The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Do you agree that optional nameplates, in a similar vein to chat bubbles, would be good for the game

• Shaun98ca2
    Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Artemiisia wrote: »
    such a long post for such an easy answer

anything thats optional in the game, cant bother either me or others

so bring it on

Quoted for truth.
    Shaun98ca2 wrote: »
    Well then I want godmode....just have my xp and loot turned off while its turned on cause that's the way I want to play.

Make this an option.

That's an unreasonable and completely different animal and you know it :). I'm not even going to respond to that.
    i think both are a good idea only if you can turn them off as option, some people will use them and some will not everyone to there own.

if it doesn't affect your game play why shoot it down for others?

Nameplates DOES affect gameplay. Not hugely but enough that playing without them is detrimental to your character.

Its one of those "options" that should never be added because once it is .....its non optional, as not using it is really only hurting yourself NOT helping yourself.

Lets look at WOW. They have LOTS of mods. Certain content is damn near if not completely impossible without the use of mods. Its pretty much NON OPTIONAL.

Lets look at current game if you want in a GOOD trial group....you better have a damage meter to know your DPS to make sure you meet the groups requirement.

Sure you can play without one but your not gonna find a good group. So not using the damage meter addon your hurting yourself.

So people have to understand certain options once added are forced upon you just because its an option.
    Options
  • granty2008cyb16_ESO
    Yes - Even if I don't like them, I can just turn them off anyway.
    Phantax wrote: »
    No for both, it's just not ES !

:(

why does it mater if it does not affect you ?

" Even if I don't like them, I can just turn them off anyway."

Meh!
    Options
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    such a long post for such an easy answer

anything thats optional in the game, cant bother either me or others

so bring it on

Quoted for truth.
    Well then I want godmode....just have my xp and loot turned off while its turned on cause that's the way I want to play.

Make this an option.

That's an unreasonable and completely different animal and you know it :). I'm not even going to respond to that.
    i think both are a good idea only if you can turn them off as option, some people will use them and some will not everyone to there own.

if it doesn't affect your game play why shoot it down for others?

Nameplates DOES affect gameplay. Not hugely but enough that playing without them is detrimental to your character.

Its one of those "options" that should never be added because once it is .....its non optional, as not using it is really only hurting yourself NOT helping yourself.

Lets look at WOW. They have LOTS of mods. Certain content is damn near if not completely impossible without the use of mods. Its pretty much NON OPTIONAL.

Lets look at current game if you want in a GOOD trial group....you better have a damage meter to know your DPS to make sure you meet the groups requirement.

Sure you can play without one but your not gonna find a good group. So not using the damage meter addon your hurting yourself.

So people have to understand certain options once added are forced upon you just because its an option.

That's people's rules, not the game's. Nothing's stopping you from making your group where you don't use damage meters... just don't complain if you don't end up doing as well, for example.
    -First-Wave Closed Beta Tester of the Psijic Order, aka the 0.016 percent.
    Exploits suck. Don't blame just the game, blame the players abusing them!

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.
    Definitely a good idea imo. Just have it default to "off, and obviously, a UI option for it on/off
    Token Drunk Aussie #1
    Options
  • Smiteye
    Smiteye
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely a good idea imo. Just have it default to "off, and obviously, a UI option for it on/off

So much this.
    Options
  • Two-Dogs
    Two-Dogs
    ✭✭✭
    No - They shouldn't be present at all.
    It's a shame that the UI design seems to moving away from the original design intent, as stated during early development.

So yes, personally I'd like to see my sub money invested in developing a clean UI that features strong signalling but I would guess that this won't be the case, if and when cheaper, easier options are presented.

Of course, it may simply be because the designers were simply unable to satisfy their intent of developing a UI based around clear in-game graphical and audio signalling. Especially with chat text, representing who is talking to whom must provide a real challenge as they can't simply build on a simulation of real life. It's a tough one - let's be honest, a chat box isn't great and chat bubbles have their own issues.

Regarding nameplates - while it can be argued that chat bubbles simulate through typology a real life phenomena, name plates do not. With all the variety of armour and dye options, we should be able to disguise ourselves if we wish. Those that know us will have no trouble identify us. If name plates go live, I know I will be relying on it to find and target known vampires and werewolves.
    Options
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Two-Dogs wrote: »
    It's a shame that the UI design seems to moving away from the original design intent, as stated during early development.

Regarding nameplates - while it can be argued that chat bubbles simulate through typology a real life phenomena, name plates do not. With all the variety of armour and dye options, we should be able to disguise ourselves if we wish. Those that know us will have no trouble identify us. If name plates go live, I know I will be relying on it to find and target known vampires and werewolves.

ESO had nameplates originally, as part of the design intent as well as scrolling combat text, minimap, and combat log tab. You can't say it wasn't part of the original design intent... they were in during beta even.

Nameplates are absolutely something that simulates real life phenomena, just as chat bubbles do. You can tell who's who by faces in real life but have no such ability in a videogame, instead you rely on nameplates to see who's who readily. Same thing with chat bubbles: in real life you hear where they're speaking from but in-game you can't tell where they are saying something from without chat bubbles.

Both serve crucial in-game communication and social functions.

Here's a screenshot from beta with nameplates and a minimap ;) showing they were indeed originally intended to be in the game. They are uglier than the fan mockup in the OP but they were absolutely a feature that was designed in from the start but never finished, similar to chat bubbles:

0MXwRmL.jpg
    Edited by Attorneyatlawl on September 14, 2014 11:56AM

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.
    JD2013
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other - Post an explanation?
    I'm really not a fan of either. Here's why

1) it clutters up the screen unnecessarily. One of the thing I like most about ESO is the UI. It's clean, non fuss, no silly numbers and whatnot flying around, and nameplates just clutter. I can see the use of chat bubbles for RP purposes.

2) These "must have" features probably weren't implemented as they were trying something different with an MMO. Not every MMO has to look the same. Nor should they. But with the implementation of these, I'm sure more things people consider MMO "standard" will come along. Then these players will move on to another MMO. And do exactly the same thing if it doesn't have what they deem MMO "standards." Making essentially every MMO the same.

Whatever happened to variety being the spice of life??

But if you can switch them off I guess that's fine, I'll certainly not be having them on.
    Edited by JD2013 on September 14, 2014 12:01PM
    Sweetrolls for all!

Christophe Mottierre - Breton Templar with his own whole darn estate! Templar Houses are so 2015. EU DC

PC Beta Tester January 2014

Elder of The Black
    Order of Sithis
    The Runners

@TamrielTraverse - For Tamriel related Twitter shenanigans!
    https://tamrieltraveller.wordpress.com/

Crafting bag OP! ZOS nerf pls!
    Options
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I said yes even though I will be turning them off because I detest chat bubbles
    and nameplates I see no reason for others who want them to not have them.

That being said, I can see the player names , health etc. now whenever I hover
    on them without having to see a group of them all the time with the addon I am using.

Maybe if it worked like the addon where you only see if you hover over character I might go for it.

But seeing a group of nametags and chat bubbles on the horizon I don't care for.
    Options
  • Swampster
    Swampster
    ✭✭✭
    One thing I would say, I'd personally rather the overhead 'health bar' be seperate from the nameplate.. and both of them toggleable.

For some bizzare reason I can tolerate writing over everybody's head, but not a solid coloured bar.. don't ask me why, I'm just weird I guess :)
    Swampriel - Nightblade (Archer Build) - Ebonheart Pact - Veteran
    Swampess - DragonKnight - Eboheart Pact - Lowbie Faceroller
    Options
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure hope nameplates cloak with the player. lol
    Options
  • Artemiisia
    Artemiisia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually think its sad how people can say no to this, if its optional knowing that it will make lots of other people happy and will have lots of fun with it.

I wont use it either, but knowing that lots will and having their happy times with it, why would I be so selfish to say no to it.
    Options
  • granty2008cyb16_ESO
    Two-Dogs wrote: »

ESO had nameplates originally, as part of the design intent as well as scrolling combat text, minimap, and combat log tab. You can't say it wasn't part of the original design intent... they were in during beta even.

Nameplates are absolutely something that simulates real life phenomena, just as chat bubbles do. You can tell who's who by faces in real life but have no such ability in a videogame, instead you rely on nameplates to see who's who readily. Same thing with chat bubbles: in real life you hear where they're speaking from but in-game you can't tell where they are saying something from without chat bubbles.

Both serve crucial in-game communication and social functions.

Here's a screenshot from beta with nameplates and a minimap ;) showing they were indeed originally intended to be in the game. They are uglier than the fan mockup in the OP but they were absolutely a feature that was designed in from the start but never finished, similar to chat bubbles:

0MXwRmL.jpg

wish they would bring that mini map back looks so much better than addons!

Meh!
    Options
  • Wolfshead
    Wolfshead
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wolfshead wrote: »
    I think it is nice that you finally can see other player name and guild name without have in your target sight to know there name

It's not a reality yet, unfortunately. Soon(tm) hopefully.

I know it is not a reality yet :) but i think it is about time the add player name and guild name so it show and not like it is now.

Beside that guild and player name in pvp is not a issues to be honest i have play mass pvp in WoW (Alterac Valley, Isle of Conquest, Wintergrasp, Tol Barad and World PvP) and in Age of Conan and guild and player name is not a problem at all so i don't think it will be a problem here other :)
    If you find yourself alone, riding in green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled; for you are in Elysium, and you're already dead
    What we do in life, echoes in eternity
    Options
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sure hope nameplates cloak with the player. lol

Yep, that's why I mentioned it should work like chevrons/healthbars do in pvp/Cyrodiil :). If you stealth they would vanish to enemies just like your alliance war faction indicator does overhead now.

Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is nice that you finally can see other player name and guild name without have in your target sight to know there name

It's not a reality yet, unfortunately. Soon(tm) hopefully.

I know it is not a reality yet :) but i think it is about time the add player name and guild name so it show and not like it is now.

Beside that guild and player name in pvp is not a issues to be honest i have play mass pvp in WoW (Alterac Valley, Isle of Conquest, Wintergrasp, Tol Barad and World PvP) and in Age of Conan and guild and player name is not a problem at all so i don't think it will be a problem here other :)

Definitely, I played Dark Age of Camelot which had rather large nameplates, and it was worth it still. Warhammer Online had more compact ones that were just as useful, it was a complete non-issue there and people who didn't like them (rare) turned them off.

AlienSlof
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The key word here is 'optional' - I'm a huge fan of having options that we can turn on or off as we choose. Only wish I could do so with hiding those hip plate things on armour!
    Bionic Crazy Cat Lady
    Options
  • KleanZlate
    KleanZlate
    ✭✭✭
    UI clutter on other people's screen doesn't really bother me. Can't see the harm in it.
    Options
  • daneyulebub17_ESO
    daneyulebub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course they should be added--many people want them, they would be optional, and if you're worried some groups will theoretically insist on them (most groups will be using VOICE anyway if they're a serious group doing serious things), get in another group. God, spare me from the people that want to restrict other people's OPTIONS for their own paranoid worries or because it offends THEIR immersion, as if they'll be looking over my shoulder when I play.
    Edited by daneyulebub17_ESO on September 14, 2014 1:05PM
    This message confirms that you have successfully cancelled your subscription to The Elder Scrolls Online. You will no longer be charged for a subscription on a recurring basis, and your access to the game will expire at the end of your current subscription cycle.

We're sad to see you go now, but we'll be happy to welcome you back at any time! Whenever you're ready to come back, your characters will be waiting for you, just like you left them. You can return anytime by resubscribing on the Manage Subscription page on your Elder Scrolls Online account.

Please print this email and keep it for your records.
    Options
  • Two-Dogs
    Two-Dogs
    ✭✭✭

ESO had nameplates originally, as part of the design intent as well as scrolling combat text, minimap, and combat log tab. You can't say

At one time - while they tested the limits of the API changes - there was all of that. However, this was reverted as the designers stated they wished to pursue a UI that solved traditional UI challenges through developing strong on graphical and audio signalling.

If you remember, at the time, those that were testing the API limits provided the designers with information. When the designers locked down the API, losing much of the UI functionality that many had become accustomed to, a section of the player base were upset.

Still, the designers stuck to their guns and stated they wanted players to actively engage with the world rather than reading the UI, hence their efforts to develop signalling that required the player to 'read' the game world, through graphical effects and sound.

Of course, such an intent is easier stated than executed - perhaps the inclusion of speech bubbles indicates they simply couldn't develop an alternative, which I can understand and appreciate.

You can tell who's who by faces in real life but have no such ability in a videogame, instead you rely on nameplates to see who's who readily.

While I appreciate the desired intent of Nameplates - clearer communication of character identity - I would rather the designers invested our money in developing clearer signalling per character that in turn generates individuality amongst characters.

For example, a selection of idle animations to choose from that are automatically played (rather than the /idle1-5 we have to use at the moment.) Likewise, additional customisation of armour/dress styles, hair styles, postures and so forth.

Of course, if name plates are introduced I'll adapt - still, I would prefer a solution that requires the developers to work a little more so that we, as customers and gamers, can enjoy a little richer rewards.

However, there is still the problem of targeting known vampire/werewolf players based on their nameplates thought we could solve this by having name plates only display friendlies/party members.

If this is the case then I have no qualms with it.

Options
  • Abagaile
    Abagaile
    ✭✭
    Nameplates would be wonderful.
    That and an adjustable camera view for third person.
    Options
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Abagaile wrote: »
    Nameplates would be wonderful.
    That and an adjustable camera view for third person.

That's another big issue that I'd like to see options for, heh :).

Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No - Neither chat bubbles or nameplates should be options allowed at all.
    I actually think its sad how people can say no to this, if its optional knowing that it will make lots of other people happy and will have lots of fun with it.

I wont use it either, but knowing that lots will and having their happy times with it, why would I be so selfish to say no to it.

Some players who don't want to use it fear that it will become non-optional as some groups will demand its use, or they may be "gimped" if they don't use it.

Some don't want developers' time spent on this when they feel there are more pressing issues that need addressing.

Some feel that it's the start of a slippery slope towards turning a distinctive MMO into a clone of all the other standard MMOs, and they want none of it.

Those are just a few reasons off the top of my head as to why people may be opposed to a change like this, even if it is stated to be optional. It's not selfish to hold such views.
    Options
  • Cladius30
    Cladius30
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    chat bubbles are needed, but name plates as long as its al optional. I find a lot of players name there characters stupid names in mmo's so I don't want to see mr.peepeepants on the screen over a character.
    Options
  • AlienSlof
    AlienSlof
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why anyone would say 'no' to something that is purely optional. Options mean more happy players.
    Bionic Crazy Cat Lady
    Options
  • Tavore1138
    Tavore1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Sorry to be negative but saying that anything that will allow a subset of people to have fun should be allowed by default is a crazy way to approach life especially if it runs the risk of having a negative impact on the experience of others.

Why must we continually bow to those who want ESO to be just like all the other MMOs? You know, the ones the don't play anymore...
    GM - Malazan
    Raid Leader - Hungry Wolves
    Legio Mortuum
    Options
  • Drjones501
    I am of the same school of thinking that the name plates turn a much more realistic looking mmo into a wowish cartoon. And they would just be plain ignorant to use in pvp. This is the first mmo I know of to not have them and make hiding a valid part of pvp. Sometimes I wonder if the core TES fans are gone and an influx of [snip] mmo players have taken over with thier ideas. It's the complete opposite of the type of mmo the devs were creating from the start, one major feature being the minimalist UI. [...]

[Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Flaming]
    Edited by ZOS_JanS on September 14, 2014 5:22PM
    Hasek
    V13 Templar healer
    Mawlbrung
    46 Night Blade Vampy
    Assassin Brotherhood, DC NA server
    Options
  • Arsenic_Touch
    Arsenic_Touch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ITT: We learn that chat bubbles and name plates are for wow only and that no other mmo has ever had them. Now you know and knowing is half the battle and the more you know! GI JOE!
    Edited by Arsenic_Touch on September 14, 2014 2:52PM
    Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

╔═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗
    "Hope can drown lost in thunderous sound."
    "Fear can claim what little faith remains."
    "Death will take those who fight alone."
    "But united we can break a fate once set in stone."

╚═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╝

NA // Ebonheart Pact // Leader of CORE Legion // Namira Beta Tester // VR11 NB
    Options
  • SoulScream
    SoulScream
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will turn both off and would rather see the work done on them go into fixing bugs.
    Options
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Drjones501 wrote: »
    I am of the same school of thinking that the name plates turn a much more realistic looking mmo into a wowish cartoon. This is the first mmo I know of to not have them and make hiding a valid part of pvp.

Then leave them turned off.... and nameplates would of course hide with you when you sneaked :) as mentioned in the OP, just as overhead health bars, alliance chevron indicators, etc. all do now.