The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Overland Content Feedback Thread

• SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AScarlato wrote: »
    How many people really need help on the normal overland map outside group bosses?

I don't need help with overland and I like it that way. I've put time and effort into developing my characters and overland should be easy for me. So it's not just new and low level players that enjoy and benefit from it being as it is.
    PCNA
    Options
  • AScarlato
    AScarlato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh well. I still care more about my personal enjoyment with with my own valuable free time. A lot of my time is spent solo questing on the overworld and those saintly players that watch zone chat to help new players can continue to do so in their easy instance.

At the end of the day I believe this thread is just to pacify people into one thread they can ignore over this topic coming up over and over again from the extremely bored part of the playerbase that can handle “easy” mode mobs compared to the interactive visual novels they feel like now.

This is assuming I log in at all and do not burn out on the utter tedium No-challenge questing can be, as I do for at least 1/3rd of every year.
    Edited by AScarlato on April 23, 2023 6:55PM
    Options
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still care more about my personal enjoyment with with my own valuable free time.

So do I which is why I advocate against changes that can be harmful to the game.
    PCNA
    Options
  • AScarlato
    AScarlato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still care more about my personal enjoyment with with my own valuable free time.

So do I which is why I advocate against changes that can be harmful to the game.

I am not going to change my opinion or how I feel about this so let's just agree to disagree and leave it at that.
    Options
  • SendexNL
    SendexNL
    Soul Shriven
    I’m a new player. About two months in now and after level 10 or so I never felt threatened in this game. You play this quest leading up to the most evil being ever and you drop it in a minute. Shrug your shoulders and move on to the next grand evil lord that is destroyed within a minute. This is all with relatively noob gear. I don’t follow builds and just mix and match what I think works with gear that drops from dungeons which are mostly also snoozefests with pro’s speeding thru it like they are speedy Gonzales.

This game is great, there is lots of eye for detail and questing in general feels immersive, till you hit the point it all doesn’t really matter and you can just light attack thru everything.

For know it’s still a great game but this going to be old really fast. I wonder how retention numbers are after 3 to 4 months of playing. I cant imagine im the only nee player getting bored with the overland snoozefest.

On Reddit people tend to say just do trails and vet dungeons but that isn’t really sound advice for a guy with blue dungeon gear and cp around 300ish.
    Edited by SendexNL on April 24, 2023 9:26AM
    Options
  • N00BxV1
    N00BxV1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SendexNL wrote: »
    I’m a new player. About two months in now and after level 10 or so I never felt threatened in this game. You play this quest leading up to the most evil being ever and you drop it in a minute. Shrug your shoulders and move on to the next grand evil lord that is destroyed within a minute. This is all with relatively noob gear. I don’t follow builds and just mix and match what I think works with gear that drops from dungeons which are mostly also snoozefests with pro’s speeding thru it like they are speedy Gonzales.

This game is great, there is lots of eye for detail and questing in general feels immersive, till you hit the point it all doesn’t really matter and you can just light attack thru everything.

For know it’s still a great game but this going to be old really fast. I wonder how retention numbers are after 3 to 4 months of playing. I cant imagine im the only nee player getting bored with the overland snoozefest.

On Reddit people tend to say just do trails and vet dungeons but that isn’t really sound advice for a guy with blue dungeon gear and cp around 300ish.

Yep that's pretty much how this game is. There is no difficulty in most of the Overland Content (dragons and other multiplayer stuff aside). And if you want more difficulty then you're left with running Veteran DLC Arena/Dungeon/Trial Hard Modes, which might I add is a HUGE jump in difficulty. Because let's be real, no one wants to make the game artificially more difficult by removing their gear etc. I just wish that I could play through some story content while doing more than face-rolling on my gamepad (!) the whole time. If the journey isn't fun then the destination doesn't matter...
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    N00BxV1 wrote: »
    Yep that's pretty much how this game is. There is no difficulty in most of the Overland Content (dragons and other multiplayer stuff aside). And if you want more difficulty then you're left with running Veteran DLC Arena/Dungeon/Trial Hard Modes, which might I add is a HUGE jump in difficulty. Because let's be real, no one wants to make the game artificially more difficult by removing their gear etc. I just wish that I could play through some story content while doing more than face-rolling on my gamepad (!) the whole time. If the journey isn't fun then the destination doesn't matter...

My personal opinion is that ZOS has forged a workable compromise in the way they have designed in difficulty for overland, world bosses, dungeons, and trials. The jump from solo to group, and again from normal to veteran, may be a climb that they can help with, but people are obviously able to make that jump, with enough practice.

The only thing I think they could do is have overland trash mobs, including delve trash mobs, avoid high level characters rather than engaging them. They could do this by making them Yellow rather than Red opponents, so they would not enter combat unless provoked. It just seems that the low level bandits hanging around the entrance to some cave would be smart enough to avoid someone wearing the head of a monster so elite that the mere existence of the monster is shrouded in myth, or someone who has defeated more Daedric Princes than can be counted on one hand. :smile:
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Options
  • AScarlato
    AScarlato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    N00BxV1 wrote: »

My personal opinion is that ZOS has forged a workable compromise in the way they have designed in difficulty for overland, world bosses, dungeons, and trials. The jump from solo to group, and again from normal to veteran, may be a climb that they can help with, but people are obviously able to make that jump, with enough practice.

The only thing I think they could do is have overland trash mobs, including delve trash mobs, avoid high level characters rather than engaging them. They could do this by making them Yellow rather than Red opponents, so they would not enter combat unless provoked. It just seems that the low level bandits hanging around the entrance to some cave would be smart enough to avoid someone wearing the head of a monster so elite that the mere existence of the monster is shrouded in myth, or someone who has defeated more Daedric Princes than can be counted on one hand. :smile:

Wow. This would make the game even easier than the “non-threatening even to new players” as described above that it already is lol.

No thanks. Why would I play at all when I just walk past every mob in Story quests until I one shot the “boss”? It’s even less gameplay than I have now.

Anyway thanks to the new player, the type that some seem to think need coddling, for sharing the experience many of us already had: finding no overworld challenge after the first few hours or to be generous days when it comes to questing.
    Edited by AScarlato on April 24, 2023 3:01PM
    Options
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyway thanks to the new player, the type that some seem to think need coddling, for sharing the experience many of us already had: finding no overworld challenge after the first few hours or to be generous days when it comes to questing.

It's not that new players that need coddling. It's that the majority of them need other people around to have good first impression of this multiplayer game. They need other people to beat things like public dungeons, which is designed to be partnered up with. They need to see the game is alive with activity. They need help with world bosses. That sort of thing. And the developers have the play data to show what the majority of new players experience and what informs their purchasing decisions when deciding to continue on with the game.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on April 24, 2023 4:58PM
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, without new players, eventually, there will be no players. Right? :smile:

As for mobs not attacking... I have said before that if they ever do any sort of overland difficulty change, I want passive mobs. It is annoying when trying to do something and every skeever, wolf, and wanna-be bandit gets the idea that they can take me. Last thing I want is for that battle to be longer, as this just slows me down. I want it shorter. Shorter than "one hit".
    Options
  • SendexNL
    SendexNL
    Soul Shriven
    You want autocomplete? 😂
    Options
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, without new players, eventually, there will be no players. Right? :smile:

As for mobs not attacking... I have said before that if they ever do any sort of overland difficulty change, I want passive mobs. It is annoying when trying to do something and every skeever, wolf, and wanna-be bandit gets the idea that they can take me. Last thing I want is for that battle to be longer, as this just slows me down. I want it shorter. Shorter than "one hit".

Isn't there a mythic that makes enemies calm down or something? Or am I misremembering that?
    Options
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In Skyrim, there's Kyne's Peace (I think it was) which you could use to make animals non-aggressive. Was it a shout? Can't remember.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    Isn't there a mythic that makes enemies calm down or something? Or am I misremembering that?

Right now, I use Ring of the Wild Hunt, which can get me past mobs before they aggro, if I do it right. If I don't, or can't, I let my companion clean up the mess. :smile:

Faun's Lark Cladding can charm mobs if passed though them, but I've never used it. Sounds complicated.

I would use a Mythic, but if the strings attached to it were too bothersome, like with Faun's Lark Cladding, I would just skip it.
    TaSheen wrote: »
    In Skyrim, there's Kyne's Peace (I think it was) which you could use to make animals non-aggressive. Was it a shout? Can't remember.

It was a shout, so recharge was necessary. There was also the Voice of the Sky blessing for praying at each stop on the way to see the Greybeards.

Edit: However, I never used that stuff in Skyrim. Skyrim was a "one and done" sort of game and there was often little reason to return to somewhere. In ESO, I seem to always be returning to the area after completing everything, and that is when the trash mobs get more annoying. "Didn't I just kill you yesterday? Go away, pest!" :smile:
    Edited by Elsonso on April 24, 2023 6:23PM
    Options
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want passive mobs. It is annoying when trying to do something and every skeever, wolf, and wanna-be bandit gets the idea that they can take me. Last thing I want is for that battle to be longer, as this just slows me down. I want it shorter.

This is how a lot of players feel. They have stated that players will always do the thing that is the easiest and I guarantee that very few, if any, of the veteran overland players will use veteran overland to farm or do surveys or run some quick quests.
    PCNA
    Options
  • Blackbird_V
    Blackbird_V
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want passive mobs. It is annoying when trying to do something and every skeever, wolf, and wanna-be bandit gets the idea that they can take me. Last thing I want is for that battle to be longer, as this just slows me down. I want it shorter.

This is how a lot of players feel. They have stated that players will always do the thing that is the easiest and I guarantee that very few, if any, of the veteran overland players will use veteran overland to farm or do surveys or run some quick quests.

That's..... really depressing to even read that. What even is the point in playing this game?
    Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 25 DLCs. 41 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game.
    Options
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's..... really depressing to even read that. What even is the point in playing this game?

The point is that a lot of us love this game just as it is. A lot of us don't think struggling is fun. A lot of us enjoy playing through the story and not being beat up by trash mobs as we are questing. A lot of us like that we are now able to easily take down mobs that were once hard for us, and can see how much stronger we have gotten.

This is the kind of game ESO is. It may not be for everyone but it is exactly what a lot of us like in a game which is why we play it rather than something else.

And I'll add that there is a lot of challenging content in this game also, but every single aspect doesn't have to be a great challenge.
    Edited by SilverBride on April 24, 2023 8:06PM
    PCNA
    Options
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hear the lore, make cool outfits, challenge yourself in group content, decorate houses, style on opponents in PvP, and socialize with your guild. That seems to be what most of my guild mates and friends like to spend their time doing rather than solo challenges
    At least specifically the ones who skip mobs as much as possible while in overland.

They don't like solo arenas either.

I personally enjoy them and would like more challenging solo content, but I also don't skip mobs. To each their own.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on April 24, 2023 8:40PM
    Options
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

That's..... really depressing to even read that. What even is the point in playing this game?[/quote]

The point of playing the game for many people is to relax.

If it's a challenge you want, there is plenty of challenging stuff in ESO. And let's be honest... who wants a challenging fight every time they go to farm leather scraps?
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
      Options
    • Credible_Joe
      Credible_Joe
      ✭✭✭
      I think we're sliding back towards the misconception that addressing overland difficulty would necessitate displacing the core game experience.

It's been reiterated dozens of times that this is not the case, and no one has any intentions or designs of making overland more challenging for everyone. The solution has to be opt-in, specifically for narrative engagement & challenge.

So this back and forth over whether or not people would engage with harder difficulty when grinding / farming / questing is moot. The option to do it the way it is now will never go away. The petition is for an additional gameplay option, not a replacement or change to what's currently available.
      Edited by Credible_Joe on April 24, 2023 9:28PM
      Thank you for coming to my T E D talk
      Options
    • AScarlato
      AScarlato
      ✭✭✭✭✭

I truly believe some people just want slightly more interactive visual novels lol. Pretending there is an onslaught of new players coming to this 9 year old game that would be frightened away if they can't 2 shot all overland mobs even in the full set of gear you get now by auto-skipping the tutorial is a bizarre argument to me.

I also think people can't get over the push-over mobs we have now and thinking we want every mob to be a struggle. Right now the overland quest mobs are simply window dressing and fake-battles to with 0% risk of death unless you aggro 20 mobs and go afk. Since a HUGE Percentage goes inot this type of content, and many players find this outright boring with no challenge at all, I'm not sure why some people here think an option for a more interactive game experience would be "bad for the game."

So many people in this thread alone hate how easy a large majority of game content is, and many more who already quit. I mean Josh Stryfe Hayes just put about a video about how he loves everything about ESO except actually playing it, partially due to how dull the content is for a big portion of the game, and he's not alone.
      Options
    • AScarlato
      AScarlato
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I think we're sliding back towards the misconception that addressing overland difficulty would necessitate displacing the core game experience.

It's been reiterated dozens of times that this is not the case, and no one has any intentions or designs of making overland more challenging for everyone. The solution has to be opt-in, specifically for narrative engagement & challenge.

So this back and forth over whether or not people would engage with harder difficulty when grinding / farming / questing is moot. The option to do it the way it is now will never go away. The petition is for an additional gameplay option, not a replacement or change to what's currently available.

They don't want that. Their arguments against some players have options to actually enjoy a huge part of this game (solo overland questing) is that they shouldn't be allowed to do so, and instead they have to be forced into the game world with them to not "split the playerbase" as though that doesn't already happen due to the sheer number of zones, player housing, veteran vs. regular dungeons, pvp, different instances based on quest progress, or any other number of reasons players segregate.
      Options
    • spartaxoxo
      spartaxoxo
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I'm not sure why some people here think an option for a more interactive game experience would be "bad for the game."

For the record, I do not believe more options would be bad for the game. I have spent quite a lot of time recommending a debuff slider similar to LOTRO. I also wouldn't be opposed to the champion points system someone else proposed above. The only option I think would be bad is the one that splits the playerbase. I like most other ideas presented here.

Challenge banners, debuff sliders, gears, or champion points, adventure zones, etc. Those are all good ideas to address the issue in my opinion.

But, there was some questions that popped up as to what people enjoy when they do the easier content. Therefore, I felt that it was pertinent to include my experience and those of people I personally know who don't necessarily have forum accounts to the best of my ability. My post was intended to answer those questions, but I still believe the aforementioned solutions would be good for the game.
      Edited by spartaxoxo on April 24, 2023 9:41PM
      Options
    • AScarlato
      AScarlato
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I'm not sure why some people here think an option for a more interactive game experience would be "bad for the game."

For the record, I do not believe more options would be bad for the game. I have spent quite a lot of time recommending a debuff slider similar to LOTRO. I also wouldn't be opposed to the champion points system someone else proposed above. The only option I think would be bad is the one that splits the playerbase. I like most other ideas presented here.

Challenge banners, debuff sliders, gears, or champion points, adventure zones, etc. Those are all good ideas to address the issue in my opinion.

But, there was some questions that popped up as to what people enjoy when they do the easier content. Therefore, I felt that it was pertinent to include my experience and those of people I personally know who don't necessarily have forum accounts to the best of my ability. My post was intended to answer those questions, but I still believe the aforementioned solutions would be good for the game.

Thank you for the clarificatino, and also your thoughtfulness. I do apologize if you felt lumped in with that. I think I'm just frustrated as I do love ESO, but the gameplay loop for a solo player (even a roleplayer like me who usually plays solo games on EASY/STORY) is listening to an NPC for 10 minutes, walking somewhere to two-shot a mob, and returning. It gets tired and even in my roleplaying guild I have friends that can only stomache doing one quest a day because it's not that interesting to do outside of learning some new lore.
      Options
    • TaSheen
      TaSheen
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I never said options weren't good. I actually have said the opposite: options are much better than forced change in any direction.

Yes, I'm happy to wander around overland the way it is. No, I'm not going to do any more Chapter bosses - that's just way too hard for me at my age and with mega ping and crap reflexes.

But a small uptick in overland difficulty wouldn't actually bother me these days. Oakensoul and the change to Hexos' Ward from the other set I was using has made things better overall for me.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
      Options
    • SilverBride
      SilverBride
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      But a small uptick in overland difficulty wouldn't actually bother me these days. Oakensoul and the change to Hexos' Ward from the other set I was using has made things better overall for me.

That may be true for some but not for everyone. There are a lot of new players that don't even know how to get Oakensoul and maxing antiquities, which is needed to get it, is a slow and tedious grind. Oakensoul isn't going to make all players strong and powerful and skillful on its own anyway.

But all of this is moot because Bastian Nymics is how they have chosen to address this issue.

With that being said, we do recognize a lot of people want increased overland difficulty and the new world events (Bastion Nymics) that are instanced for up to 4 players in Necrom is one of our answers to that.
      Edited by SilverBride on April 24, 2023 10:15PM
      PCNA
      Options
    • AScarlato
      AScarlato
      ✭✭✭✭✭

That may be true for some but not for everyone. There are a lot of new players that don't even know how to get Oakensoul and maxing antiquities, which is needed to get it, is a slow and tedious grind. Oakensoul isn't going to make all players strong and powerful and skillful on its own anyway.

But all of this is moot because Bastian Nymics is how they have chosen to address this issue.

With that being said, we do recognize a lot of people want increased overland difficulty and the new world events (Bastion Nymics) that are instanced for up to 4 players in Necrom is one of our answers to that.

We literally just had a new player tell you they are not challenged by this game after a few hours of playing it. Please find these new players dying ot overland mobs that are struggling on basic quest mobs that need you to protect them.

This line of argument pre-supposes that there are some significant and noteworthy percentage of players who can't handle anything over than the non-difficulty we have on overland quest mobs that we have now. I just don't believe this population exists and I haven't seen anyone post they are challenged or concerned about difficulty while questing, and fear they could no longer play if it was even a smidge harder.

I'm bored and as I said I'm a roleplayer who plays games on easy/story and overland quests are the most mind-numbing experience possible.
      Options
    • spartaxoxo
      spartaxoxo
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭

We literally just had a new player tell you they are not challenged by this game after a few hours of playing it. Please find these new players dying ot overland mobs that are struggling on basic quest mobs that need you to protect them.

This line of argument pre-supposes that there are some significant and noteworthy percentage of players who can't handle anything over than the non-difficulty we have on overland quest mobs that we have now. I just don't believe this population exists and I haven't seen anyone post they are challenged or concerned about difficulty while questing, and fear they could no longer play if it was even a smidge harder.

I'm bored and as I said I'm a roleplayer who plays games on easy/story and overland quests are the most mind-numbing experience possible.

The devs have spoken about how there is a significant number of players who find the quests challenging. There's also a user on here that just discussed how she is not going to be taking on chapter bosses anymore because they are too hard for her. Although, she also mentioned that she wouldn't be bothered by a small uptick in difficulty thanks to her gear.

Difficulty is subjective. I think quests are pretty easy personally, but others finding them a pleasant level of challenge is also a thing.
      Options
    • AScarlato
      AScarlato
      ✭✭✭✭✭

The devs have spoken about how there is a significant number of players who find the quests challenging. There's also a user on here that just discussed how she is not going to be taking on chapter bosses anymore because they are too hard for her. Although, she also mentioned that she wouldn't be bothered by a small uptick in difficulty thanks to her gear.

Difficulty is subjective. I think quests are pretty easy personally, but others finding them a pleasant level of challenge is also a thing.

I mean, that's the closest issue someone had in a thrad of 5000 posts or however many we have. It's rather extreme to keep a majority of the game this easy for one person. I wonder where devs got this "significant" number of people being challenged by overland mobs. I have seen nothing but bored people or people who barely want to engage with the world. Not people being challenged.
      Options
    • SilverBride
      SilverBride
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      We literally just had a new player tell you they are not challenged by this game after a few hours of playing it.

So we should make the game more difficult to appease one new player who just tried the game for a couple of hours and may not stick around rather than continuing with what turned this game around from failing and has been successful for the past 7 years? And risk losing a lot of loyal players who have stuck around all that time and are still playing today?

I acknowledge that some players find overland boring but there are MANY who do not.
      Edited by SilverBride on April 24, 2023 10:58PM
      PCNA
      Options