The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

ESO Launcher Crashes on Update 9/04/2018

cbrking
cbrking
Update 12/2/2018: OP here,

Mainly due to life, but a small part due to the lack of time to fix the issues each patch myself, I've moved on from ESO. I've cancelled my subscription and won't be checking any notifications. I do hope that they fix this issue or find a workaround for the users that still enjoy playing this game.

============================================================================

Was just logged in yesterday and running fine, when the upload initiated the launcher eats up RAM until it crashes. Ran logs and looks like it's erroring out on an application whitelist error. I temporarily disabled firewall and same issue. Deleted depot temporary files and it went to 30% before crashing again.

Here's the partial log, I even tried manually downloading file in link (you can see a partial of it in this and placing it into the depot folders, no luck.

--The launcher starts and we see it start trying to grab the files, there is plenty of disk space, partially through some type of check fails, and then the system seems to start looking for a different IP below.

==============================================
09/04/2018 18:02:48 Files:
09/04/2018 18:02:48 1 1:[0 - 275] [276] [72151425] depot_248to249.z01
09/04/2018 18:02:48 2 1:[275 - 275] [1] [36872] depot_248to249.zip
09/04/2018 18:02:48 Total: 68M (2 files)
09/04/2018 18:02:48 Target disk space report (1) [Required: 68.84 MB Existing: 68.84 MB Free: 58.29 GB Path M:\Steam\steamapps\common\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\depot\patchdata.depot\]
09/04/2018 18:02:48 Save path [M:\Steam\steamapps\common\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\depot\patchdata.depot\]
09/04/2018 18:02:48 : Base state changed from (Idle to Starting)
09/04/2018 18:02:48 depot_248t: Base state changed from (Starting to Creating)
09/04/2018 18:02:48 depot_248t: Base chunk selection set to SequentialRanged
09/04/2018 18:02:48 BitBase chunk selection set to SequentialRanged
09/04/2018 18:02:48 WebBase chunk selection set to SequentialRanged
09/04/2018 18:02:48 depot_248t: Base state changed from (Creating to Checking)
09/04/2018 18:02:48 Check block: 1/276 -- Pass
09/04/2018 18:02:48 Check block: 2/276 -- Pass
09/04/2018 18:02:48 Check block: 3/276 -- Pass
09/04/2018 18:02:48 Check block: 4/276 -- Pass
09/04/2018 18:02:48 Check block: 5/276 -- Pass
09/04/2018 18:02:48 Check block: 6/276 -- Pass
09/04/2018 18:02:48 http://127.0.0.1:51004/cache.js (38): ---- Cache File Load Success ----
09/04/2018 18:02:48 ---- Received GEO IP Info ---- 09/04/2018 18:02:48 Check block: 7/276 -- Pass
09/04/2018 18:02:48 Check block: 8/276 -- Pass
09/04/2018 18:02:48 Check block: 9/276 -- Pass

--At this point the system launcher just errors out each load and tried to look for IP 151.205.0.23 which is not in some application whitelist.
09/04/2018 18:04:50 WebGet Error: (http://live.patcher.elderscrollsonline.com/products/eso/874DCDCF-C40C-4956-92FE-E39B8DC4764E/depot/depot_248to249/depot_248to249.z01) (23.209.36.139:80) (3:956)
09/04/2018 18:02:49 Hostname not found in whitelist (151.205.0.23)
09/04/2018 18:02:49 Hostname not found in whitelist (151.205.0.23)
Edited by cbrking on December 3, 2018 4:37AM
  • Avonna
    Avonna
    ✭✭✭
    Just got home from work , need to unwind.

load eso up, launcher gets to 9% and crashes.

does this have anything to do with me canceling my eso membership yesterday??
  • Evildeadgirl
    i'm having the same issue on 2 different computers. Both my laptop and my desktop (normally no issues) just keeps crashing when downloading the patch. I'm not using Steam and my ESO Plus is active for another couple of months that I have set to auto-renew

Edited by Evildeadgirl on September 4, 2018 11:34PM
  • Avonna
    Avonna
    ✭✭✭
    update, the launcher went to 10 % now instead of 9 , stays there for a bit then just closes.

no idea how to fix it. this is the stuff that made me stop playing 1 year ago lol
  • cbrking
    cbrking
    I'm re-downloading now - I should add I'm using the Steam edition and the Bethesda Launcher immediately was freezing before crashing so repair was not an option.

In hindsight, I should have pulled logs after I manually placed the first file to get the URL of the second and then tried placing that one as well. Then theoretically the launcher might have believed that it had already downloaded the files and proceed to doing the installation. Thus, bypassing the download freeze that was encountered.

Edited by cbrking on September 4, 2018 11:59PM
  • Gaggin
    Gaggin
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm having this same issue, using steam, can't launch it outside of steam cus its a launcher issue it seems.
  • Crimsonorion
    Crimsonorion
    ✭✭✭
    Same issue here, when I click the Launcher it loads slowly, likes its having trouble, the updating screen comes up [The one that lets me pick either the Test Server or NA Server, NA Server says "Updating 10%" but no progress bar and no play/pause button, the window then basically becomes Non-Responsive, I can't close it, click anything on it, go to the Options or anything, it stays at 10% then just closes itself a minute later
  • cbrking
    cbrking
    Opened a support ticket: 180904-003551

Recommend everyone else do the same since it does not appear to be isolated. The logs for me were 400mb due to continuous loops of errors.
  • Gaggin
    Gaggin
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would like to know if anyone's found any fix on this, zos or otherwise? Might not make it to raid tonight otherwise.
  • ChirpingBird
    ChirpingBird
    ✭✭
    I'm having the same issue, but I'm unable to complete a support ticket for it. It's requiring an upload of the game consultant file, but the file upload is not working so I can't progress the ticket.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Thanks all, confirming we've seen your reports and are digging into the issue.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    For any of you currently running into this issue, could you please post or PM me your most recent host developer log? You can find it in Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\Launcher
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Staff Post
  • cbrking
    cbrking
    Sure, I just uninstalled EOS and waited over an hour for it to download the whole game again. After the install it began catching me up on patches, but then froze up on a 2gb patch and crashed. Doesn't seem to be patch specific, or maybe only ones.

I'll get the logs added, and send you the host dev log.
    For any of you currently running into this issue, could you please post or PM me your most recent host developer log? You can find it in Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\Launcher

• waigorrun
    waigorrun
    Its 438KB - how do I PM it to you?

• cbrking
    cbrking

How does one send a PM? There's no message option under your name or anything...
  • Avonna
    Avonna
    ✭✭✭
    OMG windows 10 has me all confused lmao

i cant even find the stuff hahahahaha

but i THINK you can click her name to give you sending options....i THINK....this is me giving advice with some ciroc peach in me ...so take that for what its worth :)
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    @waigorrun @cbrking Sending you both a PM
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Staff Post
  • cbrking
    cbrking
    2djjsdwr98u6.png

The log file is 400mb so I'd have to zip it or I'll try to paste it in PM
  • cbrking
    cbrking
    Avonna wrote: »
    OMG windows 10 has me all confused lmao

i cant even find the stuff hahahahaha

but i THINK you can click her name to give you sending options....i THINK....this is me giving advice with some ciroc peach in me ...so take that for what its worth :)

lol! It's in the steamapps/vendor folder, see my screenshot :) and pass some of that Ciroc.
  • Avonna
    Avonna
    ✭✭✭
    i am not on steam, and i have this in my 2nd drive not c so i think its labeled differently ....unless my day has been tougher then i thought.......and i just slide a glass your way:)
  • Avonna
    Avonna
    ✭✭✭
    can i delete the launcher ?

can i re download just the launcher?
  • cbrking
    cbrking
    Avonna wrote: »
    can i delete the launcher ?

can i re download just the launcher?

Cheers,

I would wait for dev, I tried reinstalling the whole game - no luck. The only way might be to manually download the patches and that might not even work.
  • Avonna
    Avonna
    ✭✭✭
    I have been trying to solve this since 6:30 pm it is now 10:30 pm ........

I am going to play something else before i delete the entire thing.

good luck everyone and cheer's to you cbrking!
  • demonicz101
    demonicz101
    Soul Shriven
    I just got the same result. I was just logging in quick because the daily. I want the 100k lol...
  • cbrking
    cbrking
    Well I just figured out a way to manually fix it, at least it worked on a patch I had.

1. You can see which file is failed by reviewing

C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\depot\patchdata.depot
    (exact path may vary for you)
    OR

By reviewing the host.developer blog. Should see something like this qay7a5osddhs.png
    Then find the URL (I used the domain name version, not hard IP as I suspect some of those are failing).

2. Download the file and place it into the destination path (in my case it was the patchdata.depot folder).
    3. Remove the corresponding file ending in .partial. This is the file it was trying to download.
    4. Start the launcher again and it should verify it. I downloaded a 2 gb patch and it accepted it, but then got stuck on another patch.
    rricig07gfb9.png

5. Rinse. Repeat until launcher is caught up.
    Edited by cbrking on September 5, 2018 2:38AM
  • oshaugm
    oshaugm
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno Can you please post directions for non-Steam users? I don't have a log file like that, and my most recent host file in that folder does not want to upload to the forum, I'm guessing due to size -- see pic.7mydn82v876l.png
  • cbrking
    cbrking
    Update: I was able to fully patch my client up manually, and am now in game getting my daily reward! Woot!

However I want to note the following and give you a disclaimer that I offer no guarantees. So if you aren't sure how to do this kinda stuff, just wait for official fix or support reply.

1. Patches don't all go to the depot folder listed above, some go to other subfolders in the ESO folder (at least in steam). So you'll have to review the destination in the logs if manually downloading.
    2. Using the URL's in the log is hit or miss - at least for me. Some didn't work, others did.
    3. The logs fill up quickly, but I was able to rename the log .old periodically to keep it from growing. At least on steam it appears to continually grow wheras the screenshot provided by a non-steam user oshaugm seemed to roll over (like you'd normally expect in a server log environment or something).

I'm not sure, but after renaming the log file, and restarting the client, without a manual download, the launcher eventually downloaded the patch that was failing the last time. This leads me to think that either the launcher crashes due to log size because of the amount of failures that must be ultimately due to some type of availability issue with the patch servers.

Of course this is all unofficial but my best guess.

~Cheers
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Ok, for everyone still affected, could you please try closing the patcher and reopening, and let us know if you're continuing to have issues?
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Staff Post
  • Avonna
    Avonna
    ✭✭✭
    stuck still Gina,

i will restart my computer and try again .
  • waigorrun
    waigorrun
    Sorry Gina - still busted. Do you need another log file?
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Thanks for confirming. Out of curiosity, what ISP are you all using?
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.