Maintenance for the week of July 8:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance - July 8
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 9, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 10, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 10, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
Update 43 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/662078/

update 35 almost kill the game

• ashadris
    ashadris
    ✭✭✭
    Im back on sub after a loong hiatus since high isle launch just because i miss elder scrolls(Try EK2 if you havent!) and cant bother to mod skyrim yet again.

I missed the whole U35 drama but constant changes and damage ‘reduction’ with weaving nerfs made me quit pvpving for the time being.

Eso definitely needs a revival, a new class and a more compelling story and most importantly stability/performance fixes if it wants to keep his place as a staple MMO along other giants.

People like me are probably playing eso because its TES and release of VI will probably take a lot of population to the new game, but eso can be enjoyed on its own and ZOS needs to focus on the stronger parts of this game.

Options
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    me_ming wrote: »
    Amottica wrote: »
    A guild dying has no bearing on the entire population of a game. What goes on in the very narrow slice of the game that any one of us sees is just that, a very narrow slice of the game. It is hard to find a smaller slice than a guild.

The fact remains that the game is not dead or near its death bed and the majority of players are still here.

Games don't die instantly most of the time, it's a drawn out process with jarring changes that slowly bleed out players; which is exactly the path the game is on right now.

If you truly believe since U35 the game hasn't been losing players and the general feeling of the game from player's perspectives hasn't gotten much worse you must be in some sort of extreme echo chamber.

So far people have been declaring ESO dead or dying since 2014. That is a very slow death.

You are correct that some players will have the perspective that the game has died or is dying or has gotten much worse for them but it is based on the very small segment of the game each of us can see. The example the OP privdes is a tiny 500 member guild. Such things often do not measure up with the realities of the playerbase as a whole.

In fact, the only actual information we have access is the Steam charts. While it is not a true sampling of PC it is unbiased and it does show much more than a tiny 500 member guild and is unbiased. The average number of players for the last three months is greater than it was for the same months in 2019, the last time those months were not affected by COVID. So no, I am not in an echo chamber but I also ignore hyperbole.

I am not saying I like U35. I am merely pointing out that the only real information have about the health of the games population says the game is not even trending towards dying. Please provide unbiased data that shows a large swath of the games population that shows the population of the game is trending downwards significantly since U35.

Regards,

As you already mentioned, Steam's chart "is not a true sampling of PC" whether or not it's unbiased, it's also not proof that the game is not dying. There is no way to tell if the game is dying or not, other than one's personal opinion, and for someone who has played since 2015, I could tell there is less players that I frequently visit like Glenumbra and Wayrest bank, Belkarth, etc than before. Before regardless if the map has expanded, the number of players is noticeably less than say 2017. So YOU cannot tell me that the game is not dying, because you also can't provide data that it isn't, right?

Seeing how many players are in a particular bank is so insignificant it is virtually meaningless. So while the Steam charts is a not a true sampling it is a significantly better source of data than what a player sees because it is looking at a much larger slice of the game. A player sees dozens of other players whereas steam sees thousands of players.

Options
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jaimeh wrote: »
    I can only speak for my own perspective and communities, but things have definitely quieted down since U35. My prog group is on infinite hiatus, social guilds struggle to fill even casual runs, and a lot of players have swapped to other games. The game is not dead by any means, but the constant combat chages and U35 in particular have chased away a lot of people or at the very least impacted their playtime (sending courage to templar mains :smile:). At least ZOS listened and the changes this patch were minimal, but I don't know if it was enough to bring people back.

If ZOS listened they would have started reverting the U35 changes this patch.
    Options
  • doesurmindglow
    doesurmindglow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seeing how many players are in a particular bank is so insignificant it is virtually meaningless. So while the Steam charts is a not a true sampling it is a significantly better source of data than what a player sees because it is looking at a much larger slice of the game. A player sees dozens of other players whereas steam sees thousands of players.

You repeat this over and over as if repetition can make something that is false true. It's not actually the case, though. Steam charts are very large sample -- tens of thousands -- and you've presented no persuasive argument as to why a sample that large would not be sufficiently representative.

For the rest of us, mere humans living in a world where large sample sizes are generally representative of the population from which they are sampled, we actually do have the data we need here to make conclusions about the trend in the game's playerbase. It's becoming increasingly clear in this discussion that no amount of data will satisfy you, as you want to continue to make the claim "there isn't enough data" regardless of how much data there actually is, let alone what that data is clearly telling us.
    Guildmaster : The Wild Hunt (formerly Aka Baka) : AD PC/NA
    Options
  • doesurmindglow
    doesurmindglow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ]

The only real data we have that is fairly unbiased is the Steam Charts. When eliminating the two years concerning COVID we see the game has slightly more players than it did for August, September, October, and for the past 30 days compared to November of 2019. While Steam data is not a perfect sampling, it is far better data than anything that has been presented in this thread.

That is why it is very much speculation that the game's population is in decline. If you have some valid data that is reflective of the player base and actually demonstrates the game is in decline please do present it as the thread could use such valid information

Yes, if you cherry pick the data this narrowly, you can in fact show that the game's population is virtually unchanged, or slightly above its population for 2019.

But this is a highly extreme case of making the data fit the conclusion instead of the other way around; looking at *more data* which would require us to consider the playerbase not only before and after the pandemic, but also during, and also would require us to look at the larger context to see if other games have lost or have retained their playerbase, and then compare that loss or retention to ESO.

This is a very large data set compared to the one you're using, which pretends the pandemic didn't exist, or that the data during the pandemic isn't worth considering, that the game's competitors don't exist, and that the data about each does not exist and cannot be compared. If you limit your data to this very narrow consideration, yes, I could see how you reach the conclusions you reach.

The rest of us don't do that. We consider all the data that's available, and make our conclusions from there. You instead start with the conclusion you want which is "there is no decline," and label all information presented to the contrary as insufficient or not available, neither of which are actually true.
    Options
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess the way I see Steam charts is that the majority of players on PC use the client launcher and not even through Steam... thus, Steam charts severely under-represents the player base. Further, it doesn't even count console players. If you watch any streamers, if they use Steam charts for census, they even state exactly that. It's just a small fragment of the ESO population.

I remember years ago players were dissuaded from buying the game on Steam because of how bad the Steam version worked; there were always tons of problems with players using Steam. It obviously got better over the years, and perhaps now more players are using Steam, but I'd say a majority of vet players do not use Steam at all.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
    Options
  • Raammzzaa
    Raammzzaa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, only here on the official ESO forum did u35 seem to have much impact at all. It’s amazing how much incorrect information is presented on here. I haven’t personally observed any issues with clearing content in game. The only perceptible impact I observed was related to the healing nerf, but people still seem to be clearing content without issue. In the discords of raiding guilds I’m in new parse tags had to be added since folks have been submitting well past 130k. Someone submitted a 140k parse the other day (using azure and extra skeletons).
    Options
  • Raammzzaa
    Raammzzaa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    me_ming wrote: »
    Most guild ads I see in zone chat (PC/NA) are either casual social PvE guilds or RP guilds, and they are the same guilds I see over and over again. Nothing wrong with those guilds per se, but where are the PvP guilds, the end game PvE guilds, the trading guilds?

Not in zone chat… Our PvP guild typically invites players we have played with in Cyrodiil, and my raiding guilds and trading guild primarily recruit from guild finder. I have not really seen much zone chat adverts other than for new social guilds trying to grow since the introduction of the guild finder.
    Options
  • MorganaBlue
    MorganaBlue
    ✭✭✭
    I see that the vast majority of those still in denial of just how bad Update 35 has been for the game are casual players. Which makes sense, since the game has been dumbed down and progressively diluted to something that caters more to that type of gameplay. It has become, however, merely a shadow of the exciting, interesting, and exquisitely intricate game that it once was.
    If you people who continue stating that the game is awesome, the player population hasn't suffered, and the thousands of people expressing their dismay and discomfort on these forums sinceUpdate 35 hit are blind fools, you're only fooling yourself. Your reality does not correspond to the effective state of the game.

Everyone including me wishes ESO was the same fantastic and hugely gratifying game that got them hooked when they started playing, but that doesn't make it so. Just sayin'.
    If there were no perception of a decline in player population, this thread wouldn't even exist, nor would the other many threads along the same lines.

I'm having a hard time weaning myself from ESO.I stopped playing with Update 35 after 5 years in...but I realized that my desire to come back to the game is less than my disdain for what it has become, so I'm out.
    Edited by MorganaBlue on December 3, 2022 2:20PM
    Options
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

You repeat this over and over as if repetition can make something that is false true. It's not actually the case, though. Steam charts are very large sample -- tens of thousands -- and you've presented no persuasive argument as to why a sample that large would not be sufficiently representative.

For the rest of us, mere humans living in a world where large sample sizes are generally representative of the population from which they are sampled, we actually do have the data we need here to make conclusions about the trend in the game's playerbase. It's becoming increasingly clear in this discussion that no amount of data will satisfy you, as you want to continue to make the claim "there isn't enough data" regardless of how much data there actually is, let alone what that data is clearly telling us.

It was very appropriate to the comment I quoted. And very accurate as Steam is the best source of information we have available and what we see in our own guilds' friends list is so small and likely due to our specific interests it is extremely biased data.

So the reality, as I have mentioned previously is all we have provided here are opinions based on little to nothing.

Options
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »
    I guess the way I see Steam charts is that the majority of players on PC use the client launcher and not even through Steam... thus, Steam charts severely under-represents the player base. Further, it doesn't even count console players. If you watch any streamers, if they use Steam charts for census, they even state exactly that. It's just a small fragment of the ESO population.

I remember years ago players were dissuaded from buying the game on Steam because of how bad the Steam version worked; there were always tons of problems with players using Steam. It obviously got better over the years, and perhaps now more players are using Steam, but I'd say a majority of vet players do not use Steam at all.

Where is your actual source for your assumptions about Steam?

The only information that I have ever seen is a statement by a developer back in 2016 (!!!) that mentioned that the population of the game across all three platforms (e.g. PC, PS, XBox) were roughly equal. But relying upon a statement made almost seven years ago is highly dubious.

Much has changed since 2016. For one, all of those consoles are now significantly older and strained close to breaking in any non-trivial gameplay situation. Since 2020, there has been a constant flow of "console refugees" to PC from consoles precisely because so many are tired of the poor performance on those legacy platforms.

Also back in 2016, the Steam version had barely launched and was supposedly very sketchy to play on. However, since early 2019 (when I began playing) there have been... two Steam outages, each lasting for a handful of hours. Apart from that, the experience is identical to playing on the client. Game interruptions attributable to ZOS themselves are FAR more abundant than any attributable to Steam.

In any case, this is not to say that Steam players account for the majority of overall ESO players. However, it IS to say that using population assumptions dating from 2016 is unwise, as is attempting to discount the Steam Chart numbers by asserting that Steam is some vanishingly tiny portion of the population.

These days, I would not be at all surprised to learn that PC totaled a full half of ESO players, with the two consoles splitting the other half. And of that PC half, I would not be surprised if Steam players were close to half. That would be 25% of the total ESO population. But these are, of course, only assumptions because the developers never present us with any relevant information on the topic.

Finally, to clarify terms, we should only be discussing ACTIVE PLAYERS when we use the phrase "players." Nobody really is interested in the millions of dead accounts that logged in once eight years ago and have never come back. Unfortunately, those numbers are all that ZOS ever gives us, which greatly skews the perception of the game's active player base as being larger than it likely actually is.
    Options
  • doesurmindglow
    doesurmindglow
    ✭✭✭✭✭

People say this all the time but it ignores one of the most important aspects of the Steam population: that it is very large, and very likely representative of the playerbase as a whole.

In other words, yes, while Steam doesn't actually capture every. single. ESO. player. it does in fact provide data that is likely to be relevant to the playerbase as a whole; if the playerbase sampled by Steam is in decline, chances are very high that the playerbase as a whole is as well. This is because the Steam playerbase is so large (10,000+) that its threshold for statistical significance is fairly robust.

Furthermore, even if that weren't the case, given how significant a market share steam enjoys of ESO's primary target audience, it still would matter that one of its major competitors (Final Fantasy 14) managed to surpass it on there, has retained nearly double the population it had from before the pandemic (while ESO has not), and is consistently outperforming on each of its content releases. Even if basically the Steam playerbase were not representative, which it is, all of these trends are still sufficiently concerning and robust enough data to draw conclusions about the direction of the game. This is true no matter how many times a person can repeat "we don't have enough data" out loud, which seems to be the only counterargument anyone on this thread has to any of these points, and is grossly and willfully ignorant of the data that exists and has been provided.

Steam data is also not the only source of available data. There is also considerable data available that shows, unsurprisingly, the same pattern in player interest and then decline as the Steam figures. Significant among these is viewership on Twitch:

bh228wgzkjty.png

As with the Steam data, these data also show that the game's playerbase grew significantly during the pandemic, but has not been able to retain that growth, which is not typical of the genre as a whole, where generally still have higher viewer counts than they did before the pandemic.

Also interesting is that ESO's viewership is incredibly low compared to its competitors, which suggests that it actually overperforms on Steam. This is because while Steam does not capture the entire ESO playerbase, it also does not capture the entire playerbase of its competitors, some of which dominate in overseas markets like Korea and Japan (BDO and FF14, respectively) that likely use the Steam marketplace much less than ESO's target audience. ESO's biggest competitor, World of Warcraft, isn't even available on Steam, and yet despite this we know from Twitch viewership and other data that it still has a significantly larger playerbase than ESO.

What other data? So glad you asked. We also have search engine interest:

aq0x3bvofxn3.png

As with Steam data, this is also drawing from a very large sample size, but unlike Steam data, more likely captures the interest of the entire playerbase. And once again, follows an almost identical pattern -- interest was relatively stable or even grew during the pandemic, but this growth has not been retained. This is not as true of its competitors, especially Final Fantasy 14 which tracked very closely with ESO for a long time leading up to the pandemic, but has since broken out and is now outperforming:

m6m4xiulo5uc.png

So here we have a lot of exhaustive data. The counterargument to all these data points? Is there data that says something contrary we should look at? No, of course not. The argument is simply "this data isn't good enough," with no further substantiation or alternative evidence we could consider. Instead of presenting an alternative set of data that would support an alternative conclusion, we instead have the imaginary dataset, which is individual players' speculation that despite all the information we do have, there must be some other information still out there, unavailable to us, that would support the opposite conclusion, and so the opposite conclusion is still "equally valid."

This is incredibly silly, if we're being honest. We have data, and it is pretty good data, that we can compare with other games in the genre and draw conclusions about ESO's relative performance. And, in general, it supports the player concerns the OP and many other people have raised anecdotally here much more than it does not.
    Options
  • Ghaleb
    Ghaleb
    ✭✭✭✭✭

People say this all the time but it ignores one of the most important aspects of the Steam population: that it is very large, and very likely representative of the playerbase as a whole.

In other words, yes, while Steam doesn't actually capture every. single. ESO. player. it does in fact provide data that is likely to be relevant to the playerbase as a whole; if the playerbase sampled by Steam is in decline, chances are very high that the playerbase as a whole is as well. This is because the Steam playerbase is so large (10,000+) that its threshold for statistical significance is fairly robust.

I appreciate the effort you put into your post. But you better prepare for the people coming into the thread stating, that it doesn't matter.

Reason last time - I kid you not - was, that Steam is not representative, as Steam players are 1 klick away from playing something else.

I'd love to say, that this was a joke. But it was a "serious" reply to an equally well drafted post about the validity of Steam numbers as a trend indicator.

Furthermore, I did not once see a serious rebuttal of the most likely very valid claim, that Steam provides sufficient statistical basis. Asked multiple posters in multiple threads and never received a reply on the matter. Or maybe missed it, as at times moderation removed posts as they were deemed "unnecessary back and forth".

So, I agree to your summary and would prefer to close this discussion. But I am painfully aware, that it'll flare up again in 1,5 days latest.

What would of course help is ZOS publishing numbers. But similar to your summary, their statement that ESO has 20 million acounts speaks volumes.

If they'd have substantial active players, they would publish the numbers.
    If they'd outperform other games in the same market segment, they would publish the numbers.

So, ESO is of course not dead. Nor do I want it to be dead. But it's declining. Maybe substantial. Maybe less so. But the next steps of ZOS will determine the future. And in contrast to some posters, I am sceptical towards that.
    Options
  • doesurmindglow
    doesurmindglow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ghaleb wrote: »
    So, ESO is of course not dead. Nor do I want it to be dead. But it's declining. Maybe substantial. Maybe less so. But the next steps of ZOS will determine the future. And in contrast to some posters, I am sceptical towards that.

Yeah, I appreciate the support and I don't want it to be dead or declining either. I'd much rather my data be as limited or irrelevant as the people here want to say it is.

But my chief concern with all of this data denial going on in the thread is that these are people who are actively working to make the game worse: by ignoring and the denying the decline, and by downplaying the real concern many players are having and voicing about the game's direction, they are advocating for the developers to not take their consumers' input seriously, and to deliver a less competitive, less responsive, and ultimately less valuable product.

I instead prefer the approach that looks at what the game's competitors are doing quite well and replicate those -- Final Fantasy for example actually has an exhaustive in-game tutorial that is much better than the table scraps offered to new players in ESO, and also puts up orientation videos to the game on its official channels, where ESO essentially outsources this work to content creators they barely compensate.

I also prefer the approach that recognizes the people who play the game might have important feedback for how to make it better. Players have put forward some excellent ideas for how to better deliver on the developers' stated goals for the game -- an example is SkinnyCheeks's suggestion for a mythic that removes the damage from light attacks but in exchange grants a powerful buff or series of buffs to abilities, which seems far closer to a "level playing field for players who can't light attack weave" than anything that was proposed or implemented with Update 35. I'd like to see player feedback given more real airtime, and for the frustrations around a buggy or ill-received content launch to result not in a free pet no one asked for but instead in less buggy and less ill-received content launches with better, more performant, and more engaging features.

Basically by insisting "we don't have enough data" to support the arguments that either of these avenues have serious merit, these players are instead building support for the argument that the decline and frustration in playerbase being observed through both anecdotal experience and more scientific datasets is not important and should not be responded to. They are ultimately proposing the game stay on a detrimental course that devalues its playerbase and threatens its longevity. They are, in essence, asking for a weaker product that is less enjoyable and a worse use of our time and money.

It's not a good perspective that should be listened to by anyone. Arguing that the game is not suffering the impacts players observe and that is evidenced by these data, and rather that it "not only survives but thrives" is asking that the game remain exactly as it is, which is a worse experience for all of us who play it than it could be if our concerns and the data that substantiates them were actually taken seriously.
    Options
  • twev
    twev
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I appreciate the support and I don't want it to be dead or declining either. I'd much rather my data be as limited or irrelevant as the people here want to say it is.

But my chief concern with all of this data denial going on in the thread is that these are people who are actively working to make the game worse: by ignoring and the denying the decline, and by downplaying the real concern many players are having and voicing about the game's direction, they are advocating for the developers to not take their consumers' input seriously, and to deliver a less competitive, less responsive, and ultimately less valuable product.

I instead prefer the approach that looks at what the game's competitors are doing quite well and replicate those -- Final Fantasy for example actually has an exhaustive in-game tutorial that is much better than the table scraps offered to new players in ESO, and also puts up orientation videos to the game on its official channels, where ESO essentially outsources this work to content creators they barely compensate.

I also prefer the approach that recognizes the people who play the game might have important feedback for how to make it better. Players have put forward some excellent ideas for how to better deliver on the developers' stated goals for the game -- an example is SkinnyCheeks's suggestion for a mythic that removes the damage from light attacks but in exchange grants a powerful buff or series of buffs to abilities, which seems far closer to a "level playing field for players who can't light attack weave" than anything that was proposed or implemented with Update 35. I'd like to see player feedback given more real airtime, and for the frustrations around a buggy or ill-received content launch to result not in a free pet no one asked for but instead in less buggy and less ill-received content launches with better, more performant, and more engaging features.

Basically by insisting "we don't have enough data" to support the arguments that either of these avenues have serious merit, these players are instead building support for the argument that the decline and frustration in playerbase being observed through both anecdotal experience and more scientific datasets is not important and should not be responded to. They are ultimately proposing the game stay on a detrimental course that devalues its playerbase and threatens its longevity. They are, in essence, asking for a weaker product that is less enjoyable and a worse use of our time and money.

It's not a good perspective that should be listened to by anyone. Arguing that the game is not suffering the impacts players observe and that is evidenced by these data, and rather that it "not only survives but thrives" is asking that the game remain exactly as it is, which is a worse experience for all of us who play it than it could be if our concerns and the data that substantiates them were actually taken seriously.

I wish I could give you more than one 'Awesome'.
    The problem with society these days is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.
    Options
  • CrashTest
    CrashTest
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I've noticed a pattern with some people replying here. They seem to play contrarian for the sake of being contrarian in whatever thread they're replying to, not just this one, bc when you point out how they're wrong or you disagree with them and you have something to back up your reply, they'll shift goal posts then continue with their contrarian forum game, stringing you along and causing drama.

There's no fruitful discussion to be had with them, so I just ignore them even if they reply to me directly, and I'll continue discussion with those who have valid points whether they agree with me or not.
    Options