Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Which MMO is the best?

• fyendiarb16_ESO
    fyendiarb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    ESO
    Phantax wrote: »
    Can't even see that this is a legitimate question?
    Anyway, I'm a self confessed ES fanboy but that does not change the facts.

WoW has been around for longer than any other MMO. It has the largest number of subs/players achieved by any MMO. It has taken more money than any MMO in existence. It is played in more countries around the world than any other MMO. (need we go on?)

People are too quick to dismiss WoW, but when ESO can claim even half of what WoW has done then they will have achieved the mighty !

;)

Those facts do not say much about being the best or not. I loved WoW for years, but for me personally it is far inferior to ESO. If numbers and money made was any indication then McDonald's would beat the best restaurants in the world, we all know this is not the case.

What you are answering is the question "which mmo had the most impact and did the best economicly?", in which case you would be right. However the question is which mmo is the best according to you and then your reasons don't say anything about the quality and don't answer the question. Of course WoW can be the best mmo in history for you. It's just the reasons you gave have little to do with it.
  • Swampster
    Swampster
    ✭✭✭
    My top pick will be explained in the comment section.
    LOTRO back in the day before it turned into a money gouging exercise..
    It's looking rather dated now though.. along with the aforementioned money gouge and associated 'systems' (Big Battles?) spoiled the 'ambiance' for me..

It is still one of the best story driven MMO's out there though IMO, but then it does have a rather strong lore on which to rest despite Turbine's best efforts to ignore it!
    Edited by Swampster on 22 May 2014 13:13
    Swampriel - Nightblade (Archer Build) - Ebonheart Pact - Veteran
    Swampess - DragonKnight - Eboheart Pact - Lowbie Faceroller
  • Phantax
    Phantax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW
    Caduryn wrote: »

WoW has been around for longer than any other MMO. It has the largest number of subs/players achieved by any MMO. It has taken more money than any MMO in existence. It is played in more countries around the world than any other MMO. (need we go on?)

People are too quick to dismiss WoW, but when ESO can claim even half of what WoW has done then they will have achieved the mighty !

;)

So.....just because WoW got the biggest Numbers means Its the best MMO for you....?

What a strange Comment....

Yep very strange that I consider an MMO that has achieved more than any other MMO in existence to be the best ! Preferring an MMO and acknowledging an MMOs achievements are not the same thing ! I'd choose ESO any day, but it has a lot to live up too !
    High Elf Sorcerer VR12 - Destro / Resto Staff
    I'm a werewolf. If you vamps don't like it.... Bite me !
    We're not retreating... we're advancing in a different direction !
  • JD2013
    JD2013
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO
    Caduryn wrote: »

;)

So.....just because WoW got the biggest Numbers means Its the best MMO for you....?

What a strange Comment....

Yep very strange that I consider an MMO that has achieved more than any other MMO in existence to be the best ! Preferring an MMO and acknowledging an MMOs achievements are not the same thing ! I'd choose ESO any day, but it has a lot to live up too !

It has also had 10 years. ESO has had 2 months. Give it time.

Sweetrolls for all!

Christophe Mottierre - Breton Templar with his own whole darn estate! Templar Houses are so 2015. EU DC

PC Beta Tester January 2014

Elder of The Black
    Order of Sithis
    The Runners

@TamrielTraverse - For Tamriel related Twitter shenanigans!
    https://tamrieltraveller.wordpress.com/

Crafting bag OP! ZOS nerf pls!
  • JJDrakken
    JJDrakken
    ✭✭✭
    In my opinion, City of Heroes was the best for me.

Reason being, you could do just bout anything, lvl 1s could team with lvl 50s, still feel like they are contributing. Content was great, etc...
    Leader of Oblivion Crisis. Bunch of Daedric Worshiping MF's. We'll Bang Ok.
  • Gareen
    Gareen
    ✭✭
    Shadow of Yserbius. Best only because it was my first {grin}
  • Darzil
    Darzil
    ✭✭✭
    DAoC, other than it's community (back when I used to play it years ago)
  • Zubba
    Zubba
    ✭✭✭
    Eve Online
    Add PvP loot drops for some risk/reward in this game.

Captain Morgan Society
    Zub

How'd ya feel like scraping the barncles off me rudder.. Matey..
  • Krivasran
    Krivasran
    ✭✭✭
    Star Wars Galaxies
    SWG. I played that game to death. I loved, specially my midget purple doshan with a rocket launcher. Was great, except for Jedi.
    You've mistaken me for someone who cares.
  • Grim13
    Grim13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ultima Online.
  • RedTalon
    RedTalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO but decided to pick this, has time will tell the truth.

But everquest 1 and 2 will always be special.
    Edited by RedTalon on 22 May 2014 13:24
  • Dust
    Dust
    Soul Shriven
    ESO
    My first MMO was Galaxies, so it will always have a special place in my heart. But it would not hold up today. For what is on the list I pick ESO. I have not had this much fun in a really long time in a game.
    I actually really enjoyed DC Online until it became a ghost town. I wish someone would pick up the torch and continue the Super Hero genre.
    BTW, surprised a few games are not listed. For example I loved both Age of Conan and Secret World.
    ᚿᛦᚱᚦ
  • smokes
    smokes
    ✭✭✭
    ESO
    i have to go with ESO

i've played pretty much all the others on the list, not all, but most of. if they were that great, i'd still be playing them.

i played WoW for a very long time, but it's not the master of the genre it once was, i wouldn't be playing ESO if that was still the case.

i've been anticipating ESO for a few years, it might have it's teething issues, but the game should mature nicely, it has great potential
  • Goldenjaguar_ESO
    WOW
    SWG? How can a dead game be considered the best of anything?

It had it's moments but it is far from the best. Given their impact on the genre EQ, UO, and WoW are at the top of the list for which one is the best.

WoW though has had the biggest impact, for 9 years it has remained at the top of the hill that speaks for itself. It is the game that many other games have attempted to replace and have failed. Financially it is the most successful MMO ever.

As for ESO, it is far too early to begin giving it labels and titles. It's success will depend on what the devs do. Do they keep the communication with the players open or do they go completely silent to where it seems like they are ignoring us. Do they develop content for all players, or do they develop players for a single group.
  • ShotimeUrgent
    ShotimeUrgent
    Soul Shriven

Hands down the best and most memorable game. Wouldn't have MMOrpg's with out Everquest.
    Cogo wrote: »
    Everquest. Best MMO ever made. Longest lived. Had WAY to hardest challenges. Huge difference in classes and a lot of races with each having a useful racial ability. Factions in cities depending on your actions or your race.

And the most beautiful thing ever in any MMO. Raiding. NOTHING beats Everquest raids. 50-70 people to control, work together, unite and then ALL loot was public, hence the DKP system was born and worked quite well.

Today EQ is to old and not what it once was. But nothing even comes close to the detail, difficulty, different roles and tactics needed in EQ raids. For you who are not familiar with Everquest class system, there was a HELL of a lot more then Tank/healer/dps. And each class had "epic" quests they could quest for....and these where EPIC. Not every single damn highlvl had them.

I wish I had a timemachine and went back to 1999. Memory wipe and started EQ all over again.

• michaelpatrickjonesnub18_ESO
    Lord of the Rings.
  • wean
    wean
    For nostalgic reasons, EQ will always be the best to me. It was my entry into the MMO world and no other can take that first moment of awe away. But currently, I am enjoying ESO quite a bit and will play as long as the game keeps my interest.
  • Norrønt_Språk
    SWTOR (story, quest-/group-mechanics)
    Vanilla-WoW
    Vanilla-LOTR

btw: you asks for the "best" MMO in an ESO forum? go to the swtor forum, or wow forum, or (mmo "xy") forum and ask again - and the result will be... differently...maybe... hm...
  • Monkeyshoeslive
    Monkeyshoeslive
    ✭✭✭
    While I agree that wow is/was a great game, I think k that is due in part to when is what first released. There were only a handful of the genre around, and the war craft series were hugely popular. They just managed to corner the market on release.
    Then in the years to follow a lot of lack lustre games were released, while wow had had that time to polish it's format.

Kind of like the IBM Windows / Apple battles of the 80s. IBM/Windows (wow) clearly won the first 20 years, but look at Apple (insert mmo) now.
  • Catflinger
    Catflinger
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not going to vote. The two long-running sub-based MMOs, WoW and EVE Online (and the latter was inexcusably left out of the poll) are both excellent; while another of the greats (Lord of the Rings Online, pre-hypermonetization) was also left out.
  • Sabbatus
    Sabbatus
    ✭✭✭
    ESO
    EverQuest perfected the small-group PvE experience, and laid the foundation for all the pretenders that came after.

Dark Age of Camelot perfected PvP.

Neither makes your poll, which invalidates the whole thing for me.

As far as what you listed, Star Wars Galaxies perfected the sandbox MMO, and WoW had an okay end game until they became a loot pinata with cookie-cutter class design (they should have stopped with WOTLK, it went downhill from there.)

Rift? Just a clone of other MMOs. DCUO is okay for a theme-park action MMO, but just like any free MMO, the player experience sucks unless you're in a league with competent people.

I'd rank the MMOs I've played like this:

EverQuest (between Planes of Power and Depths of Darkhollow expansions was the epitome)
    Ultima Online
    Elder Scrolls Online
    Dark Age of Camelot
    City of Heroes/City of Villains
    World of Warcraft (pre-cata)
    Star Wars Galaxies
    EVE Online
    Star Wars: The Old Republic
    DC Universe Online
    Aion
    Lord of the Rings Online
    Warhammer Online
    Age of Conan
    Vanguard: Saga of Heroes
    Champions Online - best character creation experience ever, seriously.
    Tera
    Guild Wars 2
    Wildstar

• jbfroik
    jbfroik
    ✭✭✭
    ESO
    ESO for sure, with Wizardry Online as my second choice but the fetchers at SOE fouled that one up.
  • Jarvius
    Jarvius
    ✭✭
    Everquest 1 - not only because of the game itself at that time, but also because it had the best community in all MMOs I played.
  • Sabbatus
    Sabbatus
    ✭✭✭
    ESO
    Cogo wrote: »
    Please feel free to compare and contrast below. Add your favorite if it's not an option. I added an other option for those who hate my choices.

Everquest. Best MMO ever made. Longest lived. Had WAY to hardest challenges. Huge difference in classes and a lot of races with each having a useful racial ability. Factions in cities depending on your actions or your race.

And the most beautiful thing ever in any MMO. Raiding. NOTHING beats Everquest raids. 50-70 people to control, work together, unite and then ALL loot was public, hence the DKP system was born and worked quite well.

Today EQ is to old and not what it once was. But nothing even comes close to the detail, difficulty, different roles and tactics needed in EQ raids. For you who are not familiar with Everquest class system, there was a HELL of a lot more then Tank/healer/dps. And each class had "epic" quests they could quest for....and these where EPIC. Not every single damn highlvl had them.

I wish I had a timemachine and went back to 1999. Memory wipe and started EQ all over again.

Agreed. And we did it all without videos showing us what to do, or add-ons telling us what buttons to press when. Most of the WoW raiders couldn't handle Planes of Power or Gates of Discord raids and what it took to beat them.
  • reggielee
    reggielee
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wish there had been a none option. I truly believe the golden era of mmos is over, whats left are short term money grabs or specific cliche fighter games with social options
    Mama always said the fastest way to a man's heart is through his chest.
  • Vendersleigh
    Vendersleigh
    ✭✭✭
    Star Wars Galaxies
    SWG as it has been the most favourable environment (of 10 that I have tried and 5 I have watched being played) for RP.

Control your own town, if you have gained PC votes to be made mayor.
    Build and place your houses and gardens (the latter if mayor).
    Create your own transport hubs if mayor.
    Own and decorate your own house, cantina, theatre, guildhall, bunker.
    Place temporary decor almost anywhere for scenarios you have created.
    Have Pex at your beck and call (it seemed that way as he was so nice) for roleplaying major NPCs at events you create.
    Decoration by Pex and his team for themed events at different times round the year.
    Run your own shop, gaining a reputation with buyers for certain quality items or types of items sold: furniture, high-end armour or weapons, spaceships, etc.
    A place of your own to display your trophies and roleplay in private.
    Fully decoratable buildings with player-created furniture and items that can be positioned in any place, using xyz co-ordinates: so many beautiful or weird displays made this way eg, piano, imax cinema, haunted house, prison, theatre costume rail, tree with presents under it.
    Masses of clothing options, and what you wear is not limited by your level.
    Ability to change hairstyles on the fly.

Create own communications channels that can be open (eg. for all roleplayers so notice of events can be distributed quickly) or private (eg. for PvPers of one faction), and can be IC (public news channels or military comms).
    Speech bubbles: I know they are visually not as appealing but it is far easier to follow the conversation between the 3 of you in the corner if you can distinguish the speech of your companions from that of the other 50 in the cantina.

Plus the fun of space combat in true 3D (so disappointed with SWToR space).
    Deep meaningful item creation system backed up by fun times locating the rare resources needed to make the best items.
    And rancors :) .

Sandbox world at first, no quests. Combined with no levels that meant more people were willing to stop and chat not rush on to the next quest to reach the next level.
    Edited by Vendersleigh on 22 May 2014 13:55
  • RianaTheBosmer
    RianaTheBosmer
    ✭✭✭
    You're missing quite a few games. Star Wars The Old Republic which I sub to concurrently with ESO, The Secret World which doesn't require a sub and many others. I am tied between ESO and SWTOR which is why I sub to and play both.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO
    Swampster wrote: »
    LOTRO back in the day before it turned into a money gouging exercise..
    It's looking rather dated now though.. along with the aforementioned money gouge and associated 'systems' (Big Battles?) spoiled the 'ambiance' for me..

It is still one of the best story driven MMO's out there though IMO, but then it does have a rather strong lore on which to rest despite Turbine's best efforts to ignore it!

LOTRO was indeed an excellent game back in the old days before it went Free to Play. In many ways Elder Scrolls reminds me of it.

It's terrible now though in my opinion. The gameplay has just been destroyed. I can literally kill almost everything by just auto-attacking. Even WoW has more challenging gameplay than LOTRO does now.
    Edited by Jeremy on 22 May 2014 14:02
  • B1oodcrow
    B1oodcrow
    I have two... Age of Conan and City of Heroes.
  • Pellaeon
    Pellaeon
    ✭✭
    ESO
    I am an Elderscrolls Fanboy, need I say more. However Everquest was my first MMO and will always stay in my Hall of Fame. I also enjoyed Star Wars Galaxies before everyone was running around with lightsabers. I was a proud member of the Galactic Empire and loved raiding Rebel Player towns. The open world exploration and house management was just awesome!

WoW was a good game but after WotLK I really lost interest in it.
    @gorall Stamina Templar-AD