The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

The Concept of Seperating Race from Racials.

Myux
Myux
✭✭✭
hi. i like being a lizard. im a competitive 1vX pvper and have found a way to complain about something that isnt lag or converge! argonian is one of the worst choices of race available and is gimping me massively.

my line of thought is this: why are cosmetics irremoveably attached to crucial stats? why cant we pick? my idea is that there could be a racial passive token for sale in the store that can change our passives to another races' set. maybe even keep the rp passives (the passives that are auto unlocked i.e. dunmer lava resist and argonian swimming speed).

here are my arguments for doing this:
  • Allows true diversity of races, allowing every race to do whatever they want without being useless compareatively. Imagine being able to see wizard redguards around in high end content! how pleasant.
  • fully seperate appearance from stats, allowing people to fashion exactly as they want (aside from weapons)
  • i wont get made fun of in trials :(
  • Gets zos more money via making us pay for it! they like money!!!!!!!!!
  • ends racism
now im sure many of you have arguments against it, but consider my counterarguments to obvious ones first:
  • "it is lore unfriendly and makes no sense! dont like that"
    you are not able to see what passives other players have. them having slightly (massively for endgame content) different stats is unnoticeable to you! additionally you can write it off as an individual being raised by the race of the racials they picked and adapting! makes more sense for some passives than others tho.
  • "i picked my race based on racials so i dont see why other people should have the option"
    you are free now
  • "when fighting people, seeing their race can be very useful so i can know how much damage theyll do under what conditions and how much they will resist"
    yeah but what about fully armored people thoe. this does bring up a valid point vs specifically khajiit tho because you can always see their tail, and when fighting cats its more important to block to prevent crits. tho i dont think i know a single player who actually changes their playstyle based on the opposing race. maybe its a thing tho!
  • "all prior elder scrolls games have racials irremovably tied to race"
    yes and also every single gameplay element in eso is completely different from other TES games.

i hope you all consider this option. i would love it a lot if it was available in the game, and i hope you all would love it too! if ur interested, try and let zos know by chattin in this thread so it could potentially get noticed, and maybe send some messages to them somehow? i am not certain. maybe somewhere in the tickets menu. and be polite while discussing it!
Edited by ZOS_Chiroptera on October 28, 2021 8:58PM

The Concept of Seperating Race from Racials. 212 votes

Yes, most or all of the idea is sound, comfy and would be enjoyed by me!
15% 32 votes
Yes, though I feel there are major differences that I would prefer over the proposed idea
3% 7 votes
Maybe! I am skeptical about this being done well, or if it should be done at all. Indecisive.
5% 11 votes
No, there are too many downsides that I am not willing to partake in
76% 162 votes
  • Myux
    Myux
    ✭✭✭
    oh hold on i [snip] up how do i delete a thread oh god

EDIT: fixed it lol

[edited for profanity bypass]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on October 24, 2021 10:13AM
  • Vhozek
    Vhozek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hell no.
    Have you ever played a TES game?
    𝗡𝗼𝘁 𝘀𝗼𝗿𝗿𝘆, 𝗺𝗼𝗱𝘀. 𝗙𝗿𝗲𝗲 𝗕𝗶𝗿𝗱 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗶𝗻𝗴.
  • Myux
    Myux
    ✭✭✭
    Vhozek wrote: »
    Hell no.

hello! please read my forethought counterarguments before making a post i already responded to!
  • Nisekev
    Nisekev
    ✭✭✭
    Your idea is awful and harmful for the game that already has little to no substance.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do not think the poll will sway Zenimax. ESO has long had racial passives in games though they have changed from game to game. As such the racial passives are lore-friendly and Zenimax owns the lore (I read your argument).

Further, twice Zenimax has had the opportunity to eliminate or untie passives from the race, and each time they chose to stick with the long-held design of passives being tied to race.
    • When Zenimax allowed us to change our race. I understand they originally considered the idea of passives remaining the same but merely the race change. Clearly, they decided to stick with passives being tied to the race.
    • When Zenimax did the heavy pass on racial passives which essentially normalized them to a degree and worked with the idea that every type of build would have multiple choices for race.
    So I do not think Zenimax is interested in considering detaching passives from the choice of race-based on their actions.
  • Nagastani
    Nagastani
    ✭✭✭✭
    So I'll just go on record and say I am one of those who voted 'no'.

I feel that in order for things to have value in different ways we must identify not just what they are but where they come from.

Let's try a hypothetical. Altmer vs Dunmer. These two things are -not- the same. They originated from the same place in the beginning from a similar race known as Aldmer, however over the natural progression of time, each shaped into a different identity.

If I goto play a Dunmer, then I expect a character that identifies with that group of 'people'. If I want an Altmer, same goes. Being able to copy paste buffs or constraints that were established to provide identity to a race defeats the purpose of having separate races.

Its just a situation where it may be best to just respect each other's differences instead of trying to make everything equal to everything else when these types of people share a different heritage, coming from different places and different experiences. Do you see what I'm saying?

However. I am firm believer in people being able to enjoy their game, because if you don't enjoy playing it then that matters, regardless of what others think. So unfort this game is not like Skyrim or perhaps even Oblivion where you use the map editor to mod racial values. We used to do that in Skyrim all the time because neither myself nor any of my internet friends at the time liked the watered-down racial settings from the vanilla game. Its another case where they just put something there and probably cut development in favor of other things.
    Edited by Nagastani on October 24, 2021 5:31AM
  • xgoku1
    xgoku1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Myux wrote: »
    Vhozek wrote: »
    Hell no.

hello! please read my forethought counterarguments before making a post i already responded to!

Your counter-arguments are poor.

1. Not seeing what other people's racial passives are doesn't make it less lore-friendly. As in real life, the concept of racial passives is that you are subject to inherited traits from your race, it is completely different from your character development.
    2. Not an argument
    3. Yes, noone really cares about opponent race in PvP. Your proposal is actually going against your counter-point and making race impactful?
    4. Completely hyperbolic statement.
    5. Rude meme.

Edited by xgoku1 on October 24, 2021 7:06AM
  • hands0medevil
    hands0medevil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am amazaded, I really am
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    1. No.
    2. You should use Dr. Pepper made with sugar if you want to drink it hot, not High Fructose Corn Syrup. Its not the same.
  • Vylaera
    Vylaera
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is an embarrassing ratio.

No. Race in ESO already barely means anything. The difference between an unoptimized race and an optimized race is a 3% damage difference, the math was already broken down. Khajiit were top tier for a while, but with the crit cap next patch, they aren't anymore.

Race is real, ask a forensic anthropologist. You shouldn't discriminate against people for immutable qualities, but pretending it isn't real is just absurd.

I suck at math. it doesn't come to me naturally. I failed remedial college algebra three times before I passed it. But I wrote all my university essays each in under three hours and in one sitting, and I never got a grade lower than a 93. People who are strong in one area will have grotesque weaknesses in another. [snip]

This aside, I don't want the game to become even more casualized and watered down. ES went from being a complex RPG in the 90s to early 2000s, to an interactive themepark ride in 2011 to present. Like that Buzz Lightyear ride at Disney World where you wait in line for 2 hours and then you get in a cart with laser guns attached and score points for shooting aliens. This is the state of ESO, and you want to make it even worse.

[edited for inappropriate content]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on October 24, 2021 12:37PM
    Vy • lae • ra
  • KalyanLazair
    KalyanLazair
    ✭✭✭✭
    ESO is based on The Elder Scrolls games, which are based on tabletop RPG games like D&D. In all of these games races are not only a funky element to flesh out a fantasy world but also a tactical element you need to take into account when creating your character. There is not any rule against you wanting to be a dwarf ranger, and you can actually create such a character and even a story justifying its existence, but your dwarf will be at a disadvantage against other better suited races like elves. The fact that each race has their own differences is not only tactically sound, but it also allows for a far more interesting roleplay experience.

So no, racial passives are fine where they are. You do not buy a lambo aventador if you want to go cross country.

As for your counter arguments, I do believe your pro-arguments are far more telling about why you want this, and none of your points justify such a change.
    Allows true diversity of races, allowing every race to do whatever they want without being useless compareatively. Imagine being able to see wizard redguards around in high end content! how pleasant.

No, the true diversity is in accepting that each race has some strengths and some weaknesses, and planning your character tactically around that fact. Gaming is an experience that requires a certain ammount of learning, skill honing and being able to plan your strategy to maximize your skills while making up for your weaknesses. This is why glass cannons exist as concepts. What you're basically asking for is to remove the whole tactical aspect in the game for purely cosmetic reasons.
    fully seperate appearance from stats, allowing people to fashion exactly as they want (aside from weapons)

Purely cosmetic reasons.This is a game, not DeviantArt.

Cosmetics are an important part of ESO and I will not deny it. However right now the options are absolutely enormous so this argument is pretty weak. Right now you can fashion your character in pretty much whatever way you want, while naturally keeping the consistency of its race. You can also play any class you want. You have absolute freedom about what to do with your character and how to create it. The only "limitation" are its racial passives, which are part of the game's mechanics, so you have to weight your options and decide what is more important for you; battle performance and optimizing your selected class, or cosmetics?

I'll set an example; I practice a certain dog sport. My favorite dog breed in looks and temperament is the dobermann. I have a malinois. Why? Because it outperforms the dobermann by a mile. I had to choose between cosmetics and performance, and since I was buying a dog for sport, not a pet, performance won. Making a weird cross-breed to have the performance of a malinois in the body of a dobermann is not a valid reason to change a breed.
    i wont get made fun of in trials :(

I will not justify anyone making fun of you for playing an argonian because I'm not that type of monster, but I believe your suggestion is purely driven by emotion, not reason. I am sorry but even though they are not right to do this, this is not a reason to change how races work. If you have an issue with other players mocking you (something I've personally not experienced myself that often, as I tend to ignore idiots in general) use the report tools and consider toughening up. This last part is not intended to harm you in any way, but to help you. You'll be much happier if you don't let these things hurt you.
    Gets zos more money via making us pay for it! they like money!!!!!!!!!

Not an argument to convince me. I couldn't care less about a company that already makes millions of dollars getting another bonus.
    ends racism

I will be blunt; no, it doesn't.
  • dinokstrunz
    dinokstrunz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see many issues regarding this.
    1. We don't want anymore monetization's
    2. People will simple choose the best racials in the game for example Khajiit Crit - Dunmer Damage - High Elf damage
    3. If this was the work they would have to nerf racial passives completely.
    4. The damage compared from each races these days are somewhat very miniscule. It's probably not that big of a deal unless you're completely paranoid about min maxing.

Personally I think racials are in a good spot right now. Maybe some tiny tweaking here and there (Redguards) but other than that it's almost solid.
  • peacenote
    peacenote
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Honestly, the fact that there are racials help encourage me to try different ones. I like that.

They don't make so much if a difference that I need to swap all the time, but I also like the added complexity they provide when thinking about making a new character.

Maybe I'm lucky but I have never had an issue with any group or anything I have ever tried to do in ESO because of my race. No one has commented on it or ever told me I was the "wrong" one. Most people seem to respect the choice of selecting based on min/max or because you like it.

However each race should have useful racials and even though it didn't affect me I am still on the "fix Bosmer" train.
    My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
    • Advocate for this HERE.
    • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm happy with things as they are/have always been. I wouldn't ever be interested in "un-racing/un-racialing" this or any other TES game.

I'm sorry people are mean about your choice of argonian. But this just seems like something very few people have an issue with, and ZOS isn't really known for "fixing" the game for a few specific people. Thankfully.
  • Kalle_Demos
    Kalle_Demos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.

"If I am to be Queen, I must look fear in the face and conquer it. How can I ask my people to have faith in me if I don't have faith in myself?" - Queen Ayrenn
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem with racials in eso is that they are SUPPOSED to be based in lore, but in many respects steer far from it.

Orcs are supposed to be heavy armor tanks, but other then the nod to blacksmithing, it’s not there.

Nords are supposed to be leather wearing bezerker fighters, but other then a nod to two handed weapons, it’s not there.

And BOSMERS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE STEALTHY!!! 😡

It goes on. Where are the stealth bonuses for dunmer and argonians is another example.

•••

Another issue is that the races are not very pliable for builds.

Argonians should have assassins, Nords and Bosmers have mages, but you would not know that by their current racial passives.

It’s hard to sit here and fight for the integrity of traditional hard coded racials, when zos themselves keeps doing them so badly.
  • Hymzir
    Hymzir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will not sway the traditionalists. They are far too set in their ways. It's kinda like on of those "MMOs require grind" things. People think it's true, and therfore act like it's true. I'm not trying to belittle anyone's beliefs here, merely pointing out that it is a belief, not a fact. Racials on themselves, as purely game mechanical constructs, do serve a valid function in offering build diversity. However, tying such mechanical attributes to a purely cosmetic factor, is a rather old fashioned way of doing it. Better ways have been devised in the game industry to offer such mechanics, while also fostering greater creativity and ways to express that within the fiction of the game world.

Changing the racials to be irrelevant and purely fluff, and offering selection of natural talents, would not harm the game in anyway, and would make it better for many. But many people will resist the idea simply because of ingrained beliefs that having racials matters.

You will also see lot of people touting past games as proof that they are integral, that they are part of Elder Scroll lore. And that ZOS is simply respecting that. Heh, like lore ever stopped ZOS from doing what they wanted. They retcon stuff left and right to suit their needs.

Besides, racial passive of the Elder Scroll universe have always been a racial bias, not a racial imperative. That is to say, that it is more likely for a member of a specific race to have leanings towards martial or magical learning. Or be more swift and agile than one from another race. But at the same time, those racial aptitudes have never prevented exceptional persons from rising to the very top of their chosen trade thru study and dedicated training, or by the benefits of being unusually gifted in said activities. Those racial tendencies have made certain paths easier than others for a member of a given race, but they have never stood as an absolute barrier in their way. In ESO though, an Altmer is always going to be better an magic than a Nord. The mechanics of the game prevent the Nord from ever achieving the same level of power as an Altmer. No matter what the player does.

In pretty much every Elder Scroll game, except ESO, you can master all trades just as well, regardless of what race you chose at the beginning. In ESO the racials are a dominant feature that explicitly make you better at certain things. You can go across the grain if you want, but the loss of actual ingame power is perceivable. Now some will say it doesn't mater, that you can finish 99% percent of the games content even when playing against your racial stereotypes. Which is true, but doesn't' change the fact, that at the very top of the chart, chasing leadeboard scores, or trying to master PVP, it pays to go toady up to the party line as far as racials go. Which is a shame.

Wanna be like Shalidor? A true master wizard of the arcane arts, who also happened to be a Nord? Well, "No soup for you!", says ESO. Nords are dumb big brutes, best left to take hits for others, and not much else.

But enough already, this wont change. Its a relic of an archaic game design philosophy, but one that is still deeply entrenched into the psyche of gaming population. Heck, I used to subscribe to it like most of everyone else. It took me years and years of convincing by others to finally see the light. Racials do not add anything tangible to the game, and only end up limiting the players creativity.
  • Jackey
    Jackey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't mind this being a thing during character creation. Like picking a background story for your character so the racial passives (though, it probably wouldn't be called that anymore) would be adjusted depending on your choices.
    Those choices would only affect the passive stats such as max mag/stam/health, SD/WD, regeneration etc.
    Unique racial passives should remain exclusive to the race.

For the monetization part. I don't like the idea of another token.
    This could be part of the race change token, but it have to be given out for free to every character created before its implementation or it would receive severe backlash.

I don't see this happening to be honest. I don't mind it, I'd certainly use it if it were but I don't think it would be implemented correctly. I can imagine a balancing nightmare occurring after a change like this if it were to be done poorly.
    PS | EU
  • Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ./danceargonian like no one is watching, tiny lizard dancer.

• BloodyStigmata
    BloodyStigmata
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely not.

What you're suggesting would further water down the role-playing elements in an RPG series that has, frankly, already watered down its role-playing elements far more than enough. You know what those are, right? Choices? Things that have a significant impact on who and what your character is? Why more and more people are coming into RPG's and asking for less RP I'll never know, but here we are.

Your choice in race SHOULD have an impact on your abilities. Different races have different biology, and that's GOING to have a significant impact on your aptitude in certain areas. This impact however does not prevent you from filling whatever role you wish to fill. It's going to make it more difficult sure, but that's part of the appeal--you're going against cultural norms and your own inherent imperfections in certain areas and overcoming them to be what you want to be. None of that is racism--that's world building and character building, and that's a big part of... wait for it, RPG's.

I have a Nord magicka DK myself and I love her to pieces. Is sustain harder? Yes. Do I wish I had the Breton passives? Yes. But do you know what? I'm not a Breton. I'm a Nord. I picked that race because a Nord is who and what my character is. And you know what? I fire off my ultimate faster because of my choice and my health is naturally higher. I can afford to go further into sustain further through other sources like food/drinks, and the resource restore from casting ultimates as a DK synergizes well with my increased ultimate regen so its still managing to play to my strengths somehow.

Heck, the impact in this game isn't even all that noticeable, and if you're halfway decent player then almost no one is going to care if they even notice to begin with.

Now, one thing I wish they'd expand on more that's sort of related to your idea is making some of the polymorphs more customizable--there's potential there to allow players "play" as some of the non-playable races/daedra without having to balance them as new races entirely--you could pick whichever race with passives you like at character creation and then just play make-believe from that point forward. I'm already doing that with a few characters despite the cosmetic limitations. I think that's the best you can hope for.
    Owner and proprietor of the Northern Elsweyr Guar Reserve and The Hunting Grounds Guar Reserve, Tamriel's home to all things guar.
    See the embedded brochures for all information regarding our reserves, as well as our collection status!
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Not opposed to the idea.

I voted no because I don't trust ZOS to not screw it up.
  • Taggund
    Taggund
    ✭✭✭✭
    For a MMO where each race can fill every class and every role, and be stam or magicka, I think each race should have options for stam and magicka passives that could be selected as desired. These could still vary by race, but would not make you feel you need to exclude a race as an option, and would let you choose a different play style later if desired (like how Dunmer and Khajiit are often recommended if not sure if want to be stam or magicka).

My other thought is never start an idea with the crown store as the way to get it.
  • trackdemon5512
    trackdemon5512
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Race matters here.

This isn’t the real world where the real physiological characteristics associated with various races results in small differences between a species as a whole.

You essentially have 5 distinct species here: Human, Mer, Orc, Khajiit, and Argonian

Humans: Imperial, Breton, Redguard, Nord
    - Redguard itself comes from Yokudan lineage which has an entire continent and thousands of years of its own history and identity.

Mer: Altmer, Bosmer, Dunmer
    - Bosmer has thousands of year of not eating plants and perfecting stealth. Altmer has the practice of magic and Summerset Isles isolation. Dunmer were literally biologically morphed from the Chimer using magic. Even Snow Elves, not playable, have been so radically altered over years that they have lost sight but gained adapted hearing.

I can go on but RACE MATTERS here. It’s a narrative function and it serves a purpose.
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just like there is clear class identity, there is racial identity, and it is tied, and integral, to the culture of the race.
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • SammyKhajit
    SammyKhajit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The racism and other antisocial behaviours are sad reflections of the players who are &$”@. This one doesn’t think the above changes will stop them behaving badly.

Having said so, Sammy is sorry to hear OP being mocked for playing as Argonian. The community is mostly great and very diverse but yea, this one hears the occasional slurs and stupid comments as well.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want my character's race to to have exactly the same level of impact on combat effectiveness that her gender has.

Shalador (a Nord) was a gifted mage. Why can't my Bosmer be one as well. After all, according to the game she is unique and The Chosen One. Play how you want? What difference do your racials make to anyone but you?
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Castagere
    Castagere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »
    The problem with racials in eso is that they are SUPPOSED to be based in lore, but in many respects steer far from it.

Orcs are supposed to be heavy armor tanks, but other then the nod to blacksmithing, it’s not there.

Nords are supposed to be leather wearing bezerker fighters, but other then a nod to two handed weapons, it’s not there.

And BOSMERS ARE SUPPOSED TO BE STEALTHY!!! 😡

It goes on. Where are the stealth bonuses for dunmer and argonians is another example.

•••

Another issue is that the races are not very pliable for builds.

Argonians should have assassins, Nords and Bosmers have mages, but you would not know that by their current racial passives.

It’s hard to sit here and fight for the integrity of traditional hard coded racials, when zos themselves keeps doing them so badly.

This 1000%
    I have been complaining about how ZOS just made up their own version of racial passives and lore. To the people saying they are following the lore need to read up on them or look up the 100's youtube video on this subject.
  • Aelsioln
    Aelsioln
    ✭✭✭
    Racial passives have a very small effect on your effectiveness in any role and you can always just change gear/traits/enchants to make up for a stat that you feel you're lacking in.

Having a "non-meta" race can even be a benefit. For example I've seen people who play magicka Bosmers say that the extra stamina regen meant they could roll dodge as much as they wanted to. To them this helped their survivability especially if playing solo.

Honestly just play any race, class, and role you want to. If someone makes a rude comment they're a min-maxing tryhard and you can either ignore them or block if you feel that's necessary.
  • hafgood
    hafgood
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could just create a new character using a race you feel is more appropriate?