The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

ZOS banning cheaters - Question on the FoV addon/mod

• Carde
    Carde
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You gotta mark people like this @ZOS_GinaBruno to get them to see it.

(Sorry Gina, payback for the crossbow <3)
    Edited by Carde on April 17, 2014 11:01AM
    Member of the Psijic Order PTS Group
  • Daggers
    Daggers
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that you having motion sickness gives your opponent an unfair advantage.

Just making sure all bases are covered!

;)
    The best things in life make you sweaty.
    -Poe
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Daggers wrote: »
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that you having motion sickness gives your opponent an unfair advantage.
    ;)
    How about the fact that skilled players have a complete advantage over unskilled players :open_mouth:
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    LadyChaos wrote: »
    djodars wrote: »
    In my opinion, any software that enhances or gives you an advantage in-game that isn't permitted by the API should be considered cheating.

There's tons of things that gives players advantage that are completely legal by EULA terms. Fair and Legal are not the same thing.

IMO if it plays the game for you = cheat
    If it enhances/sorts/organizes the information already given to you by the game = legit

Good points, but I disagree slightly (only slightly though), while an enhancement should never play the game for you, if it causes to much of a disparity between those who use them and those who don't, then it is effectively a cheat.

This puts most enhancements and add-ons into a grey area, which is fine with me, since I believe it should be decided seperately for each enhancement/add-on rather than creating blanket rules for them. Admittedly this can cause delays were people are unsure if something is allowable/illegal, so Zenimax should give them the benefit of the doubt if they decide against it. Of course once they make up their minds they should tell everyone both on the forums and by email, since they are taking so long.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Charg
    Charg
    ✭✭✭
    LadyChaos wrote: »
    djodars wrote: »
    In my opinion, any software that enhances or gives you an advantage in-game that isn't permitted by the API should be considered cheating.

There's tons of things that gives players advantage that are completely legal by EULA terms. Fair and Legal are not the same thing.

IMO if it plays the game for you = cheat
    If it enhances/sorts/organizes the information already given to you by the game = legit

Good points, but I disagree slightly (only slightly though), while an enhancement should never play the game for you, if it causes to much of a disparity between those who use them and those who don't, then it is effectively a cheat.

This puts most enhancements and add-ons into a grey area, which is fine with me, since I believe it should be decided seperately for each enhancement/add-on rather than creating blanket rules for them. Admittedly this can cause delays were people are unsure if something is allowable/illegal, so Zenimax should give them the benefit of the doubt if they decide against it. Of course once they make up their minds they should tell everyone both on the forums and by email, since they are taking so long.

Good answer!

I completely agree, I won't say if im useing the FoV addon right now... ;)

But I can say that it gives 0 advantages in pvp, but it does help with motion sickness, but also eats more of your computers performance (Cpu/Gpu), this is noticeable for people who have dual gpus (Crossfire or SLI) because our setup isnt being fully used because ESO still isnt patched with crossfire or SLI compatability - so we are running on only 1 gpu right now.
  • elderscrollsb16_ESO109
    Out of topic but there's a tip to use SLI somewhere in this forum.
    (Have seen nothing for cross-fire till now)
  • reggielee
    reggielee
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mishoniko wrote: »
    For those of you interested in the science behind FoV and why it is important for games, this links to a video explaining it:

http://artsygamer.com/fov-in-games/

that was a very interesting vid, thanks for sharing it. I suffer from gaming nausea and its increasing with time as games get more and more realistic. this may help me adjust my pc and settings to aid with that

Mama always said the fastest way to a man's heart is through his chest.
  • stmalkb14
    stmalkb14
    ✭✭
    I tried playing with that FOV mod yesterday. It was amazing, I didn't feel sick and finally could fully play 1st person with full immersion and joy. I hope they don't ban me for not getting sick while playing...
  • qbec85eb17_ESO
    Can anyone provide me with a working link so I can download this add on and try it for my self? The link provided earlier in the thread isn't working anymore...
  • Chomag
    Chomag
    ✭✭✭
    Skillet wrote: »
    its just lazy or rushed development.

You just described ESO.
  • jonephesb14_ESO
    I doubt it was rushed it, was in development before Skyrim came out.
    Edited by jonephesb14_ESO on April 17, 2014 8:03PM
  • Gillysan
    Gillysan
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand what is so difficult about this. Someone made a mod already yet TESO is still "working on a patch"?

I would also suggest that besides increasing the FoV there is a slider to slightly adjust the perspective height from the ground for 1st person. Not a big change but allow the view to change as from a short person to say troll height.

These two sliders should be in the UI so it can be adjusted while playing. Prefer not to have to hit ESC, go to that view, rummage through menus, go back to the game check how my settings are working, hit ESC again, repeat...you get the picture.
    Edited by Gillysan on April 17, 2014 8:12PM
  • qbec85eb17_ESO
    I doubt it was rushed it, was in development before Skyrim came out.

He is talking about the 1st person view that came late in the development process :)
  • qbec85eb17_ESO
    again I ask: Can someone give me a link so I can download the add on?
  • Chomag
    Chomag
    ✭✭✭

You can probably find it on www.esoui.com
  • otomodachi
    otomodachi
    ✭✭✭
    Kyosji wrote: »
    It doesn't matter if they said they were or they didn't. The fact of the matter is that you are adding something to your game that was not originally in it, giving you now an unfair advantage over other players. Am I wrong here?

It appears not; my googling and 5 seconds of my time failed, my guess is it's not easily available and anyone posting a link here would have their post removed as containing a malicious link. *shrug* Sorry my friend. :/ Maybe someone will PM you.
    What do you gain by criticizing a CSR complaint?
  • Gillysan
    Gillysan
    ✭✭✭✭
    These are just images of the mod in question in action, so I think I'm safe posting them here. It's pretty clear that this would be a very popular change. My question is what is the current FoV in degrees we are being forced to live with? Why can't a modest FoV increase slider be implemented right away that ZOS can then later tweak to keep the art looking good?

AA652JY.jpg
    TPukutY.jpg
    Edited by Gillysan on April 17, 2014 9:43PM
  • clocksstoppe
    clocksstoppe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this cant be unfair. i play in thirdperson therefore i have 360 degree field of view. i couldnt care less if some first person man used 90 120 or whatever fov
  • murklor007neb18_ESO
    This type of "mod" isnt technically a valid addon for ESO - in fact its the same method cheat programs use. It doesnt really matter how harmless it is or how much a FoV slider is needed, if ESO has an automated system for checking against this you may very well end up being banned for cheating.
  • qbec85eb17_ESO
    Chomag wrote: »

No you cant, because it's not a normal mod/add on :)

• FezzikVizzini
    FezzikVizzini
    ✭✭✭
    Chomag wrote: »

Do people ever read replies before typing ?

To recap.

IT IS NOT AN ADDON. IT IS NOT AVAILABLE AT ADDON SITES.

It is a stand alone .exe that alters you client's memory to change the FOV. As such it is CLEARLY agasinst the TOS.

An addon can only do things that the games API lets it do. Changing FOV is not one of them.

Do you really want to run a .exe that changes memory and could be doing god knows what else ?

And besides which the whole discussion is moot anyway as there is no way that the game could tell if you had injected memory to do this anyway.
    Yeah, I got a PC. I just don't feel the need to post it's specifications for an ego boost.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Apologies, everyone. We'll check on the status of this now.

Edit: Looks like the team took a close look, and we see no reason why you shouldn't be able to use this mod. Thanks for your patience while we looked into this, and enjoy!
    Edited by ZOS_GinaBruno on April 17, 2014 10:07PM
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • stmalkb14
    stmalkb14
    ✭✭
    Finally good news! Thank you!
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Carde wrote: »
    You gotta mark people like this @ZOS_GinaBruno to get them to see it.

(Sorry Gina, payback for the crossbow <3)
    Hassling the mod who enshrined an embarrassing post of yours because she found it amusing... "I too like to live dangerously"

Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • qbec85eb17_ESO
    OK, then someone needs to upload it somewhere so everyone can get it :)
  • Gillysan
    Gillysan
    ✭✭✭✭
    OK, then someone needs to upload it somewhere so everyone can get it :)
    Wait for the official answer!!!

No one hit agree or something on my reposting of insightful images. :(

Edited by Gillysan on April 17, 2014 10:14PM
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Gillysan‌ and I gave you a click
    Apologies, everyone. We'll check on the status of this now.

Edit: Looks like the team took a close look, and we see no reason why you shouldn't be able to use this mod. Thanks for your patience while we looked into this, and enjoy!

Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Charg
    Charg
    ✭✭✭
    Yay @Zos_GinaBruno is back, and looks like we are geting some news! finally!
  • ramasurinenpreub18_ESO
    Thank you so much! Now I can stop feeling constantly nauseous in this otherwise lovely game. :)

Absolutely looking forward to a proper FoV slider though, with a bit more range than this mod can give. It's a good stopgap measure though.

Cheers.
  • Drazhar14
    Drazhar14
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just ran around killing stuff using the mod, the first person view is so much more enjoyable now! :D