The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Does anything new come with High Isle besides the card game?

• Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'd buy it alone just for the new story content, but I'm with peacenote about how AwA was implemented to make room for "new systems" (ZOS quote) and the cardgame is the "new system" this chapter. I feel sour towards it because I lost the history of all my alts for a cardgame. I did try to test the card game on PTS, found it confusing and unengaging, the tutorial audio wasn't working at the time, and I didn't feel like googling how to play it, so after a couple rounds of trying to figure it out on my own and finding it not easy to do nor fun, I feel discouraged that the individual identity of my characters was destroyed for this "new system". It's going to take a pretty amazing new system to make up for what ZOS deleted from my characters, and this card game is not it.

For the record, I've said it before and I'll say it again for those who haven't seen my comments on the topic, I would have been fine with AwA if it was added on top of the individual character achievements we already had. That would have been cool. Instead, my alts are now just a Borg collective and all their history and dates and those things I loved looking back on and also working towards are now assimilated in a bad way.
    HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kesstryl wrote: »
    I'd buy it alone just for the new story content, but I'm with peacenote about how AwA was implemented to make room for "new systems" (ZOS quote) and the cardgame is the "new system" this chapter. I feel sour towards it because I lost the history of all my alts for a cardgame. I did try to test the card game on PTS, found it confusing and unengaging, the tutorial audio wasn't working at the time, and I didn't feel like googling how to play it, so after a couple rounds of trying to figure it out on my own and finding it not easy to do nor fun, I feel discouraged that the individual identity of my characters was destroyed for this "new system". It's going to take a pretty amazing new system to make up for what ZOS deleted from my characters, and this card game is not it.

For the record, I've said it before and I'll say it again for those who haven't seen my comments on the topic, I would have been fine with AwA if it was added on top of the individual character achievements we already had. That would have been cool. Instead, my alts are now just a Borg collective and all their history and dates and those things I loved looking back on and also working towards are now assimilated in a bad way.

There are a bunch of videos on youtube how to play the card game - I found this video helpful, which explains as well what you see on screen, most go into detail without having explained this

https://youtube.com/watch?v=aCiqOWiJYss
    Edited by Lysette on May 31, 2022 3:09AM
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Geez, so many negative energy in this topic only because you get thing that you don't want. I don't get it. With every chapter we get big new zone with standard stuff like main quest and smaller quests, delves,, world bossess and other zone things. This is just new base content and even if this is very non-creative - this is still NEW CONTENT, which takes a lot of work to make it. Every new zone uses a lot of new assets and looks better and better with every chapter. Also every chapter brings new main feature which expands also future chapters - you talk about lacking of new content but with every chapter they have to make new things from previous chapters. So now we will have new antiquities, new companions (even you don't like it, this is still a lot of work - writing quests, making voices, coding into game, etc.), new furnitures and many more stuff added in some point earlier.

Making whole game card is also huge (design, UI, balance, etc.) and I get it that you may hate idea, but you must admit that's a lot of work to do. This is not lazy way to make chapter. Some companies just throws random content and that's it. In ESO we have a lot of addons (every quarter new content) with many QoL changes, balancing and extra features, but you still say that's nothing only because you don't like what you get...

So we should all get really happy if they add Fruit Ninja or Farmville to the game the next time around?

Add content appropriate for an MMO, not a CCG that has not point being in an MMO.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geez, so many negative energy in this topic only because you get thing that you don't want. I don't get it. With every chapter we get big new zone with standard stuff like main quest and smaller quests, delves,, world bossess and other zone things. This is just new base content and even if this is very non-creative - this is still NEW CONTENT, which takes a lot of work to make it. Every new zone uses a lot of new assets and looks better and better with every chapter. Also every chapter brings new main feature which expands also future chapters - you talk about lacking of new content but with every chapter they have to make new things from previous chapters. So now we will have new antiquities, new companions (even you don't like it, this is still a lot of work - writing quests, making voices, coding into game, etc.), new furnitures and many more stuff added in some point earlier.

Making whole game card is also huge (design, UI, balance, etc.) and I get it that you may hate idea, but you must admit that's a lot of work to do. This is not lazy way to make chapter. Some companies just throws random content and that's it. In ESO we have a lot of addons (every quarter new content) with many QoL changes, balancing and extra features, but you still say that's nothing only because you don't like what you get...

So we should all get really happy if they add Fruit Ninja or Farmville to the game the next time around?

Add content appropriate for an MMO, not a CCG that has not point being in an MMO.

Actually that was quite a thing in Archeage, farming and selling crops - a lot did it and it was really fun to do. I would definitely do it, I have as well a bunch of farms in no man's sky. Mineral extraction and industry is half of the game in EVE as well - it is not out of place in an MMO at all.

Imagine some planting containers to grow some of the alchemy ingredients for example - that would be helpful in ESO as well. Something like Bethesda did it in Fallout 4 for example, that was really fun to do and made life easier.

ua5imcanxtq0.jpg

That was my first greenhouse - roof still under construction - had harvested right before taking that picture.

Edited by Lysette on May 31, 2022 4:00AM
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Good point .
    What can Mend Wounds help to the group or even solo ?
    Why ZOS still no big change for this skill ...

When you see the group healer using this skill , what do you think ? :D
  • Mushroomancer
    Mushroomancer
    ✭✭✭✭

I don't know if you've noticed, but this game is supposed to be an MMO, shocker I know. You can't go around calling your game an MMORPG while catering pretty much only to the hypercasual "I log in each expansion just to do the quest and then either do dailies for the rest of the year like a zombie or just quit till next year" crowd, if you want to keep an MMO alive and the playerbase happy you need to give content to each subset of that population. PvP is a joke and PvP players get nothing each year and ZOS knows it, they just hope they can somehow fix the shitshow that is Cyro so the PvP content can go back to making itself; endgame PvE is stale as ***, it's stuck to 1 trial a year, and you can get the trifecta to dungeons in an afternoon if you know what you are doing.
    But I guess that's ok, because we are getting an ES:L light reskin (which also has you split decks with your opponent for whatever reason), so that makes up for not getting a class or skill line since Elsweyr (no, Excavation and Scrying don't count, they are just a pointless skill point sink), for PvP being a mess, for *** being broken for years without fixes, for writing that just won't stop nosediving in quality, for more repetitive and trite overland content which you can label as "new and original" just because it looks marginally different from last year's version, for balancing that is all over the place every patch [snip], and a myriad of other small little problems.

Also, can we stop with the "Oh it took a lot of work, so it deserves praise" argument? Just because something takes time or effort, it doesn't mean it's automatically worthy of praise. If I were to build a massive pile of garbage, it would take an ungodly amount of work, but I wouldn't expect people to praise it, it's useless garbage after all. And I know this *** takes work, every year, and I think we can all appreciate the people who actually put in the work, the problem is with who is calling the shots because it's looking more and more like this game has no direction anymore. [snip]
    And just to add a final note, the fact that they add new content for every feature that was introduced doesn't excuse them for making lackluster expansions; the bulk of the work, I would expect, is in creating the framework for those features, adding new stuff that works in that framework would take a fraction of the work. And I seriously wish they would stop having these pointless to marginally useful fluff features as their selling point every year, just *** stop and try, at least try to please your entire playerbase, [snip]

[edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on May 31, 2022 12:34PM
    PC | EU 1600+ CP

Chews-On-Shrooms - Argonian (EP) | Healer Warden
    I know I have a problem, leave me alone:

Nirya Urayel - Altmer (EP) | Healer/Magicka Templar
    Ulen Favel - Dunmer (EP) | Magicka Nightblade
    Anise Favel - Dunmer (EP) | Magicka Dragonknight
    Vivienne Rielle - Breton (EP) | Hybrid Healer/Magicka Necromancer
    Gaspar Rielle - Breton (DC) | Magicka Sorcerer
    Ulfgar the Foul - Nord (EP) | Tank Necromancer
    Plays-With-Chains - Argonian (EP) | Tank Dragonknight
    Sonje the Wild - Nord (EP) | Tank Warden
    Brutus Lovidicus - Imperial (EP) | Tank Nightblade
    Velms Ienith - Dunmer (EP) | Tank Sorcerer
    Cassius Lanius - Imperial (EP) | Tank/Stamina Templar
    Shakar-gro-Khazgur - Orc (DC) | Stamina Dragonknight
    Liette Nightwind - Bosmer (AD) | Stamina Nightblade
    Ja'khar the Salty - Khajiit (EP) | Stamina Necromancer
    Saadia al-Tava - Redguard (EP) | Stamina Sorcerer
    Gwinas Hemp-Burner - Bosmer (EP) | Stamina Warden
    Grand Master Crafter, All Dungeon HM up to Stonethorn, vCrag HM, vDSA, vMA, Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, vHOF HM, vAS+2, Gryphon Heart, vBRP, vSS HM (Extinguisher of Flames),
    vKA HM (Shield of the North), vRG 1/3HM
  • Uvi_AUT
    Uvi_AUT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darkstorne wrote: »

"And the quickslot system overhaul!"

Yes, but they ARE something the OP specifically asked for ("revamp of UI elements") while claiming nothing was being done in this regard. I could even have listed updates to skills in there since he also said he wanted that and claimed it wasn't happening.
    I honestly overlooked that. Thats something fun for consoleplayer
    Ipsius wrote: »
    "Does anything new come with High Isle besides the card game?"

-Proceeds to state they've read the patch notes.

So uhh... Yeah. You read the patch notes, right?

I did. Couldnt find anything besides the cardgame that isnt the same thing we get every few months.
    Cant they just pull a few people off the zone/dungeon/trial/skyshards-team to at least make a new weapon and a housing/setarmor-UI? I would even pay 30 bucks for it.
    Registered since 2014, Customer Service lost my Forum-Account and can't find it.....
  • Lailaamell
    Lailaamell
    ✭✭✭
    Card game feels bit lackluster addition and 2 companions i probly never will use for i dont even use the ones from blackwood.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lailaamell wrote: »
    Card game feels bit lackluster addition and 2 companions i probly never will use for i dont even use the ones from blackwood.

But a lot are using them - to me it feels like playing one or two new classes having Mirri at my side. She can do so diverse tasks, that dependent on what I give her, it feels every time like playing a different class (with a minion). My game play as a non-cp player has changed drastically since I have Mirri - and I am not done yet, with trying her abilities out in different setups. Mirri has actually refreshed my interest in the game in a whole - I was near to leave for a while, but then I got her and now all has changed.
    Edited by Lysette on May 31, 2022 9:38AM
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just hope that the tutorial for the card game is good - that game is not intuitive to understand - unlike Qwent in witcher, which was right from the start very intuitive and easy to get into. To me this one looks awkward and not any intuitive.
  • Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lysette wrote: »
    Kesstryl wrote: »

There are a bunch of videos on youtube how to play the card game - I found this video helpful, which explains as well what you see on screen, most go into detail without having explained this

https://youtube.com/watch?v=aCiqOWiJYss

I appreciate your desire to help, I really do, but I did say that I didn't feel like googling it at the time. I mean I got the gist of how to buy cards and what power does and what not during my testing, but it was not intuitive to pick up on my own. I think that will hinder its success. As was mentioned, Gwent was intuitive, this is not, unless you've played another card game that mirrors its mechanics. Many people just want to play a game, not google how to play it. The only time I google MMO content is end game stuff so I can learn mechanics and how to build for it, and that's because I don't want to be a liability in group content. Everything else I learn as I go which makes discovery and exploration more rewarding. Not every player is addicted to streamers. I'd rather play the game than watch someone else do it.
    HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
  • Ishtarknows
    Ishtarknows
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are two new Companons, who will have different class skills from Mirri and Bastian. It's not really a new feature so much as an extension of Blackwood's major new feature.

But yes, in terms of the "extra features" that are why we pay cash for the Chapter as opposed to crowns for a DLC like Orsinium, High Isle is rather light except for the card game.

I'd like for Zos to make content where you NEED to bring a companion because once my two are levelled (nbrp anyone?) for the achievements. They're being shelved and never seen again. I have no need for them in content.
    Most of the time they get in the way (watching tank Bastians taunt enemies out of my aoes in the immolation portals is a daily annoyance at the minute) and whenever I've used them to farm XP they mess up my add pulls and just die, not to mention there's no mute button. I don't need, want nor did I ask for them but if there was content that was maybe too hard without a companion I might start using them.
  • MudcrabAttack
    MudcrabAttack
    ✭✭✭✭
    The biggest difference this time around is the new sets coming with the raid and new mythics - something for people who don’t like bar swapping, something for people who want to gain more XP, something with quick access to major berserk and courage, are relatively strong, even the new crafted set is pretty good. Other chapters released with maybe just one set that looked interesting.

All the rest of the major stuff like nerfs to one thing or another are completely free
  • LashanW
    LashanW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The biggest difference this time around is the new sets coming with the raid and new mythics - something for people who don’t like bar swapping, something for people who want to gain more XP, something with quick access to major berserk and courage, are relatively strong, even the new crafted set is pretty good. Other chapters released with maybe just one set that looked interesting.
    I am very interested in some of the sets that are releasing with High-Isle. The crafted set and the one bar mythic item for example. But I'm afraid to buy the chapter for those.

Because ZoS will nerf them after some time, like they have done with all the good sets that were released with chapters.
    ---No longer active in ESO---
    Platform: PC-EU
    CP: 2500+
    Trial Achievements
    Godslayer, Gryphon Heart, Tick-Tock Tormentor, Immortal Redeemer, Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, vMoL no death

Arena Achievements
    vMA Flawless, vVH Spirit Slayer

DLC Dungeon Trifectas
    Scalecaller Peak, Fang Lair, Depths of Malatar, Icereach
  • Rex-Umbra
    Rex-Umbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Every year we get less for the same price. Vvardenfell was the best value for the money. New PvP mode and new class plus huge landmass though there is 100s of doors we can't enter but still huge.
    Xbox GT: Rex Umbrah
    GM of IMPERIUM since 2015.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kusto wrote: »
    The new trial is the only reason I'm buying the chapter.

That is probably what will get me as well. That said, I am holding out as long as possible. Not pre-ordering a card game, not now, not ever.
  • Mesite
    Mesite
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm too old to learn new things. I just want to follow the arrows. If there are arrows above NPC's heads in the towns then I'll eventually end up buying the chapter to see where the arrows lead.
  • Mr_Stach
    Mr_Stach
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think it's a fair criticism. We've been playing ESO for what 8 Years? There are plenty of pain points still not addressed. Warden and Necro still feel a bit Half-Baked. Sure a Card Game is great, but it doesn't solve any of the games over-arching issues. We don't need more distractions from Zos to hide some really core issues that ESO has.

But will I play the Card Game, maybe? It depends on if it rewards my time. But I'll probably get bored with it. We'll just have to see.
    Altoholic, Frost Warden Sympathizer and Main

Glacial Guardian - Main - Frost Warden Zealot
    The Frost Man Cometh - PC Frost Backup
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It wouldn't surprise me if ZOS makes this card game part of the base game real quick. I doubt playing npc's will be that good or worth it after you finish the story/rewards, and the player pool will dry up quick w/o it being f2p.

Hopefully lessons are learned from this update.
    Edited by Wolfpaw on May 31, 2022 9:53PM
  • edward_frigidhands
    edward_frigidhands
    ✭✭✭✭
    Uvi_AUT wrote: »
    I was reading the patchnotes and looking at Videos.
    Is it possible that this Addon is very light on "meaty" content?
    No changes in Skills (will skill-lines like Psijic Order ever get a revamp?
    No revamping of the difficulty (after a decade you might think something will be done here. Even LOTRO and SW:ToR managed to come up with difficultymodes a long time ago.)
    No new class
    No new weapon-skilline (we still use the same weapons from release. Not even a second Magicweapon in sight)
    No new skills affecting combat
    No revamp of UI-elements (Gear-Backpack? Housing-UI?.....)
    No revamp of old Sets (90% of them are useless).

I understand its their game. But can they please do anything else than ...add new zone with: X Skyshards X Sets, X Dungeons and a Raid....

I think I skip this Addon.

Psijic Order skill line is perfectly fine and is utilized prominently in several builds. What exactly makes you say that it requires an entire "revamp"?

What exactly is the issue with old sets? How are 90% of them useless? Are you sure they aren't just useless to you?

I am not saying that the expansion comes with a host of items but you're kind of all over the place here and making sweeping assumptions without providing reasoning or taking into account the fact that what you're asking to be changed may something being used and enjoyed by a lot of players other than yourself.
  • Shagreth
    Shagreth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was also hoping for a Vampirism Rework, both the skills and the overall experience are lacking in almost every department.

This expansion, at least from memory -- has to be the most uninteresting, features wise at least. I am really hoping that they aren't low-key shifting funds etc. to their new mmorpg and our ESO is becoming a sidekick.
  • wildbear247
    wildbear247
    ✭✭✭
    Been playing since 2015. Most fun I've had in this game was Cryodiil. Until they fix that I don't have much interest in coming back. And why did they create a new card game when TESL works just fine? Weird decision.

Let's hope they deliver on the Cyrodiil performance improvements
    PC NA
    The Ironwood Clan (all DC): Karbal Ironwood (Stamblade, PvP); Galtan Ironwood (Magblade, crafter, PvE, some PvP)

MY #1 ESO REQUEST: An overhauled way in which ZOS gathers, assesses, responds to, and incorporates player feedback on the current and future state of the game.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And just what is "content appropriate for an MMO"? Who gets to decide that? Is it just "if it's not something I want, it's not MMO-appropriate"? Or is it something else?

(honestly, by now, I'd be willing to bet that virtually everything has been added to an MMO somewhere. Including farming, base building, pokemon, racing, various card games...)

Meanwhile, as mentioned, the chapter includes a great deal of "MMO-standard" content - zone, quests, gear sets, raid, etc.

(heck, half the stuff that fits in "standard" MMO content, is junk that I don't care about. But you don't see me writing all that stuff off and saying "there's no content in this release." I've got no use for PvP, dungeons, or trials. That doesn't make it not-content, though.)
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the first time I've regretted pre-ordering a DLC/chapter. I paid $50 U.S. for this one and it's just not worth that much to me considering I'm not that interested in the card game. I wish I'd just waited for it to go on sale first.

I want the new companions because I love Mirri, but judgmental, annoying Bastian makes me want to throw hard objects at his head.

I will not pre-order the next DLC unless it comes with a new class, skill line or race.
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Did High Isle on the PTS. Saw it all, did most, found bugs, and finished it in 2 days. The card game is both incomprehensible and boring and really needs a new tutorial.

I see no reason to buy the chapter as I don't use companions, have traveled the entire very small island and completed main story.

Best part of it was the invisible faun bug. Get hit by something you can't see was new.
  • Tannus15
    Tannus15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    More useless sets are coming. ^^

Order’s Wrath - crafted version of medusa with a unique crit damage buff
    Whorl of the Depths - much needed light armour trial proc set
    Pillager’s Profit - great support set
    Pearlescent Ward - fantastic OT set for prog guilds
    Mora’s Whispers - really strong monster set alternative with xp boosts
    Oakensoul Ring - the one bar wonder ring

honestly they have a much higher hit rate this chapter.
    Edited by Tannus15 on June 1, 2022 1:00AM
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    This is the first time I've regretted pre-ordering a DLC/chapter. I paid $50 U.S. for this one and it's just not worth that much to me considering I'm not that interested in the card game. I wish I'd just waited for it to go on sale first.

I want the new companions because I love Mirri, but judgmental, annoying Bastian makes me want to throw hard objects at his head.

I will not pre-order the next DLC unless it comes with a new class, skill line or race.

I'm floating in the same boat, no shore in the distance yet.
  • AdamLAD
    AdamLAD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lets look at this logically.
    ESO- A game built around War, Invasions of the biggest scale and complex combat

High Isle - A card game

I mean forgive me if im wrong, but is common sense a dying trait in the human species.

• Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Triple triad is fairly popular in ff14
  • agelonestar
    agelonestar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darkstorne wrote: »
    Nope, just the card game. That's it.

"And the companions!"

Oh alright, and the two new companions.

"And the new zones!"

Well of course there's new zones! The new zones go without saying! But other tha-

"And the new trial!"

"And the volcanic vents!"

"And the new mythics and antiquities!"

"And the quickslot system overhaul!"

"And the addition of mundus stones to the armory system!"

"And the main menu music selection!"

Okay, fine! But apart from the card game, the new zones, the new companions, the trial, the volcanic vents, the mythics and antiquities, the quickslot system update, the mundus stones for the armory system, and main menu music selection, what have ZOS ever done for us!?

I’d suggest the problem here is that most of what you listed is not “new” content per se. It’s more of the same - an extension of existing content. The new companions, for example, are just two additional companions - the concept of companions came with the last chapter. Same is true with just about everything else on the list.

The original concept of a chapter versus a DLC was that we’d be paying for the development of “new” stuff - skill lines, races, guilds, etc etc. the reality is that High Isle is a DLC with a larger map and a card game that I expect, from what I have seen, will fall flat after a few weeks of interest. It’s also a smaller map than previous chapters and a shorter main quest line too.

It’s a shame that the trend is to offer less with almost every chapter. When you compare Summerset with High Isle, Summerset looks like awesome value now. The land mass is big. The quests were many and varied, with 10’s of hours of content. We got the Psijic skill line, jewellery crafting, plus all the usual reskinned Dolmens etc.

I really hope we get back to the chapter being a real highlight of the year.
    GM of Sunfire's Sect trading guild on PC/EU. All that is gold does not glitter; not all those who wander are lost...... some of us are just looking for trouble.
    GM of Sunfire's Sect (Open) & Dark Star Rising (Priv) | Retired GM of several trade guilds | Trader | Here since the beta