The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Would you like the ability to change your class?

• EdjeSwift
    EdjeSwift
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    FelisCatus wrote: »

Again you also did not read the original post, it's not skipping the game if your main has done everything. Technically buying skillines on crownstore is more of a skip.

No matter how many skill lines you buy from the crown store the one thing you cannot skip is those 50 levels of the class. You can have all 500+ skill points unlocked but you still have to level the class, use the skills and learn how to play the class and character and wait for skills to be unlocked. This is part of the experience of playing a class. Sure that character can have Meteor at level 1 but they won't have their class abilities or even their weapon abilities unlocked. Look, I get it, you love your main and you don't like your alts, if you're that attached to them, you can always recreate them, using all the same variables and come in fresh as a new class, treat it like some Daedric Prince gave you a reset on life.
    Antiquities Addict
  • FelisCatus
    FelisCatus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    EdjeSwift wrote: »
    FelisCatus wrote: »

Again you also did not read the original post, it's not skipping the game if your main has done everything. Technically buying skillines on crownstore is more of a skip.

No matter how many skill lines you buy from the crown store the one thing you cannot skip is those 50 levels of the class. You can have all 500+ skill points unlocked but you still have to level the class, use the skills and learn how to play the class and character and wait for skills to be unlocked. This is part of the experience of playing a class. Sure that character can have Meteor at level 1 but they won't have their class abilities or even their weapon abilities unlocked. Look, I get it, you love your main and you don't like your alts, if you're that attached to them, you can always recreate them, using all the same variables and come in fresh as a new class, treat it like some Daedric Prince gave you a reset on life.

Again it's not about leveling to 50. That part is easy. It's about having to abandon a character you're attached to that you've done everything on only because of something as basic as 3 skill lines. I have recreated my main visually, etc with just a different class but then I have to go do all the quests, dungeons, crafting, traits, motifs, guild skill lines, etc. AFTER I've levelled them to 50. Levelling to 50 is extremely easy and that isn't the issue. It's all the other stuff is.
    Edited by FelisCatus on December 7, 2023 3:42PM
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I agree that getting L50 is simple. Mount training, FG, MG, Undaunted, Psijic, Antiquities, Legardemain. . . that is tedium. I very much like the idea @ghastley proposed of when you delete a character, you are given the option of applying their training to a new one.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Sarannah wrote: »
    No, as a class change is basically skipping having to play the game. Hope it never happens!

Just create multiple characters if you want to try another class. But a classchange would devalue all the work someone else put into their class.

Agreed, just like someone having managed to achieve Master Angler on a couple of characters, only to log in one day to find the other 16 characters were now Master Anglers too, despite never having caught a single fish.
    Edited by Tandor on December 7, 2023 7:39PM
  • Tyrant_Tim
    Tyrant_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Although I’m sure nothing will please everyone…

Compromise can be met, and changing your class could mean resetting each of your Class Skill Lines down to 1 as if you made a new character.

This would make a lot more sense lore-wise than magically becoming an entirely different race as your character would be learning entirely new abilities that they have no experience with, something people go through in reality every day.

With the level scaling present in the game, it would still be a difficult experience being at 160cp with minimal class skills.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Sarannah wrote: »
    No, as a class change is basically skipping having to play the game. Hope it never happens!

Just create multiple characters if you want to try another class. But a classchange would devalue all the work someone else put into their class.

I doubt it ever happens. Zenimax has made it so we do not have to level up guild or AvA skill lines again and we can even buy sky shards we have obtained on other characters. Let us not forget the ability to instantly train our mounts has been available for awhile.

All of that A La Carte is likely to bring in more revenue than a class change token could.

• AlterBlika
    AlterBlika
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    that's what alts are for.

I'm sorry, but it takes maybe 8 hours to hit level 50 if you do it right. And you have all your Champ points. The skill points if you just blast through the story of each zone you quickly after more than enough. Being able to change the class i s just lazy.

50 level was never a problem. Mount skills, skill points, skill lines are. Call me lazy but I don't want to redo all the stuff again. I did it all once and that's enough for me.
  • YffresTrill
    YffresTrill
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I find it very dismissive how many people seem to disregard a very legitimate reason for wanting to change your class: if you roleplay your characters over a long period of time, grow emotionally attached to them, but you realise after this time that a new (or even existing) class suits the roleplay better.

By restarting the character from scratch, you are deleting their story, and it won't be same a second time.

If this is something you do not understand / cannot relate to in the slightest, as you do not view your characters in this way, that is of course fine, but it saddens me how many people are against class change because to them personally "rerolling" has no emotional element.

(+1 to the people here who have pointed out the nonsense that is being able to change your race, but class, which is a skill set and not in-born, being off-limits.)

Edit to add: If class change were made possible, would many players use it for entirely different reasons? Well of course, and that's fine too. I stand by my mantra of "let others have their fun." This is a game, and unless one is harassing others, they are not hurting them by playing differently.
    Edited by YffresTrill on December 8, 2023 4:47AM
    @ Yffre'sTrill - PC/EU (No Steam)
    -
    Naering (Bosmer WW Archer - Valenwood separatist, Hircine-agnostic, honoured affiliate of the Gang of Scroungers.)
    Alts: Kunali, Free-as-Wind, Gurzog gro-Kosh, Seldril, Hatiba, Kareemal, Gilfirion, Elorwe, Ludvikke, Tsetha-Vos, Loulou Villeau, and Nilvani.
  • thorwyn
    thorwyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No
    I find it very dismissive how many people seem to disregard a very legitimate reason for wanting to change your class: if you roleplay your characters over a long period of time, grow emotionally attached to them, but you realise after this time that a new (or even existing) class suits the roleplay better.

I find it very dismissive to start a poll and then be upset about people not answering the way you want to hear. Some people came up with perfectly valid reasons why class change is NOT a good idea from the game design perspective. As long as you are unable to eliminate those objections, "let us have fun" is not a convincing argument pro class change.
    Also, in my books, roleplaying your characters means that they have some kind of background that can not be *POOF* magically changed, because it "suits the roleplay better".
    Edited by thorwyn on December 8, 2023 5:12AM
    And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
    And if there is no room upon the hill
    And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
    I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
  • Eregios
    Eregios
    Soul Shriven
    Yes
    I have only one Reason why i want a classchange options. And thats because i have to lvl up stuff like scry again and again.

scrying is nice if you do it one time. But lvl it up on multiple times and it gets pretty boring. So changing class would be nice, OR give scry lvl on alts.
  • M0ntie
    M0ntie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Nope. Different classes come and go as being strong or how I want to play. So I've made one or more of each class. I like to make them have different personalities and looks depending on what they mainly do. Plus then you have more characters to do daily crafting writs and other activities.
    Also they don't all need all skill lines.

If you're attached to your character, then just make the others exactly the same look as it.
    I still hop on my first character to do new zone quests, crafting and other easy achievements.
  • Kisakee
    Kisakee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

By restarting the character from scratch, you are deleting their story, and it won't be same a second time.

If this is something you do not understand / cannot relate to in the slightest, as you do not view your characters in this way, that is of course fine, but it saddens me how many people are against class change because to them personally "rerolling" has no emotional element.

Actually giving up on your current profession, having no longer access to it and starting as a new class is more like "deleting" a characters past/ memory/ story as you can't go back easily. Making a new toon contains the prior character completely while you're able to start a brand new story of another beloved one and you can switch back and forth onto them. Your arguments are the complete opposite of what you're trying to tell us.

Plus it's not like you're magically having more comtent to do after a class change, in fact you're having less as you can't replay one-time quests. Your turn.
    "I don't know who you are, but i will find you and i will rob you." - Liam Thiefsson
  • evan302
    evan302
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    I think this would be a nice option for the game.
    I stared on a sorcerer not realising that I would be running around with an entire menagerie in tow, and she's now relegated to being an alt. Had I had the option to change her class I probably would have done so.
    As to remaking a character, we don't have the ability to save appearances so unless you took screenies when you made a character, remaking them is going to be hit and miss.
    And yes, I know ZoS make money out of riding lessons, skyshards etc for alts but I don't think being able to change class would dry this revenue stream up. Alts give a player a lot of advantages in this game, so many players would want them regardless of having the ability to change class, I certainly wouldn't be deleting any of mine.
  • Kisakee
    Kisakee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    evan302 wrote: »
    As to remaking a character, we don't have the ability to save appearances so unless you took screenies when you made a character, remaking them is going to be hit and miss.

Well there is an option, you're just not going to like it: Get a change appearance token and use it on the toon you want to recreate, now you can see all the sliders and options you took. You can cancel the process and keep the token for future uses.
    "I don't know who you are, but i will find you and i will rob you." - Liam Thiefsson
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    I'd never change class or race of my existing characters, but if someone wants to, why not.
  • YffresTrill
    YffresTrill
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    thorwyn wrote: »

I find it very dismissive to start a poll and then be upset about people not answering the way you want to hear. Some people came up with perfectly valid reasons why class change is NOT a good idea from the game design perspective. As long as you are unable to eliminate those objections, "let us have fun" is not a convincing argument pro class change.
    Also, in my books, roleplaying your characters means that they have some kind of background that can not be *POOF* magically changed, because it "suits the roleplay better".

I am not convinced by any arguments against it because I cannot see how anything raised is more important than letting everyone play how they want. However, I cannot see how I could convince anyone who does think that is a lesser concern otherwise. All I can do is state my opinion, as I have done.

Edit to add: The method of roleplay you have described is no more nor less valid than anyone else's.
    Edited by YffresTrill on December 8, 2023 11:02AM
    @ Yffre'sTrill - PC/EU (No Steam)
    -
    Naering (Bosmer WW Archer - Valenwood separatist, Hircine-agnostic, honoured affiliate of the Gang of Scroungers.)
    Alts: Kunali, Free-as-Wind, Gurzog gro-Kosh, Seldril, Hatiba, Kareemal, Gilfirion, Elorwe, Ludvikke, Tsetha-Vos, Loulou Villeau, and Nilvani.
  • ESO_CenturionPlayer
    ESO_CenturionPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    it’ll never happen.

people who unknowingly started a main in a garbage class have requested this for years. i left the game a couple months ago and just monitor forums now, but would consider returning if this were implemented.
  • Maitsukas
    Maitsukas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I'd see a usage limit to avoid chasing the meta class, a hefty price for a single token, skill lines getting reset to level 1, possible bugs of skill points getting lost.

Best approach is to start a new character and level it up to 50, which shouldn't take too long these days.

Regarding knowledge, it's your characters that learn things like recipes and motifs, not your account. Same thing applies to Companion rapport, as your characters develop friendships, not your account.
    PC-EU @maitsukas

Posting the weekly Infinite Archive vendor updates (No updates for May 6 and May 14 due to IRL events).

Also trying out new Main Quests, Companions, ToT decks, Events and Styles on PTS.
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    I have every class except warden at 50, and I would STILL like a class change capability.

I'm OCD about achievements, skill points, motifs, recipes, and completeness.
  • KiltMaster
    KiltMaster
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I say yes, but my question then is do you get all your class skill points refunded and have to regrind the class lines for the new class? To me, that's really the only feasible way that makes sense.
    PC/NA
    GM of "Kilts for Sale"
    Ebonheart Pact
    He/Him
  • Kisakee
    Kisakee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    KiltMaster wrote: »
    I say yes, but my question then is do you get all your class skill points refunded and have to regrind the class lines for the new class? To me, that's really the only feasible way that makes sense.

Put all skill lines to 0 and reset all skyshards and everything else than can be bought in the crown store including mount training so it's like you would start a fresh new character and i'm okay with class changes. Otherwise still No.
  • KiltMaster
    KiltMaster
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Kisakee wrote: »
    Put all skill lines to 0 and reset all skyshards and everything else than can be bought in the crown store including mount training so it's like you would start a fresh new character and i'm okay with class changes. Otherwise still No.

seems a bit too much to me to include skyshards and mount training. Just my opinion. Cuz that's kind of the whole point. If you're gonna nuke the toon on everything except level, might as well just make a new toon lol.

You also wanna reset crafting progress?

PC/NA
    GM of "Kilts for Sale"
    Ebonheart Pact
    He/Him
  • Kisakee
    Kisakee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    KiltMaster wrote: »

seems a bit too much to me to include skyshards and mount training. Just my opinion. Cuz that's kind of the whole point. If you're gonna nuke the toon on everything except level, might as well just make a new toon lol.

You also wanna reset crafting progress?

Everything that can be purchased through crown store so you have no advantage over a freshly created toon. You will keep your professions, motifs etc. This is the only way i would be fine with it.

Edit: You might as well make switching class free at that point and with a 24 hour cooldown. Plus you can't switch if you did mount training for that day to prevent exploitation.
    Edited by Kisakee on December 8, 2023 5:34PM
  • ESO_CenturionPlayer
    ESO_CenturionPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    will they make more money from the token changes and reinvigorated player base or will they make more keeping it status quo?

game is in decline and needs something to help it out. if players and revenue are going down the game will enter a death spiral. that’s the real issue.
  • Kisakee
    Kisakee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    game is in decline and needs something to help it out.
    Source?
    if players and revenue are going down the game will enter a death spiral

"If".
  • ESO_CenturionPlayer
    ESO_CenturionPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Source?

"If".

read the post about merging servers and look at real data provided by platforms running the ESO program. Steam shows that the game peaked in 2020 and is about 40% of that peak now based on player count.

PCNA is the most popular server, so i can imagine all the others have really cratered. changes since 2020 have driven away more players than have retained them. there was a real chance to keep this mmo active for another decade but they missed it. they need something to bring back people who have moved on to something new and better.

anecdotally all of my friends dedicated to the game (including myself) have been leaving guilds or going inactive to spend their money/time on something else.
  • Kisakee
    Kisakee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Source?

"If".

read the post about merging servers and look at real data provided by platforms running the ESO program. Steam shows that the game peaked in 2020 and is about 40% of that peak now based on player count.

PCNA is the most popular server, so i can imagine all the others have really cratered. changes since 2020 have driven away more players than have retained them. there was a real chance to keep this mmo active for another decade but they missed it. they need something to bring back people who have moved on to something new and better.

anecdotally all of my friends dedicated to the game (including myself) have been leaving guilds or going inactive to spend their money/time on something else.

You're ignoring multiple facts:
    - Steam isn't the only platform, there are a lot of people using Epic or no intermediaries
    - Peaks are normal for big releases and most people don't stay for more than a couple months, this is true for every release in every MMO
    - Free of charge accounts used by bot companies are counted in too and thousand over thousand have been sorted out over time, effectively decreasing "population"

Using a peak reference with tons of bot accounts at a point when the biggest update ever happened isn't barely evidence for anyhing.
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

This thread has been moved to the Combat & Character Mechanics section, as it is better suited there.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • ESO_CenturionPlayer
    ESO_CenturionPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Source?

"If".

You're ignoring multiple facts:
    - Steam isn't the only platform, there are a lot of people using Epic or no intermediaries
    - Peaks are normal for big releases and most people don't stay for more than a couple months, this is true for every release in every MMO
    - Free of charge accounts used by bot companies are counted in too and thousand over thousand have been sorted out over time, effectively decreasing "population"

Using a peak reference with tons of bot accounts at a point when the biggest update ever happened isn't barely evidence for anyhing.

nothing with hard data indicates this game is in a healthy place long term. i know people *want* to believe it is going to be amazing and super populated forever… but it isn’t and has consistently declined quarter over quarter since its peak.

introducing class change tokens would help bring back veteran players who got tired of their main character getting absolutely obliterated while other classes get preferentially nerfed.

not going to argue about this fact. zero data shows increased interest or revenue while everything i can find indicates the contrary.

i am yes to class change tokens and im peacing out on this needless back and forth. it doesn’t matter anyway cause they are NEVER going to do it and they have made it clear. congrats you picked the winning team. so its moot.
  • AlterBlika
    AlterBlika
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes

What's the point then