The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Do you agree that optional nameplates, in a similar vein to chat bubbles, would be good for the game

Attorneyatlawl
Attorneyatlawl
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
So we have chat bubbles coming in:

(image taken from reddit)
ama5Pzj.jpg

I have an honest question here. A lot of the opposition to nameplates were that they would "add too much UI clutter". If we have chat bubbles as optional components, why should we not have nameplates optionally as well?

The benefits of chat bubbles, for example are numerous, assuming they are optional and not forced (which many people do NOT like them and thus they need to be optional):

-For rp'ers they can chat without having to look down at the chatbox as often. (Without nameplates though, they can't tell who is actually talking.)
-For pve, you can quickly see someone calling out in /say while roaming around and notice other players more easily.
-For pvp, you can see /yell's immediately and keep your eyes on the action.

Nameplates, optionally, would provide numerous benefits as well as ones that tie into chat bubbles:
-For rp'ers, you could tell who is chatting via bubbles.
-For pve, you can see where each person is readily without having to guess or try to quickly hover over around the action to tell who's who. You can easily call out to go to "Some guy" and people can quickly tell where to go rather than ask in voice as a response "where is he??".
-For PVP, it makes organization much more convenient and lets directions be called out such as "you two split off with Awesomeguy" and they would be able to see where Awesomeguy is easily as he moved off to the left and follow.
-Nameplates also provide name recognition while out in the world in ANY game activity be it questing, pve, pvp, raiding, or around town, and add to the online living world feel of the game since you will recognize people much in the same way you do in real life and it improves socialization and helps make connections. Think about how many times you've heard someone say, in response in a thread about quitting another game, "Well, I have a lot of friends that I talk with there". Other than your friends list or guildmates (and even them, because you don't see their character names in chat), how many people can you honestly say you recognize in ESO when walking around and running into them in the world?

EDIT: Just to note as well, they have stated intent in the past that they would like to add them but were having issues alongside bubbles making them attractive in-world: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0UUsPRdY5k&list=UUQb-Zp6GQPCnH6W3Emp00vQ#t=6146 . Given that I also would like to ask what the current progress is in regards to those since a feature very much related (chat bubbles) is now coming in.

I also wanted to include this screenshot link of what the beta ones had looked like, as well, as I actually do agree the old implementation wasn't exactly attractive: http://i.imgur.com/0MXwRmL.jpg . Has there been any work on this front underway?

In short, the poll question: Would you support the addition of optional nameplates for the reasons stated above, to go in with chat bubbles? Obviously they could and should be able to be toggled off full-time for those who don't want or like them. Obviously they would function like chevrons do in the alliance war (faction markers) and fade with distance and hide when an enemy is sneaking.

Here's a mock-up by a fan on reddit as to how clean they could look, providing titles with meaning, guild recognition and pride, and everything else talked about earlier:

ZGn7NID.jpg

Thanks to Lfehova on reddit for the mockup, and here is his original post awhile back including that picture: "ZeniMax, here's a quick mockup demonstrating how (optional) nameplates would promote guild/player awareness"
http://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/273wou/zenimax_heres_a_quick_mockup_demonstrating_how/

Thanks for reading, everyone.
-First-Wave Closed Beta Tester of the Psijic Order, aka the 0.016 percent.
Exploits suck. Don't blame just the game, blame the players abusing them!

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.

Do you agree that optional nameplates, in a similar vein to chat bubbles, would be good for the game 463 votes

Yes - Even if I don't like them, I can just turn them off anyway.
71%
ErlexMaximis_ESOYsne58GrunimVuronAttorneyatlawlMaddjujuGloryBwaite43idahogeeketteDaenerysKessiraPolskiBunny_ESOSmiteyeMoonclawfirekittenlanceproGallegorophez_ESOMorHawk 330 votes
No - They shouldn't be present at all.
12%
ImryllSilver_QueenAuldjohnvetterkb_ESOAltDeLeeteventide7SteveCampsOutAratoLionheartRichardlolo_01b16_ESOStarwhiteFlinkeKlingedavidjournotb16_ESOOolougurgnirnenekotanb16_ESOkwisatzerigru95b16_ESOSoupDragonmutharex 60 votes
No - Neither chat bubbles or nameplates should be options allowed at all.
11%
Tintinabulaseancaputo_ESOVileIntentTitusFgradius_ESOItsMeTook9mouseThymosArtisLawfulEvilcurlyqloub14_ESOhaploeb14_ESOMercyKillingLonePirateOrangeTheCatAlurriaAschanGythralozmorgudduthPhantax 55 votes
Other - Post an explanation?
3%
ZOS_EdLynchUdyrfryktedriosketchElloaPheefsSoulshineJD2013tordr86b16_ESOBleakravenAzarath_tiberiusSoulScreamTavore1138AlexDoughertyProbitasWyndStrykeElsonsoZorgon_The_RevengedGnatB 18 votes
  • david271749
    david271749
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as I can turn them off...
    Options
  • Smiteye
    Smiteye
    ✭✭✭
    As long as I can turn them off...

Ya, I would like them but they should be optional like anything else.
    Options
  • tordr86b16_ESO
    tordr86b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Biased poll.
    Options
  • KenjiJU
    KenjiJU
    ✭✭✭
    I always hated the < Guild Name > portion of nametags. It's so retro and lazy looking. Surely they can make them look nicer these days?
    Edited by KenjiJU on September 14, 2014 8:32AM
    Options
  • Smiteye
    Smiteye
    ✭✭✭
    Biased poll.

Biased how... he provided yes, no, and other options to provide your own comment.
    Options
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    KenjiJU wrote: »
    I always hated the < Guild Name > portion of nametags. It's so retro and lazy looking. Surely they can make them look nicer these days?

I think it's an easy/quick visual way of denoting them, but they could surely provide an option as well to toggle off titles or guild tags within the nameplates too :). An alternative way of denoting a guild could simply be to put say a small divider between the name and the guildname, for example:

Please Don't Nerf Me
    Master Explorer
    (small thin line)
    Mostly Harmless Guild

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.
    tordr86b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smiteye wrote: »
    Biased poll.

Biased how... he provided yes, no, and other options to provide your own comment.

never mind, too much grinding, and little coffee left. :)
    Options
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Biased poll.

LOL I know I've done that kind of thing before too :p.

Arsenic_Touch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's simply amazing that they still haven't added these basic functions to the game after this long.
    Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

╔═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗
    "Hope can drown lost in thunderous sound."
    "Fear can claim what little faith remains."
    "Death will take those who fight alone."
    "But united we can break a fate once set in stone."

╚═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╝

NA // Ebonheart Pact // Leader of CORE Legion // Namira Beta Tester // VR11 NB
    Options
  • tordr86b16_ESO
    tordr86b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Biased poll.

Yeah, I should take a nap. ;) Been killing mobs for hours but it was rewarding for sure. 25 hours /played, current level? 47 ;)
    Options
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Biased poll.

Yeah, I should take a nap. ;) Been killing mobs for hours but it was rewarding for sure. 25 hours /played, current level? 47 ;)

Nice, that's a solid clip :D!

Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WELL one thing about nameplates.

In PVP its NON-OPTIONAL. IF they are available your gimping yourself by not using them as a good team using a VOS will NEED the nameplates for better coordination.

Even without a VOS you can use names in chat of who to target and not to target.
    Options
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Shaun98ca2 wrote: »

In PVP its NON-OPTIONAL. IF they are available your gimping yourself by not using them as a good team using a VOS will NEED the nameplates for better coordination.

Even without a VOS you can use names in chat of who to target and not to target.

You could make the same argument in pve too, technically. Realistically they would still remain optional and you could simply choose not to play with them enabled, just as you can play without addons right now that tell you other info. Asking you to hop on voice already is an option that you could say provides an advantage in the same vein that you choose to do or not.
    Edited by Attorneyatlawl on September 14, 2014 9:07AM

Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You could make the same argument in pve too, technically. Realistically they would still remain optional and you could simply choose not to play with them enabled, just as you can play without addons right now that tell you other info. Asking you to hop on voice already is an option that you could say provides an advantage in the same vein that you choose to do or not.

Gimping yourself for the sake of options is just terrible. Like lets the have Godmode available don't worry you can turn it off. Obviously an over-exaggeration but still certain options being added just make it non-optional cause your now hurting / gimping yourself due to opting out.
    Options
  • Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

ama5Pzj.jpg

I have an honest question here. A lot of the opposition to nameplates were that they would "add too much UI clutter". If we have chat bubbles as optional components, why should we not have nameplates optionally as well?

The benefits of chat bubbles, for example are numerous, assuming they are optional and not forced (which many people do NOT like them and thus they need to be optional):

-For rp'ers they can chat without having to look down at the chatbox as often. (Without nameplates though, they can't tell who is actually talking.)
    -For pve, you can quickly see someone calling out in /say while roaming around and notice other players more easily.

Nameplates, optionally, would provide numerous benefits as well as ones that tie into chat bubbles:
    -For pve, you can see where each person is readily without having to guess or try to quickly hover over around the action to tell who's who. You can easily call out to go to "Some guy" and people can quickly tell where to go rather than ask in voice as a response "where is he??".
    -For PVP, it makes organization much more convenient and lets directions be called out such as "you two split off with Awesomeguy" and they would be able to see where Awesomeguy is easily as he moved off to the left and follow.
    -Nameplates also provide name recognition while out in the world in ANY game activity be it questing, pve, pvp, raiding, or around town, and add to the online living world feel of the game since you will recognize people much in the same way you do in real life and it improves socialization and helps make connections. Think about how many times you've heard someone say, in response in a thread about quitting another game, "Well, I have a lot of friends that I talk with there". Other than your friends list or guildmates (and even them, because you don't see their character names in chat), how many people can you honestly say you recognize in ESO when walking around and running into them in the world?

In short, the poll question: Would you support the addition of optional nameplates for the reasons stated above, to go in with chat bubbles? Obviously they could and should be able to be toggled off full-time for those who don't want or like them. Obviously they would function like chevrons do in the alliance war (faction markers) and fade with distance and hide when an enemy is sneaking.

Here's a mock-up by a fan on reddit as to how clean they could look, providing titles with meaning, guild recognition and pride, and everything else talked about earlier:

ZGn7NID.jpg

Thanks to Lfehova on reddit for the mockup, and here is his original post awhile back including that picture: "ZeniMax, here's a quick mockup demonstrating how (optional) nameplates would promote guild/player awareness"
    http://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/273wou/zenimax_heres_a_quick_mockup_demonstrating_how/

I must admit the pic with those nameplates looks horrible to me. Not because of the quality or anything but because of the stuff that just doesn't belong in a living and realistic MMO world.

I don't even use health bars as I find them horrible and disturbing ;)

The issue with Chat bubbles and nameplates is that they wont be optional but mandatory same like with Addons. People will demand that you use them just like they demand that you use TS, DPS meter or any other stuff that kills MMO atmosphere.
    Options
  • Shaun98ca2
    Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Audigy wrote: »

ama5Pzj.jpg

ZGn7NID.jpg

I must admit the pic with those nameplates looks horrible to me. Not because of the quality or anything but because of the stuff that just doesn't belong in a living and realistic MMO world.

The issue with Chat bubbles and nameplates is that they wont be optional but mandatory same like with Addons. People will demand that you use them just like they demand that you use TS, DPS meter or any other stuff that kills MMO atmosphere.

VERY much agreed. Certain things when added to MMOs don't really become an option anymore as your simply gimping yourself for not using.

Chat bubbles are meh you don't really need chat bubbles its just nice to see whos talking to you.

Nameplates now that's a different story. Now your talking better strategic setups better and faster. We have nameplates their just a PITA to use.
    Edited by Shaun98ca2 on September 14, 2014 9:38AM
    Options
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I really don't care about them, I wouldn't use them myself, and I don't care if others do or don't. (not against them, just indifferent)
    Edited by AlexDougherty on September 14, 2014 12:22PM
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
    Options
  • Tavore1138
    Tavore1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As long as they are optional BOTH to see them and to have them seen by others.

The other danger is that people will demand you use them in order to participate as shown by a discussion on another thread here.

Also depends what nameplates show, if it is just a banner showing character name, level & selected title then fine... if i starts to give account name or other information then not so cool.
    GM - Malazan
    Raid Leader - Hungry Wolves
    Legio Mortuum
    Options
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Audigy wrote: »

That's a matter of opinion as to them improving or degrading the experience, which is why the option being available for people who do find them useful is a good thing(tm) overall.

Regarding "forced to use them", as you said people ask you do X Y or Z already and always will. You cannot make a game that people will behave in one specific way in, if they want to make their group the way they want it they are going to, just as you want to have it a different way. Nothing's stopping anyone from making their own "no TS, no damage meter" group for a trial any more than it is stopping people from making their own groups asking people to have a minimum prerequisite or use voice.

Even if you literally took everything but enemy health bars out of the game, people could still easily see if you're goofing up or if the boss isn't dying, ask you to sit out for someone else, and then figure out it was you and exclude you because they are then able to kill the boss easily enough.

So in all honesty, saying that "people will ask you to use them" has no real basis in reality... they will ask you to play in their groups how their group wants to play. You are free, thankfully, just as they are, to make a group the way you want to as well. Everyone wins with options :).

Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    VERY much agreed. Certain things when added to MMOs don't really become an option anymore as your simply gimping yourself for not using.

Chat bubbles are meh you don't really need chat bubbles its just nice to see whos talking to you.

Nameplates now that's a different story. Now your talking better strategic setups better and faster. We have nameplates their just a PITA to use.

People in groups without voice will ask you to use chat bubbles so you can see them calling things out in pvp or dungeon runs. What's the argument there then for allowing chat bubbles? Some things are good for the game overall and you can't moderate player behavior (outside of cheating/other TOS violations), nor should you try to. You would remain free as everyone else is to make groups that you want to.

And we do not have nameplates, we have a name under health bars once you've targeted someone. Nameplates are not even able to be created with addons, let alone a game option, at this time.

Smiteye
    ✭✭✭
    As long as they are optional BOTH to see them and to have them seen by others.

The other danger is that people will demand you use them in order to participate as shown by a discussion on another thread here.

Also depends what nameplates show, if it is just a banner showing character name, level & selected title then fine... if i starts to give account name or other information then not so cool.

People can already get your account name just by seeing you. All they have to do is send a message if you haven't said anything, or if you have, rightclick name, and proceed to ignore, then unignore you, in chat. The game then tells them your name ;). Guild chats also already show your account name directly in chat and the roster, in addition to character name when hovered over.
    Options
  • Shaun98ca2
    Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭

People in groups without voice will ask you to use chat bubbles so you can see them calling things out in pvp or dungeon runs. What's the argument there then for allowing chat bubbles? Some things are good for the game overall and you can't moderate player behavior (outside of cheating/other TOS violations), nor should you try to. You would remain free as everyone else is to make groups that you want to.

And we do not have nameplates, we have a name under health bars once you've targeted someone. Nameplates are not even able to be created with addons, let alone a game option, at this time.

Ok I guess the point overall is people are saying they don't want this added because regardless of you people saying its an option you can turn on and off........the response is certain things become NON OPTIONAL.

So saying lets add crap to a game that people don't want in the game and lets simply make it an option. People say NO because once its in it forever ruins the game option or not its in.
    Options
  • Wolfshead
    Wolfshead
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think it is nice that you finally can see other player name and guild name without have in your target sight to know there name
    If you find yourself alone, riding in green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled; for you are in Elysium, and you're already dead
    What we do in life, echoes in eternity
    Options
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Ok I guess the point overall is people are saying they don't want this added because regardless of you people saying its an option you can turn on and off........the response is certain things become NON OPTIONAL.

So saying lets add crap to a game that people don't want in the game and lets simply make it an option. People say NO because once its in it forever ruins the game option or not its in.

And at a certain point you have to understand that others want to play how they want to too, not just you.
    Edited by Attorneyatlawl on September 14, 2014 10:17AM

Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Wolfshead wrote: »
    I think it is nice that you finally can see other player name and guild name without have in your target sight to know there name

It's not a reality yet, unfortunately. Soon(tm) hopefully.

Artemiisia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    such a long post for such an easy answer

anything thats optional in the game, cant bother either me or others

so bring it on
    Options
  • Shaun98ca2
    Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And at a certain point you have to understand that others want to play how they want to too, not just you.

Well then I want godmode....just have my xp and loot turned off while its turned on cause that's the way I want to play.

Make this an option.
    Options
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Artemiisia wrote: »
    such a long post for such an easy answer

anything thats optional in the game, cant bother either me or others

so bring it on

Quoted for truth.
    Well then I want godmode....just have my xp and loot turned off while its turned on cause that's the way I want to play.

Make this an option.

That's an unreasonable and completely different animal and you know it :). I'm not even going to respond to that.

i think both are a good idea only if you can turn them off as option, some people will use them and some will not everyone to there own.

if it doesn't affect your game play why shoot it down for others?
    Meh!
    Options
  • Phantax
    Phantax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No for both, it's just not ES !

:(
    High Elf Sorcerer VR12 - Destro / Resto Staff
    I'm a werewolf. If you vamps don't like it.... Bite me !
    We're not retreating... we're advancing in a different direction !
    Options