Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656543/temporarily-taking-down-the-pts-the-pc-na-live-server

PC EU Hardware Update – August 2022

• MISTFORMBZZZ
    MISTFORMBZZZ
    ✭✭✭
    ngl this is unacceptable. Your zos , owned by microsoft. You cant let pc eu wait till march and us on console even longer. Its so incredible cheeky
  • ghost_bg_ESO
    ghost_bg_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Judging by the speed - server per year - eso has minimum 5 more years of life secured. Won't even bother anymore to open post claiming eso is dying...

/S

• redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    (...) I know this probably isn't the news you all wanted to hear - we are in the same boat.(..)
    At least you told us what's happening and how long it will probably take. I thank you for that.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ginoboehm wrote: »
    @ZOS_MattFiror can you at least throw us a lifeline? like a possibility to copy chars to na? like you did with the console accounts when the game came out on console?

You are forgetting that console's servers data tables were empty when they offered the possibility of platform change.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • xDeusEJRx
    xDeusEJRx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice, can't wait to come back another year from now and do this same process for xbox then another year for playstation. Maybe by 2025 the servers won't crap themselves immediately making us need to do this again
    Solo PvP'er PS5 NA player

90% of my body is made of Magblade
  • Asdara
    Asdara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Communication? Transparency?
    Good start YAY
    Forget new content for a while & forget adding new DLC, this is a list of what is actually needed in the game:
    1: Handheld magic/ giving you the option to not use your staff to L/H Attack but instead it will shoot from your hand, like a spell.
    2: Spellcrafting.
    3: Combat pet skin / summon Atronach.
    4: Summon weapon.
    5: Change the Housing item limit.
    6: Multi Attunable crafting station.
    7: Add Writ boards and Writ Drop-off's for housing.
    8: Cut the crown price of Mundus stones (4000x13? 52000 crowns?).
    9: Visual upgrade for all spell and animation.
    10: More structural item, door, floors, arch, walls for all size and shape.
    11: Dusting and adding things to the mage guilds.
  • Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you at least answer why you gave NA the upgrade first, when EU has historically (and continues to have) the most problems and has the higher population (based on previous comments from ZOS)? To stay silent as you done so far just makes this seem incredibly Americentric, which is not exactly a great look.

@thejadefalcon
    keep in mind that ZoS previously did not expect that hardware replacement would necessarily fix performance issues, when it appeared likely that the software/processing/database systems were much more likely to be the bottleneck. The NA hardware refresh was planned as a replacement for end-of-life computer hardware that was almost TEN YEARS OLD at that stage, not as a performance upgrade.

So why is the EU megaserver being done second? Because it is not as old. If you go back into ancient history, ESO started out with everyone accessing the game from the PC/NA megaserver. It was only after massive complaints from EU users and a rush job by ZoS that a new PC/EU megaserver was setup - late in 2014. (Ah, those were the days when it was possible to rush orders for computer gear.) Basically, the EU computer hardware is two years younger (less old and decrepit) than the NA server hardware.
  • Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jazraena wrote: »
    Zuboko wrote: »
    Apparently (because of the chip shortage) in some sectors it takes more than a year to get the needed parts
    https://www.jabil.com/blog/global-chip-shortages.html

This.

Suffice to say it's an issue in sectors far more critical to society than game servers.

these days, even contracts for 100% reliable electrical power to your datacenter are challenging.
  • LarsS
    LarsS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could we get some news about the server code rewrite?
    GM for The Daggerfall Authority EU PC
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LarsS wrote: »

Yes! I would love that.
  • ZOS_GregoryV
    Greetings all!

After removing a handful of posts, we would like to remind everyone that all comments should be kept within the guidelines of the Community Rules. We understand that members of the community may not always be satisfied with information that is provided, however, Bashing is a violation of the rules and is stated as follows:
    • Bashing and Slanderous Comments: We do not permit the bashing of individuals (including ZeniMax employees), groups, or other companies on our forums. We believe that doing so is neither constructive nor in spirit of our game and community.
    Being upset and voicing one's own thoughts/opinions is fine, but moving forward, we ask that posts be kept within the community guidelines. If there may be any questions in regards to the rules, please take a few moments to view them here.

Thank you for your understanding,
    -Greg-
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • MISTFORMBZZZ
    MISTFORMBZZZ
    ✭✭✭
    Katheriah wrote: »
    [

My group is logging off at this moment because of performance. Good job guys. If you wait long enough, people will be so done with this that the performance issues solves itself because nobody is playing anymore.

same here on console ps eu, my group rage quitted cuz first of all pvp is almost empty since the pvp event , there was 1 bar ad 1 bar ep 0 bar dc on gh & only 1 bar dc on BR.

And it was still sooooo laggy on gh!

So many from my guild have already quitted and im just rn looking for another game to play aswell.

This time to wait is not acceptable for me at the current state of the game.
  • Oakiyo
    Oakiyo
    ✭✭✭
    The hardware they're gonna receive will be outdated by the time they implement it on their servers :D

Considering how much people are switching to PC NA and how lucrative this looks, I'm begining to wonder if the delay, especially on console, is related, even by a bit ...
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps some or all of the combat team could be re-tasked to helping players migrate their profiles between servers at will.
    We won't mind the break.
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pyvos wrote: »
    What are these critical parts that have a lead time of 2 1/2 months?

The monkeys who prod the hamsters are on strike demanding higher amounts of bananas.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting. I appreciate the update, but am super surprised at how far out the outlook is. Eeek! :open_mouth:
    Pyvos wrote: »
    What are these critical parts that have a lead time of 2 1/2 months?

Sprockets for the Hamster wheels.

Nah. All they can get is cedar bedding, and that is harmful to hamsters. It is worth the wait for quality hamster-approved bedding. :tongue:
    When NA servers were upgraded, as far as I can tell, we were all informed (and it was a huge surprise for everyone) that previous NA servers were from 2012.

So what year are the current EU servers from ?

Late 2014
    LarsS wrote: »

Agreed, this should be the subject of another missive from Firor. Hopefully, before the end of the year.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Thretion
    Thretion
    ✭✭✭
    After patch 35 and this news, I can only wish you good luck with ur online ;)
    Also, my entire friend list has not been logged into the game for more than two weeks.
  • Ankael07
    Ankael07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    When NA servers were upgraded, as far as I can tell, we were all informed (and it was a huge surprise for everyone) that previous NA servers were from 2012.

Back when Daedric Princes walked on Nirn
    If you want me to reply to your comment type @Ankael07 in it.
  • Knockmaker
    Knockmaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know what to say...

Actually, I do:

What about the rewriting of the code? What is the timeline for that? That's as important as server upgrade at the very least. People here deserve to know more about that imo.
    Edited by Knockmaker on August 26, 2022 4:29AM
  • Turtle_Bot
    Turtle_Bot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Can you at least answer why you gave NA the upgrade first, when EU has historically (and continues to have) the most problems and has the higher population (based on previous comments from ZOS)? To stay silent as you done so far just makes this seem incredibly Americentric, which is not exactly a great look.

@thejadefalcon
    keep in mind that ZoS previously did not expect that hardware replacement would necessarily fix performance issues, when it appeared likely that the software/processing/database systems were much more likely to be the bottleneck. The NA hardware refresh was planned as a replacement for end-of-life computer hardware that was almost TEN YEARS OLD at that stage, not as a performance upgrade.

So why is the EU megaserver being done second? Because it is not as old. If you go back into ancient history, ESO started out with everyone accessing the game from the PC/NA megaserver. It was only after massive complaints from EU users and a rush job by ZoS that a new PC/EU megaserver was setup - late in 2014. (Ah, those were the days when it was possible to rush orders for computer gear.) Basically, the EU computer hardware is two years younger (less old and decrepit) than the NA server hardware.

I didn't know the EU servers were made after the NA servers. They may be younger, but that still doesn't excuse the fact that due to a decision from a faceless higher up, all servers were not kept up to date over the years and allowed for performance to get as bad as it currently is.
  • Turtle_Bot
    Turtle_Bot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It sucks that it's going to take so long to fix the servers. It really does. Especially with how much of a difference those upgrades made for PCNA.

However, the attitude of a certain developer, who shall remain nameless, of "If it was as simple as replacing the server hardware or adding more RAM, we would have done it by now" when asked about performance, when it had been proven every single mid year mayhem event (twice a year) that it was predominantly a server hardware issue, because every event they added a bunch of more modern rented servers to cater for the increased load the event was going to place on the servers and suddenly performance magically improved during the event, even though there were 10-100 times the number of players in cyrodiil during the events than there were at any other time and always reverted back to normal when the event ended and the additional servers were removed.

Not to mention when the NA servers got upgraded and the game became instantly playable over there proving without a doubt that the server hardware was a huge part of the issue for why performance was so bad.
  • BlackCatOnline-
    BlackCatOnline-
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the news. Meanwhile it seems like several content creators on PS NA are moving to PC NA and I've read numerous comments about players quitting :|
  • Hämähäkki
    Hämähäkki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Here a current look on the EU server from the live web cam

giphy.gif

TherealHämähäkki
  • crazyivanovic
    crazyivanovic
    ✭✭
    But hey, this explains the vision behind the patch. I imagine the leadership meeting went like this back in March:

IT team: Sorry everybody, the servers for our highest population region where we have the worst load peaks right now will take at least 9 months, more likely a year.
    Performance testing: But based on the performance trend we already told you 3 years ago that we will need new servers like yesterday?!
    Upper management: Any ideas how we can get things done faster or reduce the load?
    Performance testing: We could fix the code to work better and faster, reducing the load.
    Dev team: Tried that, it would take a long time and cost us development resources which we would have to pull from the new MMO we are working on...
    Upper management: No way, this one will bring new customer base and revenue. Other options?
    (small voice in the back): Would load not go down if there are less players?
    Upper management: Ingenious! Which parts of the game are bringing most money via the crown store?
    Revenue ensurance: Housing! Casual RP players that buy crown crates for mounts!
    Upper management: Okay, here is my directive: get rid of everyone who does not fall into those two groups! Get it done with the next patch, no matter what!

And here we are with U35 where the only things unchanged and working as smoothly (or bad) as before are like housing, fishing and crown crates plus overworld "basic questing" while everything else which gets more demanding on requiring good performance (pvp, trials) gets the boot.

Finally I understand the grand vision behind the changes!
  • Luede
    Luede
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    well then, see you in a year, where you tell us that it still takes a little moment. seriously, 2 years too late. game is uninstalled...
  • Tra_Lalan
    Tra_Lalan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Matt, thank you for the information.
    I'm sure it took some guts to step down here on forums and (in some way) confront players. For that I'm grateful.
    Also Your post is a prove, that the Devs are aware of what is going on in the community and (at least some of them) are willing to adress it somehow. This is a step in good direction, because I don't belive that this all fire will just go down by itself.

Your words are appreciated, however IMHO they are not enought to fix the whole situation. I belive it's time to do something more "spectacular" to regain players trust. Something big. New servers are something big, but unfortunately they are to far away in future. Players need action now. Maybe consider reverting u35? I'm sure we players aren't aware of everything going on behind those changes. So if it is not possible, maybe just tell us why it isn't. Lack of information and lack of trust are a bad combination.
  • MarioMario
    MarioMario
    ✭✭✭
    I work for a big microelectronic supplier, in Manufacturing Execution System.

Many factors contribute to the lack of electronics parts. Chip shortage it's real, and lot of factors are in play. No foundry is capable atm to fulfill requests. No supplier is able to satisfy the requests.

We have just completed the construction of a new fab for 300mm wafers.
    TSMC is building new fabs. Intel is building new fabs and asking other suppliers for support.

Six, eight months, one year waiting list is normal.
    Edited by MarioMario on August 26, 2022 9:41AM
  • agelonestar
    agelonestar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. You must be purchasing uranium-infused microchips or something, for it to be taking this long.

I often wonder if you guys are trying to kill the game so you can all move onto another project, or whether you’re just not terribly good at keeping it alive. Either way, I reckon by March next year there will be no-one playing from my original group. Even die-hards are telling me they’re taking a break (especially after your last DLC drop….)

Maybe you can tell us what you’re doing to save PVP (that’s the part of the game that takes place in Cyrodiil, which is the big space in the middle of the map (press M)) ??? We are long overdue an update on that front.

I’m not angry, I’m just disappointed.

GM of Sunfire's Sect trading guild on PC/EU. All that is gold does not glitter; not all those who wander are lost...... some of us are just looking for trouble.
    GM of Sunfire's Sect (Open) & Dark Star Rising (Priv) | Retired GM of several trade guilds | Trader | Here since the beta
  • Luede
    Luede
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    logan_ESO wrote: »
    I work for a big microelectronic supplier, in Manufacturing Execution System.

Many factors contribute to the lack of electronics parts. Chip shortage it's real, and lot of factors are in play. No foundry is capable atm to fulfill requests. No supplier is able to satisfy the requests.

We have just completed the construction of a new fab for 300mm wafers.
    TSMC is building new fabs. Intel is building new fabs and asking other suppliers for support.

Six, eight months, one year waiting list is normal.

this info would only be interesting if the game wasn't already unplayable for years (pvp) and also since years infos are given by ZOS, which point to the great improvements in longer periods. when the time has come without change, there is a new post with the next long term plan
  • Meiox
    Meiox
    ✭✭✭✭
    Finally some good news I thought, oh well =(