Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Update 33 PC Launch Postmortem

• RisenEclipse
    RisenEclipse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is awesome! Thank you so much for reaching out to us all and explaining the issue. When a catastrophes happens, and ZOS is silent, we are forced to come up with our own reasons for why things happen, and most of the time those ideas are not flattering at all for ZOS. This was huge of you guys to do, and it makes me relieved that there is still some forms of transparency happening. Mistakes and things blowing up happen. We all get that, and should have a level of understanding towards it. But when there is silence on the hows and whys we literally just shoot in the dark for an answer. Which can cause more upset people then necessary, when we collectively decide on the worst possible theories. You guys are great! I get what happened and am happy you all solved the problem and we can all get back to having fun in ESO again :P
  • FineFeathered
    FineFeathered
    ✭✭✭
    I, also, appreciate the detailed explanation. Not hearing the word "sorry" here was still far more satisfying than when I do hear the "sorry" from insincere "leaders' who are only sorry because you took it wrong, not for what they did. This felt far more solid.

I appreciate how many people appreciate solid communication. That* is why I am still here, and not playing another game. That other game has (had?) better combat, but the devs did not know the players were alive, and they were literally snarky, at the best of times, to us. I got so angry at login that I couldn't enjoy that game any more.

I know there are still problems, and so long as we have communication like this about them, and they are not forgotten, I will be content. I used to work in banking. Remember the Merger mania of the 1980s and 1990s? Imagine working in the trading section of a big bank that bought another big bank, and they try to merge computer systems. One day, just like this...goes haywire and we had to hire a roomful of CPAs to work for a year to try to figure out where about ..well, about half a billion dollars went. I don't think they'll ever know. It was a nightmare. Compared to what can happen in the real world, and what THAT can cost, this was almost childs play and I wish people would keep that in perspective. Yes, many of us sub, and pay for the game. But we don't pay millions. Or even hundreds of thousands. Imagine that shakup. But with good communication and prompt action, even that bank did not lose huge customers.

I just added that for perspective. Anything can and will happen with computers when you start doing things. They did. It was found and fixed. Now back to our regularly scheduled problems (Please, Zos, dont' forget about them, okay?) At least nobody is having heart attacks over the however-many $million we cannot find. That was fun times.

And no, I will not name any of the institutions. But I'll bet there are stories like this all throughout the financial world from then. You just don't know about it. It's a lot like not really wanting to know how they make your sausage.

It would be great if groupfinder would just work reliably. Always. Forever.

Oh, and I have one of those beta accounts. The base game code I play on is the same code I played on for beta, patched and updated. In case people are curious. I did create new characters from scratch on launch, but I'm still using the same account name. So that's why you don't file them away. Some of us are still using the same accounts. Launch for us was just a patch.

• Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now, this is the kind of communication with the player base, I really like and appreciate. In my mind one gets a lot more understanding for appearing problems and what the process of solving them is like, if it is presented like this. It might be more effort to do that once in a while, but I think that ZOS in a whole gets a lot more respect and appreciation by doing it.

It shows the human side of the problem solving process - and suddenly ZOS is not just a company name, but a group of passionate people, who care for making the game a better experience for everyone - I believe you are doing that on a daily basis, but it is often not communicated well enough to the player base and this creates unnecessary frustration sometimes - so thank you for communicating and addressing these issues.
    Edited by Lysette on March 28, 2022 8:49AM
  • NanoTechnicianHQ
    Good to see that this is being looked at and fixed, I mean I was thinking it might of been Molag Bal getting angry as no ones really paid much attention of late and we know grand schemes are MB's theme.
    My Twitch settings and ESO addons list: https://nanohq.wordpress.com/eso-addons/ better yet, follow me on Twitter: TechnicianNano
  • Tomboski
    Tomboski
    ✭✭✭
    "first day of April"/"Jester's Festival"... really?
    Preemptively announcing your iteration of April Fools'?
    [snip]

[edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on March 28, 2022 10:14AM
  • JimBeastliest
    JimBeastliest
    Soul Shriven
    Just one word-Awesome!
    (Awesome that you explained)
    (Awesome you may have it fixed!)
  • coletas
    coletas
    ✭✭✭✭
    "Database Sharding" which is a simple concept: take our giant player database (DB) and separate it into two sections for "current characters" and "older characters" so the entire DB doesn't have to be queried when a player logs in. "

After reading this, i know we will never play pvp again. Wow... I cant believe anyone with any experience would select that key. Matt... First of all, thank you for being honest and transparent this time, but seriously... hire profesionals, take your time, and unitest and profile/benchmark everything before something goes in production.
  • xclassgaming
    xclassgaming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The comments on here just prove alot of y'all will never be pleased. smh. GG ZOS, great coummnication as always, keep up the hard work.
    Add Veyas hair for us players to use!
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The comments on here just prove alot of y'all will never be pleased. smh. GG ZOS, great coummnication as always, keep up the hard work.

I agree. It was great communication. But "as always"?
    Not hardly. Just look at all the "give us better communication " threads over the last 2-3 years. It has been very little communication "as always".

But, as to a lot of us "never being pleased", I applauded Matt on communicating to us (finally) about data issues.
    What we are not "pleased" with is there is still no communication about AwA.
    ZoS has ignored 3,000 response and feedback and 95+ pages of "please talk with us".
    We are just asking Matt and Rich to just communicate with us about the horrible release of AwA the way they did about data storage.
    Is that too much to ask?
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if that faulty port is the reason cyro has had terrible lag for years lol.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • ceiron
    ceiron
    ✭✭✭✭
    And in continuing the clear communication theres been none at all today during console launch.

Extended maintenance with no explanation. I was going to add no prior warning but thats just a ludicrous expectation now.

Just to rub it in i predict xbox being sorted first and playstation a long time after.

I was getting a bit excited today for the first time in a long time.

Turns out it was for the social aspect of playing with nice people. Also turns out i can just go elsewhere for the same thing without the poor customer sevice etc
  • Sachsen71
    Sachsen71
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_MattFiror The game is broken again on PC/NA as of 20:40 ET 3/31.
  • TitanEidolon
    TitanEidolon
    ✭✭✭
    Post mortem was a little premature, the problems still have a pulse
  • Cuddlypuff
    Cuddlypuff
    ✭✭✭✭

Can't wait for the Post-Postmortem reveal
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Cuddlypuff wrote: »

Can't wait for the Post-Postmortem reveal

Someone call the coroner, they've murdered the server again.
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • AndASM
    AndASM
    ✭✭

This comment didn't age very well.

Have you considered it could be an enjoyable game, there could be great staff over there, and it could still be a poorly run mess? The game has had major performance issues both client-side and server-side for years. This postmortem even implies a lack of normal hardware redundancy on the servers and partitioning on the database.

We may love the game. It's great that they are working on performance again, for another year. But... They are still playing catchup on multi-year obvious issues for a product they regularly charge high fees for.

On the bright side, this time (2022-03-31) they actually updated the service alerts. Instead of the situation last time, where the servers were largely unplayable during peak hours for a week and it was listed as "Available". I would still argue that counts as very bad communication, and was but a week ago.

Oh, and don't forget how hard they make it to join these forums. I've been helping members of my guilds navigate that mess. You don't make your customer forums that hard to join and have "great communication", in my opinion.
  • Photosniper89
    Photosniper89
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, can we get this kind of communication from here on out. Tell us what your doing internally to solve the PVP issues, ect. be as transparent as possible. There is so much anger, most of it justified to be honest, regarding the unacceptable performance for this game over the years.

This kind of communication was welcomes by everyone (just look at how appreciative everyone was for the post).

Keep this kind of transparency up, more frequent (not only when things go bad)... maybe do a monthly recap/series or something (look at what 343i does).
    I am demanding better customer service from Zenimax Studios.
    I am demanding better and more open communication between the devs & the playerbase.

'We agree we haven't been communicating as much as we should on this matter (among others) and for that, we apologize. There really is no excuse.' ~ @ZOS_GinaBruno , nov 2018
  • Abigail
    Abigail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I was politely dubious about the omissions in Matt Furor's message, having experienced yet more server limitations, I can truly say he needs to extract his encephalon housing group from his posterior ejection mechanism and fix the problem. I don't want some further [snip] excuse, fix it.

[edited for profanity bypass]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on April 1, 2022 4:20PM
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yup, was slow all afternoon and then I got booted while switching zones.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works
  • Chiaroscuro
    Chiaroscuro
    ✭✭✭
    AndASM wrote: »

Oh, and don't forget how hard they make it to join these forums. I've been helping members of my guilds navigate that mess. You don't make your customer forums that hard to join and have "great communication", in my opinion.

This isn't a joke. I spent *years* fighting with zos to get an account sorted out properly.

I love this game, but this place is run terribly.

Like, I want to see it improve. We all do. ZOS, go do a checkup, I swear you have more hardware wheezing.
  • deleted221106-002999
    deleted221106-002999
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think it took ~18months to acknowledge issues on pc-eu a few years ago so definitely improved communication.

Probably not the wisest thing to tie 'compensation' to log-in rewards, although I certainly admire the optimism.

Of course, for 'some' customers apparently staring at log-in queue timers generating random numbers that optimism may, perhaps, look a lot like hubris.

• Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Huh? It took me about 5 minutes in June 2018 to figure out how to get invited to the forum.

It's NOT rocket science.
    Edited by Sylvermynx on April 1, 2022 2:39AM
  • coletas
    coletas
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sylvermynx wrote: »

Huh? Ir took me about 5 minutes in June 2018 to figure out how to get invited to the forum.

It's NOT rocket science.

I cannot remember how many houra took me but yeah, is not rocket science ;)
  • AndASM
    AndASM
    ✭✭

Huh? It took me about 5 minutes in June 2018 to figure out how to get invited to the forum.

It's NOT rocket science.

The register button doesn't work. Many people don't get the email. You have to go into support and submit a ticket under a non-intuitive category. It's not rocket science sure, but that doesn't make it good. Maybe it's changed since 2018?

If I'm helping others do it, that means I know how it works. If enough people are having to ask around to find it that I've helped several, then it's likely fairly counter intuitive or has been intentionally hidden. So what's the point of your message with the emphasis of the not like that? I'm trying to find a positive tone to read it in.
  • KMarble
    KMarble
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's NOT rocket science.

The register button doesn't work. Many people don't get the email. You have to go into support and submit a ticket under a non-intuitive category. It's not rocket science sure, but that doesn't make it good. Maybe it's changed since 2018?

If I'm helping others do it, that means I know how it works. If enough people are having to ask around to find it that I've helped several, then it's likely fairly counter intuitive or has been intentionally hidden. So what's the point of your message with the emphasis of the not like that? I'm trying to find a positive tone to read it in.

I bought the game in Feb 2018. Never got an invitation through email and it wasn't until towards the end of 2018 that I managed to join the forum.

You're absolutely right, it's a very obtuse and convoluted process.
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    KMarble wrote: »

It's NOT rocket science.

I bought the game in Feb 2018. Never got an invitation through email and it wasn't until towards the end of 2018 that I managed to join the forum.

You're absolutely right, it's a very obtuse and convoluted process.

I had a very similar experience. I bought the game sometime around late July early August, and never received an invitation to the forums via email. As I recall, I had to go through customer support, and as a result, did not have a forum account at all until sometime in September. It's quite a convoluted process to go through for what should be a very simple registration.
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will there be a 2nd post mortem?
  • Abigail
    Abigail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will there be a 2nd post mortem?

Think it would be an exhumation rather than a 2nd postmortem.
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know there was a port issue but...seeing as PC NA is still in rough shape; you can't be serious. Really a bad idea for an April fool's joke @ZOS_GinaBruno
    We’re excited to let everyone know we’re approaching the final stage of completing database sharding and are planning to shard the PC EU megaserver next Tuesday, April 5 so you can reap the performance benefits of sharding as soon as possible.
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I know there was a port issue but...seeing as PC NA is still in rough shape; you can't be serious. Really a bad idea for an April fool's joke @ZOS_GinaBruno
    We’re excited to let everyone know we’re approaching the final stage of completing database sharding and are planning to shard the PC EU megaserver next Tuesday, April 5 so you can reap the performance benefits of sharding as soon as possible.

Let's be honest group finder didn't break because of a port issue.

Also what happened this time. A week later the fixes break everything again?