The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Does anything new come with High Isle besides the card game?

Uvi_AUT
Uvi_AUT
✭✭✭✭✭
I was reading the patchnotes and looking at Videos.
Is it possible that this Addon is very light on "meaty" content?
No changes in Skills (will skill-lines like Psijic Order ever get a revamp?
No revamping of the difficulty (after a decade you might think something will be done here. Even LOTRO and SW:ToR managed to come up with difficultymodes a long time ago.)
No new class
No new weapon-skilline (we still use the same weapons from release. Not even a second Magicweapon in sight)
No new skills affecting combat
No revamp of UI-elements (Gear-Backpack? Housing-UI?.....)
No revamp of old Sets (90% of them are useless).

I understand its their game. But can they please do anything else than ...add new zone with: X Skyshards X Sets, X Dungeons and a Raid....

I think I skip this Addon.
Registered since 2014, Customer Service lost my Forum-Account and can't find it.....
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are two new Companons, who will have different class skills from Mirri and Bastian. It's not really a new feature so much as an extension of Blackwood's major new feature.

But yes, in terms of the "extra features" that are why we pay cash for the Chapter as opposed to crowns for a DLC like Orsinium, High Isle is rather light except for the card game.
    Options
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Other than a couple decent mythics, the card game (which is another daily with daily rewards including exp btw), and the companions, you don't get much more than the zone itself. Personally, I'd pick it up for the sea serpent's coil alone since that mythic will go great with my build. I also tried the card game, and though it's not a competitive card game like the claim but instead a party game for 2 people, it's fine to kill some time when queuing for dungeons as a DPS and for the daily rewards. [snip] Sounds more like a corporate decision or one that a couple of the higher ups in ESO's development REALLY wanted. Either way, weird decision. Not unwelcome in my opinion, but I woulda much rather had TESL instead of this weird game.

[edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Exile on May 31, 2022 6:54PM
    Options
  • Aardappelboom
    Aardappelboom
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the card game is a fun addition but if they would just make the story and quests optionally more difficult with difficulty sliders or whatever, I would honestly be happy to pay for "just" the new zone and the included stories.

It would massively increase the value of the new zone for me.

I would still like some extra features of course, but just saying that ignoring the difficulty problem for overland really hurts the value of these zone DLCs.
    Options
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm interested in the two companions, they're both AOE heavy and the Templar one has several hybrid healing abilities that do other things.
    Options
  • Kusto
    Kusto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The new trial is the only reason I'm buying the chapter.
    Options
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I find it odd that SWTOR is mentioned as a game that is difficult. It’s not. The only time SWTOR can be considered difficult is when they increase the level cap and we have to grind for new gear while wearing our old gear. That’s temporary. It’s also a game that is on life support.

Content is the most important addition to any MMORPG. ESO gets a lot of new content, especially compared to SWTOR.
    Edited by Amottica on May 30, 2022 10:39AM
    Options
  • Caupo
    Caupo
    ✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »
    Content is the most important addition to any MMORPG. ESO gets a lot of new content, especially compared to SWTOR.

As well as quality of SWTOR new content is lackluster at best. Missing complete audio dialogues for quests, cropped zone maps and sometime very frustrating zone progressions.
    "Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."
    Options
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm pleased to see a new zone that has a more classic medieval fantasy feel to it. Don't really care about adding new features - we have had plenty of that. Would prefer to see some focus on fixing small things that basically no one objects to, like:
    Fix Timbercrow Wanderer costume. If Almalexia can wear a loin cloth with no diaper, why can't my elf?
    Hide shoulders (though I'd be able to hide any/all apparel items).
    Add more warden bear skin options to go into the existing more warden bear skin options feature.
    Give companions their own small inventory to carry an extra set of companion gear.
    Allow the armory system to pull needed items from your bank instead of just your inventory.
    Create a master attunable table per craft to keep full service guilds from getting swallowed by the ever growing sea of tables.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
    Options
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nope, just the card game. That's it.

"And the companions!"

Oh alright, and the two new companions.

"And the new zones!"

Well of course there's new zones! The new zones go without saying! But other tha-

"And the new trial!"

"And the volcanic vents!"

"And the new mythics and antiquities!"

"And the quickslot system overhaul!"

"And the addition of mundus stones to the armory system!"

"And the main menu music selection!"

Okay, fine! But apart from the card game, the new zones, the new companions, the trial, the volcanic vents, the mythics and antiquities, the quickslot system update, the mundus stones for the armory system, and main menu music selection, what have ZOS ever done for us!?
    Options
  • Naftal
    Naftal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darkstorne wrote: »

"And the companions!"

"And the new zones!"

Well of course there's new zones! The new zones go without saying! But other tha-

"And the new trial!"

Okay, fine! But apart from the card game, the new zones, the new companions, the trial, the volcanic vents, the mythics and antiquities, the quickslot system update, the mundus stones for the armory system, and main menu music selection, what have ZOS ever done for us!?

The last three things you said are part of the update, not part of the chapter. Volcanic vents are just glorified dolmens. The zone and trial are something every chapter gives. I'd argue that two new useless companions aren't new content. Only new thing we get is the card game that has no connection to the game otherwise.
    Options
  • Gaebriel0410
    Gaebriel0410
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't be too positive or excited, or you may lose your jaded internet veterancy status. :D
    Options
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Naftal wrote: »

"And the companions!"

"And the new zones!"

"And the new trial!"

The last three things you said are part of the update, not part of the chapter. Volcanic vents are just glorified dolmens. The zone and trial are something every chapter gives. I'd argue that two new useless companions aren't new content. Only new thing we get is the card game that has no connection to the game otherwise.

Something flew over your head. 😉
    Options
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Naftal wrote: »

"And the companions!"

"And the new zones!"

"And the new trial!"

Yes, but they ARE something the OP specifically asked for ("revamp of UI elements") while claiming nothing was being done in this regard. I could even have listed updates to skills in there since he also said he wanted that and claimed it wasn't happening.

Generally the complaining I see about High Isle not offering anything new, should really be "High Isle doesn't add anything new that I want."
    Options
  • KalevaLaine
    KalevaLaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    More useless sets are coming. ^^
    i TurNeD inTo A mARtian 👽 // PC EU seit 2020 (3302CP) // PS EU von 2015-2020 (1250CP)
    Options
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm pleased to see a new zone that has a more classic medieval fantasy feel to it. Don't really care about adding new features - we have had plenty of that. Would prefer to see some focus on fixing small things that basically no one objects to, like:
    Fix Timbercrow Wanderer costume. If Almalexia can wear a loin cloth with no diaper, why can't my elf?
    Hide shoulders (though I'd be able to hide any/all apparel items).
    Add more warden bear skin options to go into the existing more warden bear skin options feature.
    Give companions their own small inventory to carry an extra set of companion gear.
    Allow the armory system to pull needed items from your bank instead of just your inventory.
    Create a master attunable table per craft to keep full service guilds from getting swallowed by the ever growing sea of tables.

These are quite good suggestions - I support them wholeheartedly.
    Options
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

"And the companions!"

"And the new zones!"

"And the new trial!"

Very good points.
    Options
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still too expensive for the amount added. I'll wait for the sale.
    PCNA
    PCEU
    Options
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nothing that is worth the 60$ purchase on top of your ESO+ subscription imo. At least wait until the chpater goes on a hefty sale because any perceived 'OP' sets or mythics coming with the chapter are guaranteed to get nerfed into oblivion when they need to sell the next best thing.
    Options
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No new battleground set in High Isle theme. Huge miss.
    PC NA
    Options
  • Starlight_Knight
    Starlight_Knight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing is new, just a bunch of content bloat, and on top of the last few poor years. this will be eso's worst year since pre one tamriel.
    Shocking dissapointment, and from a company who are supposed to be working on their communication think a card game is what we want.
    Options
  • Mr_Stach
    Mr_Stach
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    More useless sets are coming. ^^

I know probably a TON of people don't care but Whorl of the Depths is great for Magicka Warden. So I'm happy with it.
    Altoholic, Frost Warden Sympathizer and Main

Glacial Guardian - Main - Frost Warden Zealot
    The Frost Man Cometh - PC Frost Backup
    Options
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Short/direct answer: No.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
    Options
  • peacenote
    peacenote
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

"And the companions!"

"And the new zones!"

"And the new trial!"

I think ZOS has two issues (at least from my perspective). And they both were kind of avoidable, forseeable traps.

1-- The year long story arc and the predictable pattern for releases that they've adopted. While I kind of like that I know I'll get new dungeons and trials on a regular basis (my favorite content)... there's no surprises. No bonus dungeon, never any group content released in an unexpected way. It is human nature. The pattern makes it so that everything that is planned and repeatable is taken for granted. Because I know what is baseline, ZOS would have to go above and beyond with the content I like for me to sit up and take notice. And it's true for most of us - it is just that everyone has different things they like so because it all is so formulaic now, they'd have to go above and beyond in all areas to get to the point where people don't feel that the standard release is lacking.

2-- I'm one of the many people (and yes I know it's not everyone) who LOST SO MUCH with the implementation of AwA. We were specifically told that AwA was done to reduce the size of the achievement database... so it's almost impossible for me now to NOT be resentful if a new feature comes out with new achievements, which means it is part of what they "made space for." So... getting a card game instead of being able to repeat dungeon achievements? Horrible trade off. I'm betting the new companions were a lot of effort and I'm even happy that we're getting morally flexible ones. But compared to a loss of map completion differentiation for my alts? I absolutely do not care. I lost a lot of content I enjoyed to gain some things that are marginally interesting at best in comparison.

So.... shrug. Expansion feels "meh" because a lot of it includes things we always get and the rest of it doesn't compare to what was lost in AwA. For me, anyway. It is what it is. I would have been perfectly content, if not happy, with what we are getting if AwA had been better, but now it feels like we need double and triple the harder group content we needed before, for those of us who liked it. Because re-playing it in a trackable way is no longer an option.
    Edited by peacenote on May 30, 2022 6:21PM
    My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
    • Advocate for this HERE.
    • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
    Options
  • ResidentContrarian
    ResidentContrarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It comes with a new mythic that will be mandatory for PvP and PvE despite what anyone says on the forums...ain't that enough?
    Options
  • Luke_Flamesword
    Luke_Flamesword
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Geez, so many negative energy in this topic only because you get thing that you don't want. I don't get it. With every chapter we get big new zone with standard stuff like main quest and smaller quests, delves,, world bossess and other zone things. This is just new base content and even if this is very non-creative - this is still NEW CONTENT, which takes a lot of work to make it. Every new zone uses a lot of new assets and looks better and better with every chapter. Also every chapter brings new main feature which expands also future chapters - you talk about lacking of new content but with every chapter they have to make new things from previous chapters. So now we will have new antiquities, new companions (even you don't like it, this is still a lot of work - writing quests, making voices, coding into game, etc.), new furnitures and many more stuff added in some point earlier.

Making whole game card is also huge (design, UI, balance, etc.) and I get it that you may hate idea, but you must admit that's a lot of work to do. This is not lazy way to make chapter. Some companies just throws random content and that's it. In ESO we have a lot of addons (every quarter new content) with many QoL changes, balancing and extra features, but you still say that's nothing only because you don't like what you get...
    PC | EU | DC |Stam Dk Breton
    Options
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finedaible wrote: »
    Nothing that is worth the 60$ purchase on top of your ESO+ subscription imo. At least wait until the chpater goes on a hefty sale because any perceived 'OP' sets or mythics coming with the chapter are guaranteed to get nerfed into oblivion when they need to sell the next best thing.

Unless it is heavily discounted I intend to wait for High Isle to become a DLC with the next chapter and pay for a month of ESO+ to play the full year of content.
    Options
  • Didgerion
    Didgerion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SkaraMinoc wrote: »

Why would they give free stuff to PVP players?

The new sets are under the pay-gate, if you want to be competitive in PVP you buy it. I think it is the right decision from the marketing team....but nevertheless it is still a miss, leaving PVP in its current state is not very wise, Cyrodiil and Battlegrounds are long outdated and PVP players are simply not interested in spending money for the new sets because it won't improve their PVP experience.
    Options
  • Ipsius
    Ipsius
    ✭✭✭✭
    "Does anything new come with High Isle besides the card game?"

-Proceeds to state they've read the patch notes.

So uhh... Yeah. You read the patch notes, right?
    Options
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Didgerion wrote: »
    SkaraMinoc wrote: »

Why would they give free stuff to PVP players?

The new sets are under the pay-gate, if you want to be competitive in PVP you buy it. I think it is the right decision from the marketing team....but nevertheless it is still a miss, leaving PVP in its current state is not very wise, Cyrodiil and Battlegrounds are long outdated and PVP players are simply not interested in spending money for the new sets because it won't improve their PVP experience.

I agree that PvP is not well monetized. I think they goofed when they made PvP part of the base game without anything notable tied to ESO+.

However, skilled players will do just fine without getting the gear from this chapter. A players skill greatly outweighs their gear choice.
    Options
  • TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    High Isle is bigger then Blackwood, Blackwoods only new feature was the Companions, High Isle is adding just as many new companions plus the new card game plus a pretty cool zone.
    Options