds, if not thousands of others have looked in every barrel, every desk, in every area, and have found squat over the course of a month. By that time, any one of us should have found /something/. But instead we've found /nothing/. That was not the case before the first nerf, and now the nerf has been made worse. That's all a sign of a nerf gone wrong, and one Zenimax seems to be unwilling to fix, based on their silence and their desire to not even want to acknowledge they were going to look into the issue.
  • jbfroik
    jbfroik
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps it got nerfed worse because carebearing and complaining only makes the game worse as things that are working are complained about and fixed when real problems are overlooked just due to the mass of complaints.
  • Lywen
    Lywen
    1. Racial Motiff's are a costume. They impart ZERO affect to the armor other than how it looks.

I disagree... The more motifs you have, the more Style materials you can use, and you'll find various ones in game... So therefore the faster you can level up crafting. Granted, you can likely trade with others to get the motifs you need, but I wouldn't say it has ZERO affect.
  • AlexCala7b14_ESO
    AlexCala7b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Lywen wrote: »

I disagree... The more motifs you have, the more Style materials you can use, and you'll find various ones in game... So therefore the faster you can level up crafting. Granted, you can likely trade with others to get the motifs you need, but I wouldn't say it has ZERO affect.

Noone's trading the high end motiffs, everyone wants to make a buck. I remember back when I was first leveling the higher I got in zone,s the lower the price got as people were finding them, and the price wasn't there. Now that noone is finding them, noone is letting them go for less than six digits that people who didn't exploit weren't able to achieve, because, well.. They didn't break the rules, and didn't exploit. Of course, this might not be such a big issue and prices would be lower if Zenimax had actually kept all the banned duping accounts... Oh.. I don't know.. Banned?
  • vyal
    vyal
    ✭✭✭
    The more you look (the more you check furniture/vases) the less likely you are to find them.

I did some testing since 1.0.6, and you get a recipe (within 15 checks) if you wait 7 minutes or more after you login. If you check furniture immediately after logging in, you never get a recipe, and in fact, rarely even get improvement provisioning components. (just lockpicks)

Motif's appear to be an even longer timer, possibly 30+ minutes after login, if you don't check -any- furniture between login and the 30 minute mark, you may get a motif. Not 100% sure on this one, didn't have enough time to test it enough. It seems to be the knee jerk reaction they put in to players trying desperately to get these motifs before they were nerfed.

This was specifically put it place to halt players who logout, login, and immediately check a bunch of furniture, which was happening prior to 1.0.6. So now, if you do that, you'll ~never (or far less frequently, at least) find a motif or recipe. Well, guess what? Normal players check furniture all the time, as part of their normal gameplay, and are being caught in the exploit/cheat/hack dragnet, once again. Zenimax, as usual, picked the worst possible solution to a problem, and refuse to admit they're wrong and fix it.

Today's patch notes are wrong, the drop rate adjustment went in 1.0.6, and I challenge any Zenimax employee to contradict me. But they won't, because I'm 100% certain the motif drop rate nerf (and indeed, all the rest of these recipe/ingredient nerfs) went in 1.0.6. It is ... difficult to separate maliciousness from incompetence on the part of Zenimax sometimes, so I don't know why they would inflame an already burning issue with claiming to reduce the drop rate MORE, when in fact, the drop rate nerf has been in the game for a long time.

Further, any player who has done similar login-wait-loot testing, by all means, please post your results for comparison. I'd love to be proven wrong or right.

As has been brought up many times, changing these items to bind-to-account-on-pickup and adjusting the drop rate upwards would solve all the problems related to motifs. Other solutions such as putting in quests to obtain them would just be a big bonus.
  • cjmarsh725b14_ESO
    cjmarsh725b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

Lywen wrote: »

Noone's trading the high end motiffs, everyone wants to make a buck. I remember back when I was first leveling the higher I got in zone,s the lower the price got as people were finding them, and the price wasn't there. Now that noone is finding them, noone is letting them go for less than six digits that people who didn't exploit weren't able to achieve, because, well.. They didn't break the rules, and didn't exploit. Of course, this might not be such a big issue and prices would be lower if Zenimax had actually kept all the banned duping accounts... Oh.. I don't know.. Banned?

Wow you really have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
    Edited by cjmarsh725b14_ESO on 22 May 2014 15:08
  • Leesha
    Leesha
    ✭✭✭
    Rarer than they were two weeks ago? More rare than the fact they can't even be found now? So we're just going to make them impossible to find now? Are you that naive, that fanboyish to believe, or do you actually think such a policy is right?

It was already said previously but I'll point it out to you again. It is very possible the patch notes are reflecting the initial reduction and not an additional reduction. Wait and see how it plays out before you claim the sky is falling.

• Lukati_K
    Lukati_K
    ✭✭✭
    Also, @BaddLarry, nothing in an MMO should take you a year to find or get all of. That's just ridiculous and kills the enthusiasm people have for a game. Noone does that.
    Count your blessings sir, because I and hundreds, if not thousands of others have looked in every barrel, every desk, in every area, and have found squat over the course of a month. By that time, any one of us should have found /something/. But instead we've found /nothing/. That was not the case before the first nerf, and now the nerf has been made worse. That's all a sign of a nerf gone wrong, and one Zenimax seems to be unwilling to fix, based on their silence and their desire to not even want to acknowledge they were going to look into the issue.

I feel like you speak for yourself, because plenty of people enjoy games that have /ridiculous/ time-sinks involved, and plenty of people are currently reporting in this very thread that they are /finding/ motifs. /Your/ enthusiasm may wane, and /your/ luck may just suck right now, I do not know for sure, but please stop trying to speak for others as if your finger is on the pulse of all ESO players.

PS: I like your /.

• Ravinsild
    Ravinsild
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does /it/ make /me/ look /cool/ to /TYPE LIKE/ this?
  • rawne1980b16_ESO
    rawne1980b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BAM! cost problem solved and complainers have been silenced at the same time.

Some of us aren't complaining at the drop rate.

We're complaining that Zenimax is supposed to working AGAINST the botters and gold sellers not helping them.

All the motif drop nerf did was make it far easier for botters and gold farmers to make more gold by selling the mass quantities they already farmed.

• Alpha_Protocol
    Alpha_Protocol
    ✭✭✭
    since 1.2 hasn't been released yet, I guess we'll have to wait and see. It appears though in patch 1.1.2 they decreased the drop rate. However, they never mentioned anything about the disappearance of motifs.
  • Lalaeith
    Lalaeith
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe (and don't ask me how) the issue with you and hundreds others finding no motifs isn't due to low droprates. Because however low the droprate, it should be possible to find one eventually.

I and also other players have had no problem finding more than enough motifs during the last weeks without even looking too closely. So from my point of view a decreased drop rate is no real problem and doesn't keep zenimax from investigating or even fixing the issue of people, like you, finding none at all for weeks.

I found 4 motifs in the last 2 weeks. Two of them even minutes apart in the same building. So this really doesn't seem to affect everyone.
    Edited by Lalaeith on 22 May 2014 15:13
  • RubyTigress
    RubyTigress
    ✭✭✭
    I see some folks are suffering from patch downtime fever.

Before assuming nothing is fixed and everything else is broken, how about we get in and do a little post patch playing?
  • Dunkmeister
    Dunkmeister
    ✭✭✭
    vyal wrote: »
    The more you look (the more you check furniture/vases) the less likely you are to find them.

I did some testing since 1.0.6, and you get a recipe (within 15 checks) if you wait 7 minutes or more after you login. If you check furniture immediately after logging in, you never get a recipe, and in fact, rarely even get improvement provisioning components. (just lockpicks)

Motif's appear to be an even longer timer, possibly 30+ minutes after login, if you don't check -any- furniture between login and the 30 minute mark, you may get a motif. Not 100% sure on this one, didn't have enough time to test it enough. It seems to be the knee jerk reaction they put in to players trying desperately to get these motifs before they were nerfed.

I logged in the other day, went straight to a cabinet and found the daedric motif. Found another about a week later. Don't think it has anything to do with a timer on logins. It's just a drop rate that's been "slightly reduced", which means o.ooooo1.

Dunkmeister - DK Firemage AD NA Server
    PVE Achievement Collector
  • seaxrisingnub18_ESO

Actually, I find them more NOW than I did 2 weeks ago. I have 1 toon who found Nord, Wood Elf, Orc, Khajit and Redguard all in 1 day.
  • vyal
    vyal
    ✭✭✭
    Lalaeith wrote: »
    Maybe (and don't ask me how) the issue with you and hundreds others finding no motifs isn't due to low droprates. Because however low the droprate, it should be possible to find one eventually.

I and also other players have had no problem finding more than enough motifs during the last weeks without even looking too closely. So from my point of view a decreased drop rate is no real problem and doesn't keep zenimax from investigating or even fixing the issue of people, like you, finding none at all for weeks.

I found 4 motifs in the last 2 weeks. Two of them even minutes apart in the same building. So this really doesn't seem to affect everyone.
    You need to state:
    What level you were.
    What motifs you obtained.
    How long since you logged in and checked furniture did you obtain the motif?

Then you'll know if it's "normal" or an exception. Motifs 1-9 are an entirely different bag of cats than motifs 10-14 (imperial -> daedric) The first are often trivial to get, while the latter often "impossible".

Finally, four in 2 weeks would mean that at that rate, it would take seven weeks to obtain all the motifs. In that time, it would be trivial to level up several characters from 1-VR1, given the leveling rate while questing is about 1 level per hour. Is that working as intended? I hope not. Hence why the original drop rate was fine, the problem was just they weren't bind-to-account-on-pickup.