✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edited by Gilvoth on April 4, 2015 3:59PM
    Options
  • TheBull
    TheBull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soulac wrote: »
    Steel tornado works like an execute, so they will achieve huge dmg only if you get low on health.
    A NB using Steel tornado don't got any heals or good defense, they sacrifice it for dmg as example, seems fine for me.
    You can block Steel tornado btw..
    And you always could. Remember when Impulse wasn't blockable? lulz..
    Options
  • TheBull
    TheBull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uhm brawler deals good dmg AND gains you a huge Shield everytime you use it. So basically it's defense and offense in one.
    To get steel tornado really strong you need to be a total glass canon.. One little stun and you're pretty much dead. Also brawler costs much less than steel tornado.

Bow has also a huge range AoE with arrow spray, which also immobilize enemys..

Neither of those are 12m range blind PBAoEs though. It makes a huge difference to PvP as people create deathballs blindly spamming stuff that covers pretty much the entire nearby area when it comes to fights in keeps, breaches etc.

If I see 20 people spam Brawler, like I did see 20 people spam Steel Tornado, I might start getting worried. But I haven't yet.
    A raid full of stamina users? Cool story... :D
    Options
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    TheBull wrote: »
    Uhm brawler deals good dmg AND gains you a huge Shield everytime you use it. So basically it's defense and offense in one.
    To get steel tornado really strong you need to be a total glass canon.. One little stun and you're pretty much dead. Also brawler costs much less than steel tornado.

Neither of those are 12m range blind PBAoEs though. It makes a huge difference to PvP as people create deathballs blindly spamming stuff that covers pretty much the entire nearby area when it comes to fights in keeps, breaches etc.

If I see 20 people spam Brawler, like I did see 20 people spam Steel Tornado, I might start getting worried. But I haven't yet.
    A raid full of stamina users? Cool story... :D

I know, right! I'll try to get it on video next time :)
    EU | PC | AD
    Options
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ~6k AoE damage over 12m and even more when your health drops? Can we give this the Impulse treatment pls? ;)

SteelTornado_zpsea3ftmc6.jpg

Here's a question though

Is it possible that the damage is scaling more quickly than the intended range, similar to the issue with Radiant Destruction?
    With 2900 Weapon Power and 25000 Stamina my tooltip is reading less than 3k damage base scaling up to 100% bonus damage on low health targets.

If you were not low health for the first two attacks, it seems like the final attack would be significantly higher in damage. Otherwise, the initial hits seem really high compared to what is intended.
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.
    Options
  • Honfold
    Honfold
    ✭✭✭
    If someone spams Steel Tornado they will likely be low on stamina. Which means a stun could equal death for them. It is not like impulse at all in my opinion. Also, can't you block Steel Tornado?
    Options
  • Hypertionb14_ESO
    Hypertionb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    its always been like this. Steel Tornado has been the best AOE since long before the nerf to the radius of impulse.

it was the ONLY redeeming thing in Stamina builds for the longest time.

its actually quite a bit weaker than it was even, it used to be easily able to cap past 1k damage with little to no effort on a magicka build.

now it rarely hits 10k on stamina builds unless its built for it.

its damage range is massive, but its like Radiant Destruction/Reverse slash. Outside its execute range its the weakest AOE, tho admittedly only by about 20-30% damage.

if they adjust it, the range is the last thing they should touch, maybe adjust the range of the execute at most.
    I play every class in every situation. I love them all.
    Options
  • themdogesbite
    themdogesbite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah i love seeing theese NA players that are just SO far behind in meta, ill enjoy seeing your threads about this skill in a month or so! Until then ladies ;)
    :]
    Options
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Samadhi wrote: »
    ~6k AoE damage over 12m and even more when your health drops? Can we give this the Impulse treatment pls? ;)

Here's a question though

Is it possible that the damage is scaling more quickly than the intended range, similar to the issue with Radiant Destruction?
    With 2900 Weapon Power and 25000 Stamina my tooltip is reading less than 3k damage base scaling up to 100% bonus damage on low health targets.

If you were not low health for the first two attacks, it seems like the final attack would be significantly higher in damage. Otherwise, the initial hits seem really high compared to what is intended.

That's an astute observation. I'll go test on PTS when I get some time.

If you get 3k tooltip with those stats, then 6k damage is too high even for a crit (that would normally be in the 4.5k -5k range).

So if I'm getting hit for 6k with more than 50% health something might be up.
    EU | PC | AD
    Options
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Honfold wrote: »
    If someone spams Steel Tornado they will likely be low on stamina. Which means a stun could equal death for them. It is not like impulse at all in my opinion. Also, can't you block Steel Tornado?

Are light armor wearers un-stunable? Why is that different?

Yes you can block steel tornado, you can also block Impulse and any other AoE since 1.6. So that argument doesn't hold any more.
    EU | PC | AD
    Options
  • Erondil
    Erondil
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You think like a guy doing XvMore, situation in which every player of the outnumbered group has to get survivability skills. In this case yeah, brawler is far better than steel tornado. But DPS players running in a 24-man zerg need to get the best dps and survive thanks to 6 healers. I which case steel tornado is an OP aoe like Maulkin explained.

~retired~
    EU server, former Zerg Squad and Banana Squad officer
    Dennegor NB AD, AvA 50 Grand Overlord 24/05/2016
    rekt you NB AD, AvA 32
    Erondil Sorc AD, AvA 23
    Denne the Banana Slayer NB EP, AvA 14
    Darth Dennegor lv50 Stamina NB DC, AvA 19
    Youtube Channel
    Options
  • Oughash
    Oughash
    ✭✭✭✭
    Couple things to support Maulkin:
    1. Steel Tornado radius is 11m (or is it 12m)? That means the area covered is 11^2 = 121 m^2. This compares to 6^2 = 36 m^2 for impulse. Remember when impulse was changed from 8m to 6m ? That made a HUGE difference. Steel Tornado covers approx 3.5 times the area that impulse does currently.
    2. Steel Tornado gets a 15% dmg buff when your enemies are stunned or immobilized (read: talons). The key in group play is movement.
    3. Steel Tornado gets 20% dmg bonus against low-health enemies.
    4. Axes cause bleeds -- if you're running Skoria it helps you proc a ridiculous amount of meteors. Throw in the PvP set to return resources when killing enemies.
    Options
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ishammael wrote: »
    Couple things to support Maulkin:
    1. Steel Tornado radius is 11m (or is it 12m)? That means the area covered is 11^2 = 121 m^2. This compares to 6^2 = 36 m^2 for impulse. Remember when impulse was changed from 8m to 6m ? That made a HUGE difference. Steel Tornado covers approx 3.5 times the area that impulse does currently.
    2. Steel Tornado gets a 15% dmg buff when your enemies are stunned or immobilized (read: talons). The key in group play is movement.
    3. Steel Tornado gets 20% dmg bonus against low-health enemies.
    4. Axes cause bleeds -- if you're running Skoria it helps you proc a ridiculous amount of meteors. Throw in the PvP set to return resources when killing enemies.

I love math :)

Also @Samadhi #2 is likely the reason for the big hits. I was taloned at the time
    EU | PC | AD
    Options
  • AllPlayAndNoWork
    AllPlayAndNoWork
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    are you honestly trying to suggest that the nightblade skill "steel tornado" is over powered? obsurd, and can only be seen as a joke. im sory but this is laughable.

DW skill..... I use it and yes it is OP when 10-20 of you zerg it.
    Options
  • Scotia
    Scotia
    ✭✭✭
    Nerfing steel tornado must be April Fool's Joke.DW is not used that much as it has no real gap closer, the skill line is fine, if AOE damage is high so be it, every class/weapon skill sets need something.
    Options
  • themdogesbite
    themdogesbite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scotia wrote: »
    Nerfing steel tornado must be April Fool's Joke.DW is not used that much as it has no real gap closer, the skill line is fine, if AOE damage is high so be it, every class/weapon skill sets need something.

maybe its not very used on NA yet, not everyone have figured out that it got similar priority like heals in high latency situations.. you´re welcome.
    Options
  • Domander
    Domander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the only way "steel tornado" will do any real signifacant damage is if your health is low and by "low" i mean you are close to death -as in below 20%-

The first two hits are outside of execute range

You cannot post a screen shot of a death recap and then claim it as the norm for the ability, try not standing in the zerg. It only does great damage at low health.

I've seen impulse spam as well.

I think that instead of whining about an ability, and trying to get it nerfed, maybe you should ask for impulse to be put back at 8m.
    Edited by Domander on April 4, 2015 8:25PM
    Options
  • themdogesbite
    themdogesbite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Domander wrote: »
    the only way "steel tornado" will do any real signifacant damage is if your health is low and by "low" i mean you are close to death -as in below 20%-

You cannot post a screen shot of a death recap and then claim it as the norm for the ability, try not standing in the zerg. It only does good damage at less than 50% health.

It is a good aoe, but it's no impulse.

Its better then impusle, you'll see in a month when people figure it out.
    Options
  • Durham
    Durham
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So Impulse was an AoE spammable skill that made stacking and zerging efficient and was quite rightly nerfed. It had its range decreased, its cost increased and ultimately its damage nerfed.

But now there's a new Impulse. One we can all get behind. One with 12m radius and double the damage of the previous Impulse. An Impulse by the people, for the people. An Impulse named Steel Tornado that every zerg currently runs

6k is definitely at the top end of the damage.. I never get hit for more then 5k
    It also does not give effects its totally not the same...
    Plus its off of stamina that means if your spamming it you cant dodge roll which means you take more damage...
    PVP DEADWAIT
    PVP The Unguildables
    Options
  • Durham
    Durham
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't use steel tornado in PvP ... I have used it before and its far different then impulse was in its hay day......meaning no where near as effective.. 5k is roughly 20% of some ones health... Before 1.6 impulse would 600 to 700 plus you would catch on fire lol... Meanwhile your also standing in wall of flames... Totally not the same....
    Edited by Durham on April 4, 2015 8:28PM
    PVP DEADWAIT
    PVP The Unguildables
    Options
  • Domander
    Domander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Domander wrote: »

You cannot post a screen shot of a death recap and then claim it as the norm for the ability, try not standing in the zerg. It only does good damage at less than 50% health.

It is a good aoe, but it's no impulse.

Its better then impusle, you'll see in a month when people figure it out.

I've already seen it, I've also seen impulse spam, yeah, it's still a "thing". It's a good ability, but I don't think it needs nerfed. Impulse back at 8m might be nice, especially since light armor is so squishy now.
    Options
  • Domander
    Domander
    ✭✭✭✭✭

These "deathballs" don't do much damage at range, I've fought them. It's a fun time to set up siege.
    Options
  • pppontus
    pppontus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw the old EP impulse train a week, they have all switched to caltrops+steel tornado and nothing else.

Thank heavens for siege. <3

But I am honestly surprised how long it takes for this community to figure out what is actually effective, I could've told you a month ago that impulse would be the worst skill in the game as much as steel tornado might be the best one (for AOE obv). But I'm glad to see all those people running 2h as they'd kill me so much faster with dw! Wrecking blow is lol compared to rending slashes/rapid strikes combo.

Either way OP, don't worry .. as soon as people actually catch on and utilize the "OP" mechanics you'll see plenty of nerf threads. People just haven't died to it enough yet. If you want to hurry it up a bit you can grab 3-4 friends and instakill everyone in 12m radius with some coordination. :D
    Options
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steel Tornado is the best aoe in the game. I would rather see other aoe abilities buffed than the before mentioned nerfed. Especially ground targetted and ranged aoe abilities are still severely lacking.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

Options
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I learned from the OP is that Impulse needs to be BUFFED with double the range and twice the damage!

Please, no more nerfs.

Edited by Emma_Overload on April 4, 2015 8:51PM
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
    Options
  • pppontus
    pppontus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, 'cause what this game desperately needs is more AOE. It's not like pve and pvp is enough of an aoeblockfest already.

I have spent enough hours holding RMB while pressing 5,5,5,5,5,5,5,5 plz.
    Options
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @pppontus the ability was already the best AoE in 1.5 but the light armour meta and wall of elements never let it fully catch on.

The ability has actually had a 15% damage nerf due to battle spirit. I had death recaps with 1k hits in 1.5 when in execute range.

Now it's quickly catching on. 5 people running into a tower room or flag spamming tornado cover the entire area and the damage can be huge.

I don't mind it being the hardest hitting AoE, but not with that huge range!

EU | PC | AD
    Options
  • Varicite
    Varicite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only decent stamina AoE for PvE.

But yeah, let's nerf it because you don't know how to move.

They aren't spamming Brawler because it sucks for damage. Why would you spam the LOWEST damage AoE?
    Options
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still think aoe is too weak in this game. It only shines when 12+ Players stack up and spam.
    Imho 2 or three aoe casters should be a considerable threat to a Group of clumped up ppl.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

Options
  • pppontus
    pppontus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @pppontus the ability was already the best AoE in 1.5 but the light armour meta and wall of elements never let it fully catch on.

The ability has actually had a 15% damage nerf due to battle spirit. I had death recaps with 1k hits in 1.5 when in execute range.

Now it's quickly catching on. 5 people running into a tower room or flag spamming tornado cover the entire area and the damage can be huge.

I don't mind it being the hardest hitting AoE, but not with that huge range!

Yeah but the a big win for ST vs. Impulse is that Impulse is blockable now. In 1.5 I could heal/dps in LA and never take my finger off block thus always taking 50% less from ST. Now everything is blockable but my stamina can block nothing. :#

Which in itself is a good thing, permablock sucks badly. But TTK from AOEs like ST is out of control. A blob with that will just instakill everything, with a large radius.

I mean I'll siege the living crap out of them, but I would never attempt to blow up a Zerg like that with actual small group pvp. You can't (unless you got heavy armor maybe.. yay).
    Options