Maintenance for the week of May 27:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 27

Scrap Arcanist and give the game 3 new skills lines every existing character can use.

• Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    majulook wrote: »
    Of all the things a new Class? Why not add Skill lines to the game for all Classes to use???

Doing all content for GUILDS (mages, fighters, dark brotherhood, thieves, undaunted, Legerdemain, soul magic, psijic order, alliance war, and all the Crafting & decon grind Unlocking all the wayshrines in all the zones, Chasing down skyshards.

Mount Training alone takes 180 days and that is per Character.

With the way ZOS messed up AWA its so bungled up, that I don't enjoy playing my current alt characters. Why Grind 10th?

You've answered your own question.

If you want to have a competitive arcanist right away, you will need to buy all those things in the Crown Store. With new skill lines you can use an already leveled and maxed character.

It's Marketing 101.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
    Options
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Vevvev wrote: »
    Nah
    I prefer class
    New skill line add zero replayability

So does a new class if that's your reasoning.

Well its giving me the opportunity to replay every single quest it the game twice if i want to, wich is much more than a new skill line would
    Options
  • Dragonredux
    Dragonredux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jtm1018 wrote: »
    And then balance those skill lines to be weaker at first launch and see how it goes. It's still possible to do this. There is 5+ months left!
    • Adding new skill lines adds way more liveness to the existing game. Forcing everyone to give up their mains and redo it all just to get some kind of new mechanic is awful.
    • Because right now. That portal skill is going to be removed. I guarantee. You cannot add a skill like that exclusive to one class and not get a backlash from pvp.

If you take everything from the class and break it down into skill lines it will add so much more to the game!

For example,
    Imperial race nerfed.
    Warden class nerfed.
    Necromancer class nerfed.
    Oakensoul ring nerfed.

Guess what?
    _______________ nerfed.

Thrassian got nerfed so bad it was forgotten about :(
    Options
  • phantasmalD
    phantasmalD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah
    I prefer class

Well its giving me the opportunity to replay every single quest it the game twice if i want to, wich is much more than a new skill line would

I can't imagine replaying the whole game. I still very vividly remember all the story beats and can quote some of the dialogue by heart. There're very few storylines that I'd actually like to re-experience. I would just be mashing through the conversations and running from quest arrow to quest arrow. Sounds miserable.

A re-coloured magic ball doesn't enhance or change the quests, they are still the same (sometimes painfully average) stories with cookie-cutter gameplay/combat. They are only really fun the first time around. Imo.
    Options
  • ForumBully
    ForumBully
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah...I can totally see ZoS scrapping it... probably only took a couple of days to make. /s
    Options
  • Treeshka
    Treeshka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depending on the player's desires and way of playing, new class sometimes is not new content for them. Since they might not want to play the game all over again just to enjoy a new class.

Necromancer was almost four years ago but the game progressed a lot so the player characters progressed too.
    Options
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nah
    I prefer class

I can't imagine replaying the whole game. I still very vividly remember all the story beats and can quote some of the dialogue by heart. There're very few storylines that I'd actually like to re-experience. I would just be mashing through the conversations and running from quest arrow to quest arrow. Sounds miserable.

A re-coloured magic ball doesn't enhance or change the quests, they are still the same (sometimes painfully average) stories with cookie-cutter gameplay/combat. They are only really fun the first time around. Imo.

Still more fun than repeating dungeon for me
    If a recolored magic ball as you put it, dont echance gameplay, it doent matter if said magic ball is on a new character or not its still a recollored magic ball.
    Options
  • UnassumingNoob
    UnassumingNoob
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah sadly I play my Templar. And just my Templar. Can’t bring myself to do everything again on a new character. Just don’t have the time. Would have preferred 3 non class related skill lines.
    Options
  • sharquez
    sharquez
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    (The following is a sarcastic joke intended to elicit a chuckle or other suitably appropriate minor emotional response)

Surely they will get right on that just for you, because you asked so nicely. It's not like they locked this stuff in months ago or anything.

(end sarcastic joke)

I wanted spellcrafting/a new skill line as much as the next guy but what can you do?
    I'm just excited for the few months this new class will expectedly break PVP like every other new release.
    This is exactly what was needed to bring me back for sure.
    Options
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The one problem with that is the very limited skill bar slots we have. Three new lines that are universal for every character will be highly underutilized. We already have how many guild lines that people use maybe one skill from because there's no room to slot any more.

Increase the number of skills we can slot at a time and I'm all for it. Instead of 5 + ultimate per front and back bar give us 8 or 10 + ultimate. And I'm on PC so I don't care about console limitations lol.
    Edited by Holycannoli on January 26, 2023 3:05PM
    Options
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ESO class system is pure garbage. They are just re-skins of the same abilities. I don't know why they took the easy beaten path on something so critical, but it's a huge ball drop.

Here's how I would have done it:

1. Player chooses their birth sign (or similar): Warrior, Thief, Mage, or Healer. This determines passives and basic role in end game.

2. Player starts with only access to weapon skill lines by finding and using the various weapons.

3. Player joins guilds to gain access to more skill line passives and abilities (Fighters, Mages, Thieves, Dark Brotherhood)

4. Player pledges fealty to a daedra to get access to the most unique/powerful skill line abilities:

"Arcanist" flavor is Hermaeus Mora worship
    "Nightblade" flavor is Sithis worship
    "Dragonknight" flavor is Arkay worship
    "Templar" flavor is Meridia worship
    Etc etc

HOW AWESOME WOULD THAT HAVE BEEN!?

Ship has definitely sailed though.

Maybe ESO 2 or some Indy ripoff title can fulfill the prophecy

Edited by Solariken on January 26, 2023 3:26PM
    Options
  • KitsuneShoujo
    KitsuneShoujo
    ✭✭✭
    Hoghorn wrote: »
    it's way too late in development to can a new class, what a thought. it was probably too late a year ago, do you think they are just starting to work on the new expac when they do the reveal?

I garauntee you some people actually think this. :o

Skill lines would have been better, but I like that we're getting a book weapon (by the looks of it). Annoying that I have to start a whole new character though. Wouldn't be *as bad* if mount training was account wide.
    Options
  • freespirit
    freespirit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've done Cadwell's completely on multiple characters BUT pretty much everything that came after including Craglorn, I've jumped around on and consequently have no feeling of cohesion.

I've been wanting to make a new character and take it through the whole game for quite a while but couldn't decide which class I wanted to repeat.

I am delighted with a new class and from the little snippets they showed it looks right up my street. My only worry is I might end up silently screaming whilst repeating the base game zones again, I'm hoping it's been long enough for me to enjoy the story!
    When people say to me........
    "You're going to regret that in the morning"
    I sleep until midday cos I'm a problem solver!
    Options
  • fizzylu
    fizzylu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solariken wrote: »
    Here's how I would have done it:

1. Player chooses their birth sign (or similar): Warrior, Thief, Mage, or Healer. This determines passives and basic role in end game.

2. Player starts with only access to weapon skill lines by finding and using the various weapons.

3. Player joins guilds to gain access to more skill line passives and abilities (Fighters, Mages, Thieves, Dark Brotherhood)

4. Player pledges fealty to a daedra to get access to the most unique/powerful skill line abilities:

"Arcanist" flavor is Hermaeus Mora worship
    "Nightblade" flavor is Sithis worship
    "Dragonknight" flavor is Arkay worship
    "Templar" flavor is Meridia worship
    Etc etc

HOW AWESOME WOULD THAT HAVE BEEN!?

Again, another amazing idea Zenimax would have never thought of. I would have loved this.
    Options
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dual Classes

Could I have a Templar with some Nightblade skills?

Options
  • Nihilr
    Nihilr
    ✭✭✭
    3 skill lines broken up but achievable for old characters not limited to class... See-- you all ALMOST get it. Let me push it just a tad further:

Breaking up all the "classes", each character chooses skills they will actually use:

2 ground AoE DoT or 2 ground AoE HoT.
    1 AoE dd or 1 AoE instant heal.
    1 single target heal or 1 single target dd.
    1 defensive buff.
    1 offensive buff.
    1 pull or leap.
    1 root or stun or fear.
    2 group synergy buffs or attacks.

Choose the skills from any class, choose the one that has a passive that works for your build. Choose the one that has a specific aesthetic for your character. You know, kinda like PLAY HOW YOU WANT.

Give back skill identities:

Put class passives into the skills themselves (let it be the 3rd+4th morph) or let players choose only the relevant passives to their playstyle.

Continue with the "combo point" system they mentioned in this years trailer.

This can be balanced because it becomes 1 or 2 skills that may become obviously too overpowered when used in certain builds, rather than ruining an entire class.
    Options
  • The_Titan_Tim
    The_Titan_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every other post is essentially saying the same thing… people do not want the restrictive aspect that a class inherits and these awesome new abilities need to be unlockable by anyone of any class. Psijic Order was a hit when it came out, universally well received for what it was, an active skill line, these could be too.

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_Kevin
    Options
  • The_Titan_Tim
    The_Titan_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nihilr wrote: »
    3 skill lines broken up but achievable for old characters not limited to class... See-- you all ALMOST get it. Let me push it just a tad further:

Breaking up all the "classes", each character chooses skills they will actually use:

2 ground AoE DoT or 2 ground AoE HoT.
    1 AoE dd or 1 AoE instant heal.
    1 single target heal or 1 single target dd.
    1 defensive buff.
    1 offensive buff.
    1 pull or leap.
    1 root or stun or fear.
    2 group synergy buffs or attacks.

Choose the skills from any class, choose the one that has a passive that works for your build. Choose the one that has a specific aesthetic for your character. You know, kinda like PLAY HOW YOU WANT.

Give back skill identities:

Put class passives into the skills themselves (let it be the 3rd+4th morph) or let players choose only the relevant passives to their playstyle.

Continue with the "combo point" system they mentioned in this years trailer.

This can be balanced because it becomes 1 or 2 skills that may become obviously too overpowered when used in certain builds, rather than ruining an entire class.

Arcanist could be the groundwork.
    Edited by The_Titan_Tim on January 27, 2023 4:17AM
    Options
  • Vulkunne
    Vulkunne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And then balance those skill lines to be weaker at first launch and see how it goes. It's still possible to do this. There is 5+ months left!
    • Adding new skill lines adds way more liveness to the existing game. Forcing everyone to give up their mains and redo it all just to get some kind of new mechanic is awful.
    • Because right now. That portal skill is going to be removed. I guarantee. You cannot add a skill like that exclusive to one class and not get a backlash from pvp.

If you take everything from the class and break it down into skill lines it will add so much more to the game!

But the same holds true for any class. If we do things this way you know what's going to happen is the meta crowd will pick a few skill lines, put those up on a pedestal and the rest of them will scarcely find use. It already happens with existing skill lines.

Class identity is worth preserving.
    Today Victory is mine, Long Live the Empire. GG
    Options
  • francesinhalover
    francesinhalover
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They dont care about backlash though and a new class might bring new players
    I am @fluffypallascat pc eu if someone wants to play together
    Shadow strike is the best cp passive ever!
    Options
  • Yamenstein
    Yamenstein
    ✭✭✭✭

Solution to the pvp backlash. They will remove pvp. As all the streamers are saying - if you want to pvp this isn't the game for you. There are better ones out there.
    Might as well remove pvp cyro and make it into a pve zone with harder content (like the old craglorn).
    Options
  • fizzylu
    fizzylu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They dont care about backlash though and a new class might bring new players

Any form of new content can bring in new players.... and maybe it's just me, but I think their main goal should be to keep the current players they have.
    Also.... I find it hard to imagine a class will bring in that many new players. ESO has some of the weakest class design across MMOs (this is not just my opinion either, but a rather common statement I see and hear from many MMO players). Just copy and pasted animations covered up with some new colors and VFX. It also has the problem of animations making the weapons disappear and as odd as it might sound, I know a lot of people who can't stand this about ESO combat.
    Edited by fizzylu on January 27, 2023 7:02AM
    Options
  • Grandsheba
    Grandsheba
    ✭✭✭

Yes I agree I made a poll for this very thing!!

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/626257/arcanist-new-class-vs-new-skill-line/p1
    "The Tower touches all the mantles of Heaven and by its apex one can be as he will. Be as he was and yet changed for all else on that path for those that walk after. This is [CHIM] the secret of how mortals become makers, and makers back to mortals."
    Options
  • phantasmalD
    phantasmalD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah
    I prefer class

Still more fun than repeating dungeon for me
    If a recolored magic ball as you put it, dont echance gameplay, it doent matter if said magic ball is on a new character or not its still a recollored magic ball.

If it's a recolored magic ball, then yeah, but it could always be an oblong trapezoid instead of a ball. Something that plugs a current design hole, instead of being a parallel copy already existing skills.
    Due to ZoS' 'Play how you want' and 'every class can be any role' policies, the class has a highly specific list of features to include; burst and sustained damage/healing, Major Brutality, Major Resolve, crowd control, mobility.
    Will prob have a gimmick or two to make it feel slightly different and unique, but at it's core it will def offer the same abilities.

But if you find enjoyment in playing a new class, then have at it. Have fun.
    Options
  • Jammy420
    Jammy420
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed, you can tell this is a money grab. Absolutely no reason to make this a class.

And if they release it as a class, I EXPECT , at this point in the games lifespan, a damned class change token.
    Options
  • Grandsheba
    Grandsheba
    ✭✭✭
    Hoghorn wrote: »
    it's way too late in development to can a new class, what a thought. it was probably too late a year ago, do you think they are just starting to work on the new expac when they do the reveal?

Yes....that exactly ehat they are doing. They dint even have the passives for the arcanist yet. The majority of the ability's are still being created.

That aside its not too late, we arent asking them to remove the arcanist skills, just to change it from a class to a skill line that's inclusive to all players instead of forcing everyone to start over for one chapter. This chapter won't be released until June, this is why they made a post asking what players think about the new class specifically because now is the time to make any changes. Then it still has to go through pts review. It's absolutely not "too late" at all, it's the perfect time.
    "The Tower touches all the mantles of Heaven and by its apex one can be as he will. Be as he was and yet changed for all else on that path for those that walk after. This is [CHIM] the secret of how mortals become makers, and makers back to mortals."
    Options
  • Grandsheba
    Grandsheba
    ✭✭✭

@ZOS_GinaBruno please read through and make this game more inclusive like other Elderscrolls games. We don't want to start over every chapter by force. To continue with the hero we create is what an RPG is. If others want to restart thsts fine they can, but making new skill lines will appease all sides as it gives everyone an option. Callnit class crafting if you want but uts a feature already in game, from the weapon skill line, to world, guild, war, vampire, werewolf and ect. Just make this inclusive!
    Options
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Skill lines that all can use would benefit the players but not the crown store.
    Options
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fizzylu wrote: »

Wardens are themed to Dark Elves…
    Arcanists will be Hermaeus Mora worshipers?

This is a very specific, unattractive concept for a class. Especially in a roleplaying game.

Yeah, ESO classes aren't usually anything great in my eyes.... but this one seems kind of like an odd choice. I especially find it questionable since there were so many classes players were talking about frequently and "asking" for (druid and bard were two big ones I saw often), but instead Zenimax releases the arcanist.
    Also personal opinion; I think the classes name doesn't suit it and it really bothers me haha

I pretty frequently saw people suggest a spellbook as a weapon skill line, so I think the idea of a class that fights with a tome was still something that was pretty responsive to feedback. Just perhaps not in the exact way people had suggested since most wanted the book to be a weapon.

Arcanist is pretty fitting IMO. It's someone who has secret knowledge, and that fits really well with a Mora cultist who fights with something similar to a black book IMO.
    Options
  • The_Titan_Tim
    The_Titan_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, if this class was broken apart into three skill lines that took time to acquire, and they followed the same theme of 3,000 crowns per, that would be 9,000 crowns per alt… if you have one of every class, that’s 45,000 as you would need to unlock the ability to buy them on your first character.

There is no money loss here, if anything they would be tripling their profit as convenience spenders would 100% buy into those skill lines, as they have been doing with Mage’s Guild and Psijic Order to this day.
    Options