Maintenance for the week of June 10:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 10

Confirmed Memory Leak in 1.1.2

• Sunbite
    Sunbite
    I'm staying in the game by keeping an eye on the usage and, when it gets high, switching screen mode which brings it back down again. I'm happy to do this periodically as less than a minute to swap then swap back means that this is all it takes to stay in the game
    Options
  • Kaelis33
    Kaelis33
    ✭✭
    Nephin wrote: »
    Kaelis33 wrote: »
    To those saying give Zenimax a break you have lost your minds. Its not a SMALL memory leak its HUGE. Immediately noticeable to any kind of playtesting. Not to mention the shoddy coding they must be doing to introduce a leak that bad. Most memory leaks are MUCH MUCH more subtle. This is game crippling.

In my guild only I have this problem, everybody else is playing smoothly (about 130 people). It's totally possible the testers didn't run into it, I think.

Depends on the RAM amount you have. I have 6 gigs, if you had 8 or more you could play an hour and a half without crashing. I am using cleanmem to fix mine, so at the very least I can play smooth but and no system bog downs.

The thing is it affects everyone, there is no way it affects just some. Code loading assests into ram and not unloading them is going to be universal.
    Options
  • fredarbonab14_ESO
    fredarbonab14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    To those saying give Zenimax a break you have lost your minds. Its not a SMALL memory leak its HUGE. Immediately noticeable to any kind of playtesting. Not to mention the shoddy coding they must be doing to introduce a leak that bad. Most memory leaks are MUCH MUCH more subtle. This is game crippling.

Thank you for your most pompous pearl of wisdom, and its a crying shame amateurish ZOS doesn't have the real professional likes of you in their ranks.
    Options
  • Nephin
    Nephin
    ✭✭
    Depends on the RAM amount you have. I have 6 gigs, if you had 8 or more you could play an hour and a half without crashing. I am using cleanmem to fix mine, so at the very least I can play smooth but and no system bog downs.

The thing is it affects everyone, there is no way it affects just some. Code loading assests into ram and not unloading them is going to be universal.

Am not a programmer, so maybe you're right, the thing I know is that nobody else is getting crashed as I do.
    Options
  • dark.akarib16_ESO
    Confirmed. Win 7, 6 GB RAM.
    Options
  • Anastasia
    Anastasia
    ✭✭✭✭
    The non-Americans confused Memorial Day with Independence Day (aka "4th of July"). If we have any flags on Monday, it will be to lay them on graves.

Thank you for squaring it away. Right on.

Options
  • Noxious
    Noxious
    ✭✭✭
    Same as the rest, memory leak. Win 7, 8 GB
    Options
  • ers101284b14_ESO
    ers101284b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Started at 900k and after 20 minutes was up to 1.3 mil. I have 24 gb of ram and using addons
    Lorebook By Garking out of date not seleceted but installed
    ESO Head out of date
    ESOheadMarkers out of date
    SpamFilter out of date
    T's Chat Colorizer out of date
    ZAM Stats out of date
    ZrMiniMap out of date

Using an intel i5 3570 k, 24gb of ddr3 ram, radeon hd 7870 graphics card.
    Options
  • SinisterJoint
    SinisterJoint
    ✭✭✭
    I can CONFIRM that if you DO NOT use the launcher and run the game from the exe, the memory leak goes away. At least for me it did
    Options
  • ExiledKhallisi
    ExiledKhallisi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My laptop no longer runs properly.

I expect a much better explanation for this....I believe my ram got fried. Not sure ATM but when I get to desktop everything is delayed and stutter.

I had a total of 4 freeze ups and after the fourth while trying to figure out what was wrong I believe my hardware suffered a fatal blow from this memory leak.
    >>>>>>>>(DC)Guild Master of Biestas 250+ Active Members<<<<<<<<
    ||||||Vr14 Sorc: Darkened Soul vr14 Templar: Tiffaney||||||
    “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
    ― Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    Options
  • River_Song
    I can CONFIRM that if you DO NOT use the launcher and run the game from the exe, the memory leak goes away. At least for me it did

I just run the launcher for updates, other I just run the eso.exe and got that problem.
    So the launcher alone seems not to be the problem.
    Demons run when a good man goes to war
    Night will fall and drown the sun
    When a good man goes to war

Friendship dies and true love lies
    Night will fall and the dark will rise

Demons run, but count the cost
    The battle's won, but the child is lost
    Options
  • ExiledKhallisi
    ExiledKhallisi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No it doesn't.
    >>>>>>>>(DC)Guild Master of Biestas 250+ Active Members<<<<<<<<
    ||||||Vr14 Sorc: Darkened Soul vr14 Templar: Tiffaney||||||
    “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
    ― Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    Options
  • elorei
    elorei
    ✭✭✭

Nope.
    Options
  • ItsMeToo
    ItsMeToo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both the Launcher and ESO.exe have memory leaks.
    FYI - There is no such thing as 'night capping' in a world wide MMO.
    FYI - There was no paid Beta. When they launched the game the Beta was over, even if you don't think it was.
    FYI - It's B2P not F2P. There is a difference.
    FYI - It doesn't take any player skill to mash keys or buttons in this game. The ones that stay alive longer have the better internet connection and speed.
    FYI - The game is not broken, it still works. It just has 'bugs' that need to be fixed.
    Balance is a "Bad" thing.

Example: There were hundreds of Jedi and only two Sith in Star Wars. The Jedi wanted, "Balance in the Force" and they got it. Now there are only two Jedi and two Sith.

Balance is a "Bad" thing.
    Is the glass half full or half empty?
    I say, "Get a smaller glass."
    Options
  • ArRashid
    ArRashid
    ✭✭✭✭
    elorei wrote: »

Nope.
    Did for me too. Not completely, but enough to play on 4GBs of RAM for 3 hours. That's the max this laptop can take without breaks in this heat anyway.
    Options
  • Stratti
    Stratti
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Using addons - number of the
    Options
  • elorei
    elorei
    ✭✭✭
    ArRashid wrote: »

Nope.
    Did for me too. Not completely, but enough to play on 4GBs of RAM for 3 hours. That's the max this laptop can take without breaks in this heat anyway.

Hundreds, if not thousands of us with this problem haven't launched the game from the launcher in months (after patching it that is). The game itself is eating up all of the memory, the launcher, while it does eat it up some, does so at a much slower pace. And only if you leave it running while you play...do people actually do this?!?
    Options
  • PrimalShadeCG
    PrimalShadeCG
    Soul Shriven
    Cogo wrote: »
    Feel free to completely igore this advice, but dont tinker with the ESO software.
    Let them fix the problem and all you have to do, is press the launcher, enter your char in cyrodiil and try to find me!

Seriously, do nothing. Wait. Most of you are americans right? You have alot of stuff to do in your cities. Here in sweden, what the hell can we do to pass the time? Vodka and blond chicks? Boooring.

"Vodka and blonde chicks" will never be boring good sir. :-D
    Options
  • Zershar_Vemod
    Zershar_Vemod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ItsMeToo wrote: »
    Both the Launcher and ESO.exe have memory leaks.

And now you know why I wasn't on much yesterday haha.

But to those demanding answers "NOW," all I can point out is that we were told that the cause has been found and that as of yesterday they started working on a fix. This isn't going to be as easy as the mob difficulty bug people; this is very annoying / inconvenient, but we must wait.

So far I can only play 10-15min (even with 12Gb) before needing to log off /quit the game to prevent any issues - I can barely do anything, but I am very pleased to see how much communication was given yesterday.
    Hey guys, we have identified the cause of the memory leak that some of you are experiencing, and are working on a fix. It is not related to addons or graphics enhancement programs. We’ll keep you updated. In the meantime, one thing that can help is if you do not spend a lot of time hanging out on the character select screen. Thanks again for your help earlier!

Edited by Zershar_Vemod on May 24, 2014 2:54PM
    House Nyssara (NA)
    Black Market Traders
    Order of the Lamp Post
    Thorn Brigade
    VR15 Nightblade Vampire
    Options
  • nealwilsonb16_ESO
    nealwilsonb16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I have 16g of RAM - - 20 minutes is the longest I can stay in game - tried all the tricks with CleanMem and bypassing the Launcher - nothing works. When in open areas it gets very laggy and difficult to play. We know this issue was reported by the NA peeps as soon as the patch was posted - why did they continue to install the patch on the EU server on Friday?
    -Roll back the patch please and fix it before implementing again!
    Options
  • _oldThe_Tip
    I'm using windows 8.1 quad processors 2.3 GHz, cheap radeon graphics card, 6gb ddr3 ram. Pre patch graphics were fine, lag was the normal comparable to Xbox live, game barely ever logged me out or crashed. Since the patch, big lag spikes where the screen just freezes up mid fight, or just walking through the forest doesn't seem to happen in just one spot. Random loading screens will pop up even though i didnt initiate anything to require the loading. Audio cuts in and out going from forefront to the background even if im stationary. I've also had it lock up my PC to a str8 black screen AFTER I ended the application via task manager. Only way to fix it was a reset, I've never had to do that with this PC, its barely a yr old and very lightly used. I definitely see some issues, and hearing ppl mention it mightve fried there ram scares me. Hope its fixed soon.
    Edited by _oldThe_Tip on May 24, 2014 3:01PM
    Options
  • SinisterJoint
    SinisterJoint
    ✭✭✭
    ArRashid wrote: »

Nope.

Hundreds, if not thousands of us with this problem haven't launched the game from the launcher in months (after patching it that is). The game itself is eating up all of the memory, the launcher, while it does eat it up some, does so at a much slower pace. And only if you leave it running while you play...do people actually do this?!?

You cant actually speak for thousands of people though. Running it through the exe, on my machine, fixed the problem (rather it extended my playtime to about 5 hours rather than 1 hour) Run the game through the launcher and close the launcher. play and watch how fast it leaks mem, THEN navigate to the client folder and launch the exe and watch how slow it leaks.

The problem is def the launcher
    Options
  • Swazzle
    Swazzle
    Soul Shriven
    Having a same problem, game keeps freezing and crashing on the most simple tasks like opening my bag, since 1.1.2 patch
    Options
  • elorei
    elorei
    ✭✭✭

The problem is def the launcher
    Except you are wrong, as been shown on countless other posts, here, reddit, and on the foundry. ESO.exe is leaking memory, launcher running or not. This is not an opinion, it is a fact, just because it is not for *YOU* does not mean it is not.

Have you even tested the memory allocation of the process over time while running just the game, versus running the game and the launcher?

Or are you just spouting off anecdotal crap with no basis other than pure speculation?

Please post timestamped memory allocations from task manager or resource monitor over a 45 minute period for us, then maybe we will listen to you. Because guess what, that is what a ton of us have already done, with the launcher running, without the launcher running, loading the game without the launcher, full screen mode, windowed mode, diff graphics settings, you name it.
    Options
  • Silverblade
    Silverblade
    ✭✭
    It really is appalling that they have not provided any update or ongoing feedback regarding this issue yet, and unacceptable that the issue itself hasn't just been resolved. The leak is so bad it should have been hotfixed with a timeline of yesterday. The incompetence here is just overwhelming. ZOS, when will you learn.
    Unsubbed.
    You have 4 days of game time remaining.
    Options
  • Zershar_Vemod
    Zershar_Vemod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It really is appalling that they have not provided any update or ongoing feedback regarding this issue yet, and unacceptable that the issue itself hasn't just been resolved. The leak is so bad it should have been hotfixed with a timeline of yesterday. The incompetence here is just overwhelming. ZOS, when will you learn.

What more can they give us other than that they are working on the fix currently?
    Hey guys, we have identified the cause of the memory leak that some of you are experiencing, and are working on a fix. It is not related to addons or graphics enhancement programs. We’ll keep you updated. In the meantime, one thing that can help is if you do not spend a lot of time hanging out on the character select screen. Thanks again for your help earlier!

House Nyssara (NA)
    Black Market Traders
    Order of the Lamp Post
    Thorn Brigade
    VR15 Nightblade Vampire
    Options
  • huangmao
    huangmao
    an update.
    Options
  • Shagreth
    Shagreth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just noticed that if I alt-tab out of the game - the memory usage starts increasing much faster. Went from 1.2gb to 1.4 in a couple of minutes. Just hope that the game freezing (black screen & music continues to play) has to do directly with this memory leak and not some other weird 1.1.2 problem.

Options
  • Silverblade
    Silverblade
    ✭✭
    What more can they give us other than that they are working on the fix currently?
    huangmao wrote: »
    an update.

Unsubbed.
    You have 4 days of game time remaining.
    Options
  • bg22
    bg22
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They get to the memory leak eventually, they're working on adding a heal to bolt escape in the mean time.
    Options