Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Letters being sent out to streamers in advance of the reveal

• alternatelder
    alternatelder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    A little tease to help your theory crafting:

I love the eyes on the ouroboros!

Also note that only two of the three heads in the logo are plainly visible. The third is obscured by the fog. We now know what part of Tamriel this will involve.

Reaching a bit, aren't we?
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Also note that only two of the three heads in the logo are plainly visible. The third is obscured by the fog. We now know what part of Tamriel this will involve.

I think this is exactly the sort of subtle clue that they like to give. Yes, they also could misdirect, but that video is very short on information, so everything in there is deliberate and considered. Nothing in that video can be assumed to be irrelevant.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • alternatelder
    alternatelder
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this is exactly the sort of subtle clue that they like to give. Yes, they also could misdirect, but that video is very short on information, so everything in there is deliberate and considered. Nothing in that video can be assumed to be irrelevant.

If the symbol has been rotated, which it isn't, it never has been. Eagle is always on the bottom, then I might agree. This is just coincidence, it's close to the ground, where the fog is....
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I think you could also say the eyes are visible on all three heads, but end up lingering on the EP head only, so therefore we know where it's set. It's all vague enough that you can read whatever you want from the visuals.

The text is the interesting part imo: "Never have the threads of fate become so twisted. Two worlds hang in the balance. Come, champion. Let us preserve what threatens to unravel, like pages tossed in a roaring fire."

Seems very much like they're teasing a time travel or dragon break scenario here, where we hop back and forth across... two versions of Nirn? Or maybe even kalpas if that's possible? Calling them "worlds" rather than timelines is interesting, which they've done twice now.
    Edited by Darkstorne on January 20, 2023 3:46PM
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darkstorne wrote: »

I think you could also say the eyes are visible on all three heads, but end up lingering on the EP head only, so therefore we know where it's set. It's all vague enough that you can read whatever you want from the visuals.

Isn’t it on the DC head? Even looking for eyes elsewhere, I only clearly see one on the lion.

Where? Falinesti? Or somewhere else in the Dominion since the eagle is obscured by fog?

• alternatelder
    alternatelder
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The text is the interesting part imo: "Never have the threads of fate become so twisted. Two worlds hang in the balance. Come, champion. Let us preserve what threatens to unravel, like pages tossed in a roaring fire."

Seems very much like they're teasing a time travel or dragon break scenario here, where we hop back and forth across... two versions of Nirn? Or maybe even kalpas if that's possible? Calling them "worlds" rather than timelines is interesting, which they've done twice now.

There was already something mentioned that there has been none, nor will there be dragon breaks within ESO. Apocrypha and Tamriel could be the two worlds, hence the green fog, hue in the teaser-which is what Apocrypha is like.
  • Kirawolfe
    Kirawolfe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snamyap wrote: »
    As long as there's a compelling story I don't care whether we're saving the universe or the neighbour's cat.
    ... please let it be the cat

• Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kirawolfe wrote: »
    Snamyap wrote: »
    As long as there's a compelling story I don't care whether we're saving the universe or the neighbour's cat.
    ... please let it be the cat

There are no cats on Telvanni Peninsula (or the Telvanni Isles, which would also be a possible location). Maybe you'd like to save a Vvardvark, the most adorable Telvanni creation so far, instead?
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • Luke_Flamesword
    Luke_Flamesword
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They are having less and less free space in Tamriel and most of it is in couple provinces: Skyrim, Cyrodiil, Hammerfell, Black Marsh and Morrowind. It we have Telvanni this year, than they will only 4 provinces to switch between next years? How many argonian marshes and another Skyrim chapters we can take before it will be too boring?

So I think that they make a bigger plot which will bring us to another Tamriel in couple years (2-4?). It can be time travel or another dimension in some kind parallel universe.
    PC | EU | DC |Stam Dk Breton
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I think that they make a bigger plot which will bring us to another Tamriel in couple years (2-4?). It can be time travel or another dimension in some kind parallel universe.

How about all those portals in Fargrave. They can continue to add to those and they could go to any plane that can be thought up.
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »
    BretonMage wrote: »
    He's probably quite young, but since Dunmer live hundreds of years naturally, and he's a magister (edit: oops, master) by the time you meet him, I think he must have been born by 2E.

Or maybe he progressed in rank very fast. We can't say for sure as we don't know how old he really is. To me, personally, he didn't seem that old in TES3, especially compared to Therana, who's old (and quite insane) in the 3rd era - and she's still a young woman now in ESO. Considering he's possibly much younger, maybe he's still a kid at the moment, and as there aren't any visible kids in ESO... ;)

Yes, we know in Tamriel they all pop out fully grown. Tbh, haven't even seen pregnant women there either.
  • HailstoSithis
    HailstoSithis
    ✭✭✭

EDIT: Okay, wowow... Based on the quote from the link above "...Let us preserve what threatens to unravel, like pages tossed in a roaring fire.", the quote below and the quote from the letters sent out, "Many paths lead forward, but only one ends with the survival of Nirn. At this particular moment, in this specific instance, you must be the thread that keeps reality itself from unraveling.", I now believe we will visit an instance of a possible future(s?) to prevent our timeline from entering a point in history where Tamriel meets it doom. We will be summoned "...as soon as the inescapable fortunes of consequence show..." Leramil the Wise "...where we are headed most."

I could be wrong there, but here is something to support this claim; Hermaeus Mora "...is a Daedric Prince whose sphere is forbidden knowledge and the "scrying of the tides of Fate, of the past and future as read in the stars and heavens, and in whose dominion are the treasures of knowledge and memory"."

Sources: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:The_Book_of_Daedra
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Hermaeus_Mora

New Possibility: I think the "two worlds" may refer to our mortal plane (Nirn), and the planes of Oblivion, of which Nirn is potentially considered an extension of. If our reality (Nirn) is truly an extension of the planes of Oblivion, then any threat to the planes of Oblivion would also threaten our very existence as well.

So perhaps, we are to save the planes of Oblivion from certain destruction to prevent our timeline from coming unraveled by this predicament? Hmm... lol this really got my brain jogging.
    Edited by HailstoSithis on January 20, 2023 5:49PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There was already something mentioned that there has been none, nor will there be dragon breaks within ESO. Apocrypha and Tamriel could be the two worlds, hence the green fog, hue in the teaser-which is what Apocrypha is like.

I don't think this is a dragon break scenario, either. Never been in one, and hope we never are. From a real world perspective it was a literary device to address a game (TES 2) that had multiple player-driven outcomes that allowed them to all be canon for the next game. I can see why they did it. It was quick and dirty, but it should not be repeated.
    They are having less and less free space in Tamriel and most of it is in couple provinces: Skyrim, Cyrodiil, Hammerfell, Black Marsh and Morrowind. It we have Telvanni this year, than they will only 4 provinces to switch between next years? How many argonian marshes and another Skyrim chapters we can take before it will be too boring?

ZOS has more space to use for stories than there are Chapters left in the game. The have Oblivion planes and if they run out of those, infinite pocket realms that can be explored, not to mention continents on Nirn that are totally unexplored. They don't need to invent time travel, like Blizzard did in World of Warcraft, to give themselves more room.

Edited by Elsonso on January 20, 2023 5:50PM
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BretonMage wrote: »
    Yes, we know in Tamriel they all pop out fully grown. Tbh, haven't even seen pregnant women there either.

There are two quest that come to my mind:
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:The_Memory_Stone
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:The_Fading_Tree
    Also there are a few characters mentioning their childhood. So I assume all children are just hiding inside all those closed buildings.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Got a source for that? I'd be very interested to see a dev saying "never" when this track exists in the game :tongue:
    https://youtu.be/kqizC80F_js
  • alternatelder
    alternatelder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got a source for that? I'd be very interested to see a dev saying "never" when this track exists in the game :tongue:
    https://youtu.be/kqizC80F_js

I never said no dragon breaks in the lore of ESO, just none that take place during ESO's timeline. And yes, there is a source for it, I believe it was during Elsweyr livestream, a response to everyone claiming dragon break because there were dragons. You can google, I'm not taking more time to search and post it.
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Confirmed. The new Chapter will have wind noises! :smile:

giphy.gif

Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • DrNukenstein
    DrNukenstein
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Divayth Fyr will teach us about game and parenting
  • Nilandia
    Nilandia
    ✭✭✭
    Documenting this in a thread. Lotus of Doom received one, text is below. Photo used with permission.
    Proxy,

The tide of fate swirls around you with glorious fury and has chosen you to serve as its surrogate in a crisis most perilous. The future of at least two worlds hangs in the balance. Your talent for changing destiny has been noticed, hence the reason for this letter.

Many paths lead forward, but only one ends with the survival of Nirn. At this particular moment, in this specific instance, you must be the thread that keeps reality itself from unraveling.

I shall summon you as soon as the inescapable fortunes of consequence show me where we are headed most.

Leramil the Wise

Edit: Under black light, the letter shows the sigil of Hermaeus Mora

0xrjbwiefh0t.png

Edit 2: Wanted to add that three four ESO streamers have posted images of letters they received. So far, all of them are the same.

Just wanted to point out that the transcription of this letter is somewhat incorrect. The last sentence should read "show me where we are needed most," rather than "show me where we are headed most."
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    Could "Leramil the Wise" be an anagram?

I AM WILL THE SEER

HEALERS WE LIMIT

Healing nerfs confirmed.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nilandia wrote: »
    Just wanted to point out that the transcription of this letter is somewhat incorrect. The last sentence should read "show me where we are needed most," rather than "show me where we are headed most."

Good catch. :disappointed: Fixed.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You forgot Elsweyr. :)
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The thing I am most interested in is whether Hermaeus Mora and his minions will be the antagonists or Apocrypha is the other world that is in danger, needing to be saved.
    "Unraveling reality" sounds like Mora is trying to figure out the Tamriel equivalent of the world formula, like unraveling a mystery. That obviously couldn't be a good thing, so he'd be an antagonist.
    But "preserve what threatens to unravel, like pages tossed in a roaring fire" sounds like a complete tone shift with the goal being to protect knowledge, which would be something Mora would probably like. That gives me vibes that Mora could be the good guy in this and that would tell us what the other realm needing to be saved is too.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure if he knows much about that, considering his daughters are all cloned, most probably already in their adult state. Let alone they don't even exist yet.
    Ratzkifal wrote: »
    The thing I am most interested in is whether Hermaeus Mora and his minions will be the antagonists or Apocrypha is the other world that is in danger, needing to be saved.

Considering the player character ist most likely the person adressed in the letter, I see Hermaeus Mora calling us for cooperation.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Considering the player character ist most likely the person adressed in the letter, I see Hermaeus Mora calling us for cooperation.

Just because HM might start out on our side does not mean it will end up that way. :smile:
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Just because HM might start out on our side does not mean it will end up that way. :smile:

Okay, but then I imagine the "betrayal" will take place somewhere at the end of the story and we'll not have him as the antagonist for most of the time. Which stills leads to the question who the first antagonist is, or if it's really Vaermina as some think.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure if he knows much about that, considering his daughters are all cloned, most probably already in their adult state. Let alone they don't even exist yet.

We don't know how Hermaeus Mora's logo got onto the letter. It might not have been something the author of the letter was aware of. His symbol appearing on the letter might simply be due to Mora's influence creeping in everywhere. Perhaps this simply shows Mora read the letter too? So I would not bet that the author is associated with Hermaeus Mora at all - or at least not being on friendly terms with him.
    That being said, it's not impossible either. That's what makes it so intriguing.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We don't know how Hermaeus Mora's logo got onto the letter. It might not have been something the author of the letter was aware of. His symbol appearing on the letter might simply be due to Mora's influence creeping in everywhere. Perhaps this simply shows Mora read the letter too? So I would not bet that the author is associated with Hermaeus Mora at all - or at least not being on friendly terms with him.
    That being said, it's not impossible either. That's what makes it so intriguing.

I'm not going only by the logo but by the text:
    "The tide of fate swirls around you with glorious fury and has chosen you to serve as its surrogate in a crisis most perilous."
    Hermaeus Mora is called the "Master of the Tides of Fate". He has chosen the letter's recipient to serve him in this matter.
    "Your talent for changing destiny has been noticed, hence the reason for this letter."
    This is most likely adressing the player character. Or at least I don't know who else would be known for that.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • TinyDragon
    TinyDragon
    ✭✭✭

I've looked everywhere and I have not found a single reference of 'world' when talking about a plane of Oblivion- it could be, but I'm not sold because it seems very deliberate wording.....
  • Supreme_Atromancer
    Supreme_Atromancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, OK. Hear me out.

Firstly, for my guess, I'm relying on "interpreting" the definition of "worlds" in this context. Which, given we have nothing immediately obvious, we have to do. Its either extremely literal, and we are going to experience another world altogether, or "world" in this instance has one of its extended definitions. The World of Tamriel vs. some Oblivion "world". Or the Nordic World vs. The Dunmeri one.

With that, let's say its Telvanni or Blacklight, but also Winterhold. They're all reasonably proximal, and given we've done islands before, would it not be possible?

Winterhold always had a large population of Dunmer, something remarkable for a Nordic city, which was typically, historically enemies with Morrowind. If the new chapter(?) is to have a Dunmer theme, it would not be a huge stretch.

During the events of Skyrim's College questline, the Psijic Qaranir repeatedly discusses fate, as does the Augur of Dunlain. By the end of the questline, the enigmatic, dripping-with-meaning lines seem to be bemusing and empty. Almost like plot threads left dangling. Combined with the truncated feel of the questline, a lot of fans were left speculating.

The Great Collapse was speculated to have been originally intended to play a pivotal role in an expanded College questline, but was theoretically axed when they ran out of time, giving us the abridged, and remarkably short quest we have gotten.

The fan theory goes that the quest would have seen us go back in time before the Great Collapse, and change timelines such that we could have stopped the Great Collapse from happening in the first place.

Given the anticlimatic nature of the TES5 College questline, even many of those who feel the theory is dubious agree it would have been an awesome alternative.

What if... ZOS takes this hook and makes something of it? What if we were to get to see pre-collapse Winterhold, but it is bound in the threads of fate, and temporal tears? What if the Eye of Magnus is something that Mister Mora would like to get his hands on, but some force is hiding it in time? What if it is the World of the Nords, and that of the Dunmer that is at stake?

Just crazy speculation based on very little, but it would be pretty awesome.