Maintenance for the week of May 20:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 20
• NA megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/658773

Would you like the ability to change your class?

• Kisakee
    Kisakee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Most No’s in here are personal No’s for their own reasons, but I think the positive thing to do would be to give more options to the players!
    You have more than enough options, you're just not using them. Hint: Alts.
    Who are you to judge how someone wants to play the game? I personally would love it as I only play one character mostly and it’d be nice to switch when I get burnt out on my main to spice things up! Especially when new classes come out and I want to try it but not start absolutely everything over.
    Just because you would like it doesn't mean it would be good for the game. The whole purpose of an MMO is to keep people playing which means to get lots of alt characters to expierence variety. A class change would completely contradict what they want you to do: Play more on other characters. If you're not doing it for whatever reason that's on you, the option is still there.
    The thing is - a token wouldn’t affect anyone who didn’t want to purchase one themselves. It would just open up freedom for people who want it. So saying no is frankly silly in my opinion.
    That's because you don't understand how the system works, a class change would kill the game in the long run plus it would be extremely expensive to make up for all the time/ money you're not spending to level up a new characters and it's skill lines, guilds and everything else.
    I think these posts should be made regularly as they are as it shows something that MANY players do indeed want and have not received yet. The point of the forums is to draw attention to concerns, requests, etc. ZOS may not have had plans for this a year ago or 2 years ago, but that doesn’t mean it’s something they can’t work towards - especially given how many are interested. People getting sick of these posts should keep the same energy then for posts about Necro buffs or Templar support buffs - haven’t done it yet, so might as well stop posting! Right? Of course not.
    The answer is still no and as long as i care for the game it isn't going to change because i want to keep the game running.
    Edited by Kisakee on December 6, 2023 4:39PM
    "I don't know who you are, but i will find you and i will rob you." - Liam Thiefsson
    Options
  • ACamaroGuy
    ACamaroGuy
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    My main was a MagPlar. After U35, to me, it's unplayable now. I really wish that I could change my class so that I could continue using this toon because I have everything unlocked with them.
    For the Empire
    Options
  • FelisCatus
    FelisCatus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    If only people stopped crying about class change tokens.. 500k threads on this and ZoS' answer has never changed.

Give it a rest already. Spend your time on something you might be able to change.

I don't think people will stop asking for it.
    Kisakee wrote: »
    Most No’s in here are personal No’s for their own reasons, but I think the positive thing to do would be to give more options to the players!
    You have more than enough options, you're just not using them. Hint: Alts.
    Who are you to judge how someone wants to play the game? I personally would love it as I only play one character mostly and it’d be nice to switch when I get burnt out on my main to spice things up! Especially when new classes come out and I want to try it but not start absolutely everything over.
    Just because you would like it doesn't mean it would be good for the game. The whole purpose of an MMO is to keep people playing which means to get lots of alt characters to expierence variety. A class change would completely contradict what they want you to do: Play more on other characters. If you're not doing it for whatever reason that's on you, the option is still there.
    The thing is - a token wouldn’t affect anyone who didn’t want to purchase one themselves. It would just open up freedom for people who want it. So saying no is frankly silly in my opinion.
    That's because you don't understand how the system works, a class change would kill the game in the long run plus it would be extremely expensive to make up for all the time/ money you're not spending to level up a new characters and it's skill lines, guilds and everything else.
    I think these posts should be made regularly as they are as it shows something that MANY players do indeed want and have not received yet. The point of the forums is to draw attention to concerns, requests, etc. ZOS may not have had plans for this a year ago or 2 years ago, but that doesn’t mean it’s something they can’t work towards - especially given how many are interested. People getting sick of these posts should keep the same energy then for posts about Necro buffs or Templar support buffs - haven’t done it yet, so might as well stop posting! Right? Of course not.
    The answer is still no and as long as i care for the game it isn't going to change because i want to keep the game running.

Other MMOs lke Final Fantasy have been able to implement class change and haven't lost players because of it.
    Options
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    FelisCatus wrote: »

Other MMOs lke Final Fantasy have been able to implement class change and haven't lost players because of it.

Final Fantasy XIV doesn't have class change, it has multiple classes that were in the game from the outset. Totally different!
    Options
  • AnduinTryggva
    AnduinTryggva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Absolutely yes.

Makes much more sense to change class than race...
    Options
  • ob1ken0bi
    ob1ken0bi
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    It’s funny.
    You can change your race (complete appearance and history background) but can’t change your class (basically your profession)

Complete opposite from real life.
    Options
  • TwiceBornStar
    TwiceBornStar
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    I can understand why you'd like one, but would it really be such a good idea, generally speaking? I mean, any time a new class comes out a *lot* of people are playing the same class as it is, and I suspect you'll see a whole lot more people playing the same class when a token such as this will be made available. I don't know, I think that would be quite a boring experience?

I kinda like the idea of having to choose a class and having to invest some time in your class. It's like picking your favourite team. You wouldn't support a different team every couple of months either, would you? I understand why playing the same story over and over would be less exciting than playing it for the first time, but surely you can create a baby character every time a new Chapter comes out?

You don't *have* to play everything with the same character. You say you're attached to your main character, and I get that, but would your main character really be the same if you changed him/her every couple of months? Why not create a new one and play a new Chapter?

I mean, we already have the option to just buy the skill lines we've unlocked for new characters if we *really* don't want to play everything again, and if you're willing to spend money on a class change token, you'd probably be willing to spend money on a skill line?
    Options
  • allochthons
    allochthons
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes.
    But it'll never happen.

I really wish the devs would read these threads, though. There have been great suggestions over the years for making it really useful without being overpowered!
    The main one being: Only let each toon change class Once. Or only be able to change a class once per account once every 365 days.

For example, I have a toon I made for an under 50 Emperor push. I already had two other toons of that class, so I'll never actually use this toon for anything else unless I can change the class. But I spent a LOT of effort getting skyshards, leveling psijic, etc. And I don't want to delete the toon and lose that effort. So right now it's a bank/crafting writs toon, just on the off-chance they actually let us change class one day.

I have 18 toons. A mag and a stam on every class, and a healer, dps, and a tank on every class. I still want to be able to change a class once in awhile.
    Edited by allochthons on December 6, 2023 5:06PM
    She/They
    PS5/NA
    Options
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes.
    But it'll never happen.

I really wish the devs would read these threads, though. There have been great suggestions over the years for making it really useful without being overpowered!
    The main one being: Only let each toon change class Once. Or only be able to change a class once per account once every 365 days.

For example, I have a toon I made for an under 50 Emperor push. I already had two other toons of that class, so I'll never actually use this toon for anything else unless I can change the class. But I spent a LOT of effort getting skyshards, leveling psijic, etc. And I don't want to delete the toon and lose that effort. So right now it's a bank/crafting writs toon, just on the off-chance they actually let us change class one day.

I have 18 toons. A mag and a stam on every class, and a healer, dps, and a tank on every class. I still want to be able to change a class once in awhile.

A genuine curiosity question - why do you think it would be overpowered to be able to swap class more than once (or once a year), its not like you would be swapping mid trial between trash mobs and bosses if it was similar to other tokens. Yes you may see more 'flavour of the month' classes appearing in various content but that would be a players choice for those who don't like levelling characters or whatever reason they have for not having a specific character for that class
    Soupy twist
    Options
  • LannStone
    LannStone
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    The question was "Would you like the ability to change your class?" (bold added)
    Not would I be in favor of other players being able to change their class
    That's why I voted no
    Options
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    fizl101 wrote: »
    Yes.
    But it'll never happen.

A genuine curiosity question - why do you think it would be overpowered to be able to swap class more than once (or once a year), its not like you would be swapping mid trial between trash mobs and bosses if it was similar to other tokens. Yes you may see more 'flavour of the month' classes appearing in various content but that would be a players choice for those who don't like levelling characters or whatever reason they have for not having a specific character for that class

It's a player's choice that would be heavily influenced by frequent changes being made to classes so that more tokens would be sold in order to make up the lost revenue from character slots, skill lines, skyshards and mount training etc. The player's choice might also be dictated by those groups that kicked those players who weren't playing the "flavour of the month" class for their role.
    Options
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    fizl101 wrote: »
    Yes.
    But it'll never happen.

It's a player's choice that would be heavily influenced by frequent changes being made to classes so that more tokens would be sold in order to make up the lost revenue from character slots, skill lines, skyshards and mount training etc. The player's choice might also be dictated by those groups that kicked those players who weren't playing the "flavour of the month" class for their role.

I wont discuss the points about money making etc, but groups already ask for x parse arcanists for trials etc, so that would be no different to now, except that the player will have the choice to change one of their characters to that class if they wish
    Soupy twist
    Options
  • FelisCatus
    FelisCatus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I can understand why you'd like one, but would it really be such a good idea, generally speaking? I mean, any time a new class comes out a *lot* of people are playing the same class as it is, and I suspect you'll see a whole lot more people playing the same class when a token such as this will be made available. I don't know, I think that would be quite a boring experience?

I kinda like the idea of having to choose a class and having to invest some time in your class. It's like picking your favourite team. You wouldn't support a different team every couple of months either, would you? I understand why playing the same story over and over would be less exciting than playing it for the first time, but surely you can create a baby character every time a new Chapter comes out?

You don't *have* to play everything with the same character. You say you're attached to your main character, and I get that, but would your main character really be the same if you changed him/her every couple of months? Why not create a new one and play a new Chapter?

I mean, we already have the option to just buy the skill lines we've unlocked for new characters if we *really* don't want to play everything again, and if you're willing to spend money on a class change token, you'd probably be willing to spend money on a skill line?

Personally it takes me awhile to decide if I like a class. I did fully level all (including guilds) skill lines, even antiquities, on necro even did a lot of pvp and pve on it then realised after about 2 years I didn't like it and couldn't stick to it so I went back to my main DK which I find really boring. What stopped me staying on Necro? I enjoyed Necro but my main gripe was the temp summons. It took me awhile to realise that it wasn't something that I came to the conclusion of after a few weeks. On top of

Having to repeat all the quests for map completion and skillpoints. It's too much. The game has gotten to the point where there's so much content that's not bad but it makes alts more and more laborious. I don't find repeating quests fun, I already know the story and outcome and skipping through them isn't fun either. It's not like ESO's quests are multiple choice like BG3 either, so there's no real benefit except skillpoints to re-doing them. Conclusion? I don't play my necro anymore. I have no intent of playing it again, I'd only MAYBE play Necro if I could class change my main into one. Although if I class change was available I'd probably go nightblade.

Bottom line is class change is not only convenient but it's a quality of line addition that just increasingly makes more sense the bigger and more expansive the game gets
    . Inevitably there will be more classes, as no one really expected arcanist. It doesn't make sense to just stop at one class that is devoted to one daedric prince. It seems like they may make more daedric prince themed classes. Do you think people should have to level an alt, not just main level but skill lines, guild lines, quests, dungeon quests, pvp rank etc. Then what if they decide after years that a new character they've made that they've completed lots on and are attached to decide they no longer feel that character's identity matches with their class or their class is no longer fun to them anymore. They have to shelve the whole character and restart on an alt?

The logic makes no sense. Not everyone has the time or patience either. I know MMOS are grindy but they are also games and games are supposed to be fun. Burn out is what causes players to leave. It's why the game spikes in activity at events but tempers out when events end.
    Options
  • FelisCatus
    FelisCatus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    LannStone wrote: »
    The question was "Would you like the ability to change your class?" (bold added)
    Not would I be in favor of other players being able to change their class
    That's why I voted no

I didn't put you in bold. When I said you it was addressed generally, not personally.
    Options
  • Lolinda
    Lolinda
    ✭✭
    No
    Never in any good mmo there was a class change, a class in an mmo is a base you build around, race, gender etc not.important, also that's why they give you more slots with new classes, we have 20 slots now, use them
    Options
  • JemadarofCaerSalis
    JemadarofCaerSalis
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    For me, I don't like replaying content immediately (usually need a year or more before I can replay something because I remember too much of it), so I will likely never have the opportunity to try out other classes, because I just don't want to have to go through the content again and again and again on different characters.

Beyond that, if new classes are going to be introduced, a new class might fit my character better than their current class.

I personally would really love the ability to be able to 'extend' the current class (in someway) with skills from other classes (or entire skill lines).

that is one thing I did like about Skyrim, I wasn't locked into a specific class, but could experiment/pick and choose the type of character I wanted.

I don't mind a class system, but I also like being able to have hybrid classes/more freedom.
    Options
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    I have no need for it.

Options
  • SmellyUnlimited
    SmellyUnlimited
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    If for no other reason than I’m sick of hunting for sky shards and mage lore books. ESO is supposed to be centered around the mechanics and gameplay, yet the enormity of it feels like you’re perpetually in “preparation mode”: farming mats, writs, gear, buying, selling, trading, grinding. I know this has historically been the age-old realm of the MMO, and I fully understand there is fun to be had in each of these elements, but the majority of the game shouldn’t be this way. Let us change a class and experience a new walk of life, albeit with a fee so ZOS gets their piece of the pie. Stop making EVERYTHING about this perpetual grind to experience the game.
    DO. NOT. WIPE. (in game OR out!)
    Options
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While it would be nice, it all comes down to $$$. They make a fortune off of character upgrades. Imagine if nobody needed to buy any more upgrade items because all they would have to do it purchase a class change... ZOS would lose tons of money. With outfits, armories, mount upgrades, etc... all being character bound... it doesn't make sense to allow people to change class- even for 5K crown. To make up for the loss, ZOS would need to charge about 150K-200K crown PER class change.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
    Options
  • Vynera
    Vynera
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    If a class change is absolutly not possible, implement something like an "knowledge transfer" so everything that is currently locked to a specific character becomes available on a second one. motif / recipes / traits / furnishings / skyshards / quests completed / alliance rank and whatever else there is.
    Options
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    I think the option should definitely be there for everyone. I'd personally only ever change a character's class if ZOS made a new class that suited them better which, for my characters, I doubt would ever happen, especially if arcanist is something to go by.
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian ghostminder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
    Options
  • Kisakee
    Kisakee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Vynera wrote: »
    If a class change is absolutly not possible, implement something like an "knowledge transfer" so everything that is currently locked to a specific character becomes available on a second one. motif / recipes / traits / furnishings / skyshards / quests completed / alliance rank and whatever else there is.

That's exactly what they DON'T want to happen. If you want to have all the fancy stuff one toon has on another one you gonna do it all over AGAIN, that's the whole point. Different character, different everything. You already have AWA catering for you.
    "I don't know who you are, but i will find you and i will rob you." - Liam Thiefsson
    Options
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No
    No, as a class change is basically skipping having to play the game. Hope it never happens!

Just create multiple characters if you want to try another class. But a classchange would devalue all the work someone else put into their class.
    Options
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I am unsure what the constant, unchangeable attribute of a character should be, but there must be one, or it isn’t the same character. Race/gender seems like a more reasonable static.

Creating a new character, rather than changing an existing one, does take a lot of repetition of riding lessons and other cumulative daily tasks. If there was a way to get that investment refunded to use on a fresh character, there would be no demand for the class change. Maybe that would be a better approach?
    Options
  • Tranquilizer
    Tranquilizer
    ✭✭✭✭
    No
    Don't need it for myself, because I have lots of alts. But for those who want it, go for it.
    Options
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    that's what alts are for.

I'm sorry, but it takes maybe 8 hours to hit level 50 if you do it right. And you have all your Champ points. The skill points if you just blast through the story of each zone you quickly after more than enough. Being able to change the class i s just lazy.
    Options
  • FelisCatus
    FelisCatus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    that's what alts are for.

I'm sorry, but it takes maybe 8 hours to hit level 50 if you do it right. And you have all your Champ points. The skill points if you just blast through the story of each zone you quickly after more than enough. Being able to change the class i s just lazy.

You clearly did not read the original post.
    Options
  • Quethrosar
    Quethrosar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    i can't be bothered to level another character on stuff i have already beaten on one character which is like everything.
    so class change tokens are the only way i will experience other classes unless i can just instant level to 50 on the other classes and keep all skill points and stuff from my normal character.
    Options
  • FelisCatus
    FelisCatus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Sarannah wrote: »
    No, as a class change is basically skipping having to play the game. Hope it never happens!

Just create multiple characters if you want to try another class. But a classchange would devalue all the work someone else put into their class.

Again you also did not read the original post, it's not skipping the game if your main has done everything. Technically buying skillines on crownstore is more of a skip.
    Edited by FelisCatus on December 7, 2023 3:33PM
    Options
  • FelisCatus
    FelisCatus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Seems a lot of people who vote no to the poll don't read the original post and just call people lazy. :#

What I keep trying to highlight is if you constantly force people to regrind stuff they've done already 20 times. You're going to cause player burn out and players will get bored and leave the game. It's counterproductive not having a class change ability at this point. When players aren't having fun they'll go play another game. It's natural for people to get bored of monotony and playing the same class and skills all the time. Boredom is natural but there are solutions and I don't know why some people are so opposed. If you don't want it, don't use it? No need to prevent others from having fun.
    Edited by FelisCatus on December 7, 2023 3:40PM
    Options