The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Do you agree that optional nameplates, in a similar vein to chat bubbles, would be good for the game

• Drazhar14
    Drazhar14
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes - Even if I don't like them, I can just turn them off anyway.
    I would not use them, since they take up space on the screen and I can just point my crosshair at a player to see what their name is. However, more options is always better.
    Options
  • Saet
    Saet
    ✭✭✭
    Yes because a lot of people want them. I do not. I know how to point my mouse towards someone to see their name.
    Saet - stam nb
    Hordak - magicka nb
    Demigorgon - stam sorc
    Options
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Artemiisia wrote: »
    I actually think its sad how people can say no to this, if its optional knowing that it will make lots of other people happy and will have lots of fun with it.

I wont use it either, but knowing that lots will and having their happy times with it, why would I be so selfish to say no to it.

Sorry to be negative but saying that anything that will allow a subset of people to have fun should be allowed by default is a crazy way to approach life especially if it runs the risk of having a negative impact on the experience of others.

Why must we continually bow to those who want ESO to be just like all the other MMOs? You know, the ones the don't play anymore...

It doesn't have any negative impact on others, though. It would be an optional toggle on your side, as described in the OP.

And as far as "bowing to people who don't play ESO", you do realize people have to have an active subscription here to post, right? Besides, as you can see in this huge reddit thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/2g8dup/news_chat_bubbles_in_update_5/ dozens of people have said they will come back for chat bubbles for rp purposes. Plenty would come back for nameplates for better pvp/pve organization and the additional RP features they would add alongside them.
    -First-Wave Closed Beta Tester of the Psijic Order, aka the 0.016 percent.
    Exploits suck. Don't blame just the game, blame the players abusing them!

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.
    Smiteye
    ✭✭✭
    Drjones501 wrote: »
    I am of the same school of thinking that the name plates turn a much more realistic looking mmo into a wowish cartoon. And they would just be plain ignorant to use in pvp. This is the first mmo I know of to not have them and make hiding a valid part of pvp. Sometimes I wonder if the core TES fans are gone and an influx of trash mmo players have taken over with thier ideas. It's the complete opposite of the type of mmo the devs were creating from the start, one major feature being the minimalist UI. This community reminds me of a bunch of jerk offs in a restaurant that order made up *** without even opening a menu...

Hiding isnt affected any more by nameplates than overhead alliance tags that already exist or overhead healthbars. What is your point?
    Options
  • Artemiisia
    Artemiisia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually think its sad how people can say no to this, if its optional knowing that it will make lots of other people happy and will have lots of fun with it.

I wont use it either, but knowing that lots will and having their happy times with it, why would I be so selfish to say no to it.

Sorry to be negative but saying that anything that will allow a subset of people to have fun should be allowed by default is a crazy way to approach life especially if it runs the risk of having a negative impact on the experience of others.

Why must we continually bow to those who want ESO to be just like all the other MMOs? You know, the ones the don't play anymore...

Well I refuse to be negative on something others like that dont hurt me or my gameplay at all. The chat bubbles will make it so much easier for RPs to do their thing, so just because I dont do it, who erm I to say and judge that this shouldn't be part of the game.

anything thats put in the game thats optional, shouldn't in my strongest opinion be debated at all, if it makes lots of people happy, and it dont actually give anything to real game play like chat bubbles, dyes and such
    Options
  • Khami
    Khami
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, no, no, no.

Let me say it again NO!

I like my clean UI and I like to keep it that way.
    Options
  • Elloa
    Elloa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other - Post an explanation?
    I don't think that Nameplates would be "Good for the game" I think it doesn't matter at all.
    But I'm not against it IF and ONLY IF, I can disable it.

Personally, I hate to have my screen cluttered with useless stuff and knowing the name of the people around me is not useful, as I can mouseover them if I like.

In the case of the bubble chat, its a different matter. For roleplayers the chat bubbles are a great improvement as they will be able to see what they are saying to each other, and while it will clutter the image with texts, it will be in a "Comic" way, and not be as disturbing as nameplates would be from a immersion point of view.
    Then again, it's very needed that we can disable them.
    Personally, I'll only put the chat bubble on when and if I'm roleplaying.
    Options
  • Arsenic_Touch
    Arsenic_Touch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What part of "optional" are some of you failing to grasp?
    Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

╔═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗
    "Hope can drown lost in thunderous sound."
    "Fear can claim what little faith remains."
    "Death will take those who fight alone."
    "But united we can break a fate once set in stone."

╚═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╝

NA // Ebonheart Pact // Leader of CORE Legion // Namira Beta Tester // VR11 NB
    Options
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I was very careful to make the optional and toggleable part of the suggestion prominent, actually, too.... :disappointed: . I even addressed the optional part/preference and "hiding in pvp" concerns like so inside of the actual poll section, an inch above...

"In short, the poll question: Would you support the addition of optional nameplates for the reasons stated above, to go in with chat bubbles? Obviously they could and should be able to be toggled off full-time for those who don't want or like them. Obviously they would function like chevrons do in the alliance war (faction markers) and fade with distance and hide when an enemy is sneaking."

It would save a lot of questions if people read what they were replying to, for sure, but that is why I responded to them to clarify, at least.
    Elloa wrote: »
    I don't think that Nameplates would be "Good for the game" I think it doesn't matter at all.
    But I'm not against it IF and ONLY IF, I can disable it.

Personally, I hate to have my screen cluttered with useless stuff and knowing the name of the people around me is not useful, as I can mouseover them if I like.

In the case of the bubble chat, its a different matter. For roleplayers the chat bubbles are a great improvement as they will be able to see what they are saying to each other, and while it will clutter the image with texts, it will be in a "Comic" way, and not be as disturbing as nameplates would be from a immersion point of view.
    Then again, it's very needed that we can disable them.
    Personally, I'll only put the chat bubble on when and if I'm roleplaying.

The nameplates are useful for raiders, pvp'ers, and general socialization and a great improvement for them, too, for the reasons outlined in the OP. No one wants to force you to play with them, hence why it is said as optional. :) You may consider them to be screen clutter, but it is not feasible to mouseover everyone inside of a bank for example just to see if there's anyone you recognize, for example, nor is it practical during heavy pvp combat to try to hover all around to figure out where a specific person is who's called out for heals based off their name, for example.

Different people have different priorities for their time playing the game, so having them as optional components would let everyone win. If you think they hurt your UI and clutter your screen, leave them disabled if they're implemented. Those who like them can enable them. :smiley:
    Edited by Attorneyatlawl on September 14, 2014 6:57PM

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.
    Arsenic_Touch
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I was very careful to make the optional and toggleable part of the suggestion prominent, actually, too.... :disappointed: .

Couldn't get any more obvious unless you reached through the screen and bonked them with a hammer.

What I can't figure out is why ZoS is struggling to add this. It's a basic function of mmorpgs.... I mean seriously? We're 6 months in and we're still missing some pretty basic functions. Makes my head hurt.
    Edited by Arsenic_Touch on September 14, 2014 6:57PM
    Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

╔═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗
    "Hope can drown lost in thunderous sound."
    "Fear can claim what little faith remains."
    "Death will take those who fight alone."
    "But united we can break a fate once set in stone."

╚═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╝

NA // Ebonheart Pact // Leader of CORE Legion // Namira Beta Tester // VR11 NB
    Options
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I was very careful to make the optional and toggleable part of the suggestion prominent, actually, too.... :disappointed: .

Couldn't get any more obvious unless you reached through the screen and bonked them with a hammer.

What I can't figure out is why ZoS is struggling to add this. It's a basic function of mmorpgs.... I mean seriously? We're 6 months in and we're still missing some pretty basic functions. Makes my head hurt.

Yeah, it's very basic industry-standard functionality for a reason, and that's not because they suck and make every game into a clone of eachother. The UI is simply a presentation of game information, not the game itself. Options and settings are basic features in electronic software so that it can suit everyone's needs as appropriate.

It's very disappointing that movement has been so slow on this and other UI fixes including many basics like camera options, inventory text search, the return of the combat log tab on the chat box that used to be there (no so-called "screen clutter" even, just a tab used to be there like any other chat tab on your window), among others. One step at a time though... chat bubble options are a good first step, presumably the first of many to come like nameplate options, hopefully.

These issues can, will, do, and have driven people away from the game, and made many not take a second look when researching it. If you went to buy a car and it didn't come with a seatbelt, would you really think the rest was well-built? I know I sure wouldn't! What about a door lock? That's industry-standard, but people are arguing that it is OK because an addon---err, I mean, "a third party" could add one to a car for example if it didn't come as an option?
    Edited by Attorneyatlawl on September 14, 2014 7:05PM

Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »

Some players who don't want to use it fear that it will become non-optional as some groups will demand its use, or they may be "gimped" if they don't use it.

Some don't want developers' time spent on this when they feel there are more pressing issues that need addressing.

Some feel that it's the start of a slippery slope towards turning a distinctive MMO into a clone of all the other standard MMOs, and they want none of it.

Those are just a few reasons off the top of my head as to why people may be opposed to a change like this, even if it is stated to be optional. It's not selfish to hold such views.

Options
  • Smiteye
    Smiteye
    ✭✭✭
    Shaun98ca2 wrote: »

Some players who don't want to use it fear that it will become non-optional as some groups will demand its use, or they may be "gimped" if they don't use it.

Some don't want developers' time spent on this when they feel there are more pressing issues that need addressing.

Some feel that it's the start of a slippery slope towards turning a distinctive MMO into a clone of all the other standard MMOs, and they want none of it.

Those are just a few reasons off the top of my head as to why people may be opposed to a change like this, even if it is stated to be optional. It's not selfish to hold such views.

I think that argument was shot to pieces by @Attorneyatlawl a dozen times over by now
    Options
  • Shaun98ca2
    Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smiteye wrote: »

I think that argument was shot to pieces by @Attorneyatlawl a dozen times over by now

You can shoot the argument down all you want. If there is a chance that an addition to the game is detrimental to some one elses gameplay that is against that whether an option or not....

Why should the play have to suffer???? Lets pretend the subject matter isn't something as minor as Nameplates but much much bigger like being allow the boss mod from wow.

Its optional but people don't want it in their game. MAYBE some people came to this game and invested in it specifically for that reason.

Now to have a chance for this to be forced upon them the simple answer from people is NO.

Same thing with Nameplates once its added into the game.... your pretty much stupid for not using it...so now the "option" is forced upon you.
    Options
  • Smiteye
    Smiteye
    ✭✭✭

You can shoot the argument down all you want. If there is a chance that an addition to the game is detrimental to some one elses gameplay that is against that whether an option or not....

Why should the play have to suffer???? Lets pretend the subject matter isn't something as minor as Nameplates but much much bigger like being allow the boss mod from wow.

Its optional but people don't want it in their game. MAYBE some people came to this game and invested in it specifically for that reason.

Now to have a chance for this to be forced upon them the simple answer from people is NO.

Same thing with Nameplates once its added into the game.... your pretty much stupid for not using it...so now the "option" is forced upon you.

He already talked about that and last I checked people who want nameplates are players too
    Options
  • Shaun98ca2
    Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭

He already talked about that and last I checked people who want nameplates are players too

That's correct then the real issue is which player do you tailor to cause both cant be winners.

Just like long ago the API arguments you cant please both SOMEBODY is going to be unhappy.

Throwing in the word OPTION doesn't change the fact that once its added it becomes a non optional conformity.

Your adding an option that's beneficial to those who use it and detrimental to those who don't.

Right now it not being in the game actually isn't hurting anybody. The game is and HAS BEEN playable.
    Options
  • GnatB
    GnatB
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think name plates are FAR more important/useful than chat bubbles, however there are far more important UI features that need to be implemented before either of them. These two should be just about the bottom of the list. So far down I don't think either really deserve to be brought up on the forums.
    Achievements Suck
    Options
  • GnatB
    GnatB
    ✭✭✭✭
    Swampster wrote: »
    For some bizzare reason I can tolerate writing over everybody's head, but not a solid coloured bar.. don't ask me why, I'm just weird I guess :)

Just a suggestion, you can toggle whom the bars show up for. I personally only have them show up on enemies (always) and wounded allies.

The former lets me know whether or not I need to avoid a random NPC, (assuming I'm not looking for a fight), while the latter lets me know if somebody is in trouble/needs help.

With minimal amount (IMO) of clutter in normal situations.
    Achievements Suck
    Options
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

That's correct then the real issue is which player do you tailor to cause both cant be winners.

Just like long ago the API arguments you cant please both SOMEBODY is going to be unhappy.

Throwing in the word OPTION doesn't change the fact that once its added it becomes a non optional conformity.

Your adding an option that's beneficial to those who use it and detrimental to those who don't.

Right now it not being in the game actually isn't hurting anybody. The game is and HAS BEEN playable.

Addons are options too, you don't have to use them any more than you'd have to use optional nameplates. Player behavior should not dictate whether useful features are added... everyone wins with optional things for the UI settings :) Insisting it wouldn't be an option is like insisting the sky is magenta: it isn't true, no matter how many times you say it. The argument of whether some things could be considered desirable by the playerbase already had its ship sail when addons were allowed and default overhead health bars, alliance chevrons, and chat bubbles. It's more a matter of if they are a good option for people than anything at this point.
    Edited by Attorneyatlawl on September 14, 2014 8:54PM

Tavore1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

It doesn't have any negative impact on others, though. It would be an optional toggle on your side, as described in the OP.

And as far as "bowing to people who don't play ESO", you do realize people have to have an active subscription here to post, right? Besides, as you can see in this huge reddit thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/2g8dup/news_chat_bubbles_in_update_5/ dozens of people have said they will come back for chat bubbles for rp purposes. Plenty would come back for nameplates for better pvp/pve organization and the additional RP features they would add alongside them.

I was not referring to people who do not play. For an attorney to put a made up quote in quote marks? Shame on you sir!

I did miss a 'y' off the word they.

My point being if people were so enamoured of speech bubbles, flying mounts, name plates, auction houses, world pvp, corpse runs or whatever other thing they demand ESO to add next then why are they here at all and not still playing whichever game was sooooo much better? My guess is that it is because this game is new and different... but when they have made all these changes it will no longer be new and different. At which point they will all roll their eyes at how boringly like every other MMO this has become and move on like a zerging swarm.
    GM - Malazan
    Raid Leader - Hungry Wolves
    Legio Mortuum
    Options
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wait, so they are actually going to add chat bubbles and this is what they look like? Huh, that's not bad. If you could limit the channels that appear, I might actually turn these on.

Name plates on the other hand would need to be highly customizable. Out in the open, they wouldn't be so bad, but in the bank I feel like it's way too much clutter. If I have to turn them on and off every time I came to the city, I just wouldn't use them.

On another note, I would also want the option to turn my nameplate off for other people if they did add it. If I'm out in the middle of nowhere, there are times I don't want a flag over my head drawing attention. And other times I might like to role play as an NPC.
    Edited by driosketch on September 14, 2014 10:19PM
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
    Options
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes and i like them , multiple threads already asked for this.

But the devs are so imcompetent that even today we still dont have the chat bubbles , which they said they would add a LONG time ago , i have little hope they will get around to actually doing a good work and adding more things soon.
    Edited by Nox_Aeterna on September 14, 2014 10:28PM
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
    Options
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I was not referring to people who do not play. For an attorney to put a made up quote in quote marks? Shame on you sir!

I did miss a 'y' off the word they.

My point being if people were so enamoured of speech bubbles, flying mounts, name plates, auction houses, world pvp, corpse runs or whatever other thing they demand ESO to add next then why are they here at all and not still playing whichever game was sooooo much better? My guess is that it is because this game is new and different... but when they have made all these changes it will no longer be new and different. At which point they will all roll their eyes at how boringly like every other MMO this has become and move on like a zerging swarm.

Well, I basically was addressing what you were saying, even though I did misread it slightly then ;). Personally the reason I'm here is Cyrodiil and the lack of a pvp-specific stat. This is the first game in ages to provide that. However, having a sorely lacking UI is a detriment to the game, not a benefit, and has nothing to do with gameplay or turning it into a clone of past mmo's. I've already addressed some of that so there's little reason to re-hash it, I suppose.

Sasky
    ✭✭✭
    Those diametrically opposed to it, please suggest a minimalist UI approach that gives that info well in a quick-paced situation like PvE dungeons, trials, etc or PvP combat. There are numerous comments stating that the intent is you should get the information from the UI itself, but with this much of a reaction there obvious shortcomings -- whether for identifying someone in a group or for quickly locating a group member.
    Sasky (Zaniira, Daggerfall Covenant)
    Addons: AutoInvite, CyrHUD, Others
    Options
  • TehMagnus
    TehMagnus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Phantax wrote: »
    No for both, it's just not ES !

:(

Good, this is not ES, it's ESO.

Why would someone force you to use it? Why would you want to play with someone that forces you to use it? If you're playing with people asking you to use it for some reason (like the only thing I can imagine is because you have to stack on the player or heal him) and you can't understand that reason, you shouldn't be playing with them to being with. If you're afraid they'll realize you're a noob easier thanks to the nameplate then yes, you're right, it will save them 20secs compared to what happens nowadays when one of them asks: "who da f*** is this idiot using a bow for the last 2 bosses in AA and just puts his cursor on you to see who you are". Those who can't spot you without nametags aren't skilled enough to spot you even with nametags anyways.

Why is it so bad to be a "clone" of other MMOs and why are people afraid of it? How does implementing a simple thing to make people's life easier makes it a "clone" of other MMOs? TESO's difference is based on the game mechanics, trade & sales system, leveling, story, questing. It ain't based on UI elements.

This is like saying: "Let's not put 4 wheels on our car, it makes it look too much like other cars, let's just put rocks instead of wheels and no motor engine (because all cars have one and this is not a car like the others" <=They'll have to drive it like the Flintstones but HEY! it's NOT like other cars".

Besides the dev ressources, there is no valid reason to say this shouldn't be implemented since a great deal of people do want it. And regarding dev resources, op isn't saying: "This should be done now with prime priority", it's saying: "It should be done at some point don't you guys think?"

And he is right because UI is one of the things that makes many players stay or go (it's not like you see it all the time, every day you play), and current UI is more on the - than on the + side for most players used to MMORPGs.

Edit: Note that I don't think this should be a priority, not even the chat bubles (that I prolly wont activate), and the UI needs other stuff first. But Nametags would be nice.
    Edited by TehMagnus on September 15, 2014 7:53AM
    Options
  • Smiteye
    Smiteye
    ✭✭✭
    @magnusnet, great post
    Options
  • Vahrokh
    Vahrokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, in PvP name plates foster guild and realm pride and are a potent driver. Playing against "random nameless drones" gives no satisfaction, no desire for vengeance, no competition.
    Options
  • bosmern_ESO
    bosmern_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I 100% support
    ~Thallen~
    Options
  • Smiteye
    Smiteye
    ✭✭✭
    Vahrokh wrote: »
    Yes, in PvP name plates foster guild and realm pride and are a potent driver. Playing against "random nameless drones" gives no satisfaction, no desire for vengeance, no competition.

Ya it is hard to build rivalry with nameless foes that may as well be npcs in terms of identity
    Options
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    magnusnet wrote: »
    How does implementing a simple thing to make people's life easier makes it a "clone" of other MMOs? TESO's difference is based on the game mechanics, trade & sales system, leveling, story, questing. It ain't based on UI elements.

This is like saying: "Let's not put 4 wheels on our car, it makes it look too much like other cars, let's just put rocks instead of wheels and no motor engine (because all cars have one and this is not a car like the others" <=They'll have to drive it like the Flintstones but HEY! it's NOT like other cars".

Besides the dev ressources, there is no valid reason to say this shouldn't be implemented since a great deal of people do want it. And regarding dev resources, op isn't saying: "This should be done now with prime priority", it's saying: "It should be done at some point don't you guys think?"

And he is right because UI is one of the things that makes many players stay or go (it's not like you see it all the time, every day you play), and current UI is more on the - than on the + side for most players used to MMORPGs.

I'd post a cool meme picture of a standing ovation to the quoted parts here, but I don't have one ready. In its place I have written these two sentences.