The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Which Companion are you most looking forward to?

• tohopka_eso
    tohopka_eso
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lysette wrote: »
    Browiseth wrote: »
    + mirri is just really cute, hope they add marriage as an option for companions one day

Ha, someone else is adoring Mirri - get an awesome from me.

Oh I love mirri, I just question her motives when we are around campfires and she goes on about cooking 😳🤭
  • Ye_Olde_Crowe
    Ye_Olde_Crowe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on the character I am playing
    I‘d love to have an orcish companion, preferrably male. Out of the new ones… it depends on the character I‘m playing as.
    PC EU.

=primarily PvH (Player vs. House)=
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ember
    + mirri is just really cute, hope they add marriage as an option for companions one day

Oh I love mirri, I just question her motives when we are around campfires and she goes on about cooking 😳🤭

Guess who in a haiku ;)

Sweetest, smiling face
    Ashen curves begging caress -
    "Get back you fetcher!"
    PC EU
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ember

Typical moonshine girl, she loves it, when you brew some alcoholic beverage. She is as well quite fond of excavations, if you manage to unearth some bonus items. But you have to be very careful with picking flowers with bugs around. She said, she doesn't like boats and snakes, but she didn't complain, when travelling by boat or fighting snakes - little bit inconsequent. She mocks me, when I'm picking flowers in the middle of a combat scene and I just trust her to deal with an enemy on her own.

I just dislike, when I try to avoid confrontation and she is nevertheless picking up the fight with "I hope, you are watching". My wardens summon the bear to support her - both have a tendency to get me in harm's way, but they are a good team.

Unfortunately she never takes a seat in an inn, if I pick a seat near a singer and another one would be available near me. She is just standing around waiting. With this attitude, I guess, I can forget about having her as a Tales of Tribute partner.

Well, it could be worse - I remember Piper in Fallout 4, she had the habit to look for a place to sit down, whenever I stopped to think for a moment what to do next. When approaching a raider camp like this and I stopped for a moment - she walked straight into the raider camp to sit down there - lol - at least Mirri is not doing something silly like that.
    Edited by Lysette on June 3, 2022 1:08PM
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ember

Typical moonshine girl, she loves it, when you brew some alcoholic beverage.

"You are going to let me try that, right?"

No, because the game won't let me. 🤦

• Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I haven't used companions in ESO yet, but I'm looking forward to hearing Laura Bailey again. She was great as Serana in Skyrim, and even better as the boss of Saints in Saint's Row 3 and 4.
    "I bear the cruel weight of certainty. Total, absolute, relentless certainty. People rarely comprehend the luxury of doubt... the freedom that comes with indecision. I envy you."
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
  • Gaebriel0410
    Gaebriel0410
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isobel
    Isobel of course, a glorious knightly Breton. <3

Khajiit are overrated and have been ever since the atrocious Razum Dar.
    Gimme some kickass khajiit temple guards and not those cute sly kittycat Reynard the Fox pretenders.
    Ember seems okay-ish though.
  • Sidonius
    Sidonius
    ✭✭✭
    Currently, companions are the only reason I'm playing. Hopefully Zos will let us use all companions at the same time.
  • Ishtarknows
    Ishtarknows
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    None
    Mr_Stach wrote: »
    Just wait for the:

VETERAN OVERLAND UPDATE

The entire World is just a Giant Trial. Hope you got your group ready.

Don't get our hopes up. It'll never happen sadly
    Edited by Ishtarknows on June 3, 2022 3:06PM
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isobel
    They should all be removed. Add nothing to the game, other than to make it feel like Skyrim.

I had a chuckle when I read this... because Matt has even said the reason they revamped ESO with One Tamriel is because they realized the overwhelming majority wanted "Skyrim with friends". So for you to say this, it indicates that the game IS designed exactly as the majority wanted and is the reason why Companions were added.

Personally, I'm looking forward to both, but particularly Isobel because I want a fellow Templar. However, Isobel will be my go-to when I'm doing more nefarious activities. :)
    CP: 1950 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Sorcerer ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on the character I am playing
    I was really excited to finally have a Khajiit companion, but after trying Ember out in the PTS I realized she is just another Breton. She doesn't speak like a Khajiit, she doesn't act like a Khajiit, she doesn't even have any form of an accent.

That means that out of the 4 companions we have now, 3 of them are Bretons since both Bastian and Ember are orphans raised by a Breton family and lack anything related to their original races and cultures, and Isobel is an actual Breton.

I'm highly considering getting a refund on the chapter because of that, why take a character that could potentially have a really nice and interesting backstory and just make it the same as the 2 ones we already have.

Seriously? This is starting get annoying, first Bastian makes us unable to get an imperial companion for who knows how long and now it's another breton-wannabe.

Any race can be born and raised in any culture of Tamriel, but when we only get like two companions a year it would be best make them fit more to their race's home province culture. When we have more companions they can start get experimental.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • SainguinKrist
    SainguinKrist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isobel
    Isobel seems like a really interesting choice, though I'm sure I'll use both at some point.

On another note, really not cool that so many people would rather have ZOS remove a game system rather then just not interact with it.

Plenty of us absolutely love the companions and it's pretty unfair for you to say it's a waste of development resources and adds nothing to the game.

It's adds nothing for YOU. Don't use them then. All of us who enjoy them appreciate the time and effort ZOS puts into companions.

Quit telling us it's a waste of resources.
    Edited by SainguinKrist on June 4, 2022 8:17PM
    I have characters that have classes.

I'm not sure what their names are.

Leader of Casual Filth, a proudly LGBT+ led and friendly social guild.
  • SainguinKrist
    SainguinKrist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isobel
    Snamyap wrote: »
    Companions are for games that people play solo. They don't fit in for MMO's. In MMO's there are other real people we are supposed to interact with to get things done.

Here you go, enlighten yourself to the wonderful world of people that are unlike you.

https://youtu.be/b2l2ZxNhCSg

I focus on being a strong enough player that I don't need NPC's helping me accomplish my in game goals. I make friends with people and join guilds. That's how MMO's are designed to work.

I'm glad you like companions, but there is no reason to be defensive when someone points out how they don't really fit well with an MMO. MMO's are SUPPOSED to encourage the player to make friends, join guilds and work with other players. Companions discourage players from making friends, joining guild and working with other players.

again it's pretty clear you did not watch the video and that notwithstanding your reasoning here is incredibly close-minded and self-centered. your reasoning kinda boils down to "people who play the game different to me are wrong." and please don't backtrack on this when you literally tried to define what types of content an MMO is "supposed" to encourage its players to engage in. in the end an MMORPG is kinda just a huge sandbox with a bunch of different types of content to appeal to many different types of players, whether that's solo, group or player versus player content. the actual goal of an MMO should be to make all of those forms of content feel rewarding.

why are there even quests in this game? why isn't it when i log in i'm not automatically queued for a group to pvp or do dungeons?

i mean already with that, your logic has fallen apart hasn't it

yes there is an obvious multiplayer component to an MMO but the amazing thing is that the player is presented with the choice in what level of the multiplayer they engage in. for a large chunk of players, their level of engagement is to play solo, and the multiplayer component exists as this community of players in the background of their single player experience.

that's not even beginning to get into the fact that eso is an M-M-O-R-P-G, emphasis on the RPG, i.e roleplaying game. a central feature of roleplaying games has often been being able to interact with other NPC characters, whether that's as questgivers or companions in the combat and story.

i encourage you to think outside of your own experience with eso. it's pretty fascinating to explore the different ways this game is enjoyed by people that may not be your own, and it's something i've grown a further appreciation for over the years.

also, to suggest companions discourage players from meeting other players is...pretty baseless conjecture. and even if they did, what does it matter?

overall, just a really bad take

My logic hols up just fine. You might want to ask yourself why you are so defensive about this topic. There is always Skyrim if you want to run around with a bunch of companions and pets. This is an MMO and a totally different game. It's meant to be played with other players, not solely with NPC's. It's not my opinion, it's right there in the game design. And, in case you didn't notice, you are getting access to a total of 4 companions now, so you should be happy, not defensive.

so wait

there are going to be 4 companions in the game

so the developers added them to the game with the intention that players will use them?

there is content in the game balanced and designed for solo play?

if you want to talk about how eso is "supposed" to be played you've already proven your own point wrong

like you said, its right there in the game design

Right. They are changing the game to cater to the casual players. That is not how the game was originally, and I disagree with the change in direction the the dev team has taken. It's dumbing down the game.

I have found that the two companions I have, who are totally decked out in premium gear, are still nearly useless in every situation as well. It doesn't make sense from any perspective other than marketing.

This game has catered to the casual player since One Tamriel over 6 years ago. They couldn't keep anyone into the game as a "hardcore" MMO. They had to drop the mandatory sub and change the entire game world to scale to your level in order to gain the success ESO has now.

ESO would be NOTHING if it didn't cater to the casual audience that is it's core customer base.

Shows how long you've been into ESO. Cause you really have no idea what made this game successful and what almost caused it to fail.

• Browiseth
    Browiseth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    None
    Companions are for games that people play solo. They don't fit in for MMO's. In MMO's there are other real people we are supposed to interact with to get things done.

Here you go, enlighten yourself to the wonderful world of people that are unlike you.

I focus on being a strong enough player that I don't need NPC's helping me accomplish my in game goals. I make friends with people and join guilds. That's how MMO's are designed to work.

I'm glad you like companions, but there is no reason to be defensive when someone points out how they don't really fit well with an MMO. MMO's are SUPPOSED to encourage the player to make friends, join guilds and work with other players. Companions discourage players from making friends, joining guild and working with other players.

again it's pretty clear you did not watch the video and that notwithstanding your reasoning here is incredibly close-minded and self-centered. your reasoning kinda boils down to "people who play the game different to me are wrong." and please don't backtrack on this when you literally tried to define what types of content an MMO is "supposed" to encourage its players to engage in. in the end an MMORPG is kinda just a huge sandbox with a bunch of different types of content to appeal to many different types of players, whether that's solo, group or player versus player content. the actual goal of an MMO should be to make all of those forms of content feel rewarding.

why are there even quests in this game? why isn't it when i log in i'm not automatically queued for a group to pvp or do dungeons?

yes there is an obvious multiplayer component to an MMO but the amazing thing is that the player is presented with the choice in what level of the multiplayer they engage in. for a large chunk of players, their level of engagement is to play solo, and the multiplayer component exists as this community of players in the background of their single player experience.

that's not even beginning to get into the fact that eso is an M-M-O-R-P-G, emphasis on the RPG, i.e roleplaying game. a central feature of roleplaying games has often been being able to interact with other NPC characters, whether that's as questgivers or companions in the combat and story.

i encourage you to think outside of your own experience with eso. it's pretty fascinating to explore the different ways this game is enjoyed by people that may not be your own, and it's something i've grown a further appreciation for over the years.

also, to suggest companions discourage players from meeting other players is...pretty baseless conjecture. and even if they did, what does it matter?

My logic hols up just fine. You might want to ask yourself why you are so defensive about this topic. There is always Skyrim if you want to run around with a bunch of companions and pets. This is an MMO and a totally different game. It's meant to be played with other players, not solely with NPC's. It's not my opinion, it's right there in the game design. And, in case you didn't notice, you are getting access to a total of 4 companions now, so you should be happy, not defensive.

so wait

so the developers added them to the game with the intention that players will use them?

if you want to talk about how eso is "supposed" to be played you've already proven your own point wrong

Right. They are changing the game to cater to the casual players. That is not how the game was originally, and I disagree with the change in direction the the dev team has taken. It's dumbing down the game.

I have found that the two companions I have, who are totally decked out in premium gear, are still nearly useless in every situation as well. It doesn't make sense from any perspective other than marketing.

This game has catered to the casual player since One Tamriel over 6 years ago. They couldn't keep anyone into the game as a "hardcore" MMO. They had to drop the mandatory sub and change the entire game world to scale to your level in order to gain the success ESO has now.

ESO would be NOTHING if it didn't cater to the casual audience that is it's core customer base.

Shows how long you've been into ESO. Cause you really have no idea what made this game successful and what almost caused it to fail.

the game was never even really a "hardcore" (whatever that means) game to begin with if you really think about it. at launch there wasn't even really an endgame since trials hadn't been added, so that left pvp as the "skill ceiling" side of the game but, well...cyrodiil isn't exactly known for being a competitive environment, even back then

even when we factor in pve endgame if we assume to be trials, that's always been such a tiny part of the game relative to all the other forms of content available for the player to engage in

i dunno man. i think some people just aren't capable of thinking outside of their own playstyle in games, yknow?
    skingrad when zoscharacters:
    • EP - M - Strikes-with-Arcane - Argonian Stamina Sorc - lvl 50 - The Flawless Conqueror/Spirit Slayer
    • EP - F - Melina Elinia - Dunmer Magicka Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Sinnia Lavellan - Altmer Warden Healer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Follows-the-Arcane - Argonian Healer Sorcerer- lvl 50
    • EP - F - Ashes-of-Arcane - Argonian Magicka Necromancer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Bolgrog the Sinh - Orc Stamina Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Moonlight Maiden - Altmer Magicka Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Maxine Cauline - Breton Magicka Nightblade - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Garrus Loridius - Imperial Stamina Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Jennifer Loridius - Imperial Necromancer tank - lvl 50
    PC/NA but live in EU 150+ ping lyfe
  • SainguinKrist
    SainguinKrist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isobel

so wait

the game was never even really a "hardcore" (whatever that means) game to begin with if you really think about it. at launch there wasn't even really an endgame since trials hadn't been added, so that left pvp as the "skill ceiling" side of the game but, well...cyrodiil isn't exactly known for being a competitive environment, even back then

even when we factor in pve endgame if we assume to be trials, that's always been such a tiny part of the game relative to all the other forms of content available for the player to engage in

i dunno man. i think some people just aren't capable of thinking outside of their own playstyle in games, yknow?

I agree that it's never truly had a hardcore angle to it, but I was trying to be generous by saying that pre-1T that argument might of held more water.

But the game has been 1T longer than it hasn't. ZOS themselves have basically said numerous times, they want to cater to a casual audience.

I don't understand how anyone can see ESO as anything other than a casual MMO. Matt Firor himself doesn't even view ESO as an MMO.

I mean.. come on.

But yea, I think it's simply that people aren't willing to widen their perspective a bit and accept that others play this game for completely different reasons than they do.