Maintenance for the week of May 20:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 20
• NA megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/658773

Would you like the ability to change your class?

• Kisakee
    Kisakee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    AlterBlika wrote: »
    Kisakee wrote: »

Put all skill lines to 0 and reset all skyshards and everything else than can be bought in the crown store including mount training so it's like you would start a fresh new character and i'm okay with class changes. Otherwise still No.

What's the point then

Keeping your character, your professions and research, your motifs, your quests completed and everyhing else that can't be bought through crown store.
    "I don't know who you are, but i will find you and i will rob you." - Liam Thiefsson
    Options
  • M0ntie
    M0ntie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    thorwyn wrote: »

I find it very dismissive to start a poll and then be upset about people not answering the way you want to hear. Some people came up with perfectly valid reasons why class change is NOT a good idea from the game design perspective. As long as you are unable to eliminate those objections, "let us have fun" is not a convincing argument pro class change.
    Also, in my books, roleplaying your characters means that they have some kind of background that can not be *POOF* magically changed, because it "suits the roleplay better".

I am not convinced by any arguments against it because I cannot see how anything raised is more important than letting everyone play how they want. However, I cannot see how I could convince anyone who does think that is a lesser concern otherwise. All I can do is state my opinion, as I have done.

Edit to add: The method of roleplay you have described is no more nor less valid than anyone else's.

"Play as you want" is a line that gets so abused. Using this argument I could say "I want to play so that when I first login I have a fully levelled character with all sets - give it to me ZoS." Also you can play as you want, you just don't want to do the work or pay the money.

If you want the same character but a different class with minimal grinding, do this:
    - buy an appearance change token and check your current characters creation sliders. Exit the appearance change.
    - create a new character of the different class that looks the same.
    - Buy all the skill lines that you want from the crown store.
    - Level the character to 50 which doesn't take long especially with XP scrolls and/or in an event.
    - Buy mount speed etc tokens and level up mount speed.

The point is, you can buy what you need to make the same character again in a different class. Why would ZoS sell you a class change token for any less than it costs to buy all the things already available?
    Options
  • Cooperharley
    Cooperharley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Most No’s in here are personal No’s for their own reasons, but I think the positive thing to do would be to give more options to the players!
    You have more than enough options, you're just not using them. Hint: Alts.
    Who are you to judge how someone wants to play the game? I personally would love it as I only play one character mostly and it’d be nice to switch when I get burnt out on my main to spice things up! Especially when new classes come out and I want to try it but not start absolutely everything over.
    Just because you would like it doesn't mean it would be good for the game. The whole purpose of an MMO is to keep people playing which means to get lots of alt characters to expierence variety. A class change would completely contradict what they want you to do: Play more on other characters. If you're not doing it for whatever reason that's on you, the option is still there.
    The thing is - a token wouldn’t affect anyone who didn’t want to purchase one themselves. It would just open up freedom for people who want it. So saying no is frankly silly in my opinion.
    That's because you don't understand how the system works, a class change would kill the game in the long run plus it would be extremely expensive to make up for all the time/ money you're not spending to level up a new characters and it's skill lines, guilds and everything else.
    I think these posts should be made regularly as they are as it shows something that MANY players do indeed want and have not received yet. The point of the forums is to draw attention to concerns, requests, etc. ZOS may not have had plans for this a year ago or 2 years ago, but that doesn’t mean it’s something they can’t work towards - especially given how many are interested. People getting sick of these posts should keep the same energy then for posts about Necro buffs or Templar support buffs - haven’t done it yet, so might as well stop posting! Right? Of course not.
    The answer is still no and as long as i care for the game it isn't going to change because i want to keep the game running.

#1 - That has nothing to do with that statement lol. I have plenty of alts, but having options with what to do to change a character is a good thing - that's why theres appearance change tokens, race change tokens, alliance change tokens, etc. This is silly lol. Albeit, I'd prefer to have an in-game means to change your appearance like a barber shop for instance.

#2 - You may not play as much with a race change token but for me and MANY others, a class change token would make me play longer. I don't have a desire to really do much on my alts as EVERYTHING - mount training, research, ability to do master writs, zone completion (thousands of hours of content and progression) etc is on my main. Sometimes I get burnt out but I don't feel like doing all that stuff again on an alt - so what do I do? I go play another game. Sure, it's fun here and there for dungeons, but I'd love to continue progression from where I left off with a new class. This token would legit make me play LONGER and is completely contrary to your point. I get what you're saying, but what you say isn't objective in the slightest, so let's not pretend it is.

#3 - A class change token wouldn't kill the game at all. That's very dramatic. I understand that some people wouldn't use it/have a desire to use it - and honestly it'd probably be expensive af, so many wouldn't pay for it. But saying it'd kill the game is just not true dude and that's very silly. Ive got thousands and thousands of hours in the game lol how do I not understand how this would work? A class change token would simply reset class skill lines to zero on a new class and you'd pick up where you left off. People that LOVE alts would continue to use their alts and people like me who want to play primarily a single character would benefit greatly. It's an optional token in the store. There were people that commented stuff like this before alliance change tokens were released. Game is still going lol.

YES - it would be expensive af IF we are assuming ZOS would equate this to all the other things you can purchase in the store. No one would get it if that was the case. Im not arguing about the money side, im arguing about the idea of this. I also personally could care less about how they deal with that as long as it's feasible for us. They make so so so much money off of the players currently - crown crates, the housing community, etc bring in an ungodly amount of money. It'd be a nice show of faith to the players to make this within range of other tokens. Not saying they will (and they most likely won't), but one can only hope.

#4 - For every one of you that thinks the game will die with this, theres a TON of people that would play more and longer with it. Plain and simple. Many no's in this forum post are not because the game is going to die - you're the only one i've seen saying that. Many No's come from people not wanting it personally which is totally fine. Thinking this token would end the game? Come on dude get real lol
    Options
  • Cooperharley
    Cooperharley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    EdjeSwift wrote: »
    FelisCatus wrote: »

Again you also did not read the original post, it's not skipping the game if your main has done everything. Technically buying skillines on crownstore is more of a skip.

No matter how many skill lines you buy from the crown store the one thing you cannot skip is those 50 levels of the class. You can have all 500+ skill points unlocked but you still have to level the class, use the skills and learn how to play the class and character and wait for skills to be unlocked. This is part of the experience of playing a class. Sure that character can have Meteor at level 1 but they won't have their class abilities or even their weapon abilities unlocked. Look, I get it, you love your main and you don't like your alts, if you're that attached to them, you can always recreate them, using all the same variables and come in fresh as a new class, treat it like some Daedric Prince gave you a reset on life.

I've already played all the other classes. I enjoy arcanist but do not want to start all over with research, mount training, every single skyshard, maxed out skill lines/guilds, every motif in the game from sealed writs, etc etc etc that I have on my templar. It has nothing to do with learning a class. I've learned every class. I'd like to pick up progression on a new class.

Think about this in relation to life. This is why I love FF14's system so much. Imagine if you were an engineer at the height of your career, but you wanted the ability to career switch to be in healthcare. You can do that. But imagine if someone said nah, you need to die and be re-incarnated as someone who will go into healthcare, but you have to start completely over. Welcome back to childhood. LOL

I know that doesn't relate to video games but its the premise :P I'd love my character - who is a person in Tamriel, to be able to specialize in a different combat prowess essentially - to learn the ways of a dragonknight if I wanted instead of a templar. I've never understood why this is so difficult to understand. Each character is a collection of experiences. It doesn't have to be tied to a class. If you want it to, fantastic!! Keep it that way!! But people are acting like if there was a token in place available for purchase that their account would be at jeopardy?? Or it would hurt their gameplay?? How does a race change token affect your account? It doesn't - it's there for people that want to use it. Same thing for a class change token.
    Options
  • Cooperharley
    Cooperharley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    ZOS_Icy wrote: »
    Greetings,

This thread has been moved to the Combat & Character Mechanics section, as it is better suited there.

Thank you for your understanding.

Bruh
    Options
  • FelisCatus
    FelisCatus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    ZOS_Icy wrote: »
    Greetings,

This thread has been moved to the Combat & Character Mechanics section, as it is better suited there.

Thank you for your understanding.

As usual suppressing popular demands.
    Options
  • AlterBlika
    AlterBlika
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    M0ntie wrote: »
    If you want the same character but a different class with minimal grinding, do this:
    - buy an appearance change token and check your current characters creation sliders. Exit the appearance change.
    - Level the character to 50 which doesn't take long especially with XP scrolls and/or in an event.

The point is, you can buy what you need to make the same character again in a different class. Why would ZoS sell you a class change token for any less than it costs to buy all the things already available?

Too much to pay for what I've already done
    Options
  • Kisakee
    Kisakee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    AlterBlika wrote: »

Too much to pay for what I've already done

Then go and replay like everyone else.
    "I don't know who you are, but i will find you and i will rob you." - Liam Thiefsson
    Options
  • FelisCatus
    FelisCatus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

I find it very dismissive to start a poll and then be upset about people not answering the way you want to hear. Some people came up with perfectly valid reasons why class change is NOT a good idea from the game design perspective. As long as you are unable to eliminate those objections, "let us have fun" is not a convincing argument pro class change.
    Also, in my books, roleplaying your characters means that they have some kind of background that can not be *POOF* magically changed, because it "suits the roleplay better".

I am not convinced by any arguments against it because I cannot see how anything raised is more important than letting everyone play how they want. However, I cannot see how I could convince anyone who does think that is a lesser concern otherwise. All I can do is state my opinion, as I have done.

Edit to add: The method of roleplay you have described is no more nor less valid than anyone else's.

"Play as you want" is a line that gets so abused. Using this argument I could say "I want to play so that when I first login I have a fully levelled character with all sets - give it to me ZoS." Also you can play as you want, you just don't want to do the work or pay the money.

Yeah but what about quests and all the skill points? Considering how big the game is it could take months. Then you'd be burnt out doing all the quests you've already done.
    Options
  • SmellyUnlimited
    SmellyUnlimited
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Baldur’s Gate 3 had an interesting specialization system, where you could dual-specialize into a level or two from a different class, and obtain the abilities gained from those levels. It would be interesting if a Nightblade decided to study Daedric summoning, and could summon their own version of a pet (not exactly like a Sorcs, but one conducive to a Nightblade). Or something akin to this. But as to the question, I agree that it should be possible. I’m curious though if anyone has calculated the cost of building an alt, then crown storing all skyshards, skill lines, mount trainings, etc. I’m guessing upwards of $200 or so?
    DO. NOT. WIPE. (in game OR out!)
    Options
  • MindOfTheSwarm
    MindOfTheSwarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    What’s the point if I may ask? Just to avoid levelling? That would completely kill the whole reason to have exp scrolls and other bonuses etc.
    Options
  • Kisakee
    Kisakee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

Yeah but what about quests and all the skill points? Considering how big the game is it could take months. Then you'd be burnt out doing all the quests you've already done.

What else are you gonna do if your main character already completed everything and you just switched class on it?
    Options
  • FelisCatus
    FelisCatus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    What’s the point if I may ask? Just to avoid levelling? That would completely kill the whole reason to have exp scrolls and other bonuses etc.

Not at all, it's to avoid having repeat quest grind mainly for skillpoints. Especially if you've done all the quests before multiple times. It takes months.
    Options
  • FelisCatus
    FelisCatus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

What else are you gonna do if your main character already completed everything and you just switched class on it?

Have more fun when I play?! I don't know why it's so difficult for you naysayers to understand.
    Options
  • ESO_CenturionPlayer
    ESO_CenturionPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    the people who want it would be reinvigorated.

the people who don’t would be unaffected.

that’s all that matters at the end of the day. again, it’s a moot point because it will NEVER happen anyway.
    Options
  • Kisakee
    Kisakee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

Not at all, it's to avoid having repeat quest grind mainly for skillpoints. Especially if you've done all the quests before multiple times. It takes months.

Nobody is grinding quests for skill points, that's what Skyshards are for. Takes you a couple days at most to get everything you need.

Have more fun when I play?! I don't know why it's so difficult for you naysayers to understand.

And what exactly are you playing at that point? Repeatable quests where you just told me that you don't want to do the same quests again on another toon?
    Options
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes

Nobody is grinding quests for skill points, that's what Skyshards are for. Takes you a couple days at most to get everything you need.

And what exactly are you playing at that point? Repeatable quests where you just told me that you don't want to do the same quests again on another toon?

so some people, likely a lot of people that play this game more for the rp part in mmorpg instead of just mmo,
    love going through the story with the character they made.
    usually that's one main character for all the big story quests, and side quests.

and this game has 39 zone stories.
    extra quest lines for stuff like balmora, the fighters guild, psijic order, mages guild, all companions(6 so far), and we will continue to get these long very lovely stories.
    so people want to play through future story quests too.
    not just repeatable quests, but sometimes those can be fun too.

however some people, like me, also think the new Arcanist class fits our main character and would love to change their class.
    or want to change it for another one of our characters who we imagined as a necromancer before that class came out perhaps.

if it were a questing character like mine i can't just easily make an arcanist and go through all the story quests like before and have the same character, that would take likely close to a year.

Nobody is grinding quests for skill points yea totally!
    some people like having all the extra dialogue that characters give if you've met them before or someone they're connected to. and people can get attached to their characters if they've been playing with them for years and years. especially if they've taken them through nearly the entire game.

it's probably quite hard for zos to make a class change token to happen, but clearly lots of people want it who have given plenty of reasons for it. so if it ever happens it'll definitely get used.
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
    Options
  • FelisCatus
    FelisCatus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

Nice lmao. You're missing out on a lot skill points if you ain't and I don't know about you but I can't look at an incomplete map it's disgusting.

I play PvP, dungeons, trials? Y'know the usual combat end game? I try to get achievements I don't have, I don't know anyone that repeats months of quests for fun. They're fun the first time around when they're new but repeating them is not fun at all. It's not like the quests have multiple choice endings or replay value. Atleast PvP, and dungeons/trials have replay value.
    Edited by FelisCatus on December 10, 2023 2:54AM
    Options
  • M0ntie
    M0ntie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    <removed previous quote>
    .....The point is, you can buy what you need to make the same character again in a different class. Why would ZoS sell you a class change token for any less than it costs to buy all the things already available?
    ================
    =============
    In case you haven't noticed, there are now account wide achievements. And you can buy zone skyshards in the crown store

Again, my point is why would ZoS sell you a class change token for any less than it costs to buy all the things already available?
    Options
  • KS_Amt38
    KS_Amt38
    ✭✭✭
    No
    I have 14 characters, I couldnt care less about class change.
    Options
  • Kisakee
    Kisakee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

Nice lmao. You're missing out on a lot skill points if you ain't and I don't know about you but I can't look at an incomplete map it's disgusting.

I play PvP, dungeons, trials? Y'know the usual combat end game? I try to get achievements I don't have, I don't know anyone that repeats months of quests for fun. They're fun the first time around when they're new but repeating them is not fun at all. It's not like the quests have multiple choice endings or replay value. Atleast PvP, and dungeons/trials have replay value.

If you get all the Skyshards available you'll have way more skillpoints than you could ever need, there's no need to play a single story mission to get those. I have 19 characters, i grinded Undaunted on all of them, 17 of them have Legerdemain at max and i collected thousands and thousands of Skyshards over the years. All my toons are fully fleshed out, have their own complete golden gear and everything and i'm doing endgame stuff myself. Guess what i barely did on any but one of those toons? Playing story missions for skillpoints.
    Options
  • FelisCatus
    FelisCatus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    <removed previous quote>
    .....The point is, you can buy what you need to make the same character again in a different class. Why would ZoS sell you a class change token for any less than it costs to buy all the things already available?
    ================
    =============
    In case you haven't noticed, there are now account wide achievements. And you can buy zone skyshards in the crown store

Again, my point is why would ZoS sell you a class change token for any less than it costs to buy all the things already available?

Not everyone will buy all skill lines and skyshards or all the training books for mounts. Some people don't need that or can't afford it but I'm sure most people would find buying a class change token more reasonable.
    Options
  • Kisakee
    Kisakee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    <removed previous quote>
    ================
    =============

Not everyone will buy all skill lines and skyshards or all the training books for mounts. Some people don't need that or can't afford it but I'm sure most people would find buying a class change token more reasonable.

So how about variable costs then: You'll get your token for the price of a new character slot but have to pay extra for everything you completely unlocked on that specific character that can be bought through crown store. Got the Skyshards in 13 zones? You'll have to pay for all of them. Have Excavation maxed out? Gotta pay for that. Your mount is maxed out? Pay for all those Riding Lessons.

This way you're paying the price someone else would pay for getting a fresh toon to the point where they let another one off. Sounds fair?
    Options
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Class change would be the best way to ensure that classes are more or less on the same power level as players would switch to whatever class is the meta right now. And ZOS would nerf what is the most popular thing etc - till it is hard to say what is the most popular class. It would also help to reduce "anecdotal" nerf/buff request (when a player "thinks" that something requires changes, but they have not played as said class, and only against it etc.)
    Options
  • FelisCatus
    FelisCatus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    <removed previous quote>
    ================
    =============

So how about variable costs then: You'll get your token for the price of a new character slot but have to pay extra for everything you completely unlocked on that specific character that can be bought through crown store. Got the Skyshards in 13 zones? You'll have to pay for all of them. Have Excavation maxed out? Gotta pay for that. Your mount is maxed out? Pay for all those Riding Lessons.

This way you're paying the price someone else would pay for getting a fresh toon to the point where they let another one off. Sounds fair?

Why should I have to pay for all of the skill lines/skyshards and mount training when I already have it unlocked on my main? All I want is to change my class which is 3 skill lines. I don't need to buy all the other stuff. Your point doesn't really make sense.

That's like saying I have to spend as much as the customer at the checkout in front of me. When he's buying his weekly groceries and I'm only buying a sandwich. It doesn't make sense.

If you want to go waste your money on skill lines and skyshards and riding lessons that's on you but that's not what I want to buy. What I want to buy is a class change token. So I don't really see your point.

You honestly come across as spiteful or psychotic, I'm not sure which but probably both.
    Edited by FelisCatus on December 11, 2023 7:20PM
    Options
  • ESO_CenturionPlayer
    ESO_CenturionPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I don’t understand on what grounds people are so rabidly against class change tokens if they themselves have no intention of using one.

Offering the token would in no way change your gameplay and would enhance the gameplay of many others.
    Options
  • FelisCatus
    FelisCatus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I don’t understand on what grounds people are so rabidly against class change tokens if they themselves have no intention of using one.

Offering the token would in no way change your gameplay and would enhance the gameplay of many others.

I think they don't want one out of spite. They had to struggle and waste money on alts (that they choose to do mind you no one forced them) and now they expect everyone else to feel their pain too. Which is not only grossly irresponsible (encouraging others to waste days/months of their lives and hundreds if not thousands of money) but very un-empathetic. It does make me wonder if they'd be better playing a solo game rather than a game with others if they come across so anti-social.
    Options
  • ESO_CenturionPlayer
    ESO_CenturionPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes

I think they don't want one out of spite. They had to struggle and waste money on alts (that they choose to do mind you no one forced them) and now they expect everyone else to feel their pain too. Which is not only grossly irresponsible (encouraging others to waste days/months of their lives and hundreds if not thousands of money) but very un-empathetic. It does make me wonder if they'd be better playing a solo game rather than a game with others if they come across so anti-social.

I agree. I am CP 2700, over 4000 hours in game, with 10 fully leveled characters. I probably spent several 100’s of dollars if not 1000’s over the past few years.

I would still love to see a class change token because I severely loathe the class on my main. Even with account wide achievements, starting a “new main“ is not the same.

Arguments against the class change token are completely nonsensical. The only legitimate argument is logistics and I am skeptical it would be that difficult to implement.
    Options
  • FelisCatus
    FelisCatus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

I agree. I am CP 2700, over 4000 hours in game, with 10 fully leveled characters. I probably spent several 100’s of dollars if not 1000’s over the past few years.

I would still love to see a class change token because I severely loathe the class on my main. Even with account wide achievements, starting a “new main“ is not the same.

Arguments against the class change token are completely nonsensical. The only legitimate argument is logistics and I am skeptical it would be that difficult to implement.

Which class is your main out of curiosity?
    Options
  • Cooperharley
    Cooperharley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    <removed previous quote>
    ================
    =============

[snip]

I’ve got thousands and thousands of hours and dollars invested in the game. There is no logical reason why subjectively someone wouldn’t want one. As others have said, it’s only logistical reasons.

I’ve already unlocked all the stuff you’ve said on my main - why would I pay for something I’ve already unlocked? A class change token changes 3 class skill lines. I’m confused (very confused) what you’re talking about?

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on December 12, 2023 6:50PM
    Options