The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Do you agree that optional nameplates, in a similar vein to chat bubbles, would be good for the game

• Tavore1138
    Tavore1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other - Post an explanation?
    magnusnet wrote: »
    Phantax wrote: »
    No for both, it's just not ES !

:(

Good, this is not ES, it's ESO.
    Tandor wrote: »
    Artemiisia wrote: »
    I actually think its sad how people can say no to this, if its optional knowing that it will make lots of other people happy and will have lots of fun with it.

I wont use it either, but knowing that lots will and having their happy times with it, why would I be so selfish to say no to it.

Some players who don't want to use it fear that it will become non-optional as some groups will demand its use, or they may be "gimped" if they don't use it.

Some don't want developers' time spent on this when they feel there are more pressing issues that need addressing.

Some feel that it's the start of a slippery slope towards turning a distinctive MMO into a clone of all the other standard MMOs, and they want none of it.

Those are just a few reasons off the top of my head as to why people may be opposed to a change like this, even if it is stated to be optional. It's not selfish to hold such views.

Why is it so bad to be a "clone" of other MMOs and why are people afraid of it?

And he is right because UI is one of the things that makes many players stay or go (it's not like you see it all the time, every day you play), and current UI is more on the - than on the + side for most players used to MMORPGs.

I can only give my answers to what I see as two key parts of what you said...

Why is it bad to be a clone? Because I have hated every MMO before this with a fiery passion, from the cluttered interfaces to the faux elitism. I tried this because it is based on a favourite set of offline games. I stayed because it has a lot of the same feel plus PvP in an isolated but active area rocks and I enjoy sharing a world with other players. And It doesn't generally have that puerile attitude I have found in my brief dalliances with other MMOs.

You talk about players being used to a current MMO style but to borrow your car analogy that is like a driver refusing to try a flying car because he doesn't feel comfortable without 4 wheels. A case can be made that removing the clutter you relied on creates a different gaming experience where you cannot rely on verbal and numerical information feeds but on visual cues and observation.

The third part of this is that it is possible that ZOS are trying to ride the success of the TES series and so are trying to make this look & feel similar to players like me while allowing hooks for addons for players wanting a more old school MMO look. Without knowing what proportion of what type of players we have it is hard to know whether changes like this will gain or lose players.

GM - Malazan
    Raid Leader - Hungry Wolves
    Legio Mortuum
    Options
  • TehMagnus
    TehMagnus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes - Even if I don't like them, I can just turn them off anyway.

Sorry but all your arguments sound the same to me as the previous ones and all previous arguments I put forwards still apply.
    Why is it bad to be a clone? Because I have hated every MMO before this with a fiery passion, from the cluttered interfaces to the faux elitism. I tried this because it is based on a favourite set of offline games. I stayed because it has a lot of the same feel plus PvP in an isolated but active area rocks and I enjoy sharing a world with other players. And It doesn't generally have that puerile attitude I have found in my brief dalliances with other MMOs.

If you don't want to see nameplates and numbers, once again, you can just disable them, how does it become a clone if nothing changes on your screen? And once again UI has nothing to do with cloning other MMOs. If you've hated every MMO before this, I hope lore and current game mechanics are enough to keep you around because you will end up hating this one as well.
    You talk about players being used to a current MMO style but to borrow your car analogy that is like a driver refusing to try a flying car because he doesn't feel comfortable without 4 wheels. A case can be made that removing the clutter you relied on creates a different gaming experience where you cannot rely on verbal and numerical information feeds but on visual cues and observation.

Comparing TESO to a flying car (in matter of UI) is very laughable, how's being less good than other games (in matter of UI) and restricting the way people want to play an improvement? It feels more like going back to the stone age ( where MMOS had minimalist UIs and no information on the screen) & riding a carriage with horses. Are we playing a retro game? As for visual cues and observation, don't worry you still need them even with addons, content ain't made easier because of add-ons but some of them actually help you play better by giving you performance info (but this is not the subject here). If you want more car analogies, this is like going from a digital screen where you get RPM, speed etc to: nothing.
    The third part of this is that it is possible that ZOS are trying to ride the success of the TES series and so are trying to make this look & feel similar to players like me while allowing hooks for addons for players wanting a more old school MMO look. Without knowing what proportion of what type of players we have it is hard to know whether changes like this will gain or lose players.

Been playing since Arena, been asking for the MMO since Oblivion, doesn't stop me from actually wanting to play competitively and you can't do it without stuff like numbers & buff information. Regarding nametags and chat bubbles I'm not even sure I'll use them if/when they come, but why wouldn't I want other people using it? As for trying to make the game look & feel similar, if this was an idea since the beginning, they wouldn't have added this to the alpha testing.

To sum this up and to answer once again to all your points: As long as you can play it how you want without anything extra on the UI why do you care how we play it? How would adding an optional thing that doesn't change how you play unless you want it, make players leave? Only thing it can do is bring them back. And if you're afraid this is just a first step to adding more stuff to the UI like "numbers" and people will ask you to use stuff like DPS meters, then not only should you not be playing with those kind of people (since they clearly don't see the game as you do and there's obviously people like you out there you could/should group with), but they most def don't want to play with you.

No matter how you present the arguments, end result is and always will be the same: It doesn't affect you and a lot of people want it.
    Edited by TehMagnus on September 15, 2014 10:14AM
    Options
  • WraithAzraiel
    WraithAzraiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I'd love to be able to have the guild that I'm representing beneath my name.

I know I know, *heavy lisp* Sthaaahp trying to ruin my immershions guysssth!11!"

Immersion be damned, there's an add-on for that. (I highly recommend Wykkyd's Gaming Suite) This is an MMO and as such should be afforded the same creature comforts and functionality available to us in other MMO's. (The only one with being able to represent multiple guilds that springs to mind is GW2)
    Shendell De'Gull - V14 Vampire Nightblade

Captain of the Black Howling

"There's no such thing as overkill..."

"No problem on the face of the Earth exists what can't be fixed with the proper application of enough duct tape and 550 cord."

P2PBetaTesters
    #Tamriel_BETA_Team
    #BETA_TESTER4LYF
    DominionMasterRace
    #GOAHEADTHEYGOTCANDY
    #SEEMSLEGIT
    Options
  • Swampster
    Swampster
    ✭✭✭
    GnatB wrote: »
    Swampster wrote: »
    For some bizzare reason I can tolerate writing over everybody's head, but not a solid coloured bar.. don't ask me why, I'm just weird I guess :)

Just a suggestion, you can toggle whom the bars show up for. I personally only have them show up on enemies (always) and wounded allies.

The former lets me know whether or not I need to avoid a random NPC, (assuming I'm not looking for a fight), while the latter lets me know if somebody is in trouble/needs help.

With minimal amount (IMO) of clutter in normal situations.

I know, and I have them turned off.. my point was about the addition of nameplates, and I'd happily accept them if the health bar wasn't bundled in with the name plate.. and that they remained 2 separate entities

Swampriel - Nightblade (Archer Build) - Ebonheart Pact - Veteran
    Swampess - DragonKnight - Eboheart Pact - Lowbie Faceroller
    Options
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    GnatB wrote: »
    For some bizzare reason I can tolerate writing over everybody's head, but not a solid coloured bar.. don't ask me why, I'm just weird I guess :)

Just a suggestion, you can toggle whom the bars show up for. I personally only have them show up on enemies (always) and wounded allies.

The former lets me know whether or not I need to avoid a random NPC, (assuming I'm not looking for a fight), while the latter lets me know if somebody is in trouble/needs help.

With minimal amount (IMO) of clutter in normal situations.

I know, and I have them turned off.. my point was about the addition of nameplates, and I'd happily accept them if the health bar wasn't bundled in with the name plate.. and that they remained 2 separate entities

Gotcha, yeah they definitely should be separate options just like everything else is now (chevrons, healthbars, etc.) :).
    -First-Wave Closed Beta Tester of the Psijic Order, aka the 0.016 percent.
    Exploits suck. Don't blame just the game, blame the players abusing them!

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I'd love to be able to have the guild that I'm representing beneath my name.

I know I know, *heavy lisp* Sthaaahp trying to ruin my immershions guysssth!11!"

Immersion be damned, there's an add-on for that. (I highly recommend Wykkyd's Gaming Suite) This is an MMO and as such should be afforded the same creature comforts and functionality available to us in other MMO's. (The only one with being able to represent multiple guilds that springs to mind is GW2)

Quoted for truth.

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.
    Smiteye
    ✭✭✭
    magnusnet wrote: »

Sorry but all your arguments sound the same to me as the previous ones and all previous arguments I put forwards still apply.

If you don't want to see nameplates and numbers, once again, you can just disable them, how does it become a clone if nothing changes on your screen? And once again UI has nothing to do with cloning other MMOs. If you've hated every MMO before this, I hope lore and current game mechanics are enough to keep you around because you will end up hating this one as well.

Comparing TESO to a flying car (in matter of UI) is very laughable, how's being less good than other games (in matter of UI) and restricting the way people want to play an improvement? It feels more like going back to the stone age ( where MMOS had minimalist UIs and no information on the screen) & riding a carriage with horses. Are we playing a retro game? As for visual cues and observation, don't worry you still need them even with addons, content ain't made easier because of add-ons but some of them actually help you play better by giving you performance info (but this is not the subject here). If you want more car analogies, this is like going from a digital screen where you get RPM, speed etc to: nothing.

Been playing since Arena, been asking for the MMO since Oblivion, doesn't stop me from actually wanting to play competitively and you can't do it without stuff like numbers & buff information. Regarding nametags and chat bubbles I'm not even sure I'll use them if/when they come, but why wouldn't I want other people using it? As for trying to make the game look & feel similar, if this was an idea since the beginning, they wouldn't have added this to the alpha testing.

To sum this up and to answer once again to all your points: As long as you can play it how you want without anything extra on the UI why do you care how we play it? How would adding an optional thing that doesn't change how you play unless you want it, make players leave? Only thing it can do is bring them back. And if you're afraid this is just a first step to adding more stuff to the UI like "numbers" and people will ask you to use stuff like DPS meters, then not only should you not be playing with those kind of people (since they clearly don't see the game as you do and there's obviously people like you out there you could/should group with), but they most def don't want to play with you.

No matter how you present the arguments, end result is and always will be the same: It doesn't affect you and a lot of people want it.

Exactly, why is it OK to these guys to demand that people cant have nameplates optionally because they don't want to use them? They can just leave them off, problem solved!
    And if you're afraid this is just a first step to adding more stuff to the UI like "numbers" and people will ask you to use stuff like DPS meters, then not only should you not be playing with those kind of people (since they clearly don't see the game as you do and there's obviously people like you out there you could/should group with), but they most def don't want to play with you.

Exactly even without numbers people can tell if youre derping and dying or not doing much damage, it isnt rocket science. Numbers and UI options have NOTHING to do with that at all period...!
    Options
  • Smiteye
    Smiteye
    ✭✭✭

Its ok for them to say we have to use addons but if we heaven forfend ask them to it's a national crisis! "Play my way or not at all, no options for you!" Even though they dont have to use the option.
    Edited by Smiteye on September 15, 2014 12:02PM
    Options
  • Swampster
    Swampster
    ✭✭✭
    Shaun98ca2 wrote: »
    Right now it not being in the game actually isn't hurting anybody. The game is and HAS BEEN playable.

For you maybe.. for me the game is not playable without the plethora of addons that I have. And I hate having to use add-ons! I think the default UI as it is.. is an abomination in terms of usability and usefulness.

It is a pain in the rear to use, it provides next to zero feedback, doesn't promote any kind of social interaction.. and for me makes the game world less "immersive".

As for the miniscule amounts of "advantage" you seem so overtly concerned about (which I would dispute anyway).. you really need to be pushing the devs for tighter controls if you're that paranoid...

The following is the logical result of such a ludicrous "teh advantage!!!11!!111!" argument..

The ability to change brightness/gamma etc need to be removed.
    Turning various levels of volume up and down needs to be removed.
    All add-ons need to be banned.
    3rd party apps such as Ventrillo, TS3, Mumble etc should be banned.
    3rd party apps such as Sweet FX should be banned.
    These apps should be checked for on game load.. and the game shouldn't load if they are running, because the advantage gained from these apps is potentially HUGE.
    The game should check if you have a more powerful PC than me, and slow down the game to lowest common denominator.
    It should also check if your ping is better than mine, and artificially make everybody's ping 200ms at the very least. (not sure if they're not experimenting with this on the EU server actually ;))

Quite insane, but then that's how objecting to having toggle-able options appears to me too!

Edited by Swampster on September 15, 2014 12:18PM
    Options
  • butterfly442
    butterfly442
    ✭✭✭
    NO. End of discussion.
    Options
  • fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love all those who vote 'no' .. clearly this OPTION wouldn't affect a single one of you as you wouldn't see the plates, I presume you're simply sad individuals of the "I don't want it so no-one will have it" mentality.
    Edited by fromtesonlineb16_ESO on September 15, 2014 12:20PM
    Options
  • Tavore1138
    Tavore1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The comedy is that if I have an opinion I am denying your rights as expert MMO players who want to compete, if you have an opinion I must suck it up because it might spoil your fun if I don't.

Maybe my fun is defined by this not being like a generic MMO with all the interpersonal BS that represents. In many ways it is not the features that are the issue but the mindset they enable.

This game benefits from a lack of people spending entirely too much time comparing the size of their DPS scores, the more it gets these generic features the more it becomes intolerant and elitist and hostile to those who want to have fun without having to submit a resume containing their build, DPS and so on to people who feel they have a right to judge such things.

This game is different because it is largely free of elitist trolls and griefers, I would like it to stay that way.
    GM - Malazan
    Legio Mortuum
    Options
  • Swampster
    Swampster
    ✭✭✭
    The comedy is that if I have an opinion I am denying your rights as expert MMO players who want to compete, if you have an opinion I must suck it up because it might spoil your fun if I don't.

Maybe my fun is defined by this not being like a generic MMO with all the interpersonal BS that represents. In many ways it is not the features that are the issue but the mindset they enable.

This game benefits from a lack of people spending entirely too much time comparing the size of their DPS scores, the more it gets these generic features the more it becomes intolerant and elitist and hostile to those who want to have fun without having to submit a resume containing their build, DPS and so on to people who feel they have a right to judge such things.

This game is different because it is largely free of elitist trolls and griefers, I would like it to stay that way.

Your entire argument is moot, because DPS meters are already available in game.. as add-ons and as yet I don't know a MMO that includes DPS counters by default. At least none of the MMO's I've played have.. which doesn't include WoW btw, as I've never played it.

And and going from integrated (optional) nameplates to addon DPS meters is a bit of a leap...

But anyway those same "elitist trolls" who use DPS meters to ascertain whether you're pulling your weight or not are still out there in plenty. Indeed tying to join some timed/hardmode runs as a stamina build NB can prove fruitless it would seem.. and that's without any input from addons.

Edited by Swampster on September 15, 2014 12:40PM
    Options
  • Xeres14
    Xeres14
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah but it in and give an option to turn it on or off. This is kind of a no brainer.
    Options
  • Khami
    Khami
    ✭✭✭✭
    What do you need nameplates for? The only info the UI doesn't give you about another play is what guild they are in and that would be impossible with they allow you to be in five guilds. Which guild get shown?

Less BS on my screen the better. Don't tell me to turn it off. How about the default be off and you have to turn it on.
    Options
  • stewie_801
    stewie_801
    ✭✭✭
    Fine with both, with the optional part implemented. Would like to see for PVP is only in the group I am in, so at sieges there would not be a lot of clutter, and I could still want to use it.
    PC/NA Ebonheart Pact
    Invictus , Teut Spindle Your Brindle Officer
    Stewie the Destroyer Imperial Templar Former Emperor of Haderus
    Stewie's Big Ole Johnson Khajiit Nightblade
    Ser Arthur Dayne Dark Elf Dragonknight Former Emperor of Chillrend and Haderus
    Stewie's Bank Slot High Elf Sorcerer

Options
  • Swampster
    Swampster
    ✭✭✭
    Khami wrote:
    What do you need nameplates for? The only info the UI doesn't give you about another play is what guild they are in and that would be impossible with they allow you to be in five guilds. Which guild get shown?

It allows me to see at a glance who is around me in a busy town for example without having to hover over each person individually.. as for which guild gets shown, the player can choose which get shown, the same way they can choose titles. Not hard is it?
    Khami wrote:
    Don't tell me to turn it off. How about the default be off and you have to turn it on.

Is that argument for argument's sake? I'm pretty sure people have said they'd be happy if the default was off.. but they could if they chose turn it on!

I assume, if you don't have to turn it off you wouldn't object then?

Edited by Swampster on September 15, 2014 1:00PM
    Options
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've only ever played MMOs without such "nameplates". What's the appeal?

Chat bubbles are absolutely necessary, though. Glad they finally make it in.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
    Options
  • Swampster
    Swampster
    ✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »
    I've only ever played MMOs without such "nameplates".

Really? Seriously, I've never seen another MMO that doesn't have them?

Options
  • GaiusCastricius
    I think yes completly as even running in small groups it's a lot easier to see in PvP or PvE group fighting but with a bit of customization with it aka perhaps selecting which players chat bubbles pop up or only group bubbles that sort of thing so players don't have to deal with excessive spam and the UI getting cluttered up. A lot of it will come down to user preference but it's always a great option for any game to give players the choice.
    Gaius Castricius, House Of Castricii
    Options
  • TehMagnus
    TehMagnus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

This is a lie because most people run FTC which has a DPS meter and linker and in order to get into good guilds you need to show your DPS so this mentality is already in place and will only get worse as more and more people learn how to play right and take on the same mentality.
    It isn't, you just haven't met them yet :), moreover, as time passes, more and more people learn to play better (since Elitists are training people who have the capacity to get better because there aren't enough high level players and there is inter alliance competition). The difference will then be even more noticeable and the amount of people doing it right and refusing to engage in hard/end game content with people like you who just "want to have fun" will only increase. UI has nothing to do with this and won't keep you from being rejected by "Elitist meanies". Might as well quit now if that's so traumatizing for you because it's going to happen.

At last all you say, besides of being unfounded fears, has nothing what so ever to do with OP that only asks if people want Nameplates along with talking bubbles.

UI doesn't push or enable the Elitist mindset, the fact that there is a metagame and hard content does and it's a good thing there is hard content and it's inevitable to have a metagame (unless everything you do is op which then makes hard content easy). Just the way MMOs work ESO isn't an exception.
    Edited by TehMagnus on September 15, 2014 2:27PM
    Options
  • Tavore1138
    Tavore1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Granted we are straying a little far from the OP but I would suggest that wanting to have fun and not treat a game as 'work' doesn't prevent you from being good and able to run in a decent group, although granted it probably it will stop you from being emperor or doing an 8 minute trial.

But you are right the attitude is there already as you have just demonstrated all too clearly so as long as they are totally optional who cares?

I guess I am just lucky enough to be running with guilds who do the advanced content without being too uptight about being perfect or the very very best.
    Edited by Tavore1138 on September 15, 2014 2:33PM
    GM - Malazan
    Legio Mortuum
    Options
  • Xeres14
    Xeres14
    ✭✭✭
    OK fine, leave it off and put an option to turn it on. No biggie.
    Options
  • TehMagnus
    TehMagnus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Granted we are straying a little far from the OP but I would suggest that wanting to have fun and not treat a game as 'work' doesn't prevent you from being good and able to run in a decent group, although granted it probably it will stop you from being emperor or doing an 8 minute trial.

But you are right the attitude is there already as you have just demonstrated all too clearly so as long as they are totally optional who cares?

I guess I am just lucky enough to be running with guilds who do the advanced content without being too uptight about being perfect or the very very best.

And it's a good thing there are guilds like this which is why I think the "multiple guilds" idea is awesome since it allows people with similar mindsets to regroup & create communities that suit their playstile :).

You also probably are part of the players that where traumatized in WOW, the reason you think there aren't as many Elitist **** in ESO may also be because of the fact a lot of them are nice people that are not 16 years old (and thus don't think they're the last pepsicola in the desert) that of course prefer to do raids with only OP people to do speedruns and blablabla, but also don't mind joining pug groups & teaching the ropes the rest of the time while having fun!
    Edited by TehMagnus on September 15, 2014 3:13PM
    Options
  • redsteelb16_ESO
    I think players should have the ability to see names and heath bars. In another game, they had it set off by default, but once you got involved in the endgame content it was more useful to see it, so I turn them on, But the game give the player the freedom to select who name and bars to see, example only people in your group, etc.

I think it should be disable by default but a player could turn it on, and they should also give players the ability to choose who to see (group only, guild only, non-group players, npc).
    Edited by redsteelb16_ESO on September 15, 2014 3:24PM
    Options
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Khami wrote: »

Less BS on my screen the better. Don't tell me to turn it off. How about the default be off and you have to turn it on.

Default off is fine, who cares about that part :)? The problem is you can't enable them even with addons at this time. It's simple to address what guild would be displayed, with a basic button on the roster of your guild screen that you could click saying "Represent this guild" at any given time.

I explained in a good depth as to what nameplates accomplish in the OP, I'd encourage you to read it to answer that question :).

Smiteye
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno‌ @ZOS_JessicaFolsom‌ comment?
    Edited by Smiteye on September 15, 2014 3:54PM
    Options
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Smiteye wrote: »

Would love to see one :).

ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager

They're still on the table as a possibility, and something we're looking at. They always have been. But we don't have any new info to share
    Jessica Folsom
    Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
    Options
    Staff Post
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

They're still on the table as a possibility, and something we're looking at. They always have been. But we don't have any new info to share

Very cool, thanks for the update! I'll keep my eyes open for news later on then ;).

EDIT: On a completely unrelated note, the new craglorn quest delves are very fun, just finished the celestial defense one in Skyreach. Antirob's been streaming us going through a few of them...
    Edited by Attorneyatlawl on September 15, 2014 5:48PM