Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Letters being sent out to streamers in advance of the reveal

• SilverIce58
    SilverIce58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »
    "Proxy, The tide of fate swirls around you with glorious fury and has chosen you to serve as its surrogate in a crisis most perilous."

I don't think there's more behind that.

So, to sum it up:

The person the letter is adressed to (player character, who else is known for saving the world?) was chosen by "the tide of fate" (= Hermaeus Mora) and therefore adressed by one of his cultists (that would be the mer Leramil - "the Wise" would also be a fitting rank for a Mora cult, btw) to stop some danger for 2 worlds, so probably for Nirn and his own realm (Apocrypha).

Who could be powerful enough to be a danger to Hermaeus Mora? Is any mortal capable of that, or only another Daedric Prince? If it's the latter, the traditional opponent is Vaermina the Dreamweaver, as was pointed out correctly, which also fits the description about the "the thread that keeps reality itself from unraveling".

I know this might be a longshot considering its Daggerfall lore and it hasnt really been mentioned in the games, but Mora's uesp page states that He and Vaermina are enemies, so maybe it could be like Mora is trying to recruit you to save the waking and dreaming worlds from Vaermina.

Which sucks bc I love both Princes (Vaermina is my number 1 tho), but it doesn't suck because thats more screentime for both Princes as well, and probably more lore as well.
    PC - NA
    CP 1125
    Veric Blackwood - Breton Magsorc DC
    Xhiak-Qua'cthurus - Argonian Frost Warden EP
    Kujata-qa - Khajiit Magplar AD
    Suunleth-dar - Khajiit Stamblade AD
    Teldryn Antharys - Dunmer Flame DK EP
    Strikes-With-Venom - Argonian Poison DK EP
    Rur'san-ra - Khajiit WW Stamsorc AD
    Ilianos Solinar - Altmer Stamplar AD
    Iscah Silver-Heart - Reachman Magden DC
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Proxy, The tide of fate swirls around you with glorious fury and has chosen you to serve as its surrogate in a crisis most perilous."

So, to sum it up:

The person the letter is adressed to (player character, who else is known for saving the world?) was chosen by "the tide of fate" (= Hermaeus Mora) and therefore adressed by one of his cultists (that would be the mer Leramil - "the Wise" would also be a fitting rank for a Mora cult, btw) to stop some danger for 2 worlds, so probably for Nirn and his own realm (Apocrypha).

Who could be powerful enough to be a danger to Hermaeus Mora? Is any mortal capable of that, or only another Daedric Prince? If it's the latter, the traditional opponent is Vaermina the Dreamweaver, as was pointed out correctly, which also fits the description about the "the thread that keeps reality itself from unraveling".

I think the key phrase is: the thread that keeps reality itself from unraveling

I agree with people who think this is somehow a translation in time. Could be the past unraveling the present, or the present unraveling the future.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Malthorne wrote: »
    bfx4383mnqra.jpeg

Not only does it reveal Hermaeus Mora but also that we are going to Blacklight. Very clever ZOS

xyYj3yA.jpg
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • ForumBully
    ForumBully
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really wanted spellcrafting a few years ago when the team seemed close to caring, but lately...the pitfalls around such a system in the hands of a team that produces a nonstop stream of broken sets and can't be bothered to address any problems in less than 6 months (if ever) are just too numerous and perilous to contemplate.
    I now believe a spellcrafting system will be watered down to being pointless, a frustrating grind that makes us avoid it, or poorly thought through enough to be devastating to any hope of balanced combat.

• Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know this might be a longshot considering its Daggerfall lore and it hasnt really been mentioned in the games, but Mora's uesp page states that He and Vaermina are enemies, so maybe it could be like Mora is trying to recruit you to save the waking and dreaming worlds from Vaermina.
    Which sucks bc I love both Princes (Vaermina is my number 1 tho), but it doesn't suck because thats more screentime for both Princes as well, and probably more lore as well.

It was clear though that they won't ever show Vaermina as something else than an antagonist. I mean, it's not exactly nice to torture people by giving them nightmares and stealing their memories in that process ;) Of course what Hermaeus Mora did to the Skaal shaman in Skyrim wasn't much nicer either, but Mora has a tradition to be shown a bit more positively in the TES games somehow.

The big question now is where the new story will take place. The Telvanni Peninsula seems fitting (not only because the assumptions about spellcrafting being the new system), with House Telvanni's ambitious striving for knowledge (that often crosses boundaries in the eyes of other people, and that does include forbidden techniques and involvement with daedra sometimes). Although I somehow thought ZOS would explore House Indoril more (who also have settlements on Telvanni Peninsula) before giving us more content about the Houses that already had their bigger questlines on Vvardenfell - but who knows, maybe they'll do both Telvanni and Indoril in this chapter (and I'd be surprised if there wasn't also more Morag Tong stuff with Naryu - maybe she'll even lead through the main story this time, although that would disappoint me a bit, as I'd rather want a Telvanni if the story is mainly about them).
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd rather Vaermina than dunmer. Sorry. Not at all my sort of "fun".

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome! Thank you for sharing.

also what led you to think about examining the letter under a black light?
  • wilykcat
    wilykcat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    Honest question, what do people find interesting about a new race? All races in ESO besides Khajit / Argonian look basically identical with different faces. Maormer would look exactly like Altmer / Dunmer just with a different skin shade.

If we’d talk about very distinctive and different races like in WoW, Lord of the Rings Online or Guild Wars 2 for example, I’d totally understand the excitement. But all ESO races are build from the exact same model and have minimal differences outside of their faces (and in many cases even the faces are very similar).

More advanced character customizations will fix that. Also new races that aren't humans.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zuboko wrote: »
    also what led you to think about examining the letter under a black light?

It would be one of the first things I'd think about, to be honest. Especially since UV color, from my experience, isn't completely invisible on paper (although hard to see without an UV flashlight or lamp).
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • SilverIce58
    SilverIce58
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It was clear though that they won't ever show Vaermina as something else than an antagonist. I mean, it's not exactly nice to torture people by giving them nightmares and stealing their memories in that process ;) Of course what Hermaeus Mora did to the Skaal shaman in Skyrim wasn't much nicer either, but Mora has a tradition to be shown a bit more positively in the TES games somehow.

The big question now is where the new story will take place. The Telvanni Peninsula seems fitting (not only because the assumptions about spellcrafting being the new system), with House Telvanni's ambitious striving for knowledge (that often crosses boundaries in the eyes of other people, and that does include forbidden techniques and involvement with daedra sometimes). Although I somehow thought ZOS would explore House Indoril more (who also have settlements on Telvanni Peninsula) before giving us more content about the Houses that already had their bigger questlines on Vvardenfell - but who knows, maybe they'll do both Telvanni and Indoril in this chapter (and I'd be surprised if there wasn't also more Morag Tong stuff with Naryu - maybe she'll even lead through the main story this time, although that would disappoint me a bit, as I'd rather want a Telvanni if the story is mainly about them).

Maybe Sun-in-Shadow makes a return and is our guide through the Telvanni lands. I'd be fine with her or Revus Demnevanni, as they're really the only 2 memorable Telvanni introduced so far imo.
    PC - NA
    CP 1125
    Veric Blackwood - Breton Magsorc DC
    Xhiak-Qua'cthurus - Argonian Frost Warden EP
    Kujata-qa - Khajiit Magplar AD
    Suunleth-dar - Khajiit Stamblade AD
    Teldryn Antharys - Dunmer Flame DK EP
    Strikes-With-Venom - Argonian Poison DK EP
    Rur'san-ra - Khajiit WW Stamsorc AD
    Ilianos Solinar - Altmer Stamplar AD
    Iscah Silver-Heart - Reachman Magden DC
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe Sun-in-Shadow makes a return and is our guide through the Telvanni lands. I'd be fine with her or Revus Demnevanni, as they're really the only 2 memorable Telvanni introduced so far imo.

Divayth Fyr ;) Although he probably has better things to do. I guess Revus would be the most likable though, that most players could get along with.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • delta_mystic
    delta_mystic
    ✭✭✭
    Olauron wrote: »
    Elsonso wrote: »
    What if that is the new feature. Children.

A new crafting skill :D

legally requires Pledge of Mara and flawless public recitation of all Lusty Argonian Maid poems. ;)
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    Me, reading everyone's theories:
    giphy.gif

My theory is that we are going to see a dragon break. If you have a dragon break, then suddenly, it leaves you with more play room to do more story content without affecting future stories.
  • Supreme_Atromancer
    Supreme_Atromancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LonePirate wrote: »
    In one of the ESO Live streams from early 2015 (maybe 2016), Gina said that Hermaeus Mora was connected to the disappearance of all children from Tamriel. Perhaps that mystery will finally be solved this year.

Hey! How does one craft ch.... ooooooooooooooh.

Oh.

Smoulder Scrolls 2: The Consequences of My Actions.

Confirmed.
  • Supreme_Atromancer
    Supreme_Atromancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe Sun-in-Shadow makes a return and is our guide through the Telvanni lands.

Man, I loved that story soooo much. I think it was masterfully done.

My only problem is that the story is entirely told, tbh. There's no more to tell. I worry it would be hard for ANY writer to reintroduce Sun without cheapening the whole thing.

Seeing Eoki again would be nice.
  • Supreme_Atromancer
    Supreme_Atromancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Malthorne wrote: »
    bfx4383mnqra.jpeg

Not only does it reveal Hermaeus Mora but also that we are going to Blacklight. Very clever ZOS

xyYj3yA.jpg

#FixTheMap!
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Spellcrafting would give ESO undying longevity. As long as the feature would be supported, there will be people hanging on every patch note looking to see what new spells are getting revealed.

Meh, just like everything else 1 or 2 spells could become meta and all anybody used really.

It would still be fun for the majority
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    Me, reading everyone's theories:
    giphy.gif

I checked. Michael Jackson is not lore friendly. Hmm. Does this mean a cross over IP deal?

No no it's bard college dlc
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

legally requires Pledge of Mara and flawless public recitation of all Lusty Argonian Maid poems. ;)

Craft your own books!
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hermaeus Mora is interesting.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • ElvenOverlord
    ElvenOverlord
    ✭✭✭✭

So, to sum it up:

Vaermina does have unfinished business with us from the Stormhaven storyline.

"Perhaps we will. You have proven resourceful in the past. Even if you escape Quagmire, mortal, you will not escape my vengeance. I can be patient, very patient. Goodbye … for now." -Vaermina

• Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wilykcat wrote: »
    Honest question, what do people find interesting about a new race? All races in ESO besides Khajit / Argonian look basically identical with different faces. Maormer would look exactly like Altmer / Dunmer just with a different skin shade.

If we’d talk about very distinctive and different races like in WoW, Lord of the Rings Online or Guild Wars 2 for example, I’d totally understand the excitement. But all ESO races are build from the exact same model and have minimal differences outside of their faces (and in many cases even the faces are very similar).

More advanced character customizations will fix that. Also new races that aren't humans.

Advanced customization won't help unless they completely redo the body models for all races, because they're exactly the same. And I don't see how a Maormer race (human with pointy ears) could change that. If at all, new beast races are something you'd recognize, but just another Mer? Hardly so, in my opinion. I'm totally up for visiting Pyandonea or have more Maormer-related stuff. I do have nothing against new races, but please don't make it a "staple feature".

This letter got me very hyped for the announcement, more than anything else ever since the Wrathstone Tablet for the Elsweyr presentation. Next Wednesday can't come soon enough.
    Edited by Seraphayel on January 19, 2023 7:46AM
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I see we're saving the world for the...oh, what are we up to now...fourth or fifth time?

Riley Finn : Buffy... When I saw you stop the world from, you know, ending... I just assumed that was a big week for you. It turns out I suddenly find myself... needing to know the plural of apocalypse.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could "Leramil the Wise" be an anagram?
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could "Leramil the Wise" be an anagram?

Obviously something with "weasel" ;) No, I think it's just a name, to be honest. The npc we'll meet at the beginning of the questline.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I see we're saving the world for the...oh, what are we up to now...fourth or fifth time?

As long as there's a compelling story I don't care whether we're saving the universe or the neighbour's cat.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zuboko wrote: »
    My theory is that we are going to see a dragon break. If you have a dragon break, then suddenly, it leaves you with more play room to do more story content without affecting future stories.

ZOS has said no dragon break, and I am hoping they mean that in all the various forms and variations of the phrase, and they stick to it.
    No no it's bard college dlc

If we got a Bard class this year, Mr Matygon would probably be very very pleased.
    Advanced customization won't help unless they completely redo the body models for all races, because they're exactly the same. And I don't see how a Maormer race (human with pointy ears) could change that. If at all, new beast races are something you'd recognize, but just another Mer? Hardly so, in my opinion. I'm totally up for visiting Pyandonea or have more Maormer-related stuff. I do have nothing against new races, but please don't make it a "staple feature".

Similar thoughts. There are no known interesting and unused races on Nirn that are differentiated from the ones we already have. New races have to be interesting, unique, and fill a gap. Has to be this way for more than manufactured reasons, too. Just having a humanoid with pasty skin and white eyes that is good around water is more creating the illusion of need so that bank accounts can be filled with revenue money.

If the game needs a new race, it needs a new race that is not some recolored elf. We have plenty of elves. One of the non-elf races is treated like they are too stupid or drunk to count to three. One... Two... MEAD!... uh... One... The beast races are treated like either cuddly pets or future footwear. The Bretons? When ZOS decided to focus on them, we discovered that they are so boring that the only way to make them interesting was druids on some island no one thinks about.

If we get a new race, I want it to be interesting and meaningful. I don't want a marketing exercise given form.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Hurbster
    Hurbster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So, I'm guessing Proxy will be our name for the adventure?
    So they raised the floor and lowered the ceiling. Except the ceiling has spikes in it now and the floor is also lava.
  • Kallykat
    Kallykat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I, for one, find all the different non-playable elven races fascinating and would love it if we got more interactions with them and possibly even a new playable race option, especially if it's Maormer. I wouldn't balk at other, less-humanoid races being made playable either, but that is even less likely.
    Edited by Kallykat on January 20, 2023 3:04AM
  • jle30303
    jle30303
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who knows. Maybe a war of the wizards will see both Telvannis and Winterhold after the same thing?