The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

The amount of time I spend managing inventory in this game is obscene. Why can't we buy more space?

• Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to buy more storage chests with writs, you hear me ZOS? I need like 5 more, or 10 more, surprise me....
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    I never quite get why people think that their inventory would be easier to manage if only there was more of it. Yes I understand it would all be in one place such as the bank rather than split up, but there's a much simpler solution - there is no reason to hoard in this game. If you do, then it's a given that you need to subscribe as well as buy all the chests, maximise all the bank and inventory slots, create mules incl on a second account if necessary, and have plenty of houses. If after all that and despite having your own guild bank you still run out of space then you really do need to cut back on the hoarding :wink: !

It’s not a matter of hoarding, at least not for many of us. I buy furnishings that I like and intend to use when they’re available or I find a good deal, etc. For some very niche furnishings, I do store them away somewhere not readily accessible like an extra home/warehouse. But when I decorate, I really like to be able to try different options and see what works best. I know different people work differently and my way is neither cheapest nor most efficient, but it’s what I like to do.

I make what space I have work and refine how I store things and reevaluate what I should keep. I recently sold a number of odds and ends and even destroyed a few bound furnishings I could not see myself using.

And don’t even get me started on repurposing a home, removing all the furnishings to another property. Even temporary extra space as in a sort of “moving truck” would be so helpful for such projects!
    Edited by Araneae6537 on October 31, 2021 5:58PM
  • Ippokrates
    Ippokrates
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMHO it is not an issue of limit, because the space would never be sufficient ;p but rather system we have in ESO, where we must manage stuff on a level of single type of goods.

Wouldn't be nice if the would introduce a "package" or "books" where we can store & move a single type of armour/weapon, potions, furniture types or motifs, without necessity to move one by one?
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    all the chests, maximise all the bank and inventory slots, create mules incl on a second account if necessary, and have plenty of houses.

This is exactly what makes it a chore - going through 10 loading screens just to assemble new build from items that you already have, because you can't have everything in one place.
  • Eiagra
    Eiagra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have to agree with the guild bank idea. My sister and I both have storage guilds and had got to the required 10 members mostly with alt accounts or players leaving and not coming back. The extra 500 slots for event items and motif pages isn't a silver bullet, but it helps a lot.
          In verity.
  • deleted220614-000183
    Well, from one point of view, they do sell additional bank space for $. It's called ESO+.

---
    Every MMO I've played has had a max bag/bank space. Some of them have slowly increased over time (like WoW having bigger backpacks every expansion or so), others haven't. People juggling junk between mules & "private" guild banks has existed in the genre since it's beginning.

I can only assume that there are reasons for those limits (like, the more each character can stash away, the more database space it takes for each character record).

edit:
    But seriously, why wouldn't ZOS want to sell additional space?

They don't want their server databases to collapse even further? o:)

It is not about server capacity, it is the easiest way how to milk players.
    Fill their inv with garbage and make inventory insufficient.
    Once you buy ESO+ as a solution, you are lost forewer because it is way hard to go back (when crafting bag locks and bank space halved)

Now if you are experienced player, every MMORPG has artificially created bottlenecks to force people pay for some extra.
    In every game it starts after some 10-50 hous spent in the game, beginners has not problems with inv at all and if they have, space upgrade is cheap.
    Once player starts to think he achieved something and doesn't want to lost it, they start to milk them.

You can easilly manage your inv but I'll rather don't tell you how I'm doing that as I don't want to give studio any clues as I feel them as my enemy in this matter.

• deleted220614-000183
    I dont understand how people het inventory problem in this game, for the eso+,member to be specific

Mats are in the craft bag and .....

To be ESO+ member and don't have problems with storage is a bit - funny.
    Yes you don't have problems because you already paid for premium ransom :smile: to avoid problems.

Now without ESO+ membership, you needn't run into problems as long as you destroy/deconstruct any garbage under 5000 golds and as long you are member in multiple top trading guilds able to sell your surplus valuables fast enough.

• Jamdarius
    Jamdarius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vinnyml wrote: »
    Yes I have max inventory on 11 characters and yes I have max bank space and yes I have both pets. Just to get that out of the way. (Edit: my bad, should have said this originally: I have never not had ESO+.)

But seriously, why wouldn't ZOS want to sell additional space? I genuinely don't get it. In and of itself, selling additional bank space for Crowns would be nearly pure profit. What form of technology is moving faster and getting cheaper than data storage?

Even more perplexing is why we can't purchase additional item slots in homes. Let there by no ambiguity here: I pass on buying furnishing packs every cycle because I don't have enough item slots in a given home. Basically I'm asking them to take my money for the sole purpose of taking more of my money.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitalism

Where are we lost?

Just saying but I do not own ESO+ for a long time now and it helped me learn how to manage my inventory better, I would suggest to stop hoarding every single item in game and instead use the codex to make the stuff you need when you really need instead of filling every single empty slot with items you do not really need/never use.
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It doesn’t matter how big you make the bank space, you will always have more junk to put in it. There will always be a part of you that wants to hold onto more stuff.

As my wife so eloquently put it, the bigger the handbag becomes the more junk you have to put in it. For her this became so much of a problem it was beginning to give her a bend at the top of her spine. So she forced herself to use one that isn’t much bigger than a pencil case, in so doing forcing herself to rationalise what she was keeping, solving both problems at the same time.

I have no doubt that you will see the sets and bits of furniture and all the rest as vital things you couldn’t possibly do without. My rule is simple, especially with their collections system, have I used to set in the last six months. If the answer is no it is scrapped, regardless of what it is. I already have two jobs, I don’t need inventory management as another.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    trpajzla wrote: »
    Well, from one point of view, they do sell additional bank space for $. It's called ESO+.

---
    Every MMO I've played has had a max bag/bank space. Some of them have slowly increased over time (like WoW having bigger backpacks every expansion or so), others haven't. People juggling junk between mules & "private" guild banks has existed in the genre since it's beginning.

I can only assume that there are reasons for those limits (like, the more each character can stash away, the more database space it takes for each character record).

edit:
    But seriously, why wouldn't ZOS want to sell additional space?

They don't want their server databases to collapse even further? o:)

It is not about server capacity, it is the easiest way how to milk players.
    Fill their inv with garbage and make inventory insufficient.
    Once you buy ESO+ as a solution, you are lost forewer because it is way hard to go back (when crafting bag locks and bank space halved)

Now if you are experienced player, every MMORPG has artificially created bottlenecks to force people pay for some extra.

In every game it starts after some 10-50 hous spent in the game, beginners has not problems with inv at all and if they have, space upgrade is cheap.
    Once player starts to think he achieved something and doesn't want to lost it, they start to milk them.

You can easilly manage your inv but I'll rather don't tell you how I'm doing that as I don't want to give studio any clues as I feel them as my enemy in this matter.

Inventory limits have been around a lot longer than cash shops. I don't doubt the revenue benefits of such limits these days, but there are always performance-related limits, which is why in ESO for example there is a strict (and quite low) limit on the number of inventory/bank slot expansions you can buy. Why would they impose such limits if the sole purpose was to "milk players", not least when there is such a clear demand for more slots?
    Edited by Tandor on October 31, 2021 11:21AM
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The bigger issue imo is just a lack of certain quality of life features.

What we need:
    - Option to mark items as “Tagged”. These items will no longer show up when banking or selling stuff. Gear, potions, etc.
    - Option to mark items as “Trash”. These items can all be sold with the click of one button at a merchant. Trash also stays this way when you pick up more of that same item in the future... Stuff like green/white gear you’d always sell, or foul hide, etc.
    Edited by Vaoh on October 31, 2021 11:34AM
  • LalMirchi
    LalMirchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inventory management is a very hard but necessary discipline in most MMORPGs. I learnt the hard way in ESO and now have routines that i follow every gameplay session.

I sell in guild stores all the fragments for things I'm never likely to use, pets, target dummies etc. Furniture is often parked in a storage house so it does not clog up my bank. Every character does a decon run on things accumulated by their forays into the world including all the set pieces as they any go into the sticker book. I vendor anything that is of low or average value.

That takes a couple of minutes of gameplay per character and has greatly reduced my predilection for hoarding. YMMV ;)
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As someone who plays pve & pvp, on the same characters, what would be useful is a ‘siege bag’ like the craft bag for all those ballistas & oils. Could have a 50 item limit but would really help ease strain on inventory.
  • bdavis8529_ESO
    My girlfriend refuses to play this game because of the inventory and quest limit.
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I never quite get why people think that their inventory would be easier to manage if only there was more of it. Yes I understand it would all be in one place such as the bank rather than split up, but there's a much simpler solution - there is no reason to hoard in this game. If you do, then it's a given that you need to subscribe as well as buy all the chests, maximise all the bank and inventory slots, create mules incl on a second account if necessary, and have plenty of houses. If after all that and despite having your own guild bank you still run out of space then you really do need to cut back on the hoarding :wink: !

Most of my available inventory space is full of items that either don't stack (treasure maps and master writs) or are items that I can't deconstruct such as furniture.
  • peacenote
    peacenote
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would pay a lot for more space, ESPECIALLY centralized bank space and character inventory slots for those that tank or heal.

While it is true that it is a losing battle, we should at least get an increase when new item types are added to the game... otherwise it is really a step backwards. Companion gear is an EXCELLENT example of this.

Another example, imo, is when we got mythics and antiquties, which introduced a fair amount of new furniture pieces and more armor to carry around. If you chase down and excavate your leads, you need more space to keep this stuff. If you take the Wild Hunt ring on and off as appropriate, that's one less slot in my bag. Etc.

I am happy with stickerbook but overall I feel we are still behind the curve of "new stuff to store and carry" vs. the maximum amount of space we can unlock.

Housing space is my least favorite type of storage as it requires load screens to use and moving stuff around is inefficient... but I would take it over nothing.
    My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
    • Advocate for this HERE.
    • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
  • Rasande_Robin
    Rasande_Robin
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd love to have a "bookcase" furniture where I can put in Master writs I wanna do later, juggling them around is crazy!
    PC/EU: Orcana "something"-stone
  • Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey OP,

I stopped paying ESO+ and I've been getting along ok with a guild bank (my own - 500 slots), coffers in my house and I deconstructed a hell of a lot of material.

The problem with the current system is that we are going towards more and more items to 'keep'. With the hybrid plan I'm sure our producer has predicted an up-sale on subscriptions due to the fact that they'll need more space.

I'm against the hording mechanics they throw at us with 'freebies' we never use, but at the end of the day if you commit to a smaller 'horde of goods' and keep only what it is needed, you can get by.

But yeah, its a displeasing system I agree. Hope to see this trend fade off in future (general sense).
    Edited by Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo on October 31, 2021 6:40PM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    double post - accident - delete please :)
    Edited by Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo on October 31, 2021 6:50PM
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thinking about it, it's kind of interesting - in the Beth games (FO3/4, MW/OB/SK) I grab everything not nailed down, and carefully file it in sorted containers. Hundreds and thousands of pieces of junk, armor, crafting mats, etc. But in MMOs, I've no real trouble keeping my inventory under control. Wonder why... /ponder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thinking about it, it's kind of interesting - in the Beth games (FO3/4, MW/OB/SK) I grab everything not nailed down, and carefully file it in sorted containers. Hundreds and thousands of pieces of junk, armor, crafting mats, etc. But in MMOs, I've no real trouble keeping my inventory under control. Wonder why... /ponder

I guess some people prefer the looting/crafting/organising aspects of a game and excel it in and on the other hand you have that adventurer friend that spends his time honing other skills in different domains.

Both are needed, but sometimes don't understand each other.

A example of a high end raider type: (+5 years of gameplay - requirements for gear):

- Perfected Relequen (Full body, daggers/Inferno Staff/Jewellery)
    - Perfected Siroria (Full body, daggers/Inferno Staff/Jewellery)
    - Perfected Bashei (Fully Body, daggers/Inferno Staff/Jewellery)
    - All post-Vvardenfell healing sets available in game (Minus some distance based buff sets)
    - Basically all Tanking sets in the game (for group purposes)
    - BIS secondary/aoe sets/mostly front bar (Mothers sorrow, Acuity, Medusa, list goes on)
    - A variety of monster sets for damage/healing/tanking
    - VMA back bar weapons and unique front bars
    - Unique sets from Mythical drops (You won't be accepted into high end guilds without it)

If I add PvP sets to this and the occasional 'training setup' for your new characters...well let's just say it's a lot!
    Now that the Hybridisation meta is upon us...it's only going to extend further as Staminas will use Magicka setups and vice versa.

PS: I'm sure a missed a bunch in that list, sorry if I missed your setup out and like I said, you can get by without the subscription even though it's a bit of a bummer. Stickerbook can help, but also involves re-farming of transmutation crystals at the end of the line (you delete for a meta, rebuild for a meta type thing)
    Edited by Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo on October 31, 2021 7:14PM
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, the more inventory you have, the more unwieldy it becomes. Just ask my PoGO storage...

I find being strict about deconning/vendoring stuff that I have in the sticker book, doing at least some of my surveys weekly and doing master writs whenever they pile up a bit helps a lot.

The Moot Councillor
  • FluffWit
    FluffWit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't have too much trouble. My bank sits at like 180 items, the rest slowly fills up with decon gear, master writs and surveys, etc. My private guild bank is like half full.

My main toons inventory is like 60/200 slots when I clear it out properly. Which I only have to do like once a week really.

Furniture is a pain- I have something like 2000 items spread over 4-5 storage houses. But I'm used to it.

Honestly, I find inventory more of a hassle in single player games lime Skyrim and Fallout. Have to sort it out every couple of hours in those.
  • Adremal
    Adremal
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    vinnyml wrote: »
    I never quite get why people think that their inventory would be easier to manage if only there was more of it.

I could have probably chosen my words better here. I said "inventory management" to be succinct. All the stuff I have is something for which I have a definite plan, or items from a limited-time Crown Store showcase. For the latter, let's say it's a cool fire-breathing dragon statue, but I'm not currently working on a the specific house where it will eventually go. My choices are get it and store it or maybe never have it. What an absurd business model that is. Strictly from ZOS' perspective, the options there are earn revenue or don't earn revenue. No gray area. That's what confuses me.

This is why the free houses exist, like the Psijic palace and this one we get from the 2021 events... They are warehouses for unused furniture. :smile:

You still have to teleport back and forth warehouses, and when you get to a certain level not even half of a bank and all of the storage coffer will help much - you will have to teleport back and forth. Hell, I organized my warehouses by theme... I have 6 or 7 by now, most 700/700 or close to it. And I do keep the furnishings with the most stacks (such as building blocks) in those storages or the bank obviously. I'd pay more for a craft bag for furnishing pieces.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even if they add more storage space the problem still won't go away. The same holds true for housing slots. Some players will always fill up every slot they have available and be right back in the same boat again.
    PCNA
  • huntgod_ESO
    huntgod_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vaoh wrote: »
    The bigger issue imo is just a lack of certain quality of life features.

What we need:
    - Option to mark items as “Tagged”. These items will no longer show up when banking or selling stuff. Gear, potions, etc.
    - Option to mark items as “Trash”. These items can all be sold with the click of one button at a merchant. Trash also stays this way when you pick up more of that same item in the future... Stuff like green/white gear you’d always sell, or foul hide, etc.

Pc has this as an addon, Personal Assistant automates a lot of that.
    --- HuntGod ---
    Officer of the Unrepentant
    www.unrepentantgaming.com
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    One thing I would like more than the inventory space is being able to see other characters inventory. I feel like I would be able to better keep track of what I need and don't need if I can see every characters inventory at once. Instead of keeping something on the off chance I need it on another character turns into having 10 best traited gear pieces because I don't know how many I need. I am currently going through this with yolnakriin on all my tanks. I never know if I need a sturdy piece or not.

If you're on PC, there's an addon for that: Leo's Altholic

@ZOS_RichLambert Can we get this on console? Super duper pooper scooper please?
  • theplague4u
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    One thing I would like more than the inventory space is being able to see other characters inventory. I feel like I would be able to better keep track of what I need and don't need if I can see every characters inventory at once. Instead of keeping something on the off chance I need it on another character turns into having 10 best traited gear pieces because I don't know how many I need. I am currently going through this with yolnakriin on all my tanks. I never know if I need a sturdy piece or not.

If you're on PC, there's an addon for that: Leo's Altholic

I'm getting this add on asap. Thanks