The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Really pissed off at the upcoming DK nerfs

• Browiseth
    Browiseth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tannus15 wrote: »
    omg stop blaming the nerf on PvP, it's easily as much for PvE.

DK single target damage is decent, but their cleave damage is nuts which is why they underperform on the dummy parse and are stomping everything in actual content.

Sorcs on the other hand excel at single target and have the worst cleave in the game, which is why they dominate the skelly parse meta and are almost unseen on the leader boards.

DPS rankings for vRG HM

m36ks6ntr01a.png

DPS rankings for Oaxiltso HM, cleave heavy fight

oebyc38upezh.png

Ok, DK damage is really high right now, fair enough! Nerf the damage a little! Why do they gotta gut sustain like that? No one finds fun in constant struggle with resources and running out. That was the main point of my post, that no one minds a reasonable damage nerf if it's necessary, but such a heavy sustain nerf is actually disruptive and unfun to many DKs' playstyle.

@Sleeping_OwI i feel like you're skirting around the point that tannus was making so i'll say it in no uncertain terms

being able to sustain well is a core part of damage dealing in this game. time spent keeping resources up (such as through heavy attacks, investing in regen, so on) is going to lower damage output so by nerfing DK sustain = DK damage goes down
    skingrad when zoscharacters:
    • EP - M - Strikes-with-Arcane - Argonian Stamina Sorc - lvl 50 - The Flawless Conqueror/Spirit Slayer
    • EP - F - Melina Elinia - Dunmer Magicka Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Sinnia Lavellan - Altmer Warden Healer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Follows-the-Arcane - Argonian Healer Sorcerer- lvl 50
    • EP - F - Ashes-of-Arcane - Argonian Magicka Necromancer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Bolgrog the Sinh - Orc Stamina Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Moonlight Maiden - Altmer Magicka Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Maxine Cauline - Breton Magicka Nightblade - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Garrus Loridius - Imperial Stamina Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Jennifer Loridius - Imperial Necromancer tank - lvl 50
    PC/NA but live in EU 150+ ping lyfe
  • kieso
    kieso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully its not to bad of a hit to my DK but this is also why I make one of each class. Having your eggs in more than one basket class wise means these nerfs don't feel as bad.
  • ResidentContrarian
    ResidentContrarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What kills an MMO is when it becomes stagnant. As much as we've all wished for things to happen in a way we want, it's never going to happen. Zos will forever be making adjustments to everything in the game. That's how you keep the game fresh, and people interested.

Just imagine how excited you'll be when they buff the DK again down the road. It will happen at some point. Change is the only constant.

If that were true, they can start by buffing all the useless sets in the game that only manage to be used when they are bugged.

ZOS has shown they collect data on sets, then why not start buffing the ones that are completely inferior to other sets in every way?

Not even hard to PROVE it mathematically with some of these sets. Heck, a lot of 5-pieces will be obsolete because of a one-piece mythic...
  • CharlieFreak
    CharlieFreak
    ✭✭✭
    Surprise! DKs were performing well in pvp recently, so ZOS has decided to hit all DKs with a giant nerf hammer across the board... again... Jeez, when has that ever happened before, only about 20 times or so?

I've always been a main PvE DK for years, I never step foot in pvp unless I need to unlock Caltrops or find skyshards in Cyrodiil. And yet every second patch they butcher my class and nerf it into the ground, why? Because some pvp players make strong builds with DK, so naturally EVERYONE including pvE players should pay for that.

Only for about 6 months DKs were finally in a good spot in pvE with decent damage and sustain, and now we're back to last year and before when DKs had craap sustain, mediocre damage and pathetic self heal.
    But the nerfs that have left me in awe the most are Combustion and Burning Embers.

Templars can literally solo everything with jabs (the single most op ability in the game imo that has never gotten a nerf), sorcerers have the strong crit surge, necros have a dedicated strong healer pet, wardens have so much built-in healing, NBs too have a healing spammable or sth like that iirc... the ONLY passive heal that DKs had was Burning Embers which only in this patch was reliable and useful, and they decided to nerf that by a massive 50%... am I crazy for thinking this is unfair and uncalled for? Every other class has a strong self heal except DK, and they decide to hit the little self-heal DK has? I'm just speechless at how stupid this is.

Combuation gives back 500 resources every 0.5 second after the last DK buff... You might think it's a little too good on paper, but believe me, I main a magDK with dual wield, one fire dagger & one poison dagger, one of them with the newly buffed Charged trait, 3 out of 8 of my main abilities are stam, meaning I trigger the Combustion passive all the time, and I STILL have sustain issues half the times and need extra resources from the healer, and remember this is DK in its prime. Now this is before the upcoming nerf, which turns the Combustion cooldown from 0.5 second to 3 seconds... SIX TIMES worse now. Not two times, not three, not four... SIX times worse. I literally won't be able to sustain anymore and believe me I've already hybridized my entire build and I'm using all the stam morphs and skills than I can, and it still won't be enough. What if I want to change to Inferno back bar like the old times? Too bad, I'm all out of magicka after 2 rotations. Instead of being a nice "option", hybridization is now mandatory it seems, but even that won't be enough for DKs.

Do you ever see them nerf the easy-mode OP since launch classes, sorcerer and templar? Or the precious all-around-strong dlc class Necro? No, it's always the poor *** Dragonknight that's consistently being butchered every year, just because it's good in pvp. Yeah we had a good run for about 6 months (compared to the 6+ years of some other classes...) but now fun time is over, the fun police ZOS has caught up to us with their "balance" changes.

I'm just so tired of my class being nerfed into the ground just because some pvp players make strong builds with it... Why can't they do it in a way that doesn't ruin the class for pvE? Why can't they just separate pvp and pve once and for all and end all this endless nerf buff nerf buff cycle? Sure it would take some work at first but it would avoid so much work and balancing trouble down the road. They're always hurting classes and abilities in pvE just because something is too good in pvP and is being abused by some people.

Sorry for the long rant, thanks for reading.

Yes, changes to a classes performance in PvE, due to PvP concerns, sucks. Obviously DK needs to be toned down in PvP. That's a bummer for PvE DKs.

Curious as to why you're taking a shot at templars, though. I'm doubting you've even played one, as you're calling it 'jabs', which is the stam morph and is certainly not overpowered. Obviously, you're referring to Puncturing Sweep. Templars are certainly the best solo class due to this skill, but overall, templars are not OP in PvE. I've never heard a group/raid complain that 'if only we had more templars, we'd be set!" Even solo, I can replicate the same performance as MagPlar with MagCro, MagSorc, and StamDK.

Regardless, you made many valid and thoughtful points. Thanks for your ideas. I also wish there was a way they could separate PvP balancing from PvE.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Headline: PVEer blames PVP for nerfs to DK, his favorite class.

Me looking at current PVE leaderboards where they apparently do "Decent" damage:

DK
    DK
    DK
    DK
    DK
    DK
    DK
    DK
    DK
    One really good Necro
    DK
    DK
    DK
    DK
    DK
    DK
    DK
    DK
    DK
    DK
    DK
    DK
    DK
    DK
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on May 24, 2022 8:11PM
  • Emmagoldman
    Emmagoldman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surprise! DKs were performing well in pvp recently, so ZOS has decided to hit all DKs with a giant nerf hammer across the board... again... Jeez, when has that ever happened before, only about 20 times or so?

I've always been a main PvE DK for years, I never step foot in pvp unless I need to unlock Caltrops or find skyshards in Cyrodiil. And yet every second patch they butcher my class and nerf it into the ground, why? Because some pvp players make strong builds with DK, so naturally EVERYONE including pvE players should pay for that.

Only for about 6 months DKs were finally in a good spot in pvE with decent damage and sustain, and now we're back to last year and before when DKs had craap sustain, mediocre damage and pathetic self heal.
    But the nerfs that have left me in awe the most are Combustion and Burning Embers.

Templars can literally solo everything with jabs (the single most op ability in the game imo that has never gotten a nerf), sorcerers have the strong crit surge, necros have a dedicated strong healer pet, wardens have so much built-in healing, NBs too have a healing spammable or sth like that iirc... the ONLY passive heal that DKs had was Burning Embers which only in this patch was reliable and useful, and they decided to nerf that by a massive 50%... am I crazy for thinking this is unfair and uncalled for? Every other class has a strong self heal except DK, and they decide to hit the little self-heal DK has? I'm just speechless at how stupid this is.

Combuation gives back 500 resources every 0.5 second after the last DK buff... You might think it's a little too good on paper, but believe me, I main a magDK with dual wield, one fire dagger & one poison dagger, one of them with the newly buffed Charged trait, 3 out of 8 of my main abilities are stam, meaning I trigger the Combustion passive all the time, and I STILL have sustain issues half the times and need extra resources from the healer, and remember this is DK in its prime. Now this is before the upcoming nerf, which turns the Combustion cooldown from 0.5 second to 3 seconds... SIX TIMES worse now. Not two times, not three, not four... SIX times worse. I literally won't be able to sustain anymore and believe me I've already hybridized my entire build and I'm using all the stam morphs and skills than I can, and it still won't be enough. What if I want to change to Inferno back bar like the old times? Too bad, I'm all out of magicka after 2 rotations. Instead of being a nice "option", hybridization is now mandatory it seems, but even that won't be enough for DKs.

Do you ever see them nerf the easy-mode OP since launch classes, sorcerer and templar? Or the precious all-around-strong dlc class Necro? No, it's always the poor *** Dragonknight that's consistently being butchered every year, just because it's good in pvp. Yeah we had a good run for about 6 months (compared to the 6+ years of some other classes...) but now fun time is over, the fun police ZOS has caught up to us with their "balance" changes.

I'm just so tired of my class being nerfed into the ground just because some pvp players make strong builds with it... Why can't they do it in a way that doesn't ruin the class for pvE? Why can't they just separate pvp and pve once and for all and end all this endless nerf buff nerf buff cycle? Sure it would take some work at first but it would avoid so much work and balancing trouble down the road. They're always hurting classes and abilities in pvE just because something is too good in pvP and is being abused by some people.

Sorry for the long rant, thanks for reading.

I don't know why your mad at any player, it's almost like ZoS has had over 8 years to find balance......
  • Mr_Stach
    Mr_Stach
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Me looking at current PVE leaderboards where they apparently do "Decent" damage:

DK
    DK
    DK
    DK
    DK
    DK
    DK
    DK
    DK
    One really good Necro
    DK
    DK
    DK
    DK
    DK
    DK
    DK
    DK
    DK
    DK
    DK
    DK
    DK
    DK

fhfhan5hv253.png
    Altoholic, Frost Warden Sympathizer and Main

Glacial Guardian - Main - Frost Warden Zealot
    The Frost Man Cometh - PC Frost Backup
  • Xarc
    Xarc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ^
    awesome.
    @xarcs FR-EU-PC -
    "La mort, c'est surfait.", Xarc
    Xãrc -- breton necro - DC - AvA rank50
    Xarcus -- imperial DK - DC - AvA rank50
    Elnaa - breton NB - DC - AvA rank50
    Xärc -- breton NB - DC - AvA rank47
    Isilenil - Altmer NB - AD - AvA rank41
    Felisja - Bosmer NB - DC - AvA rank39
    Xàrc - breton necro - DC - AvA rank27
    Xalisja - bosmer necro - DC - AvA rank16
    kàli - redguard templar - DC - AvA rank32
    - since april.2014
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr_Stach wrote: »

DK
    DK
    DK
    DK
    DK
    DK
    DK
    DK
    DK
    One really good Necro
    DK
    DK
    DK
    DK
    DK
    DK
    DK
    DK
    DK
    DK
    DK
    DK
    DK
    DK

fhfhan5hv253.png

Okay, 2 really good necros. ;)

And to be fair, these nerfs may be heavy handed, but that is ZOS since forever. To the OP, what you call decent damage and sustain, is really extraordinary damage and sustain.

DK sustain is so good on live that if you run Bahsei, you disable your Battle Roar passive to keep your mag low. If you are struggling to sustain a DK in PVE on live, there is a massive flaw in your build.

There hasn't been a DPS leaderboard this homogeneous since like 1.6, ironically all DKs as well. Acting like Templar and Sorc have been OP since launch makes it very hard to listen to rational arguments, because its a statement that boarders on the absurd. Both classes may have a lower skill barrier to entry to some others, but that doesnt make them OP. All classes have had their time in the sun, DK has been there longer than most if looking at the entire history of ESO.

Truthfully, if your goal is to be in the 110k+ club, DK is the easiest IMO. I could make a compelling argument for Stamplar, as its mostly a jabs spam, but I think maintaining and weaving Jabs on the GCD is actually harder than a DK rotation, which is essentially a very basic DOT build. Sorc is certainly harder with dealing with weaving hard cast frags. Necro and Warden are harder with the 3 second nature of their rotations. NB is much harder with how merciless operates (with way less damage).
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on May 24, 2022 9:45PM
  • Mr_Stach
    Mr_Stach
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I just wanted people to be aware that you weren't exaggerating lol

• Tannus15
    Tannus15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    omg stop blaming the nerf on PvP, it's easily as much for PvE.

DK single target damage is decent, but their cleave damage is nuts which is why they underperform on the dummy parse and are stomping everything in actual content.

Sorcs on the other hand excel at single target and have the worst cleave in the game, which is why they dominate the skelly parse meta and are almost unseen on the leader boards.

DPS rankings for vRG HM

m36ks6ntr01a.png

DPS rankings for Oaxiltso HM, cleave heavy fight

oebyc38upezh.png

Ok, DK damage is really high right now, fair enough! Nerf the damage a little! Why do they gotta gut sustain like that? No one finds fun in constant struggle with resources and running out. That was the main point of my post, that no one minds a reasonable damage nerf if it's necessary, but such a heavy sustain nerf is actually disruptive and unfun to many DKs' playstyle.

swap 1 or 2 weapon damage jewel enchants for magicka regen.

There, I did it. I changed it from a sustain nerf to a damage nerf. No one will do this however. Most likely they will run Spell Symmetry.
  • runa_gate
    runa_gate
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think what gets lost in this conversation is that for people who don't play on all classes in all content all of the time, it's not obvious that certain builds are generally what's making certain classes problematic.

DK leap into 15k whip? Obviously, not for all DKs, just certain builds. No skill, just an OP synergy of set and skills.

Died to a NB anytime recently? Almost certainly saw caluurion's in the death recap. It's so OP that I can't bring myself to use it in PvE, let alone PvP.

Certain Sorc builds with Overload are a problem for classes without a reflect. Next patch it will by crystal weapon everyone is complaining about.

Wardens will continue to roll around LOS forever and waste everyone's time, killing through boredom

To be fair to DKs, I did see an EP raid group of 10 DKs who let two templars play with them
  • Castagere
    Castagere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Browiseth wrote: »
    the funny thing is that pvp and pve are already balanced differently so why don't zos just bite the bullet and double down on applying different attributes for skills or gear in pvp zones

seriously its like we all forget battle spirit exists

That's what I've been thinking. You get different buffs and debuffs as soon as you go into Cyrodiil. Why can't the same thing apply to some abilities and passives? I guess that would be too much work for them, just nerfing something into the ground without any regards to how it will affect pvE is much easier.

This 100%
    It's like they are afraid of taking the next step.
  • axi
    axi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arthtur wrote: »
    axi wrote: »
    Arthtur wrote: »
    Well as i said on PTS, my setup with "good" sustain on stamDK on live is "barerly enough" to sustain after those nerfs. "barerly" after throwing out Major Resolve and Burning Embers..
    And 1 thing. Its worse than before DK Love patch. Even with buffed charged. The only reason MagDK is able to barerly sustain is because of hybrisation while StamDK cant rly sustain whip without investing rly heavy into it.

I said all those things already and im kinda too tired to say them again. Everyone can go on PTS and see how this looked. Ppl saying that this passive needs 10s CD, thats DK hits too hard to have good sustain (even tho ppl didnt had problems with damage nerfs at all. They just didint want terrible sustain again) and "its 4k every 2s!" without any proof (on my parses i got max 901 per s. And it hurt more than helped with sustain. i could compare this to "Nerf Streak" or "Nerf Cloak" threads. Only diffrence is that ZOS listened to it.

Anyway, its not first time. Stay safe and dont give up.

Ahhh and also. They said They would buff weaker skills. I didnt saw any "good" buffs to NB/Warden. So yeah. Nice "buffs" for weaker skills.

901k per s is the equivalent of 1800 regen. for a passive skill. it was beyond over performing, the hardest thing about playing DK in PVE was keeping your mag low enough for bahsei to be worth it.
    DK is designed to burn their resources and then refill them with their ult. That's why the dev note says they intended to have periods of huge, expensive damage.
    That's why their weapon damage buff also gives 40% increase do heavy attack damage.
    That's why the current dps meta is basically as many DK's as you can bring. They are hitting insanely hard all the time and getting all the sustain they need from a passive.

It's arguable that the nerf is too heavy handed at 3s but 0.5s is way too often.

Only IF you build around that passive and Charged trait, not for most players. For example my off-hand dagger is charged, and looking at my parse video, the times when I switch between bars I reapply burning/poison every 4/5 secs, and when I'm on my front bar I apply them about every 2 seconds on average. So for most players, it was never THAT strong to begin with. They should've nerfed Charged imo, not Combustion, or at least make the nerf more reasonable, like 1 or 2 seconds cooldown, not a whopping 3 seconds, that's just simply too much.

What do You mean by "only IF"? It's a part of meta right now on every parse DD in PvE to run with dual wield and to have one weapon with charged trait. You dont build around that passive this way You are just simply having charged trait like everyone else and as a DK You benefit from it more than others. Fact that for many people "it was never THAT strong" really doesn't matter because developer is making balance decision based on what seems to be overperforming not based on what most of casual players is running with. I agree though that they could reconsider execution of this nerf since overbuffed charged trait played big part in combustion overperforming.

I just wanna say something about this "It's a part of meta right now on every parse DD in PvE to run with dual wield and to have one weapon with charged trait." as this is part of the problem too. DK always had to "invest" into sustain by using charged weapon. When charged was weaker it was okay as they were "losing" something for that. Now charged is meta on every class making its no longer an investment for DK to run it. This should be looked at too before nerfing this passive into the ground as without charged its rly weak(for comparison, without charged u wont get even half of the numbers that ppl get). So if in future charged would be nerfed... well i guess everyone can imagine what it would mean for DKs.

Sorry @Arthtur but that is a false. Up untill charged trait buff DKs were not running with it as it was simply a DPS loss. It was more beneficial to simply run with destro staff than with dual wield where one of the weapons had charged trait. Charged became part of meta for DK and everyone else when it was buffed.
  • McTaterskins
    McTaterskins
    ✭✭✭✭
    2 of the guilds i'm in work on PvE progression on the regular.

As soon as they bring up something vet or sweaty to do, they want majority DK's for DD.

Do the math. It's not just PvP that they're out of balance in.

Look at logs and leaderboards.

CP has been an admittedly recurring problem with power creep. - Has nothing to do with PvP. It has to do with people blowing through content.

Mist form wasn't nerfed because of PvP. It was nerfed because people were using it to cheese a main encounter in a trial. Trials are not PvP zones.

Please - Stop blaming PvP because you're about to have to migrate to the next easymode meta or learn how to deal with pve mechanics and encounters.

It's getting pretty tiresome to deal with toxicity over people not getting their easy button fix.
    Edited by McTaterskins on May 25, 2022 6:34PM
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    JanTanhide wrote: »
    I agree. This is what happens when the PVP crowd controls the narrative on this Forum. PVE players are tossed out the window for PVP adjustments over and over. It's why, I.M.O. many players have left ESO over the years. They got tired of the constant nerf hammers in the name of "Balance" for PVP.

It's why I left this game for over six months. I was sick of all the nerfs to our gear sets, our skills, our racial passives and CP over and over almost always due to PVPers complaining about "Balance". And look, we are once again getting ANOTHER nerf to CP with High Isle. What's the point of 3600 Champion Points if the system is nerfed into the ground?

ZOS is so predictable now that we KNOW they are going to nerf new gear soon after launch that it's predicted in the Forum which gear will get nerfed and why. It's almost always for PVP Balance. Look at the Oakensoul ring. Nerfed before launch.

I think a lot of PVE DK DPS players are going to park their DK's and either quit or hop on another class and learn how to DPS with it. At least until the new character they created is also nerfed.

Hate to burst your bubble but just as many aspects of the game have been nerfed to balance PvE as they have to balance PvP. Easy example: you mention the upcoming CP nerfs as if they're a response to PvP concerns, which is totally false. Those CP nodes can be used equally by every class and as such everyone is on a even playing field when it comes to using them in PvP. However damage numbers for PvE encounters keep creeping higher and higher making content trivial when it is supposed to be difficult and THAT is why those nodes are being nerfed. Blame groups burning Vet DLC HM bosses so fast they can ignore the mechanics of fights if you wan to pin blame on someone for CP damage nerfs.
    DK isn't OP in PvP because it's using the same CP nodes as my Magsorc. It's OP because it's got more survival tools and sustain built into the class while wearing full damage sets/glyphs/traits/mundus than Magsorc does even when I dedicate a significant amount of those spots to building up my resistances and stat recoveries. And if you look at the PvE leaderboards the advantage carries over to that aspect of the game as well. DK's building for full damage and still having more sustain from a passive than other classes get when they include sustain enchants, food, sets or mundus stones in their builds makes them irrefutably superior to other classes.

To be fair to the example you gave regarding PVE. ZOS plans and programs those encounters they design them. They have options available to punish players for overburning a boss during an encounter that do not involve nerfing player builds. Everything from boss heals, mini bosses, one shot kills, enraged, and a slew of other mechanics. It's a bit hard to blame the players when ZOS's solution to difficultly is simply to add more health and not more complex mechanics.

PVP on the other hand is player driven, players create the encounters. Granted zos designs those too but the player has to go up against someone that could be running an unknown build. No two pvp encounters are exactly the same.

Bit of a difference. And yes both communities blame each for nerfs... but really it's ZOS that does it.
  • McTaterskins
    McTaterskins
    ✭✭✭✭
    wolfie1.0. wrote: »

yes both communities blame each for nerfs... but really it's ZOS that does it.

Fair.
  • Mr_Stach
    Mr_Stach
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    yxqbm2b1bxx7.png

• Thecompton73
    Thecompton73
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree. This is what happens when the PVP crowd controls the narrative on this Forum. PVE players are tossed out the window for PVP adjustments over and over. It's why, I.M.O. many players have left ESO over the years. They got tired of the constant nerf hammers in the name of "Balance" for PVP.

It's why I left this game for over six months. I was sick of all the nerfs to our gear sets, our skills, our racial passives and CP over and over almost always due to PVPers complaining about "Balance". And look, we are once again getting ANOTHER nerf to CP with High Isle. What's the point of 3600 Champion Points if the system is nerfed into the ground?

ZOS is so predictable now that we KNOW they are going to nerf new gear soon after launch that it's predicted in the Forum which gear will get nerfed and why. It's almost always for PVP Balance. Look at the Oakensoul ring. Nerfed before launch.

I think a lot of PVE DK DPS players are going to park their DK's and either quit or hop on another class and learn how to DPS with it. At least until the new character they created is also nerfed.

Hate to burst your bubble but just as many aspects of the game have been nerfed to balance PvE as they have to balance PvP. Easy example: you mention the upcoming CP nerfs as if they're a response to PvP concerns, which is totally false. Those CP nodes can be used equally by every class and as such everyone is on a even playing field when it comes to using them in PvP. However damage numbers for PvE encounters keep creeping higher and higher making content trivial when it is supposed to be difficult and THAT is why those nodes are being nerfed. Blame groups burning Vet DLC HM bosses so fast they can ignore the mechanics of fights if you wan to pin blame on someone for CP damage nerfs.
    DK isn't OP in PvP because it's using the same CP nodes as my Magsorc. It's OP because it's got more survival tools and sustain built into the class while wearing full damage sets/glyphs/traits/mundus than Magsorc does even when I dedicate a significant amount of those spots to building up my resistances and stat recoveries. And if you look at the PvE leaderboards the advantage carries over to that aspect of the game as well. DK's building for full damage and still having more sustain from a passive than other classes get when they include sustain enchants, food, sets or mundus stones in their builds makes them irrefutably superior to other classes.

To be fair to the example you gave regarding PVE. ZOS plans and programs those encounters they design them. They have options available to punish players for overburning a boss during an encounter that do not involve nerfing player builds. Everything from boss heals, mini bosses, one shot kills, enraged, and a slew of other mechanics. It's a bit hard to blame the players when ZOS's solution to difficultly is simply to add more health and not more complex mechanics.

PVP on the other hand is player driven, players create the encounters. Granted zos designs those too but the player has to go up against someone that could be running an unknown build. No two pvp encounters are exactly the same.

Bit of a difference. And yes both communities blame each for nerfs... but really it's ZOS that does it.

ZOS doesn't usually just arbitrarily decide (cough cough Arctic Blast) to nerf something though. Nerfs come about as a result of the Devs deciding something is over performing. The question is what factors are leading them to that decision? In the mind of PvE players the answer is always complaints from PvP players in the forums. I see this in every thread discussing any nerf that happens. And most of the time they are just flat out wrong in doing so because, as PvE players love to point out, the vast majority of players in game are doing PvE activities and as such that aspect of the game receives much more scrutiny from the Devs. Whenever there is something that works too well in PvE encounters (especially high end content) the Devs WILL take notice and do something to bring it back in line.
    You're certainly correct in pointing out they could go about doing so in ways that are less disruptive to the builds players are using. I still lament the loss of my high health recovery mist form tank which was equally fun and effective to play with in PvP or in a Vet DLC dungeon.
  • Mr_Stach
    Mr_Stach
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

ZOS doesn't usually just arbitrarily decide (cough cough Arctic Blast) to nerf something though. Nerfs come about as a result of the Devs deciding something is over performing. The question is what factors are leading them to that decision? In the mind of PvE players the answer is always complaints from PvP players in the forums. I see this in every thread discussing any nerf that happens. And most of the time they are just flat out wrong in doing so because, as PvE players love to point out, the vast majority of players in game are doing PvE activities and as such that aspect of the game receives much more scrutiny from the Devs. Whenever there is something that works too well in PvE encounters (especially high end content) the Devs WILL take notice and do something to bring it back in line.
    You're certainly correct in pointing out they could go about doing so in ways that are less disruptive to the builds players are using. I still lament the loss of my high health recovery mist form tank which was equally fun and effective to play with in PvP or in a Vet DLC dungeon.

There is nothing that anyone can say that will validate a 5s Build up for a Stun. Sorry. It's trash. Might as well use Freeze Time, it's faster.

• Tannus15
    Tannus15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

It's usually pretty easy to spot the difference between a PvE nerf and a PvP nerf.

Crowd control is almost never used in PvE. Arctic Blast? what's that. Never used in PvE for anything. This is a PvP nerf.

Sustain nerf? Almost always a PvE nerf. PvE end game is all about constant, sustained damage over a 10+ minute encounter. PvP you can disengage, use line of sight and use various techniques to regain resources.
    Only very specific skills and sets are used in endgame PvE.
  • Ondolemir
    Ondolemir
    ✭✭✭
    a
    Edited by Ondolemir on May 10, 2023 10:28PM
  • Thecompton73
    Thecompton73
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There is nothing that anyone can say that will validate a 5s Build up for a Stun. Sorry. It's trash. Might as well use Freeze Time, it's faster.

ar·bi·trar·y
    /ˈärbəˌtrerē/
    adjective
    adjective: arbitrary
    based on random choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system.

exactly, despite my point that most changes do have a reason I used Arctic Blast as an example to acknowledge that sometimes they just make a change to something that has no reasonable explanation.
    Edited by Thecompton73 on May 26, 2022 9:00PM
  • Mr_Stach
    Mr_Stach
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

ar·bi·trar·y
    /ˈärbəˌtrerē/
    adjective

exactly my point, most changes do have a reason but sometimes they just make a change to something that has no reasonable explanation.

The best part is their Comment:
    Right now, this ability is offering too much offensive nature for the Warden, allowing them to line up their burst perfectly with Scorch to remove counter play. By increasing the stack count required, there should be less of a guarantee with this combination and require more reactive play from the caster, while the increased duration of tracking helps also reduce the ease of counter play by backing off for 1 second from the Warden to completely avoid the stun.

So They think it's fine that you can just back up, completely avoid the stun and waste one of Warden's ONLY Stuns, while Templar, Sorc, and DK just have nice Instant Cast On-Demand Stuns, but man that Dang Warden trying to have a Mediocre Stun AND do Damage?

Rant over. Point is, Stop making Warden Jump Through Hoops to be Mediocre at Best.

Thank You for attending my Ted Talk

• Thecompton73
    Thecompton73
    ✭✭✭✭✭

ar·bi·trar·y
    /ˈärbəˌtrerē/
    adjective

exactly my point, most changes do have a reason but sometimes they just make a change to something that has no reasonable explanation.

Right now, this ability is offering too much offensive nature for the Warden, allowing them to line up their burst perfectly with Scorch to remove counter play. By increasing the stack count required, there should be less of a guarantee with this combination and require more reactive play from the caster, while the increased duration of tracking helps also reduce the ease of counter play by backing off for 1 second from the Warden to completely avoid the stun.

So They think it's fine that you can just back up, completely avoid the stun and waste one of Warden's ONLY Stuns, while Templar, Sorc, and DK just have nice Instant Cast On-Demand Stuns, but man that Dang Warden trying to have a Mediocre Stun AND do Damage?

Rant over. Point is, Stop making Warden Jump Through Hoops to be Mediocre at Best.

While I still believe the change to Arctic Wind is uncalled for I gotta point out you're misreading the part about "backing off". They actually increased the length of time the stacks stay on the opponent so if they dip out for a second then come back in range they don't reset the stacks back to zero. Doesn't mean it's a good change but give them credit for seeing that aspect the way you do.
    Edited by Thecompton73 on May 26, 2022 10:01PM
  • Mr_Stach
    Mr_Stach
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

ar·bi·trar·y
    /ˈärbəˌtrerē/
    adjective

While I still believe the change to Arctic Wind is uncalled for I gotta point out you're misreading the part about "backing off". They actually increased the length of time the stacks stay on the opponent so if they dip out for a second then come back in range they don't reset the stacks back to zero. Doesn't mean it's a good change but give them credit for seeing that aspect the way you do.

That's a good point, the only issue Arctic Blast is still only a 5 Second Skill, if they step out, you need to recast. There is no reason in running a skill that you need to burn 8k resources for a Stun. If they made it a 5 Second Stun with a 10s Duration on AB, that would be a different story. There's just better Stuns, Better AoEs and Better Heals.

• Thecompton73
    Thecompton73
    ✭✭✭✭✭

ar·bi·trar·y
    /ˈärbəˌtrerē/
    adjective

That's a good point, the only issue Arctic Blast is still only a 5 Second Skill, if they step out, you need to recast. There is no reason in running a skill that you need to burn 8k resources for a Stun. If they made it a 5 Second Stun with a 10s Duration on AB, that would be a different story. There's just better Stuns, Better AoEs and Better Heals.

Back at ya with the good point. The stacks lasting longer improvement is completely negated if you need every tick of the abililty to land to get the stun. The ability should also be extended to at least 8 seconds overall for that to have meaning.
  • Mr_Stach
    Mr_Stach
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    2txh56kfhp56.jpg

• Ragnaroek93
    Ragnaroek93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Saying that Dks were performing well in PvP is a big understatement. The class has the highest dmg output, the highest amount of uncounterable damage and also very high burst, which is much harder to avoid than Nb or sorc burst (who have much less dps and almost no uncounterable damage). And stop acting like Dk is balanced in PvE, it's probably the main reason why the class gets nerfed. PvP balance has been ignored since years and they balance the classes around dummy parsing...

Trying to make every class being equally good in every role is what really ruined this game. Before the standarization patches most classes had at least a niche in which they dominated. Now you have like 1-2 classes (has been stamden and stamcro for a year now it's mdk and mplar) who dominate the other classes in pretty much EVERY niche in the game.

People constantly look at the pros of other classes and want them for their own class while not wanting the cons. I'm actually surprised that they nerfed mDk after all instead of giving them an execute.
    I used to think that PvP was a tragedy, but now I realize, it's a comedy.
  • Ondolemir
    Ondolemir
    ✭✭✭
    If you take a zoom out and look at all the classes, the DK is overturned. Take any amount of time to visit any pvper who regularly pvps or is updated on the current patch and they will tell you the same. DK is the easiest class to pick up next to Templar because they're the two classes that have for the history of the game been the most overturned.

The real question we should be asking is why the PVP team is always overturning these two classes historically.