The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

And another block bug...

• React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't wait for the entire game to be recoded. The track record is at an all time high

Well you'll be waiting a while! Here is a little copy pasta from another thread.
    One of our main priorities right now is upgrading the remaining server hardware which is still ongoing and on track - we'll have an update on the timeline before the end of the year. We have also been working on the re-architecture we originally mentioned earlier this year. It's worth noting this isn't a single item that will go into an individual update, but contains many smaller pieces that will be released over multiple updates starting next year.

Since this is the ONLY update we got in the 11 months the project has been underway, I can only assume that this statement means that they intend to finish replacing the servers hardware before implementing any "chunk" of this code rewrite. With the timeline for that being unclear, I am assuming the earliest we would see a chunk of this project roll out is Q2, but more likely Q3 2023. If I am correct about that, it means that the earliest the project would be completed would likely be in 2024, over a year after the initial completion date we were promised.
    Edited by React on December 5, 2022 10:25PM
    @ReactSlower - PC/NA - 2000+ CP
    React Faster - XB/NA - 1500+ CP
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
  • Carcamongus
    Carcamongus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Players when they found out about yet another block bug:

g16tqw37rfxw.gif

Seriously, though, I would like to know what's going on. The amount of mishaps, to put it mildly, we've been seeing is considerable. It's important to keep calm when faced by many obstacles, but there comes a time when acting as if everything were under control when it clearly isn't becomes detrimental. "We'll have to do better" could start with letting the people who support this game know why this year is being so turbulent. I don't think devs are incompetent or careless, but something is clearly out of place and it'd be far easier to understand their side if we actually got to see it.

So, my group that was starting vet Sunspire vanished because of U35, I very reluctantly helped a friend with vet Depths of Malalalatar because of U36's block bug and now I wouldn't risk a vet dungeon because of the new bug. I'm a tank and the game is making it very hard for me to do my job. These are legitimate reasons to be furious, but I'm concerned whatever's happening on the devs' side will continue into next year and put the future of the game I love at risk.
    Imperial DK and Necro tank. PC/NA
    "Nothing is so bad that it can't get any worse." (Brazilian saying)
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "We'll have to do better" could start with letting the people who support this game know why this year is being so turbulent. I don't think devs are incompetent or careless, but something is clearly out of place and it'd be far easier to understand their side if we actually got to see it.

Better (and frank) communication would go a long way, but for ages we couldn't even get a definitive answer as to whether the promised Q&A was cancelled, which says a lot about their willingness to inform us in general. The thing is if the reason is having less resources because the studio is focusing on other projects, they wouldn't say that, because there's already 'game is dead' posts on the forums, they wouldn't want to further ignite that.
  • beer781993
    beer781993
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder which color the next guar will be
  • Lydawobbles
    Lydawobbles
    ✭✭✭
    I think they took too many people off eso for their fancy “new AAA mmo” and we’re stuck with too big of a job for too few people to fix.
    I am so sad.
    Edited by Lydawobbles on December 5, 2022 10:39PM
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    React wrote: »
    Can't wait for the entire game to be recoded. The track record is at an all time high

Well you'll be waiting a while! Here is a little copy pasta from another thread.
    One of our main priorities right now is upgrading the remaining server hardware which is still ongoing and on track - we'll have an update on the timeline before the end of the year. We have also been working on the re-architecture we originally mentioned earlier this year. It's worth noting this isn't a single item that will go into an individual update, but contains many smaller pieces that will be released over multiple updates starting next year.

Since this is the ONLY update we got in the 11 months the project has been underway, I can only assume that this statement means that they intend to finish replacing the servers hardware before implementing any "chunk" of this code rewrite. With the timeline for that being unclear, I am assuming the earliest we would see a chunk of this project roll out is Q2, but more likely Q3 2023. If I am correct about that, it means that the earliest the project would be completed would likely be in 2024, over a year after the initial completion date we were promised.

Yeah, game might be better off the less they mess with code is what I'm saying. Might be in luck because if they keep breaking combat with these patches we'd think should be routine; everyone that cares about combat performance will be long gone before they are done
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So, I'm guessing the patch in a few days will do nothing for us console folks? Our DB prob has been cancelled for like a month now because of this. I guess I'll be playing FF14 even longer...
  • danthemann5
    danthemann5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So when will this be fixed? January? July? Next December?

Anyone listening (lol)?

The very real and totally in-progress recode is going to be awesome!
    Edited by danthemann5 on December 5, 2022 10:50PM
    ZeniMax has no obligation to correct any errors or defects in the Services.

Greetings! We've closed this thread due to its non-constructive nature.

"You know you don't have to be here right?" - ZOS_RichLambert
  • Lixen
    Lixen
    This issue seems related to sheath weapon and can occur in any zone. I have tried all the trials and few base game and dlc zones, all same results.

Step to reproduce: have weapon sheathed, press light attack and immediately after press bar swap (same speed as light attack skill weaving or faster works). block will be bugged and cannot be fixed without zoning (porting within the zone or reloading ui doesn't fix it)

@ZOS_GinaBruno steps to reproduce
    Edited by Lixen on December 5, 2022 11:10PM
  • Andeh_s
    Andeh_s
    ✭✭
    FIX

As others have mentioned, this has been an issue on console since the Firesong launch.

Other than changing instance, the block bug can also be fixed by mounting, sprinting on your mount and whilst STILL SPRINTING, hit light attack. Your character will dismount and you will be able to block again.
  • Csleia
    Csleia
    ✭✭✭

Anyone listening (lol)?

it will be fixed when rich stops apologizing and does his job
  • Lydawobbles
    Lydawobbles
    ✭✭✭
    Andeh_s wrote: »
    FIX

As others have mentioned, this has been an issue on console since the Firesong launch.

Other than changing instance, the block bug can also be fixed by mounting, sprinting on your mount and whilst STILL SPRINTING, hit light attack. Your character will dismount and you will be able to block again.

Too bad you can’t mount in trials and dungeons, where most people are having the issues.
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Csleia wrote: »

Anyone listening (lol)?

it will be fixed when rich stops apologizing and does his job

Well clearly this is a case of you can't please everyone. Some people like the block bug. Some don't

/Snark
  • Andeh_s
    Andeh_s
    ✭✭
    FIX

Too bad you can’t mount in trials and dungeons, where most people are having the issues.

Very true! However it is a handy fix for Cyrodiil rather than zoning out/in. I've been getting this bug at least once an hour in PvP since the DLC launch
  • Lydawobbles
    Lydawobbles
    ✭✭✭
    Not awesome that you’re getting the bug so often, but “awesome” that it fixes for you 🤗
    Edited by Lydawobbles on December 5, 2022 11:22PM
  • LyricsEcho
    LyricsEcho
    ✭✭✭
    This is beyond ridiculous. Quality assurance could have easily caught this current bug and im absolutely sure you guys knew about it before the "fix" rolled out.
  • Paralyse
    Paralyse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This bug is pervasive enough, severe enough, and has such a negative effect on many areas of core gameplay that it merits an immediate and full commitment of dev resources to get it fixed ASAP.

In other words, this issue should far and away be the #1 priority of anyone working on ESO currently. Even if that means we have to have the servers come down for awhile to apply a hotfix.

I do not understand why ZOS does not seem to be taking this as seriously as the rest of us are, and why they do not seem to be committing ALL of their dev team resources to fix the issue. The game lately is in a state where continuing to make players want to quit is not a good strategy.
    Paralyse, Sanguine's Tester - Enjoying ESO since beta. Trial clears: vSS HM, Crag HM's, vRG Oax HM, vMoL DD, vKA HM, vCR+1, vAS IR, vDSR, vSE
  • Csleia
    Csleia
    ✭✭✭
    beer781993 wrote: »
    I wonder which color the next guar will be

The red, green and blue use 8 bits each, which have integer values from 0 to 255. This makes 256*256*256=16777216 possible colors.

• React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FIX

This would be great...

if I could exit combat while in cyrodiil.

Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
  • imaslowlearner
    imaslowlearner
    ✭✭✭
    Y'all need to stop complaining about the new block feature and adapt to the new meta.

v0gxcxcz9exj.png

vbndleerp2pm.png

u087fxew3uue.png
  • FluffyReachWitch
    FluffyReachWitch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lixen wrote: »
    Step to reproduce: have weapon sheathed, press light attack and immediately after press bar swap (same speed as light attack skill weaving or faster works). block will be bugged and cannot be fixed without zoning (porting within the zone or reloading ui doesn't fix it)

Just tried this myself and reproduced it in one attempt. Showed my partner and they were able to reproduce it in one attempt as well.
  • React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://streamable.com/1bky3k

Here is the bug demonstrated with an input overlay, using controller on PC NA. I also demonstrate the workaround @Andeh_s shared.

To replicate: Sheathe your weapon. With weapons away, press light attack -> barswap immediately after. Your block will no longer activate at all.

Workaround: Mount up. Press sprint. While sprinting, press light attack. You'll be dismounted and you will be able to block again.

@ZOS_GinaBruno

Edited by React on December 6, 2022 12:00AM
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
  • beer781993
    beer781993
    ✭✭✭✭
    I mean don't they see that all this mistakes and bad communication hurt the reputation of their company?
    Even if they get their new project done faster, many will not pre purchase or even buy it. At least I will never buy another Zeni game. Can't go through that again.
  • Lixen
    Lixen
    beer781993 wrote: »
    I mean don't they see that all this mistakes and bad communication hurt the reputation of their company?
    Even if they get their new project done faster, many will not pre purchase or even buy it. At least I will never buy another Zeni game. Can't go through that again.

They see it, and they know, that's why their QA department is unionizing not get axed, MS might catch up soon.
  • PurpleScroll
    PurpleScroll
    ✭✭✭✭
    Workaround: Mount up. Press sprint. While sprinting, press light attack. You'll be dismounted and you will be able to block again.

Can confirm that this works, nice find!
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For anyone who isn't aware, you can unsheathe your weapon by tapping block once. It's instant (< 100ms) and this is the recommended way to unsheathe in PvP so the animation doesn't lock your skills for a full second.

tap block > light attack > bar swap (block not bugged)
    PC NA
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    https://streamable.com/1bky3k

Here is the bug demonstrated with an input overlay, using controller on PC NA. I also demonstrate the workaround @Andeh_s shared.

To replicate: Sheathe your weapon. With weapons away, press light attack -> barswap immediately after. Your block will no longer activate at all.

@ZOS_GinaBruno

Is there a workaround for a trial setting or other situation where ZOS doesn't allow us to mount?
  • VampiricByNature
    VampiricByNature
    ✭✭✭✭
    Console player here [ps5]. It typically happens to one [or more] of us each vBRP run. We had just started to think about unchained, so we have been doing a few runs each weekend.

Our prog teams often experience it for trials too. We have become accustomed to waiting for players to travel out of the trial and back in. It has been a real nightmare for tanking this patch.
  • gameswithaspoon
    gameswithaspoon
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sending this over! Could you try enabling the in-game Scrolling Combat Text to confirm if you are seeing any blocked damage or not? Just trying to eliminate the possibility of this being an animation issue.

Encountered this block bug in Cyrodiil this evening. Could not see blocked damage or block knockdown effect of NPC heavy attacks. Also could not dismount from my horse by holding block, though I could using a heavy attack. The block bug went away when I zoned into a delve, and did not return when I left the delve again for Cyrodiil.
    Spoon-no-Soup Former Emperor Argonian Templar AD BWB
    Spoon-ware-Soup Former Emperor Argonian Stamplar AD Bahlokdaan
    Guild Leader Imperium of the Eagle Ravenwatch NA-PC
    Takes Drive-Thru Orders for This is a Wendy's.
  • M0ntie
    M0ntie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is appalling. It’s probably put the last nail in the coffin of my favourite raid team, which is one of a depleted number after update 35.