The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Giving gifts to players ingame

Billium813
Billium813
✭✭✭✭✭
It SEEMS like a really simple idea. I would like to see one of two things added to the game:
  1. A "Present" furnishing that is a 1 slot container. You can manage the container by adding permissions for a specific player/account to access it. Until that player accesses the container, the furnishing model is "closed". After accessing, the model switches to "open" and stays that way. Picking up the furnishing and re-placing it will reset to "open".
  2. A "Present" inventory container, similar to the New Life Festival Box, that has 1 slot. The container could be configurable to require a specific date for opening (unless it's the owner)

It would be awesome if these two things were combined in some way, but that may be too much. I would prefer the 1st option of a furnishing, but maybe it might break the game as players would undoubtedly just use them as extra inventory space.
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Great idea!

I would like to see them give us gift boxes and our goal with these boxes is to give other players presents. When the other player opens the present, you both get the same loot. Loot value decreases the more you give the same person a present- you have to give different people a present.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dr_Con wrote: »
    Great idea!

I would like to see them give us gift boxes and our goal with these boxes is to give other players presents. When the other player opens the present, you both get the same loot. Loot value decreases the more you give the same person a present- you have to give different people a present.

that kind of sounds like straight up item duplication lol

how would "loot value" decrease if you were gifting say a set item?

i dont disagree with the idea of the gift, but why go through the hassle of putting a gift in a container and then giving the person a container, unless you want the item itself to be a surprise when giving it to them?
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Great idea!

i dont disagree with the idea of the gift, but why go through the hassle of putting a gift in a container and then giving the person a container, unless you want the item itself to be a surprise when giving it to them?

A box contains two random items of the same kind. The item is revealed at box opening to both the giver and the receiver. The idea to give it to different people for rarer drops is to incentivize meeting new people. Alternatively, someone can just keep gifting the same person and they can enjoy lower quality loot.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great idea!

A box contains two random items of the same kind. The item is revealed at box opening to both the giver and the receiver. The idea to give it to different people for rarer drops is to incentivize meeting new people. Alternatively, someone can just keep gifting the same person and they can enjoy lower quality loot.

the way i was interpreting the OP was they basically wanted a way to "package up" an existing item so they could give it someone and have it be a surprise lol

your suggestion would work too, but also functionally is a bit different from what the OP was suggesting
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Billium813
    Billium813
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great idea!

the way i was interpreting the OP was they basically wanted a way to "package up" an existing item so they could give it someone and have it be a surprise lol

Correct. The only real intention is for there to be player usable containers (furnishings or inventory containers) that players can use to add an item, and give to another player (or have them physically open, in a house, as a furnishing). Hell, ZOS could even sell them in the crown store for all I care. Sell them 5 for 500 crowns and make them single-usage.

Past that, there are many additional configurations the game could add if you want to get fancy.

For instance:
    • A date when the container is allowed to be opened
    • A specific player name / account name allowed to open the container
    • For furnishings:
      • different "wrapping paper" styles so that the containers look visually appealing
      • furnishing behaviors similar to the Jester’s Coffer
    Honestly though, it doesn't have to be that complicated. I think a simple container would be just fine and can be expanded on later. I would just like to see something better (and more thematic) than mailing gifts to your friends and them "opening" the gift by checking their mail. I also would prefer something like an ingame item or a furnishing rather than some upgrade to the mailing system...

There are obvious issues though too.

For instance:
    • I listed the containers as "1 slot only" as a possible restriction to prevent rampant usage as infinite storage.
    • Should players be allowed to hand out these containers to random players or restrict them to friends only?
    • Make sure bound items can't be put inside!
    • What if a player possesses a container that can only be opened by someone else? Will the container expire after some time? What happens to the item within?
    Edited by Billium813 on December 1, 2022 7:26PM
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great idea!

Agreed, and if you want it to be a surprise on the chosen day then give it to them on that day.

The more complex you make gifting, the more database issues will arise, and I'd personally rather that ZOS optimised playing the game over dishing out gifts within the game, admirable tho that may be.
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Seems like a lot of effort for things you could just send to the other person in the mail or directly through the trade window.
  • robwolf666
    robwolf666
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't do "gifting"... Play to earn/buy (with gold etc) the ****. >:)
  • Mithgil
    Mithgil
    ✭✭✭
    bmnoble wrote: »
    Seems like a lot of effort for things you could just send to the other person in the mail or directly through the trade window.

This
    PC NA Yes, I use add-ons.
  • Billium813
    Billium813
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bmnoble wrote: »

I'm kinda surprised by the apparent lack of desire to add some immersion and depth in the game. Giving gifts through trade windows or mail just kinda ruins the surprise and feel. It isn't very immersive or fun. Also, it gives the person the ability to be like "oh, no, I can't take that" and refuse the trade.

I want to trade gifts with friends for xmas. Using a trade window or mail (which is what we are going to have to do) just feels so impersonal and removes the immersion as I click through "accept" dialogs. There's no surprise as the item is just harshly added to a trade window or becomes just another letter in your mailbox.