The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Bank Account Being Charged?

• ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager
    We want everyone who purchased ESO to have immediate access to the included 30 days of ESO game time. In the event that you enter your payment information for authorization and the transaction cancels due to lack of funds in your account, please contact our Support Team. We’ll work with you to ensure you have access to your included 30 days of game time.

Please ensure that you have attempted to enter payment information and had the transaction fail due to lack of funds before submitting a help request. We will get you into the game and playing as soon as possible.

We require you to choose a subscription option and enter valid payment information. For credit cards, debit cards and PayPal there is no charge made until after your included 30 days of game time has expired. For these payment methods, there is an authorization check performed to ensure the payment method is valid. You may see a temporary account authorization hold put on funds in your account while the verification completes. Usually this authorization hold lasts a short period of time before being removed. It can vary from bank to bank.

If you prefer to use one of the following payment methods, payment is processed at the time of selecting your preferred subscription plan.
    • Game Time Cards [via Retailer]
    • GiroPay
    • iDeal
    • Paysafe Card
    • WebMoney
    Jessica Folsom
    Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
    Staff Post
  • draconusarts_ESO
    Omg finally
  • Carafina34
    Carafina34
    ✭✭✭
    jessica ur standard zenimax approved anwser was bull! y should i have to go and buy my prepay card now so i can play free for a month. In my book that isnt free. Your company is shady and i have lost all faith with it.
  • Naria
    Naria
    And for those of us who are not attempting the transaction because your temporary hold would overdraft us? Why should we not get the same treatment?

My bank would honor your hold, but charge me 25 dollars for it.

This is not happening, please remedy this.
    We want everyone who purchased ESO to have immediate access to the included 30 days of ESO game time. In the event that you enter your payment information for authorization and the transaction cancels due to lack of funds in your account, please contact our Support Team. We’ll work with you to ensure you have access to your included 30 days of game time.

Please ensure that you have attempted to enter payment information and had the transaction fail due to lack of funds before submitting a help request. We will get you into the game and playing as soon as possible.

Edited by Naria on April 4, 2014 9:43PM
  • SkerX
    SkerX

We require you to choose a subscription option and enter valid payment information. For credit cards, debit cards and PayPal there is no charge made until after your included 30 days of game time has expired. For these payment methods, there is an authorization check performed to ensure the payment method is valid. You may see a temporary account authorization hold put on funds in your account while the verification completes. Usually this authorization hold lasts a short period of time before being removed. It can vary from bank to bank.

If you prefer to use one of the following payment methods, payment is processed at the time of selecting your preferred subscription plan.
    • GiroPay
    • iDeal
    • Paysafe Card
    • WebMoney
    it seems nothing of the 21 pages complains got to the support at all , nice job Zenimax$ ignorance is bliss :dizzy_face:
  • draconusarts_ESO
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom atleast give us a legitimate reason for charging the $14.99 to pre-auth instead of $1.00 like the rest of the world
  • t.j.stix85b14_ESO
    After putting in my game registration code and all my billing information, it won't let me submit due "some wrong with my billing information" however I check my bank statement online and they've charged me $14.99 up to 5 times. Hmm, doesn't seem like there's anything wrong with my billing information if they feel they can charge me.
  • ofdpt23
    ofdpt23

• GiroPay
    • iDeal
    • Paysafe Card
    • WebMoney

though I do appreciate your information on this Jessica, I am very concerned about there being no notice of this either on the website, nor is there any mention of this on any of the papers that you get with your physical copies of the game. I found out about the $15 "Verification charge" from a friend of mine who also plays the game. Thanks to the fact of being a gamer with real life obligations and real life bills to pay, my money is pretty well spoken for for the next two weeks.
  • Saracyn
    Saracyn
    Soul Shriven
    I've been playing MMOs for over 16 years, not new to this, and this is the first time I've seen a company do a full fee pre-auth to get game time you already paid for. Most companies charge a dollar, some people don't have the money to budget pre-authing a subscription they weren't supposed to pay for until next month after dropping nearly a hundred bucks on a game already, or more if they bought copies for friends and family as well, but can easily afford the $15 a month for game time if ZoS did the industry standard subscription process model.

Check your eyes.

It's obvious you've never checked it before this one time and it's clearly left an affect on you; if it's that big of a deal, why not just quit the game and end the subscription and wait a few days for you to get your money back? Or would you rather *** more about it?

• desonos
    desonos
    If anyone reads this i'll be amazed but, Guys I'm about to sound like a a total fan boy saying this. But the game is great. Why would you opt to buy the game if your not coming back for the next month (considering two open betas before)? I don't like the idea of them charging me but if they take the charge off as soon as it clears and refund the charge well then no harm or foul. And guys there is a reason banks tell you to keep about 20 bucks in your account. This is why.
  • Saracyn
    Saracyn
    Soul Shriven
    I've been playing MMOs for over 16 years, not new to this, and this is the first time I've seen a company do a full fee pre-auth to get game time you already paid for. Most companies charge a dollar, some people don't have the money to budget pre-authing a subscription they weren't supposed to pay for until next month after dropping nearly a hundred bucks on a game already, or more if they bought copies for friends and family as well, but can easily afford the $15 a month for game time if ZoS did the industry standard subscription process model.

Check your eyes.

Another thing, if you can't afford the *** game to begin with don't be buying it for your friends? or for yourself, for that matter? That makes completely no sense at ALL and say the reasons why you're throwing a fit run deeper than this simple banking method. It's not a standard model, sir, the only thing standard about it is that you're not use to WoW and I hate to say it, but some companies don't run *** like WoW.

I am genuinely sorry if this $15 charge put you in a financial bind, but damn, dude, get your stuff together.

• Felarrond
    Felarrond
    ✭✭✭

• GiroPay
    • iDeal
    • Paysafe Card
    • WebMoney

Thank you for at least finally responding to the thread and doing something for those who didn't have the money set aside to authorize their free game time.

I hope you will also be updating your Transaction pages to ensure you state plainly to customers on those pages, who don't read forums, that there will be a hold placed on their accounts for the full amount of subscription costs instead of saying 0.00 will be charged, because a hold is still a charge and still funds unavailable to your customers, and not informing them of that hold violates informed consent to place charges against their account.

That's been my biggest complaint this entire thread, and the fact that other MMOs accomplish this with a charge of $1.00. Not sure why ZoS can't do the same.
  • mroz123
    mroz123
    desonos wrote: »
    And guys there is a reason banks tell you to keep about 20 bucks in your account. This is why.
    I am pretty sure this is not the reason :D
  • Carafina34
    Carafina34
    ✭✭✭
    This whole thing is just dodgy!
  • Felarrond
    Felarrond
    ✭✭✭
    Saracyn wrote: »

Check your eyes.

It's obvious you've never checked it before this one time and it's clearly left an affect on you; if it's that big of a deal, why not just quit the game and end the subscription and wait a few days for you to get your money back? Or would you rather *** more about it?

My complaints obviously valid if hundreds of other people have it. My complaints has always been 2 simple things:

1.> You are not informed on any of the transaction pages that your account will be charged or a hold will be placed on your account. That's simply something you don't do to consumers, you always tell them of any incidental charges or holds on their account.

2.> ZoS could have easily used the industry standard $1.00 verification charge to ensure valid payment information, instead of saddling their customers with a full-priced hold on their accounts. This would have made it much easier for people with minuscule entertainment budgets to activate their free 30 days in game time. How much money do you think ZoS will now have to spend answering trouble tickets from people who can't clear the full hold on their account?

I'm bitching with a valid reason, so I don't feel bad at all about being upset here.
  • jaschacasadiob16_ESO
    jaschacasadiob16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder what happens if, once billed, I fill in a report to my bank saying it's an unauthorized transactions (aka fraud). If my support ticket finally gets an answer and I CAN play, I will give it a try, it might be fun.
    "Yesterday while searching a barrel in vVoM I found a lemon. Best drop of the whole run."

Protect the weak. Heal the sick.
    Treasure the gifts of friendship. Seek joy and inspiration in the mysteries of love.
    Honor the Earth, its creatures, and the spirits. Use Nature's gifts wisely. Respect her power. Fear her fury.
  • Felarrond
    Felarrond
    ✭✭✭

Check your eyes.

Another thing, if you can't afford the *** game to begin with don't be buying it for your friends? or for yourself, for that matter? That makes completely no sense at ALL and say the reasons why you're throwing a fit run deeper than this simple banking method. It's not a standard model, sir, the only thing standard about it is that you're not use to WoW and I hate to say it, but some companies don't run *** like WoW.

I am genuinely sorry if this $15 charge put you in a financial bind, but damn, dude, get your stuff together.

And if you'd read all of my threads, you'd notice I said this charge doesn't affect me personally as I had the money to clear the hold easily. I stated that the principle behind having money drawn against someones account was a violation of customers trust, dodgy, and possibly illegal in some states and countries.

Reread my posts.
  • annatarherunyaub17_ESO

Not everyone outside U.S. have always credit card limit in the international CC.
    Sure we can go and buy a travel credit card.
    But my time is money too. Spend one hour to buy one, or spend time in the bank to antecipate my credit card bill just to pay 15 bucks cause the game will not charge me but charge and refund?

Its not the lack of personal funds. Its the lack of funds in the international credit card. I cant take 15 bucks and fund my paypal account (can only fund in dollars and pay in dollars with a U.S. account) and i dont know how much time you need in the U.S. but here, 2 business days to pay and get the CC fund.

Yes, its just 15 bucks. But they will not vanish from my pocket and raise in the Zenimax account.

• Signex
    Signex
    ✭✭
    Well, fingers crossed.
  • mroz123
    mroz123
    I wonder what happens if, once billed, I fill in a report to my bank saying it's an unauthorized transactions (aka fraud). If my support ticket finally gets an answer and I CAN play, I will give it a try, it might be fun.
    What would you do if you'd stole a lot of cc credentials? You'd pre-authorize them to check their validity and credit amount and no one would see this on their statement. I am quite curious why this doesn't raise any fraud flags for thousands of those transactions during one day by company with no previous transaction history.
  • annatarherunyaub17_ESO
    Lol, got an e-mail.

"Thank you very much for your interest and dedication to The Elder Scrolls Online, it is really important for us to get your feedback and input in order to create a truly superb game.
    I am really sorry for this issue but do not worry because if a player does not have enough funds in his account and/or credit card and the verification process fails, he can still play the game via the 30 day free game play grace period.

So..we will have a 30 days grace period???? Even without a code redeem?
    Cause i cant redeem without the verification process...
    Edited by annatarherunyaub17_ESO on April 4, 2014 10:19PM
  • Signex
    Signex
    ✭✭
    I hope that's true... they owe us man xD
  • R1ckyDaMan
    R1ckyDaMan
    ✭✭✭✭

So if we choose to use a debit card or paypal we are required to have a full months sub in the bank NOW?
    I have like £2 in my bank and the auth fails because of lack of funds, you having a laugh because this is not funny...

• Etchesketch
    Etchesketch
    ✭✭✭✭

Check your eyes.

And if you'd read all of my threads, you'd notice I said this charge doesn't affect me personally as I had the money to clear the hold easily. I stated that the principle behind having money drawn against someones account was a violation of customers trust, dodgy, and possibly illegal in some states and countries.

Reread my posts.

Funny how many people just assume.

The number one rule of online gaming is now and has always been, Never play on Patch Day.
  • jaschacasadiob16_ESO
    jaschacasadiob16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was checking the ToS, which I did not agree btw.

For some Services, ZeniMax may offer You early access to a Game and/or a trial subscription. Such Services may require You to sign up for an Account and/or a subscription under the terms described above. If You accept a free trial subscription for a Game that requires a subscription, and the trial period expires, You will not be able to resume Game play or any paid Services usage without updating Your information and/or purchasing the paid subscription Services.

I can't find anywhere in the ToS where a user agrees on being charged these 15$, but maybe I simply missed it. If this is really the case (not being in the ToS), then, that 15$ transaction can absolutely be reported as unauthorized.
    "Yesterday while searching a barrel in vVoM I found a lemon. Best drop of the whole run."

Protect the weak. Heal the sick.
    Treasure the gifts of friendship. Seek joy and inspiration in the mysteries of love.
    Honor the Earth, its creatures, and the spirits. Use Nature's gifts wisely. Respect her power. Fear her fury.
  • Signex
    Signex
    ✭✭
    I've got a response, i might get mine activated, they transfered my email to a "specialist". :)
  • Ojustaboo
    Ojustaboo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

• GiroPay
    • iDeal
    • Paysafe Card
    • WebMoney

So can players who want to use these methods, get their 30 days they have already bought with their game without buying an additional month, because it looks like you are saying no they can't?

• stormsky02
    The 30 days of unlimited game play begins when you select your preferred subscription plan on store.elderscrollsonline.com. Subscription fees only charged for game access after the first 30 days, subject to cancellation by you at any time. No refunds or credits for partial months. If you choose to pay for your subscription with a prepaid non-recurring payment method or with a Game Time Card you will be charged at the time you select the subscription plan.

Got this straight from the account site when trying to register my game, so it says you will not be charged until after the 30 days free which is not true as nobody knew you had to select a subscription plan straight away until after we purchased the game and it was also not stated on the games case or box as I'm pretty sure everyone who got there game today presumed that 30 days free written on the box didn't mean you'll have to lend them $15 to get something that says free on it, we didn't even get a single warning to put money in our accounts to prepare for it also we didn't know this would stop us being able to register our game if we were unable to finish our subscription details thus prevent us from playing.
  • Woenprom
    Woenprom
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom‌

What about Gamecard/Webmoney users?

"We want everyone who purchased ESO to have immediate access to the included 30 days of ESO game time"

^^ That's not about us?
    " Multiplayer? M'aiq does not know this word. You wish others to help you in your quest? Coward! "
  • Dipwipe
    Dipwipe
    "We require you to choose a subscription option and enter valid payment information. For credit cards, debit cards and PayPal there is no charge made until after your included 30 days of game time has expired"

Greedy developers got online of games. Having bought game I also I paid 30 days of game. Why I have to show data of a credit card and the more so to show how many there money? And the most important - why from me was written off by money for the next 30 days (for the second month of game)? What for deception?