Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What does 'megaservers login' maintenance mean?

AcadianPaladin
AcadianPaladin
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
The maintenance banner currently advertises NA and EU 'megaservers login' maintenance on May 18. Does that mean the game is not available to play during that period?
Edited by ZOS_Bill on May 30, 2022 11:00PM
PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • DragonRacer
    DragonRacer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Good question. And it doesn't specify platform, so I assume it means all servers across all platforms?
    PS5 NA. GM of The PTK's - a free trading guild (CP 500+). Also a werewolf, bites are free when they're available. PSN = DragonRacer13
  • essi2
    essi2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Presumably(if it isn't a typo) it means maintenance on the Authentication/Login server.
    "The Heritance are racists yes? Idiots. But dangerous, destabilizing racist idiots." - Razum-dar

"Wood Elves aren't made of wood, Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves" - M'aiq the Liar

** Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-EU) - Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-NA) **

*** https://www.youtube.com/@essi2 - https://www.twitch.tv/essi2 ***
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    essi2 wrote: »
    Presumably(if it isn't a typo) it means maintenance on the Authentication/Login server.

That's what I would assume, which would mean service isn't interrupted but you cannot log in if you are logged out during that period, which would suck if you happened to crash during that time.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to see I'm not the only one unsure what to expect as far as ability to play. Can we get some clarification please? @ZOS_Kevin

Edit/Update: Gina gave us a response Monday down in post #26 below - Thank you, Gina!
    Edited by AcadianPaladin on May 16, 2022 5:52PM
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • proprio.meb16_ESO
    proprio.meb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edit: nevermind, my bad, thought op was referring to store and account system maintenance
    Edited by proprio.meb16_ESO on May 14, 2022 5:28PM
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was wondering the same thing.

And wondering why there is no explanation already as it isn't the usual drill.
    PS5/NA
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is different. I guess better remember to login in early if I want to play
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always assume that "maintenance" means the servers will be down, so edpect to play before 4 AM EDT or after 12 noon EDT, but not during maintenance. Store maintenance is different, of course, but regarding the OP's question I'd assume the worst and be tickled pink if it isn't the worst.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully, they know what it means. :smile:
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I would hope that once in, you could stay in. But i also wonder if the work being done would mess up character saves, as i am sure the mechanism to keep those straight is tied to the log in system
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Has this particular phrasing been used before for a maintenance announcement? A thread in the Maintenance section would be nice, to give us some idea of what to expect, i.e. are we prevented from logging in during this period, and should we have to logout before it starts.
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vsrs_au wrote: »
    Has this particular phrasing been used before for a maintenance announcement? A thread in the Maintenance section would be nice, to give us some idea of what to expect, i.e. are we prevented from logging in during this period, and should we have to logout before it starts.

My expectation is that they are doing maintenance on the account and login system. I figure that the person writing the banner does not know precisely what the maintenance is going to be, and the message will get fixed once that is sorted.

As I recall, last time they did maintenance like this, if it is the same thing, if you were logged in before the maintenance, you were fine. You would be unable to log in during the maintenance, if you were not already logged in, or logged out during maintenance, but the game would be up and running, otherwise. Can't remember how that impacted swapping characters.
    Edited by Elsonso on May 15, 2022 3:03AM
  • Austacker
    Austacker
    ✭✭✭✭
    The maintenance banner currently advertises NA and EU 'megaservers login' maintenance on May 18. Does that mean the game is not available to play during that period?

I'm in Australia.

It means 'go and have your dinner' because the Devs in this game put their server downtime right in Australian prime time every week (ie 8pm Sydney Australia time)

gg
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Austacker wrote: »

I'm in Australia.

It means 'go and have your dinner' because the Devs in this game put their server downtime right in Australian prime time every week (ie 8pm Sydney Australia time)

gg
    I can relate :( I'm in Melbourne. It is a global game, though, they're always going to inconvenience someone, I guess.
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • Ilumia
    Ilumia
    ✭✭✭✭
    It would be great if we could get info on how it affects relogging to another character, is that possible during the maintenance if we're already logged in?

Does anyone know for sure?

@ZOS_Kevin or other mod, can you please clarify :)
  • ghost_bg_ESO
    ghost_bg_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    For me in EU basically means "don't hope to play between 10am CEST to 18pm CEST" and even a bit later as servers will be clogged. (considering how changing zones and switching characters "works" when login' servers have problems.)

Good thing it is at Thursday and mod can actually put some proper insight on what will be, before that day.
  • honglatongla
    honglatongla
    ✭✭✭
    So, uhm, anything?
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, uhm, anything?

I am hoping for an update before the end of the day. We'll see, though.

See also: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/593931/a-letter-to-zos-please-improve-your-communication
  • Waterdesk
    Waterdesk
    I hope it means that they are going to do some fixes for connecting to the game. I haven't been able to login to the Xbox NA or EU megaserver since May 11/12. I'm hoping that their support received enough tickets on this issue, and noticed that there is a login error that is affecting some players.
  • Tamrik
    Tamrik
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad someone has asked this as i was about to create a post

Lets hope we get an official response
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I'm in Australia.

gg
    I can relate :( I'm in Melbourne. It is a global game, though, they're always going to inconvenience someone, I guess.

The thing is, it would seem that is always the same players that have to be inconvenienced.

I am on BST so for me is not terrible but not great either however the further east you are the more inconvenient it is.

Maybe they could perform maintenance on the megaservers at different times to suit the different 'populations'?

EDIT: Changed the wording because it could have been misconstrued as 'baiting'.
    Edited by ApoAlaia on May 16, 2022 1:18PM
  • heinousmoz
    heinousmoz
    ✭✭✭
    The irony of ending the login maintenance at 17.00 GMT right when EU hits prime time & therefore likely to crash the login server when they bring it back up isn't lost on me...
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

I would hope that once in, you could stay in. But i also wonder if the work being done would mess up character saves, as i am sure the mechanism to keep those straight is tied to the log in system

I'm not worried about that. Because this sort of thing has happened a number of times in the past. Well, okay, not planned. But there have been times when the login server had died and/or needed to be taken down for emergency maintenance, while the actual game servers remained up.

It just meant that if you log to password input, you can't log back in. But things otherwise worked fine for people who remained logged in.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I tried to look it up and they sent me here. I hope someone answers so I know to plan for downtime.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Hi everyone! Great question. We're doing maintenance on all Live megaservers that will affect your ability to log into the game. If you are already logged in before maintenance begins, you can continue playing and won't be kicked out. However, you will not be able to log into any megaserver while we are under maintenance. We will certainly try to wrap up maintenance as quickly as we can.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone! Great question. We're doing maintenance on all Live megaservers that will affect your ability to log into the game. If you are already logged in before maintenance begins, you can continue playing and won't be kicked out. However, you will not be able to log into any megaserver while we are under maintenance. We will certainly try to wrap up maintenance as quickly as we can.

Thanks for the update!
  • davidtk
    davidtk
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have stupid question. Login server handle only log in to megaserver for character select screen or have to do with character loadings? Can I safely relog to other chars?
    Really sorry for my english
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    davidtk wrote: »
    I have stupid question. Login server handle only log in to megaserver for character select screen or have to do with character loadings? Can I safely relog to other chars?

In the past when the login server has gone down, it affected only the password login screen. Character select was never affected.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • davidtk
    davidtk
    ✭✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »

In the past when the login server has gone down, it affected only the password login screen. Character select was never affected.

Thank you very much :)
    Really sorry for my english
  • SainguinKrist
    SainguinKrist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ApoAlaia wrote: »

I'm in Australia.

gg

The thing is, it would seem that is always the same players that have to be inconvenienced.

I am on BST so for me is not terrible but not great either however the further east you are the more inconvenient it is.

Maybe they could perform maintenance on the megaservers at different times to suit the different 'populations'?

EDIT: Changed the wording because it could have been misconstrued as 'baiting'.

Because ZOS is a US based company. Not to mention having a standard maintenance time is good business practice. Nobody wants to guess every week when maintenance will be.

[snip]
    [edited for mild baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on May 17, 2022 10:06AM
    I have characters that have classes.

I'm not sure what their names are.

Leader of Casual Filth, a proudly LGBT+ led and friendly social guild.
This discussion has been closed.