The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Do you agree that optional nameplates, in a similar vein to chat bubbles, would be good for the game

• Arsenic_Touch
    Arsenic_Touch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes - Even if I don't like them, I can just turn them off anyway.

Very cool, thanks for the update! I'll keep my eyes open for news later on then ;).

skeleton.jpg

Bring a magazine, you'll be there a while.
    Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

╔═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗
    "Hope can drown lost in thunderous sound."
    "Fear can claim what little faith remains."
    "Death will take those who fight alone."
    "But united we can break a fate once set in stone."

╚═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╝

NA // Ebonheart Pact // Leader of CORE Legion // Namira Beta Tester // VR11 NB
    Options
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Very cool, thanks for the update! I'll keep my eyes open for news later on then ;).

skeleton.jpg

Heh. Well, they confirmed chat bubbles a long time ago and they're only just now hitting, so I imagine it will be awhile... but I'm glad to have heard any word on them.
    -First-Wave Closed Beta Tester of the Psijic Order, aka the 0.016 percent.
    Exploits suck. Don't blame just the game, blame the players abusing them!

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭

skeleton.jpg

Pretty much.

Maybe we will see this with housing , 4 years from now.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
    Options
  • Smiteye
    Smiteye
    ✭✭✭
    Ya, these should be a priority. Not a backlog item
    Options
  • Smiteye
    Smiteye
    ✭✭✭

skeleton.jpg

Pretty much.

Maybe we will see this with housing , 4 years from now.

Better be sooner :(
    Options
  • Elvent
    Elvent
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't even know why anybody would vote NO...it's an MMO, not another single player game, the way I see it is either optional or yes for an MMO. I'm leaning more towards optional because I didn't know there would be people that hated MMO features.
    Options
  • Moonclaw
    Moonclaw
    ✭✭✭
    Main thing for me is that I have no way of easily seeing which guilds are active. I know we can look at tabards now and try to recognize which patterns we see - but it just seems terribly forced and would be nice to have a text option
    Options
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Moonclaw wrote: »
    Main thing for me is that I have no way of easily seeing which guilds are active. I know we can look at tabards now and try to recognize which patterns we see - but it just seems terribly forced and would be nice to have a text option

Yeah, I kind of touched on that in mentioning guild pride but that is a definite social and gameplay issue that they would alleviate too. Definitely a good point.

I reread @zos_jessicafolsom 's post and it sounds ambiguous as to if they are being worked on/coming at some point vs just a possibility. Is this something in the works along the lines of how chat bubbles were, ie they are coming but a few out, or is it something being debated still? Thanks if you are able to give any further clarification. I understand it's patch day so there are probably probably a lot of topics flying around, :).
    Edited by Attorneyatlawl on September 15, 2014 9:36PM

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.
    Tavore1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other - Post an explanation?
    magnusnet wrote: »
    Granted we are straying a little far from the OP but I would suggest that wanting to have fun and not treat a game as 'work' doesn't prevent you from being good and able to run in a decent group, although granted it probably it will stop you from being emperor or doing an 8 minute trial.

But you are right the attitude is there already as you have just demonstrated all too clearly so as long as they are totally optional who cares?

I guess I am just lucky enough to be running with guilds who do the advanced content without being too uptight about being perfect or the very very best.

And it's a good thing there are guilds like this which is why I think the "multiple guilds" idea is awesome since it allows people with similar mindsets to regroup & create communities that suit their playstile :).

You also probably are part of the players that where traumatized in WOW, the reason you think there aren't as many Elitist **** in ESO may also be because of the fact a lot of them are nice people that are not 16 years old (and thus don't think they're the last pepsicola in the desert) that of course prefer to do raids with only OP people to do speedruns and blablabla, but also don't mind joining pug groups & teaching the ropes the rest of the time while having fun!

Original EQ was enough to make me hate the people who play MMOs.

Never did WoW.

As I say elitists & griefers, the rest of us are fine.

Those who think you need a specific build to succeed are playing easy mode, decent players find ways to do hard content without following the generic build.

Again max/min needs different choices buy denying play time to decent players for not rocking the official build is a little sad.
    GM - Malazan
    Raid Leader - Hungry Wolves
    Legio Mortuum
    Options
  • WraithAzraiel
    WraithAzraiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO. End of discussion.

The whole page of posts after your comment proves you wrong. There is no end in sight! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH *maniacal laughter trails off*
    Shendell De'Gull - V14 Vampire Nightblade

Captain of the Black Howling

"There's no such thing as overkill..."

"No problem on the face of the Earth exists what can't be fixed with the proper application of enough duct tape and 550 cord."

P2PBetaTesters
    #Tamriel_BETA_Team
    #BETA_TESTER4LYF
    DominionMasterRace
    #GOAHEADTHEYGOTCANDY
    #SEEMSLEGIT
    Options
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    NO. End of discussion.

The whole page of posts after your comment proves you wrong. There is no end in sight! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH *maniacal laughter trails off*

/homer-simpson-drool @ the idea of ESO w/ nameplate options. :)

shiva7663
    ✭✭✭
    This:
    multiplayer.jpg
    Options
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    shiva7663 wrote: »

Heh. Yep, can't control player behavior...
    Edited by Attorneyatlawl on September 15, 2014 11:11PM

Pheefs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    apples & oranges...

chat bubbles will post when a person... Chats!
    but even as a toggle on or off option persistent Nameplates would drastically change the dynamic in PvP
    { Forums are Weird........................ Nerfy nerfing nerf nerfers, buff you b'netches!....................... Popcorn popcorn! }
    Options
  • Arato
    Arato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No - They shouldn't be present at all.
    There is no "optional" with nameplates. They become too big of a PVP advantage, forcing everyone to enable them. To disable them would be to handicap yourself.

No nameplates.
    Options
  • Vizier
    Vizier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't care so long as I can turn them off or an addon will be allowed to perform the same function.

Nothing ruins immersion like a bunch of people running around with signs over their heads...well I can probably think of some other nuisances but you get the drift.

Options are good. UI tyranny is bad.
    Options
  • Sirlex
    Sirlex
    ✭✭✭
    I've been saying this for a year or so now. Spoiler - nameplates were in the game a year ago too...just hidden/turned off. No idea why.
    Options
  • Arato
    Arato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sirlex wrote: »
    I've been saying this for a year or so now. Spoiler - nameplates were in the game a year ago too...just hidden/turned off. No idea why.

Because they ruined the Elder Scrolls feel of the game.
    Options
  • GnatB
    GnatB
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sasky wrote: »
    Those diametrically opposed to it, please suggest a minimalist UI approach that gives that info well in a quick-paced situation like PvE dungeons, trials, etc or PvP combat. There are numerous comments stating that the intent is you should get the information from the UI itself, but with this much of a reaction there obvious shortcomings -- whether for identifying someone in a group or for quickly locating a group member.

I don't see how nameplates offer more advantage to either of those scenarios than the already available health bars/group carets.

Achievements Suck
    Options
  • Arato
    Arato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GnatB wrote: »
    Sasky wrote: »
    Those diametrically opposed to it, please suggest a minimalist UI approach that gives that info well in a quick-paced situation like PvE dungeons, trials, etc or PvP combat. There are numerous comments stating that the intent is you should get the information from the UI itself, but with this much of a reaction there obvious shortcomings -- whether for identifying someone in a group or for quickly locating a group member.

I don't see how nameplates offer more advantage to either of those scenarios than the already available health bars/group carets.

A healthbar or carat is a standard size for every person, a nameplate depends on how long a person's name is.

If you have a long Cyrodiilic Argonian name, people who have nameplates enabled will see you around corners or behind trees, while you, having nameplates off, won't see them until they're right on top of you.

That makes #1 nameplates aren't an option and #2, it behooves you to have a short 1 word name.
    Options
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Arato wrote: »
    There is no "optional" with nameplates. They become too big of a PVP advantage, forcing everyone to enable them. To disable them would be to handicap yourself.

No nameplates.
    Pheefs wrote: »
    apples & oranges...

but even as a toggle on or off option persistent Nameplates would drastically change the dynamic in PvP

How are they any different than current overhead chevrons or overhead healthbars in that regard? They have numerous benefits as outlined in the OP. At some point you have to balance out the good of the game and basic UI functionality with the gameplay :), rather than just being "different" and stripping features out for the sake of claiming they alter the feel.
    Edited by Attorneyatlawl on September 15, 2014 11:58PM

Swampster
    ✭✭✭
    The "arrgh, my namez plate stickz out too far, theyz gonna shootz me round cornerz in PVPZ!111!11!!!1" worry is easily fixed.

Name plates can only be viewed by your own faction in PVP if they're turned on at all..

Swampriel - Nightblade (Archer Build) - Ebonheart Pact - Veteran
    Swampess - DragonKnight - Eboheart Pact - Lowbie Faceroller
    Options
  • Calluna
    Calluna
    ✭✭✭
    Just disable nameplates in pvp. I can totally see why cowards would like to hide their name and guild so let them. As for the rest of us who don't obsess about pvp let us have them as a toggle.
    Edited by Calluna on September 16, 2014 12:19AM
    Options
  • ozmorgudduth
    ozmorgudduth
    ✭✭✭
    No - Neither chat bubbles or nameplates should be options allowed at all.
    No

Waste of development time at the moment when skills don't activate in Cyrodiil on 30 day campaign EU in prime time hours.

Yes

2 years into the development time, you can even make characters take their pants off, idk, I want simple and important things fixed first.

Options
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Pheefs wrote: »
    apples & oranges...

Swampster wrote: »
    The "arrgh, my namez plate stickz out too far, theyz gonna shootz me round cornerz in PVPZ!111!11!!!1" worry is easily fixed.

Name plates can only be viewed by your own faction in PVP if they're turned on at all..

No need: simply make them compact enough that they are no different than alliance chevrons and overhead health bars in width ;) so they can remain on for everyone and have no net effect on visibility :) while still giving all the benefits of existing for people who want to enable them. There's no reason they have to be so big they stick out around obstacles.

Like this:

ZGn7NID.jpg

No different than health bars in terms of visibility impact.
    Edited by Attorneyatlawl on September 16, 2014 12:46AM

Smiteye
    ✭✭✭
    Right on they dont need to be bulky!
    Options
  • likelolwhat
    likelolwhat
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't PvP (ikr, I'm so weird) so I personally can't comment on the "its bad for PvP!!!!!one" debate, but from the arguments going back and forth it would be fairly easy to nip any potential issues in the bud. Wrap for long names? Check. Only able to be seen by group members/friends/alliance allies? Check. Want to run around pretending you're not sitting on your ass in your house staring at a screen (aka "immersion")? Check.

I really think people against this just based off the word "nameplates" are just silly. If you can't read the OP explaining the proposition and what it entails... don't embarrass yourself. Viola! Optional.

Me, I probably won't be using them most of the time, but that's the point. I would like to have the option.

Either integrate them or make it possible for addons to do it themselves. I'd like to see what the community can come up with, actually...
    Forever looking for that one avatar that no one else has...

The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - the definitive source for Elder Scrolls info. Proud founding member of the official PC UESP guild, NA server.
    Options
  • bedlom
    bedlom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally would hate em. But as long as there is the option to turn things like that off then I say why not.
    Options
  • MercyKilling
    MercyKilling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDGlN6mluGA
    I am not spending a single penny on the game until changes are made to the game that I want to see.
    1) Remove having to be in a guild to sell items to other players at a kiosk.
    2) Cosmetic modding for armor and clothing.
    3) Difficulty slider.
    4) Fully customizable player housing that isn't tied to anything in the game other than having the correct resources and enough gold to build. Don't tie it to PvP, guild membership, or anything at all. Oh, make it instanced so as not to take up world map space, too. Zeni screwed this one up already.
    Any /one/ of these things implemented would get me spending again, maybe even subbing.
    Options
  • Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Elvent wrote: »
    I don't even know why anybody would vote NO...it's an MMO, not another single player game, the way I see it is either optional or yes for an MMO. I'm leaning more towards optional because I didn't know there would be people that hated MMO features.

Since when is this an MMO Feature?

No offence but please do some research ;)

Traditional MMOs let you hover over a player to find out its name, that spam with the plates is entirely WOW related based on tidy plates.

I honestly doubt that any serious MMO RPG fan would like that spam on his screen. It totally breaks immersion or do people on the street wear shields with their name, address and state of family?
    Options