The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Phantom Mail Bug ...

Eliran
Eliran
✭✭✭✭✭
I just returned to ESO and encountered a very annoying bug ...

It shows as if I have 2 unread mails but I do not have them ..

So far I've tried to reloadui, relog, disable all addons, repair game, log another character and what not!

What do I do? thanks!

3ixchb24dn97.png
Edited by ZOS_Bill on April 11, 2021 5:46PM
  • UmniiVenik
    Eliran wrote: »

So far I've tried to reloadui, relog, disable all addons, repair game, log another character and what not!

What do I do? thanks!

3ixchb24dn97.png

Same issue. And my mail box should be full, because i didn't opened mails from Hirelings Crafting passive more than 2 months.
  • Berchelous
    Berchelous
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm having the same issue too. Help pls
  • Denyiir
    Denyiir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Same problem here. I came back after long break and all my old mails are gone, my inbox seems to be empty but can't receive any new mails.
  • TheFalcon19
    TheFalcon19
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, same issue.

My mailbox was full and had a huge backlog of pvp mails from the last midyear mayhem that I gave up on opening and was waiting for the 30 day deletion to get rid of them. Ever since they were deleted a week ago my inbox shows as empty and I'm not getting any new mails, no hirelings, no guild store purchases and no random dungeon rewards.

My theory is that the system that tracks and send you your mail backlog when you free up space doesn't know about the automatic deletion and/or only checks for empty space when you manualy delete mail and is waiting for you to delete the mails that doesn't exist anymore.
  • melfreeman
    melfreeman
    ✭✭
    I gotta add to this cause I just came back yesterday after being gone for a month and I am not getting any of my hireling mails nothing!
  • Elana
    Elana
    ✭✭✭
    I've returned a few days ago after a looooong break and I have the same issue with my mail: 7 unread messages that are nowehere to be found.
    A few people in this topic have declared that they are returning players, so perhaps those are old mails that we had? I don't know when the change to the mail system (the player/system split) was implemented but I last played long before that, so I guess it could be that?

I am getting my hireling mail as intended, though.
    Elana Aelios
    "Because I have loved life, I shall have no sorrow to die."
  • DragonRacer
    DragonRacer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Elana wrote: »
    I've returned a few days ago after a looooong break and I have the same issue with my mail: 7 unread messages that are nowehere to be found.
    A few people in this topic have declared that they are returning players, so perhaps those are old mails that we had? I don't know when the change to the mail system (the player/system split) was implemented but I last played long before that, so I guess it could be that?

I am getting my hireling mail as intended, though.

The mail system was changed with Update 29, which hit PC on March 9th and console on March 16th. The change put a 30-day expiration limit on all mails, including any old mails players had been archiving for sentimental reasons, etc.
    PS5 NA. GM of The PTK's - a free trading guild (CP 500+). Also a werewolf, bites are free when they're available. PSN = DragonRacer13
  • ZOS_Adrikoth
    ZOS_Adrikoth
    admin
    Thanks for all of your reports folks. We wanted to let you know that we are aware of this issue and investigating. We are also investigating an issue where attachments are going missing with a UI error. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
    The Elder Scrolls Online - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • BenevolentBowd
    BenevolentBowd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eliran wrote: »

What do I do? thanks!

3ixchb24dn97.png

They changed the mail system during the last update where any unread messages (including any special rewards or old collection set rewards) were purged. The first 30 day mail purges was around April 6-7th, 2021 on PC.
    Megaservers: PC NA / EU (sometimes) Xbox NA (sometimes)
    Luxury Furniture Gallery [PC/NA]: Moon-Sugar Meadow
    Website:BenevolentBowd.ca, "Sharing My Notes With the World to Help Others"
    Charity:#GivingTheNewMeta
    ESO Calendarmancer: http://benevolentbowd.ca/calendar (10+ timezones to choose from)
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/BenevolentBowd
    #TeamStackableTreasureMaps
  • Mystic_D
    Mystic_D
    Soul Shriven
    Yep, same issue but in my case it doesn't even show that you even got a mail it's all empty. And an interesting thing I found out is that for me this is happening only on EU mega server on NA mega server it's fine I'm getting mails there.
  • johnebrown
    johnebrown
    ✭✭✭
    Mystic_D wrote: »
    Yep, same issue but in my case it doesn't even show that you even got a mail it's all empty. And an interesting thing I found out is that for me this is happening only on EU mega server on NA mega server it's fine I'm getting mails there.

It is happening on the US server too. I have several accounts on the US server and the one I use all the time seems fine, but the ones I only use to store stuff and don't log onto to that often are have the issue discussed above. Additionally, on at least one of them, I cannot send mail to it as it says the mailbox is full, even though there I have no way of emptying the mailbox.

*sigh*

• Mystic_D
    Mystic_D
    Soul Shriven
    johnebrown wrote: »

It is happening on the US server too. I have several accounts on the US server and the one I use all the time seems fine, but the ones I only use to store stuff and don't log onto to that often are have the issue discussed above. Additionally, on at least one of them, I cannot send mail to it as it says the mailbox is full, even though there I have no way of emptying the mailbox.

*sigh*

Yeah I thought this problem is only happening with people who don't play regularly or the character that they don't play on often but had some mails stored up which got deleted by the system but I tested this theory and created a new character and same thing happened, so now I have no clue as to why this may be happening.
  • johnebrown
    johnebrown
    ✭✭✭

*sigh*

Yeah I thought this problem is only happening with people who don't play regularly or the character that they don't play on often but had some mails stored up which got deleted by the system but I tested this theory and created a new character and same thing happened, so now I have no clue as to why this may be happening.

It's not the character, it's the account. Did you create a new account and then it still happened?
    I have a few (yeah I'm a nut) *regular* accounts I play on most days & at least once every several days and I've have no problems on those accounts, regardless of the amount of mail, which sometimes is a lot.
  • Mystic_D
    Mystic_D
    Soul Shriven

*sigh*

It's not the character, it's the account. Did you create a new account and then it still happened?
    I have a few (yeah I'm a nut) *regular* accounts I play on most days & at least once every several days and I've have no problems on those accounts, regardless of the amount of mail, which sometimes is a lot.

No I didn't created a new account just created a new character in the same account, if the problem is account wide then my NA character should've been having same issue and it's been around a year since I opened that one but it seems just fine. Hm interesting, meaning we all have the same core issue but with different variations of it.
  • johnebrown
    johnebrown
    ✭✭✭

*sigh*

No I didn't created a new account just created a new character in the same account, if the problem is account wide then my NA character should've been having same issue and it's been around a year since I opened that one but it seems just fine. Hm interesting, meaning we all have the same core issue but with different variations of it.

Yeah, you can't send mail from / receive mail to a specific character, it's always account wide and uses the account address, like @deathbird.
  • johnebrown
    johnebrown
    ✭✭✭
    Does anybody know what our actual inbox/mailbox size currently is? I can't find it stated anywhere.
  • melfreeman
    melfreeman
    ✭✭
    Does anybody know what our actual inbox/mailbox size currently is? I can't find it stated anywhere.

I have never seen this listed anywhere and I have had my account since the game was in alpha. I only have the one account, but I have max characters and 3 with max professions and have not gotten a single fricken hireling mail and I logged into all of my toons to check. I haven't even gotten any guild mails or anything in the last 3 days since I logged back in and redid ESO Plus! This is getting so fricken frustrating!
  • Eliran
    Eliran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So many bugs, I already feel bad coming back, I cant even quest properly ...
  • Hempa
    Hempa
    ✭✭
    The limit was 60 as mentioned in https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/393236/mail-limit-size (don't know if they changed it over the years but I doubt it, especially since I had my mailbox filled at about 60 mails for the last few years^^)

Anyway, I created another bugreport with a slightly different topic, but probably the same reason at: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/570083/cannot-receive-mails-from-other-players-mail-box-is-full
  • Jasonjobs8060b16_ESO
    Jasonjobs8060b16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks for all of your reports folks. We wanted to let you know that we are aware of this issue and investigating. We are also investigating an issue where attachments are going missing with a UI error. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Any idea as to when this investigation will bear fruit? It wouldn't be as big an issue if the mail system, alongside the "market" systems, weren't already a mess. As it is, it's impossible to use the market or hirelings with this issue. So much gold lost to this problem and no aid provided via the tickets.
  • johnebrown
    johnebrown
    ✭✭✭
    Hempa wrote: »
    The limit was 60 as mentioned in https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/393236/mail-limit-size (don't know if they changed it over the years but I doubt it, especially since I had my mailbox filled at about 60 mails for the last few years^^)

Anyway, I created another bugreport with a slightly different topic, but probably the same reason at: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/570083/cannot-receive-mails-from-other-players-mail-box-is-full

Yeah, that sounds much like me. There are some oddities that just annoy the heck of of me. I have a few storage accounts that really only get mail from me. So I pretty much know what is being sent there, and when I log in & see "MAIL IS FULL...." and it says there are 32 messages??? And I cannot read them, delete them or receive any more mail - sender (me) gets "Recipient's inbox is full". Odd because I thought the limit was 60 mails at least. Even more irritating is I know some of those messages are definitely less than 30 days old.

I'm sure it has something to do with some mail being older than 30 days as they are supposedly enforcing that now differently, but are they going to hold my other mail from me until it too is older than 30 days so they can purge it? What are they doing?

*sigh*
  • melfreeman
    melfreeman
    ✭✭
    I only have 11 messages in mine that it says I have but somehow can't read, so my box is def not full.
  • quickblade418
    quickblade418
    ✭✭✭
    same issue here , returning player, had probably 100+ pending mails from before I quit. Now it shows my mail (1) but it's empty and I can't receive any mail at all currently, please fix
    NA PC

EP
    - Ishkashi - Magplar
    - Orchish - Stamplar
    - Amerikan Knight - Stam DK
    - Déàth - Mag DK
    - Psychic Venom - Mag NB
    - Made in Quebec - Stam NB
    - Death'inately not Dëäth - Stamden

DC
    - Dëàth - Mag DK
    - Death-îsh - Magden

AD
    - Lìfe - Magden
    - Déäth - Mag DK
  • Mystic_D
    Mystic_D
    Soul Shriven
    Did anyone else's bug got fixed in this maintenance patch, mine is still bugged.
  • melfreeman
    melfreeman
    ✭✭
    Did anyone else's bug got fixed in this maintenance patch, mine is still bugged.

Nope mine has not been fixed. I have now been able to receive mail from other players and my hireling mail, but it still says (11) and when I open it nothing is shown that needs to be read or deleted.......
  • Denyiir
    Denyiir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Still bugged, It's game-breaking to me tbh...
  • quickblade418
    quickblade418
    ✭✭✭
    It is game breaking , I can't buy anything off vendors, no one can send me any mail or cod, I do not even receive my pvp rewards at all , like comon fix it already please !
    NA PC

EP
    - Ishkashi - Magplar
    - Orchish - Stamplar
    - Amerikan Knight - Stam DK
    - Déàth - Mag DK
    - Psychic Venom - Mag NB
    - Made in Quebec - Stam NB
    - Death'inately not Dëäth - Stamden

DC
    - Dëàth - Mag DK
    - Death-îsh - Magden

AD
    - Lìfe - Magden
    - Déäth - Mag DK
  • LOrdCarL
    LOrdCarL
    Finally I found a thread that has the same issue as mine. This is definitely game breaking and should be addressed on the patch asap.. this is preventing me from playing I was already planning on subscribing again to ESO+ after a year of not playing then I encountered this bug.
  • Dontezz
    Dontezz
    ✭✭✭
    I am a returning player from 5+ yrs ago.. I have been dealing with this since I came back over a week ago. I'm just glad I'm not the only one with no mail on any character at all... :)
  • Dontezz
    Dontezz
    ✭✭✭
    and they reset my name to some BS I can't change...

edit, after a suggestion from another member they changed it back.. Wish they would fix the Mail System this fast...
    Edited by Dontezz on April 22, 2021 5:59PM