The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

For the love of PVP, ZOS please nerf the Unkillable tank/2H Build Meta

• FakeZavos
    FakeZavos
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can't just change heavy armor passives without any compensation. Remember that ZoS stubbornly refuses to balance PvE and PvP separately, so by changes to heavy armor passives you would need to give PvE tanks something in return. For example, taking away Constitution passive and replacing it with some defensive bs would be great change for PvP but will cripple PvE tanks and what's worse, it would have much greater impact on non-DK tanks.

PvP and PvE are two worlds of EQUAL IMPORTANCE. ZoS refuses to balance them separately and doesn't seem to change it's opinion anytime soon. We must deal with it, therefore, under these circumstances I (and many others) will never support an idea that is focused one world but will negatively impact the second.

The thing is. He keeps calling it heavy passives while he means set bonusses. Even though most of the players he is complaining about are just strong builds but most of the time in medium or light. OP really has no idea what he is talking about.
    Why do I even try
  • Nyladreas
    Nyladreas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can't just change heavy armor passives without any compensation. Remember that ZoS stubbornly refuses to balance PvE and PvP separately, so by changes to heavy armor passives you would need to give PvE tanks something in return. For example, taking away Constitution passive and replacing it with some defensive bs would be great change for PvP but will cripple PvE tanks and what's worse, it would have much greater impact on non-DK tanks.

PvP and PvE are two worlds of EQUAL IMPORTANCE. ZoS refuses to balance them separately and doesn't seem to change it's opinion anytime soon. We must deal with it, therefore, under these circumstances I (and many others) will never support an idea that is focused one world but will negatively impact the second.

You don't have to change any passives to nerf heavy. We have battle spirit to introduce limitations to how tanks and attributes in pvp behave.

All these can be added: cost increases, reduced effectiveness, use limitation, external cooldowns, integrated class skill tuning, ability behavior etc. Etc.

You can change pvp balance without ever touching a single skill. Period.

People just don't think.
    Edited by Nyladreas on December 12, 2019 10:23AM
  • TheFM
    TheFM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Xzysts wrote: »
    TheFM wrote: »
    @TheFM Yes, that is true about the DoTs vs Burst. But with DoTs you literally do nothing but apply it and wait for them to die. That is not fun nor is it skillful...

It is a different type of skill, you apply your dots then you have to survive, and if you build wrong your dots will do squat, or you wont be able to enough damage for it to be worth it if you dont stay alive, its a balancing act. I have never seen a community be so up in arms about the dot playstyle as in this game anywhere. In mmos there has ALWAYS been dot builds, and burst builds, and apparently dot is taboo and burst is holy in this game.

because I think the DoT builds arent nearly as skilled, plus nobody really had the ability to purify or heal through them other than select classes? you can heal through, dodge roll, and/or block burst? cant dodge roll a bleed effect, flame DoT you name it that has already been applied to you. I dont know burst requires timed skill and consistent attacking. DoTs kinda just force them onto Defense the whole time and like I said, you cant get those off of you etc

I could heal through the dot son my light and medium armor builds no issue, and im running some pretty basic setups. People just got triggered cuz they were finally being killed when they werent used to it imo. Why is it ok for magicka classes to have to use all their stam to dodge, block etc, and not ok for stam classes to use purges to use all their magicka? Its a MASSIVE double standard. You have about 10 seconds to respond to dots, you have 1 to respond to burst.
  • CompM4s
    CompM4s
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the joy of kiting around 5-10 players around a tower for 5 minutes is fun after the ult dump combo that kills them. Its even better when they come to the forums and complain, It further makes me enjoy x’ing them in the future.

Even better, I like watching other people fall into the trap of trying to “zerg” one player and immediately blow up when they turn around.
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @TheFM Yes, that is true about the DoTs vs Burst. But with DoTs you literally do nothing but apply it and wait for them to die. That is not fun nor is it skillful...

It is a different type of skill, you apply your dots then you have to survive, and if you build wrong your dots will do squat, or you wont be able to enough damage for it to be worth it if you dont stay alive, its a balancing act. I have never seen a community be so up in arms about the dot playstyle as in this game anywhere. In mmos there has ALWAYS been dot builds, and burst builds, and apparently dot is taboo and burst is holy in this game.

because I think the DoT builds arent nearly as skilled, plus nobody really had the ability to purify or heal through them other than select classes? you can heal through, dodge roll, and/or block burst? cant dodge roll a bleed effect, flame DoT you name it that has already been applied to you. I dont know burst requires timed skill and consistent attacking. DoTs kinda just force them onto Defense the whole time and like I said, you cant get those off of you etc

I could heal through the dot son my light and medium armor builds no issue, and im running some pretty basic setups. People just got triggered cuz they were finally being killed when they werent used to it imo. Why is it ok for magicka classes to have to use all their stam to dodge, block etc, and not ok for stam classes to use purges to use all their magicka? Its a MASSIVE double standard. You have about 10 seconds to respond to dots, you have 1 to respond to burst.

Ye because stamina classes doesn't use magicka for utility......
  • StaticWave
    StaticWave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I rock 6.4k weapon damage, 30k max stam, and 33k resist fully buffed in medium armor. Does that make me a tank?

Also please double check heavy armor passives and point out to me one single passive that boosts your damage. I will gladly give you 1 million in-game gold if you can do so.
    Platform:
    PC NA

Main:
    Static Wave - AD stamsorc

• Shaloknir
    Shaloknir
    ✭✭✭
    StaticWave wrote: »
    I rock 6.4k weapon damage, 30k max stam, and 33k resist fully buffed in medium armor. Does that make me a tank?

Also please double check heavy armor passives and point out to me one single passive that boosts your damage. I will gladly give you 1 million in-game gold if you can do so.

The amount of resists does actually make you very hard to kill, a Tank. Also your weapon damage makes you a very strong dps. This makes me wonder if resists are too easy to achieve?

Healing and resists should be looked at. I would do something like this:

1) set bonuses should be depended of armor weight, less damage and more resists for heavy, more damage, less resist on medium etc. (this would affect crafted sets too, this is important)
    2) armor weight should affect character speed (considerably, lets say light armor is a baseline, medium should be 1,5x and heavy 0,5x)
    3) armor weight should play a bigger role in resistances, one way to achieve this is rework of armor values. Also maximum resistance should be higher and more difficult to achieve (like 40k)
    4) healing should be modified in pvp areas to reflect the DOT change (no change needed outside PVP, this means balancing PVP separately from PVE)
    5) Armor passives should be reworked to give better bonuses and widen the gap between armor weights
    Edited by Shaloknir on December 12, 2019 1:45PM
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will echo what many have said here, and point out that OP has incorrectly identified why these bills are "unkillable".

Line of sight, speed, recovery and CP combined with well timed and executed burst once ulti is ready - this is what OP is encountering.

People who specifically engage in this play style have essentially found a mini game within Cyrodiil. Players who spend 5 minutes chasing them in circles are what make the mini game possible. It's not heavy armor, it's not two handed skills, it's zerglings' fixation on killing a particular target. No healthy nerfs could counter this play style. So unless you can coordinate a burst with other people, or engage one of these players in the open, don't be a fixated zergling and ignore them.

Or play NoCP.
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LoS, Dodge roll, & vigor... causing nerf threads since 2014.
    "Stendarr's mercy be upon you, for the vigil has none to spare."
  • KCC11
    KCC11

The point is to predict burst and respond preemptively. This is where experience comes into play and where the skill of the game used to be at knowing the matchups and coming up with an effective strategy to win. The DoT meta was terrible just apply DoTs and wait for your opponent to burn resources trying to heal through them and the classes with the strongest heals/survivability wins otherwise known as Templars, magsorcs, and DKs. And you'd have a point with purge if there wasn't only 1 available and if it didn't cost 5k mag (while in 5 light) so probably 6 if in medium making it impractical.
  • TheFM
    TheFM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    KCC11 wrote: »

The point is to predict burst and respond preemptively. This is where experience comes into play and where the skill of the game used to be at knowing the matchups and coming up with an effective strategy to win. The DoT meta was terrible just apply DoTs and wait for your opponent to burn resources trying to heal through them and the classes with the strongest heals/survivability wins otherwise known as Templars, magsorcs, and DKs. And you'd have a point with purge if there wasn't only 1 available and if it didn't cost 5k mag (while in 5 light) so probably 6 if in medium making it impractical.

And how many times can most mag builds roll? Exactly. There is a huge favouritism towards Stam builds and burst builds in this game, and your replies just mirrors that. Slowly die over 10 seconds, where you have plenty of time to react , unacceptable, die instantly, where a lot of the time you can't even react because of a quarter second to a second lag on everything, totally cool.
  • TheFM
    TheFM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Qbiken wrote: »

Ye because stamina classes doesn't use magicka for utility......

Everyone always tells ag to use a little more Stam, well, you could do the same but with mag, like I said, it's a double standard
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And how many times can most mag builds roll? Exactly. There is a huge favouritism towards Stam builds and burst builds in this game, and your replies just mirrors that. Slowly die over 10 seconds, where you have plenty of time to react , unacceptable, die instantly, where a lot of the time you can't even react because of a quarter second to a second lag on everything, totally cool.

Don't tell me magDK or magsorc lack burst... or that magplar or magden were weak in last N patches. Magblade and magcro - yes this 2 direly need a buff or a change how their abilities function.
  • TheFM
    TheFM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Don't tell me magDK or magsorc lack burst... or that magplar or magden were weak in last N patches. Magblade and magcro - yes this 2 direly need a buff or a change how their abilities function.

I think you quoted the wrong person, I didn't even mention classes specifically, I'm talking about burst v dots atm. Not any class in particular. Anyway my point was clearly demonstrated, and this is getting off topic.
    Edited by TheFM on December 12, 2019 3:40PM
  • pieratsos
    pieratsos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    FakeZavos wrote: »
    pieratsos wrote: »
    People were dying to bleed dmg, oblivion dmg and defiles... So forums were like: NERF THOSE BECOUSE THEY KILL ME...

Well it just so happens that bleed dmg, WW, oblivion dmg, defile... were direct counter to tanks...

To me this is hilarious. Becouse people complain now that they dont have caunters to tanks...
    Well maybe, just maybe if you (you as if the forum nerf-callers) did not "call for nerfs" this much you could still use those ?
    Anyway, this is how short-sighted aproach and blindly calling for nerfs ends. With a broken combat-ecosystem...

Short sighted is the perfect description I would use for ur approach that bleeds and oblivion dmg counter the tank meta. And an approach like urs is most definitely a part of that broken combat ecosystem.

But he is right...

No he is not. Oblivion damage and bleeds were actually hurting normal medium/light builds much more than the heavy tanks which is the exact opposite of how it should work. Defiles also hurt normal builds without excessive healing much more than the extreme healing builds. You confuse the OP nature of those mechanics with being direct counters to the extreme builds. The irony is that only those extreme builds were the most suited to combat those mechanics.

They were doing prety much the exact opposite of their intended target. So no they were not direct counters. They were just OP and in the case of oblivion damage specifically, not just OP but broken and shortsighted is a very polite word that i would use to describe the approach of using such a dumb mechanic as a counter to prety much anything.
    Edited by pieratsos on December 12, 2019 3:58PM
  • Zer0_CooL
    Zer0_CooL
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't tell me magDK or magsorc lack burst...

Don't tell me you're one of those who consider leap an execute. Molten whip proc is kind of burst, but nothing compared to sorc or templar who bothe have a ranged execute. We're leaving the original topic here, but hig burst damage is not the MagDk's strength.
    Edited by Zer0_CooL on December 12, 2019 3:58PM
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zer0_CooL wrote: »

Don't tell me you're one of those who consider leap an execute. Molten whip proc is kind of burst, but nothing compared to sorc or templar who bothe have a ranged execute. We're leaving the original topic here, but hig burst damage is not the MagDk's strength.

Well, magDK is more of dots+burst, but leap+whip is really often used as an "execute" after fossilize (against me). I mostly play stamDK with 4-5k hps HoT and magplar/magden can't outdps it, while magDK and magsorc can. Also stamplars now often don't use executioner and just time onslaught with consequent jabs and potl explosion. So sometimes burst comes without actual execute but with abilities which hit hard as an execute.
    Back to the topic - my reply was that magicka classes more then fit for "resource tower running" and it's not purely stamina capability.
  • StaticWave
    StaticWave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Shaloknir wrote: »

The amount of resists does actually make you very hard to kill, a Tank. Also your weapon damage makes you a very strong dps. This makes me wonder if resists are too easy to achieve?

1) set bonuses should be depended of armor weight, less damage and more resists for heavy, more damage, less resist on medium etc. (this would affect crafted sets too, this is important)
    2) armor weight should affect character speed (considerably, lets say light armor is a baseline, medium should be 1,5x and heavy 0,5x)
    3) armor weight should play a bigger role in resistances, one way to achieve this is rework of armor values. Also maximum resistance should be higher and more difficult to achieve (like 40k)
    4) healing should be modified in pvp areas to reflect the DOT change (no change needed outside PVP, this means balancing PVP separately from PVE)
    5) Armor passives should be reworked to give better bonuses and widen the gap between armor weights

Resist is definitely very easy to achieve this patch, and you can do so without needing any resist-buff sets like fortified brass or pariah. By race changing to nord, you've effectively gained 4k more resistances by simply existing. That puts your resistances in line with most heavy armor dps builds . Drink a resist potion, and you've gained another 5k. Use SnB back bar, and you've gained another 2k resistances. Add all of that up, you should be sitting at roughly 30k resistances in medium armor on your SnB bar. Now add in a monster set like bloodspawn that gives 6k more resistances, and you're at 36k, which is 3k over the cap. At that point, it is far more beneficial to be in medium armor which offers 15% weapon damage boost, stamina skill cost reduction, dodgeroll/sprint cost reduction, recovery, etc, and use 2 offensive sets to maximize damage output. The final result is a build that achieves the highest resistances and damage possible.

That's theory-crafting, that's min-maxing, and that's what the OP clearly lacks. If he had actually done a bit of theory crafting himself, or put aside his ego and asked the players whom he's having troubles killing to tell him what they are wearing, he'd definitely learn something new and maybe improve his game play.

Edited by StaticWave on December 12, 2019 4:49PM
    Platform:
    PC NA

Main:
    Static Wave - AD stamsorc

• Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's this guy on PS4 (no name/shame) who usually plays sorc, but I ran into him playing stamblade just yesterday.

This guy had 5 or 6 players on him in open field using nothing but cloak. He roll dodged, endlessly used cloak, broke free within a second, heal spammed, (seriously, his health never went below 50%) all while seemingly never running out of resources and having seemingly permanent CC immunity since fear/stun/and even permafrost didn't seem to slow him down at all..if he did get caught in something, he almost immediately broke free in less than ¹/² a second. All this while literally moving like the wind at max sprint speed and hitting like a mack truck while getting hit with a feather in return...seemingly.

I want to know THAT build, please.

(Edit: I did ask and was promptly told to f-off. This person was on my faction, note...not an opponent)

Anyone who can explain moving super fast, endless resources to cloak, heal, and roll dodge, all while still hitting like a freight train and taking almost no damage in return?
    Build literally had it all. Tanky/heals/damage/damage mitigation/endless resources.....what's the build?
    Edited by Kel on December 12, 2019 6:57PM
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i play only noCP and i can confirm that here too are thanks that are unkillable, either 1v1 or Xv1, but will kill you either 1v1 or 1vX. There are sets and mechanics that permit one to go full tank and full offensive for a time, and since the game doesn't offer you that information, they will use it to their advantage
    -PC EU- / battlegrounds on my youtube
  • Roztlin45
    Roztlin45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EIGHTS wrote: »
    Remove animation cancel. Half of the problems will get solved.

This 100%
  • Curious_Death
    Curious_Death
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO MORE NERFS !!! JUST BUFF MEDIUM AND LIGHT penetration bonus... that will impact tank pvp builds !
    NO MORE NERFS
  • p00tx
    p00tx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    nk125x wrote: »

General changes
    1: Nerf the healing - You nerfed most of the damage.

I was with you until this. PvE exists and this would ruin tanking.
    Edited by p00tx on December 12, 2019 10:52PM
    PC/Xbox NA Mindmender|Swashbuckler Supreme|Planes Breaker|Dawnbringer|Godslayer|Immortal Redeemer|Gryphon Heart|Tick-tock Tormentor|Dro-m'Athra Destroyer|Stormproof|Grand Overlord|Grand Mastercrafter|Master Grappler|Tamriel Hero
  • ZOS_GregoryV
    Greetings all,

After removing a few posts we would like to remind everyone that Baiting, as well as derailing the thread, are both against the rules that we have in place. Also, when creating a post, one should be sure to keep it civil and constructive, and within the guidelines of the rules. If there may be any questions in regards to said rules, please feel free to take a few moments to review them here.

Thank you for your understanding,
    -Greg-
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Kalante
    Kalante
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who here takes pvp serious? I've never had never will. ESO is the most unbalanced uncompetitive game in existence.
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Shaloknir wrote: »

I’ve run into Static Wave. He’s theorycrafted his build. Tested the crap out of it dueling and such. In short, he’s actually taken the time to learn to play the game.

Nerfs ain’t the answer. Being at max resists is only 50% mitigation. I’m sure he’s gonna have some % damage reduction in there too. Some HOTs going.

The thing is, if YOU don’t run damage and pen you’re really not gonna have any kind of chance against players of Static’s caliber. He’s put in the time. You haven’t.
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Zer0_CooL wrote: »

Leap is a great execute if you run DAMAGE. Any skill is. DAMAGE is your execute.

Incidentally I leapt some crappy streamer the other day who rolled around a corner into me and some dummies by a ram. I recognized and don’t like the fool so I leap/flame lashed the fool.

Now this dummy runs a tank build, DW Brp, that pirate monster head thing, swaps out Potentates whatever. Anyway I noticed my flame lash hit higher than this other DK’s molten lol. Cause I run damage AND pen lol. He looked at his recap and was like “ahhh f!”
    Edited by JumpmanLane on December 12, 2019 9:53PM
  • oxygen_thief
    oxygen_thief
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nerf sorcs too!
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It killed me! Nerf it!

I can’t kill it! Nerf it!

😑

• ayu_fever
    ayu_fever
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    in pve NO ONE wants to tank so lets just nerf all about tanks into oblivion and in pve lets all get 100% guaranteed fake tanks in dungeons and then come on forums and cry about that too!

ESO IS A PVE GAME!!!! DEAL WITH IT!!!

whiny pvp crybabies are why pve cant have nice things.

pvp and pvp players ARE NOT THE CONCERN AND FOCUS of this game.

you want to pvp? go play fortnite and call of duty.
    PS4 NA

all characters are members of the ebonheart pact master race
    BLOOD FOR THE PACT

main character:
    Rebekah Straight-Fire, breton templar healer: THE FATEBRINGER (dungeons, trials, pvp)
    —MERIDIA’S LUSTRANT— 1100+CP; alliance rank 21 (major grade 1); Rebekah is the most devoted and loyal follower of the lady of infinite energies and the highest ascendant of meridia’s purified legion and was forged from meridia’s brilliant radiance of purity.

other meta toons-
    Alexa Straight-Fire, breton warden healer: THE ALCHEMIST (dungeons, trials)
    Sasha Straight-Fire, nord dragonknight tank: THE UNBREAKABLE (dungeons, trials)
    Freyja Straight-Fire, nord warden tank: THE ICEBERG (dungeons, trials)
    Ororo Straight-Fire, dark elf magsorc: THE SHOCKWAVE (dungeons, trials)
    Michonne Straight-Fire, redguard stamDK: THE EVISCERATOR (dungeons, trials)

just for fun toons-
    Rhea Straight-Fire, wood elf warden stam healer: THE RANGER
    Shiva Straight-Fire, high elf warden ice mage: THE CRYOMANCER
    Morgana Straight-Fire, dark elf necromancer solo play: THE DEATHSINGER
    Lucille Straight-Fire, dark elf nightblade solo play: THE VOIDWALKER
    Diana Straight-Fire, nord templar tank: THE CLERIC
    Falsetto Straight-Fire, orc stamsorc werewolf: THE THUNDERHOWL