The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Scrap Arcanist and give the game 3 new skills lines every existing character can use.

Red_Feather
Red_Feather
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
And then balance those skill lines to be weaker at first launch and see how it goes. It's still possible to do this. There is 5+ months left!
  • Adding new skill lines adds way more liveness to the existing game. Forcing everyone to give up their mains and redo it all just to get some kind of new mechanic is awful.
  • Because right now. That portal skill is going to be removed. I guarantee. You cannot add a skill like that exclusive to one class and not get a backlash from pvp.

If you take everything from the class and break it down into skill lines it will add so much more to the game!

Edited by Red_Feather on January 25, 2023 10:37PM
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This new class feels more like it should've been skillines instead of the most niche class ever.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • Tensar
    Tensar
    ✭✭✭✭
    It would be nice if it was skill lines instead of a classe. Now it's useless for most ppl.
  • Hoghorn
    Hoghorn
    ✭✭✭
    it's way too late in development to can a new class, what a thought. it was probably too late a year ago, do you think they are just starting to work on the new expac when they do the reveal?
  • IronWooshu
    IronWooshu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What should have been.. What Zenimax will never do.
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not leveling another character. The new skills should have been for all if they expected us to pay for it.
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed. I'd be much more hyped for this if it was for my existing characters too. Not that I don't enjoy leveling new characters, just that I would have enjoyed having something to freshen up existing classes.
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • Kyell
    Kyell
    ✭✭
    I can understand that ZOS couples certain skill lines to a class because of balancing reasons....
    But I would wish that you could change the class of a character with different arsenal slots.
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It’s too late for that. It would have been waaay better for the game if they had released three new skill lines usable by anyone, I agree.
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't know. I just don't get it. In an rpg you want players to feel attached to their characters and continue to invest in them. This is an opportunity lost I suppose.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a bad idea! Then have each skill line locked behind a different quest to get a different Black Book.
    Would make it interesting and tie in how you get the skill lines instead of waking up with a new character that has it all with no association with our previous characters.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They just need to add all class skills to the skill point system so you can pick and choose what you want, play how you want, THATS a quality of life change I want!
    PERTH, AUSTRALIA | PC | NA | @Aussie-Elders

TENTH ANNIVERSARY - Thanks for sticking with us for 10 years.
    James-Wayne you earned this badge 9:56AM on 4th of February 2024.
    529 people have also earned this badge.
  • jtm1018
    jtm1018
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And then balance those skill lines to be weaker at first launch and see how it goes. It's still possible to do this. There is 5+ months left!
    • Adding new skill lines adds way more liveness to the existing game. Forcing everyone to give up their mains and redo it all just to get some kind of new mechanic is awful.
    • Because right now. That portal skill is going to be removed. I guarantee. You cannot add a skill like that exclusive to one class and not get a backlash from pvp.

If you take everything from the class and break it down into skill lines it will add so much more to the game!

For example,
    Imperial race nerfed.
    Warden class nerfed.
    Necromancer class nerfed.
    Oakensoul ring nerfed.

Guess what?
    _______________ nerfed.
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They just need to add all class skills to the skill point system so you can pick and choose what you want, play how you want, THATS a quality of life change I want!

That gives me an idea for a game. Doing that, but skills cost more/less skill points depending on if they are less relevant to your starting vocation. I wonder if a game does that already. Does anyone know what games do? I would like to try it out.
    Edited by Red_Feather on January 26, 2023 1:41AM
  • majulook
    majulook
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of all the things a new Class? Why not add Skill lines to the game for all Classes to use???

Doing all content for GUILDS (mages, fighters, dark brotherhood, thieves, undaunted, Legerdemain, soul magic, psijic order, alliance war, and all the Crafting & decon grind Unlocking all the wayshrines in all the zones, Chasing down skyshards.

Mount Training alone takes 180 days and that is per Character.

With the way ZOS messed up AWA its so bungled up, that I don't enjoy playing my current alt characters. Why Grind 10th?

Yes, you can grind from level 1 t0 50 in a few hours... But its the nightmare of the content to get the skill lines and skill points needed to play the game is just a horrible experience after you do it 3 or 4 or (may the gods forbid) more times.

Oh Yes... You can buy it all in the crown store .... yes you can around 24000 Crowns, just for the Skill lines mentioned above. AND No Skill Points come whit those purchases.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    majulook wrote: »
    With the way ZOS messed up AWA its so bungled up, that I don't enjoy playing my current alt characters. Why Grind 10th?

When elsweyr first came out, I made a new character to play necromancer and I only got to level 18 before I felt so drained from the soulless tedium of redoing stuff I stopped ESO for months. I won't even make it to level 10 this time. It's as lifeless as ESO's events.
    Edited by Red_Feather on January 26, 2023 1:45AM
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's no chance of them scrapping the new class. You'll just have to learn to live with it. :)
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • fizzylu
    fizzylu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know. I just don't get it. In an rpg you want players to feel attached to their characters and continue to invest in them. This is an opportunity lost I suppose.

Yeah, I mainly play one character and normally do not find ESO classes anything to get too excited about to begin with.
    Edited by fizzylu on January 26, 2023 1:51AM
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nah
    I prefer class
    New skill line add zero replayability
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah
    I prefer class

So does a new class if that's your reasoning.
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This class is tied to a chapter. As in, it's only available due to the chapter coming out. I find this highly irregular... In Summerset you got the psijic skill line, you didn't get a psijic class.

Another class with a blink ability might spice things up though.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dr_Con wrote: »
    This class is tied to a chapter. As in, it's only available due to the chapter coming out. I find this highly irregular...

It was exactly the same with the necromancer or the warden.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • The_Titan_Tim
    The_Titan_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »
    This class is tied to a chapter. As in, it's only available due to the chapter coming out. I find this highly irregular...

It was exactly the same with the necromancer or the warden.

Necromancer avoided the Elsweyr and Dragon themes thankfully, which is why I play that class.

Wardens are themed to Dark Elves…
    Arcanists will be Hermaeus Mora worshipers?

This is a very specific, unattractive concept for a class. Especially in a roleplaying game.
  • DairyCat
    DairyCat
    ✭✭✭
    Vevvev wrote: »
    Nah
    I prefer class

You literally have to create a new character to enjoy a new class. If that's not replayability I don't know what is lol.

Skill lines are nice, but I imagine class skills are easier to balance and that's probably the real reason why ZOS doesn't often release new combat skill lines, and when they do they're often very underpowered compared to class skills.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necromancer avoided the Elsweyr and Dragon themes thankfully, which is why I play that class.
    This is a very specific, unattractive concept for a class. Especially in a roleplaying game.

I agree with you. That wasn't what he meant, though, if I understood him right. He wrote:
    This class is tied to a chapter. As in, it's only available due to the chapter coming out.

And this has always been this way. Classes have never been offered seperately.

Edited by Syldras on January 26, 2023 4:12AM
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • fizzylu
    fizzylu
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, ESO classes aren't usually anything great in my eyes.... but this one seems kind of like an odd choice. I especially find it questionable since there were so many classes players were talking about frequently and "asking" for (druid and bard were two big ones I saw often), but instead Zenimax releases the arcanist.
    Also personal opinion; I think the classes name doesn't suit it and it really bothers me haha
    Edited by fizzylu on January 26, 2023 4:15AM
  • The_Titan_Tim
    The_Titan_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also want to add, I 100% agree to this.

People had complaints with Psijic Order when it came out because it was one skill line when we had received three skill lines prior, in the form of a class.

You don’t have to release a class, to release three new skill lines. Fear of balance isn’t a justification, we homogenized everything, remember? All instant-cast ranged spammables hit the same base damage now; all single target damage-over-time do the same damage as each other unless buffed otherwise…

I’m going to buy this chapter because it’s at the very least adding new combat to the game, even if it’s in the form of fighting other players using the class. Because I’m going to do the same thing I did when Warden was released… I’m going to make two Arcanists, a stamina race, and a magicka race, play them each for a few weeks getting massively irritated by the art direction the developers went with the class, and proceed to bench them almost indefinitely.

Rarely will I be playing on my Arcanist, its current state is a Necrom poster child.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DairyCat wrote: »
    Vevvev wrote: »
    Nah
    I prefer class

You literally have to create a new character to enjoy a new class. If that's not replayability I don't know what is lol.

Skill lines are nice, but I imagine class skills are easier to balance and that's probably the real reason why ZOS doesn't often release new combat skill lines, and when they do they're often very underpowered compared to class skills.

But on one hand I only get that new replayability on a single type of character. With a skill line I can then use it on all existing characters in all replayable content in the game. Both add replayability to the game.
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What also would have been neat: Each class getting a new, unique skill line that you have to unlock through Hermaeus Mora's Black Books. I.e., unlocking your class's potential through forbidden knowledge.

What's the point of a class? Why lock out abilities from other characters?
    The idea in single player games is that you can't have it all, and that strengths and weaknessess of your class make you overcome challenges in unique ways.
    In multi player environments, classes are supposed to fit into distinct roles, with different classes being able to support and synergize with each other, thus doing things each player couldn't do on their own and promoting group play.

Neither case is applicable to ESO. Each class plays effectively the same, because designing the game otherwise would lock players out of content due to their class, and we can't have that. And ever since Warden, all classes have been designed to fill all roles in group content, so there is no distinction there, either.

What this means is that for ESO, the sensible way to add new combat mechanics and gameplay styles is through new skill lines that can be used by everyone, not classes.
    Classes mean nothing in ESO. They are just a frustration that force people to abandon their characters, but they don't add anything unique. Complaints about class homogenization over the years have shown as much.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • fizzylu
    fizzylu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »
    What also would have been neat: Each class getting a new, unique skill line that you have to unlock through Hermaeus Mora's Black Books. I.e., unlocking your class's potential through forbidden knowledge.

This is a really great idea, which is why Zenimax would never have thought of it sadly. It could of added some freshness to combat, expanded upon players current character builds and even RP/lore.... it would of had something for everyone, I'd say.
    Edited by fizzylu on January 26, 2023 6:10AM
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I kinda hoped this would be something to spice up gameplay of existing characters... 3 years, nothing. Companions, card game, new class, endless dungeon... nothing that would alter OG characters.