The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Does anything new come with High Isle besides the card game?

• Aetherderius
    Aetherderius
    ✭✭✭✭
    Darkstorne wrote: »

Okay, fine! But apart from the card game, the new zones, the new companions, the trial, the volcanic vents, the mythics and antiquities, the quickslot system update, the mundus stones for the armory system, and main menu music selection, what have ZOS ever done for us!?

Brought peace and a fun game?
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AdamLAD wrote: »
    Lets look at this logically.
    ESO- A game built around

High Isle - A card game built around War, Invasions of the biggest scale and complex combat

High Isle - A card game

I mean forgive me if im wrong, but is common sense a dying trait in the human species.

I'm not disagreeing with you completely but let's recall that the game also has:
    -fishing
    -cooking
    -housing/decorating
    -archaeology
    -fashion / dress up

I think the card game would have been better received if it was a part of an expansion that included greater refinements or additions to the "War, Invasions of the biggest scale and complex combat". It would have been a bonus or a cherry on top, rather than a main feature.
  • Malthorne
    Malthorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geez, so many negative energy in this topic only because you get thing that you don't want. I don't get it. With every chapter we get big new zone with standard stuff like main quest and smaller quests, delves,, world bossess and other zone things. This is just new base content and even if this is very non-creative - this is still NEW CONTENT, which takes a lot of work to make it. Every new zone uses a lot of new assets and looks better and better with every chapter. Also every chapter brings new main feature which expands also future chapters - you talk about lacking of new content but with every chapter they have to make new things from previous chapters. So now we will have new antiquities, new companions (even you don't like it, this is still a lot of work - writing quests, making voices, coding into game, etc.), new furnitures and many more stuff added in some point earlier.

Making whole game card is also huge (design, UI, balance, etc.) and I get it that you may hate idea, but you must admit that's a lot of work to do. This is not lazy way to make chapter. Some companies just throws random content and that's it. In ESO we have a lot of addons (every quarter new content) with many QoL changes, balancing and extra features, but you still say that's nothing only because you don't like what you get...

So we should all get really happy if they add Fruit Ninja or Farmville to the game the next time around?

Add content appropriate for an MMO, not a CCG that has not point being in an MMO.

Triple triad is fairly popular in ff14

Triple triad was already popular amongst final fantasy fans prior to FF14 being conceived. It was specifically asked for by name from portions of the community.

Triple triad is not a paid expansion feature.
    Matches are fast and aren’t going to last 20 minutes. Not even close to it.
    You earn cards by playing triple triad and also passively through other activities, such as killing dungeon and raid bosses. Your hard work farming cards and building a deck isn’t nullified by splitting your deck with your opponents.
    It’s a great way to earn gold saucer points for those sweet mount, minions and many other cosmetic rewards.
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Malthorne wrote: »
    Geez, so many negative energy in this topic only because you get thing that you don't want. I don't get it. With every chapter we get big new zone with standard stuff like main quest and smaller quests, delves,, world bossess and other zone things. This is just new base content and even if this is very non-creative - this is still NEW CONTENT, which takes a lot of work to make it. Every new zone uses a lot of new assets and looks better and better with every chapter. Also every chapter brings new main feature which expands also future chapters - you talk about lacking of new content but with every chapter they have to make new things from previous chapters. So now we will have new antiquities, new companions (even you don't like it, this is still a lot of work - writing quests, making voices, coding into game, etc.), new furnitures and many more stuff added in some point earlier.

Making whole game card is also huge (design, UI, balance, etc.) and I get it that you may hate idea, but you must admit that's a lot of work to do. This is not lazy way to make chapter. Some companies just throws random content and that's it. In ESO we have a lot of addons (every quarter new content) with many QoL changes, balancing and extra features, but you still say that's nothing only because you don't like what you get...

So we should all get really happy if they add Fruit Ninja or Farmville to the game the next time around?

Add content appropriate for an MMO, not a CCG that has not point being in an MMO.

Triple triad was already popular amongst final fantasy fans prior to FF14 being conceived. It was specifically asked for by name from portions of the community.

You earn cards by playing triple triad and also passively through other activities, such as killing dungeon and raid bosses. Your hard work farming cards and building a deck isn’t nullified by splitting your deck with your opponents.
    It’s a great way to earn gold saucer points for those sweet mount, minions and many other cosmetic rewards.

So it has its place in an mmo despite being a card game wich is exactly the point im making
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

And just what is "content appropriate for an MMO"? Who gets to decide that? Is it just "if it's not something I want, it's not MMO-appropriate"? Or is it something else?

(honestly, by now, I'd be willing to bet that virtually everything has been added to an MMO somewhere. Including farming, base building, pokemon, racing, various card games...)

Meanwhile, as mentioned, the chapter includes a great deal of "MMO-standard" content - zone, quests, gear sets, raid, etc.

(heck, half the stuff that fits in "standard" MMO content, is junk that I don't care about. But you don't see me writing all that stuff off and saying "there's no content in this release." I've got no use for PvP, dungeons, or trials. That doesn't make it not-content, though.)

You think a CCG is a great part of an MMO? Really?
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • _adhyffbjjjf12
    _adhyffbjjjf12
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And just what is "content appropriate for an MMO"? Who gets to decide that? Is it just "if it's not something I want, it's not MMO-appropriate"? Or is it something else?

(honestly, by now, I'd be willing to bet that virtually everything has been added to an MMO somewhere. Including farming, base building, pokemon, racing, various card games...)

Meanwhile, as mentioned, the chapter includes a great deal of "MMO-standard" content - zone, quests, gear sets, raid, etc.

(heck, half the stuff that fits in "standard" MMO content, is junk that I don't care about. But you don't see me writing all that stuff off and saying "there's no content in this release." I've got no use for PvP, dungeons, or trials. That doesn't make it not-content, though.)

Great mmorpg - content is broad, multi layered and cohesive and rewards group play and interaction in open world. CCG, lock pairs of players in isolated instances for 10-30 mins - Not so great for a MMO me thinks :)
  • Malthorne
    Malthorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So it has its place in an mmo despite being a card game wich is exactly the point im making

It works in FF because of very particular circumstances. It is minuscule in terms of what FFXIV offers the player. A secondary feature.

Now, if a new class, skill line or game system had been scrapped in favor of adding triple triad as a main feature in FF the FF community would look at it very differently.

What reasons do you think the card game will work in ESO?
    Edited by Malthorne on June 1, 2022 6:33PM
  • _adhyffbjjjf12
    _adhyffbjjjf12
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Great mmorpg - content is broad, multi layered and cohesive and rewards group play and interaction in open world. CCG, lock pairs of players in isolated instances for 10-30 mins - Not so great for a MMO me thinks :)
    Next it will be fruit machines in the inns.

• NeuroticPixels
    NeuroticPixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Like slot machines??? I’d be down for that 100%.
    Check out the ReShade I made: Crispy Sharpness
  • Mushroomancer
    Mushroomancer
    ✭✭✭✭

The thing is, the content you mention being junk that you don't care about is all part of the "base package", if you will, of an MMO, that's why it would be objectively weird to say it's "not content". A card game is just that, a time-waster minigame, and I don't care if you like the idea or not, but that's just what it is. The problem with it though isn't the fact that it's a card minigame in and of itself, it's that it is the main selling point and core feature of the chapter, of which we get one per year. To put it in your perspective, it would be as if they announced the chapter and the only new feature that was added was a single group dungeon. I bet a lot of people wouldn't be pleased about that, especially those that play ESO as a single player game with a multiplayer backdrop.
    I honestly wouldn't mind the card game if it was one of the new features being added, but nope, it's the only one. Better luck next time for those of us that were expecting something actually new and interesting to sink our teeth in. Only problem is, that's been the sentiment for the last two years.

The same goes for this comment. The issue isn't that a useless fluff/grind feature is being added. The issue is that only a useless fluff/grind feature is being added. Not to mention that most people who have played the PTS who I have heard from mention it being quite a boring and tedious card game, so there's that too.
    PC | EU 1600+ CP

Chews-On-Shrooms - Argonian (EP) | Healer Warden
    I know I have a problem, leave me alone:

Nirya Urayel - Altmer (EP) | Healer/Magicka Templar
    Ulen Favel - Dunmer (EP) | Magicka Nightblade
    Anise Favel - Dunmer (EP) | Magicka Dragonknight
    Vivienne Rielle - Breton (EP) | Hybrid Healer/Magicka Necromancer
    Gaspar Rielle - Breton (DC) | Magicka Sorcerer
    Ulfgar the Foul - Nord (EP) | Tank Necromancer
    Plays-With-Chains - Argonian (EP) | Tank Dragonknight
    Sonje the Wild - Nord (EP) | Tank Warden
    Brutus Lovidicus - Imperial (EP) | Tank Nightblade
    Velms Ienith - Dunmer (EP) | Tank Sorcerer
    Cassius Lanius - Imperial (EP) | Tank/Stamina Templar
    Shakar-gro-Khazgur - Orc (DC) | Stamina Dragonknight
    Liette Nightwind - Bosmer (AD) | Stamina Nightblade
    Ja'khar the Salty - Khajiit (EP) | Stamina Necromancer
    Saadia al-Tava - Redguard (EP) | Stamina Sorcerer
    Gwinas Hemp-Burner - Bosmer (EP) | Stamina Warden
    Grand Master Crafter, All Dungeon HM up to Stonethorn, vCrag HM, vDSA, vMA, Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, vHOF HM, vAS+2, Gryphon Heart, vBRP, vSS HM (Extinguisher of Flames),
    vKA HM (Shield of the North), vRG 1/3HM
  • amapola76
    amapola76
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Generally the complaining I see about High Isle not offering anything new, should really be "High Isle doesn't add anything new that I want."

Which is a perfectly valid complaint to make, so...?
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I mean yes there is "new stuff" the companions are new, new dungeons etc.

If you're talking about whole new mechanics or gameplay style etc then no. Same game in new zone.
  • amapola76
    amapola76
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    amapola76 wrote: »
    Generally the complaining I see about High Isle not offering anything new, should really be "High Isle doesn't add anything new that I want."

Which is a perfectly valid complaint to make, so...?

ETA: I personally (1) do not care about the card game at all, but (2) I was excited enough by the zone itself and thought it looked good enough to me to make it worth preordering. We occasionally spend that much or more for a decent dinner out, and I will get at least as many hours of enjoyment out of this Chapter. Probably many more.

That being said... it is undeniably lighter on features than some of the previous Chapters. It's also super weird to criticize people for complaining that a product doesn't have features they want. Of course consumers are going to complain about exactly that.

If I am dress shopping and find something that is a style I like but it only comes in ugly colors and it doesn't have any pockets, then I'm probably not going to buy it. There's also a good chance I'm going to email or tweet the company to say, hey, could you maybe give us pockets next time? More money for you, more dresses for me. Win-win. Mind you, the company doesn't have to listen to my complaints; maybe I'm in the minority and lots of people love burnt orange. That doesn't make me wrong for expressing what I do and do not want in a product.
  • ForzaRammer
    ForzaRammer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Companion does next to no damage while negatively impact performance, i rather have no new features than a nearly useless features making the game run worse
  • Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

It works in FF because of very particular circumstances. It is minuscule in terms of what FFXIV offers the player. A secondary feature.

Now, if a new class, skill line or game system had been scrapped in favor of adding triple triad as a main feature in FF the FF community would look at it very differently.

It's not like ESO deleted content to make room for the card game...oh wait...my individual character data!
    HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Forget fruit, bring on the Redbull.
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Minigame are can fun side content great to pass time

Rp communitly will surely appreciate the addition of a tavern game

Would i have preffered a new class sure
    A skill line ? Depend, still need to find any use to the psijic one

Am i dissapointed? Not at all, in my opinion its even better than last year since we get the same number of companion but have a new activity on top of it
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nope, just the card game. That's it.

"And the companions!"

Oh alright, and the two new companions.

"And the new zones!"

Well of course there's new zones! The new zones go without saying! But other tha-

"And the new trial!"

"And the volcanic vents!"

"And the new mythics and antiquities!"

"And the quickslot system overhaul!"

"And the addition of mundus stones to the armory system!"

"And the main menu music selection!"

Okay, fine! But apart from the card game, the new zones, the new companions, the trial, the volcanic vents, the mythics and antiquities, the quickslot system update, the mundus stones for the armory system, and main menu music selection, what have ZOS ever done for us!?
    I thought the last 3 items were just part of one of the regular game updates, not provided by the DLC?
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also not buying this one, first time since I've joined the game lead by Morrowind nostalgia. Last time I felt I was getting enough for the buck was at Summerset, also smaller dlc's doing great job but actual "expansions" were a joke ever since. Elsweyr was decent but not my cap of tea personally, still worth the effort unlike... This.

Previous ones I've been baited by trials or mythics but sometimes it's time to stop if value goes that way for that long.
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    "Does anything new come with High Isle besides the card game?"

A large amount of costly marketing, seems like every time I hop on discord a new article, interview, stream, etc...for this card game. I don't remember previous updates getting pushed this hard?
  • Thecompton73
    Thecompton73
    ✭✭✭✭✭

"And the companions!"

"And the new zones!"

Well of course there's new zones! The new zones go without saying! But other tha-

"And the new trial!"

A lot what you list are QoL fixes which will be available whether we purchase the Chapter or not. Everyone will have access to the new quickslot system and main menu music choices. When this chapter drops the armory system from last chapter will become available to anyone with ESO+ and will include the mundus upgrade.
    Much of the other stuff is only appealing to certain niches. People that enjoy card games get that. End game PvE players get a trail. Casual players get new choices for companions and a new zone to explore with a few new story missions. People that enjoy world group events get Volcanic vents but those are simply reskinned Geysers and from what I've seen don't have any rewards that make doing them worthwhile once the novelty wears off.
    The only truly universal addition are the sets/mythics, but then every non-chapter DLC update also comes with new additions to those categories. Sure some of these are almost "pay-to-win" powerful but the track record shows such items will get heavily nerfed in the next update.
    For many this will be the second Chapter in a row where it makes sense to just wait for a year to experience the new zone as part of ESO+ because the other additional content isn't worth the price.

Edited by Thecompton73 on June 1, 2022 11:16PM
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Naftal wrote: »

"And the companions!"

"And the new zones!"

"And the new trial!"

The last three things you said are part of the update, not part of the chapter. Volcanic vents are just glorified dolmens. The zone and trial are something every chapter gives. I'd argue that two new useless companions aren't new content. Only new thing we get is the card game that has no connection to the game otherwise.
    Yes, but they ARE something the OP specifically asked for ("revamp of UI elements") while claiming nothing was being done in this regard. I could even have listed updates to skills in there since he also said he wanted that and claimed it wasn't happening.

There is a difference between getting something as part of a value added benefit of paying for the chapter now, vs something that you will get whether you bought the chapter or not.

New trial, new zone, new dolmen like activity has been the trend for all chapters except morrowind. Greymoor added mythics to the mix and each new chapter since has added that. Blackwood added companions to the mix and that will be expected moving forward.

The new feature is the card game. We will see if it draws people in. This is the first player vs player paywall locked content since imperial city and that dlc is now free. We will have to see what the queues look like.
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Naftal wrote: »

"And the companions!"

"And the new zones!"

"And the new trial!"

The last three things you said are part of the update, not part of the chapter. Volcanic vents are just glorified dolmens. The zone and trial are something every chapter gives. I'd argue that two new useless companions aren't new content. Only new thing we get is the card game that has no connection to the game otherwise.

You can say bad stuff about anything. Doesn't make it right.

You can claim Fishing has no connection to the game if you want. Or crafting (since better gear is in dungeons). Or outfitting. Or Dyes. Or non combat pets.

Its your choice to twist things to try and make them look bad.
    IMHO

:#
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We are getting the opportunity to save between 40 and 80 dollars on our annual ESO expenses.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    New housing stuff