Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

This patch made Xbox unplayable with crashing

• NinchiTV
    NinchiTV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is just sad, your cant even run the game on your publisher's next gen consoles. [snip]

[edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on September 27, 2021 10:12AM
  • jackiemanuel
    jackiemanuel
    ✭✭✭
    It is indeed sad.
    I just hooked up my one x to finish the dailies because I've crashed so much tonight, and while I did get through the dungeon without crashing - my god was the performance horrible. it's possible it's just that I'm now used to 60fps but the game played way worse on the one x tonight than it did six months ago.
  • Jaavaa
    Jaavaa
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

Speek to us. When will we get a fix for this?
  • nuttylittlegoth
    nuttylittlegoth
    Soul Shriven
    This cost me a skin and a first clear on vhof last Thursday. Game closed in execute, I loaded back in time to have everyone tell me they’d just killed it. Absolutely ridiculous
  • Tharonil
    Tharonil
    ✭✭✭
    I've had 5 crashes yesterday, but it could have been more.

I have avoided nearly all teleports and instance entrances, because I was in a few undaunted queues and didn't want to start the group search again and again.

I hope a fix is coming soon.
  • Lucozade85
    Lucozade85
    ✭✭✭
    Would probably have been fixed by now if the issue was on PC.
  • Davedipy04
    Im crashing so many times with both series consoles. People keep saying "clear ur saved data" or "play in fidelity mode" and nothing works. I'm redownloading eso on my og xbone that I had stored in my closet lol. So we'll see if that does anything...
    Xbox NA: 1600cp
    PC NA: 1150cp
    PvP Healer
  • SkadiMZ
    SkadiMZ
    ✭✭✭
    I know when events get cut short by maintenance or an achievement is glitched, people jump to "we deserve something free!" and I typically never agree with that mentality because it's essentially just a free event or a small portion of the game we missed out on.

This is different. Starting with being unplayable on Wednesday, this will be day 6 of being completely unplayable. This bug has made ESO+ an actual waste of money.

I've never considered reporting a company before, heck, this is the first forum I've ever joined and it was because I wanted to report this issue (to a lesser extent than present day) back in August. There has to be a way to report ZOS to someone because we've now lost nearly a week of a product we paid for in advance. I wish Karen was here to lend some guidance.
    Edited by SkadiMZ on September 27, 2021 12:56PM
  • REiiGN15
    REiiGN15
    ✭✭✭
    Without still having my Xbox One X, besides ZOS support, I wouldn't be able to move my characters. I love the game on Series X but I make the mistake of going to my houses and it crashes in a second to dashboard. The Xbox One X doesn't and lets me actually play the game without crashes.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So that Blackwood event is starting Thursday, and Silent Halls is still bugged with no response or even indication of resolution before then.
  • xiphactinus
    xiphactinus
    ✭✭✭
    New update,

The one character that was playable is now crashing to desktop on the loading screen getting into game, stuck in reapers march. She was good from lvl 35 to 49 but is now dead in the water literally as I was swimming at the time.
    Now the game is completely unplayable as I don't want to risk any of my other characters (which were also crashing).

Where is ZOS on this? I can't even write what I think because it'll be snipped in no time at all...Be great if they could act that quickly to fix the game!

Absolutely disgusted. Looks like none of us will be able to complete the event that’s due in a few days.

ZOS/Bethesda you will not get another penny out of me as long as I draw breath. Fix the game!
  • markulrich1966
    markulrich1966
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last time people were that upset, was when the inventory system was extremely bugged.

It finally took 2 months until it was fixed.
    Reason for the delay was, that patches require to go through a costly certification process by Microsoft, so they waited for the next DLC release for the patch.

In general, the minimal wait time between 2 patches is 2 weeks, as the patching follows the PC rules concerning Stadia.
    This would mean, it would take a minimum of 1 additional week to wait (as 1 week passed already).

But as the issue has to be identified first, and we have no confirmation it already was, one would expect 1 week plus again 2 weeks, as the patch will have to be submitted to certification. This would be 3 weeks. But that's not all.

My personal guess is, that it might not be fixed before the Deadlands DLC, to avoid another costly certification (5 weeks until release on xbox I think).

So in case you can access an old xbox system temporarily, it might be the only solution to be able to play for the next few weeks for now.
    Edited by markulrich1966 on September 27, 2021 2:10PM
  • SASQUATCH0
    SASQUATCH0
    ✭✭✭✭
    Last time people were that upset, was when the inventory system was extremely bugged.

Reason for the delay was, that patches require to go through a costly certification process by Microsoft, so they waited for the next DLC release for the patch.

In general, the minimal wait time between 2 patches is 2 weeks, as the patching follows the PC rules concerning Stadia.
    This would mean, it would take a minimum of 1 additional week to wait (as 1 week passed already).

But as the issue has to be identified first, and we have no confirmation it already was, one would expect 1 week plus again 2 weeks, as the patch will have to be submitted to certification. This would be 3 weeks. But that's not all.

My personal guess is, that it might not be fixed before the Deadlands DLC, to avoid another costly certification (5 weeks until release on xbox I think).

There’s no way they can keep the game like this for another month. Sad part is you are probably right!
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SASQUATCH0 wrote: »

There’s no way they can keep the game like this for another month. Sad part is you are probably right!

Yeah, if it were just crashing, it would be an inconvenience, and they could probably hold off. But players are literally being stuck in crash loops where they cannot log in on characters because the game crashes immediately. This has to be fixed sooner rather than later.
  • npuk
    npuk
    ✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    So that Blackwood event is starting Thursday, and Silent Halls is still bugged with no response or even indication of resolution before then.

Could have been worse, the event could have started last week before we knew there was an issue with Silent Halls and got a whole platform stuck in there.

The Sacrificial Warriors GMXbox One EU:18x CP Chars (2300+ CP)Xbox One NA: 3x CP Chars (800+ CP)Xbox One (alt) EU:5x CP Chars (1500+ CP)Xbox One (alt 2) EU:1x CP Chars (450+ CP)PC EU: 1x CP Char (400+ CP)
  • morchand23
    morchand23
    ✭✭
  • HugoG92
    HugoG92
    ✭✭✭
    All this bad publicity could be avoided by just keeping us posted about this problem. Is it really that hard or much to ask for? @zos
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Hey everyone, we have an update on the Xbox Series X/S crashes. We know this has been very frustrating for everyone who experiences it and we didn’t want to give an update until we knew what was causing the crashes. We now know what is going on and have identified a fix that is going through internal testing.

Our plan is to get this to you as soon as possible. However, because this is a client fix, we must go through a full certification pass with Microsoft. This means the soonest we are able to implement this change is next Wednesday, October 6. We know this news is disappointing but we are doing everything we can to make sure you all are able to get back to playing as quickly as possible. Please know we are already discussing how to best make this up to our Xbox Series X/S players, particularly for the upcoming Bounties of Blackwood event. Thanks again for your ongoing patience and understanding here.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • SASQUATCH0
    SASQUATCH0
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bruh
  • rossi789
    rossi789
    ✭✭
    Shambles
  • Jarrods32
    Jarrods32
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno
    Thanks for the update but can u also take into consideration, the cost of eso plus that is pretty much unusable, the fact cant complete trial, and cant stay is cyrodil long enough to get tier one on each toon for transmutes in 4 days, it's not just the event but everything game wide that cant be completed , can that also be considered on the reimbursement ideas u all come up with cause I alone am going to miss out on 8 toons worth of transmutes, so 400 transmutes for tier one on all that i can not do cause i dc every 2 mins in cyrodil and end up having to re que
  • ClawOfTheTwoMoons
    ClawOfTheTwoMoons
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is a joke. I don't even play on console and I'm angry at how this is being handled. People are litearlly paying monthly for a broken product
  • Dolphinsgal
    Dolphinsgal
    ✭✭✭
    Hey everyone, we have an update on the Xbox Series X/S crashes. We know this has been very frustrating for everyone who experiences it and we didn’t want to give an update until we knew what was causing the crashes. We now know what is going on and have identified a fix that is going through internal testing.

Our plan is to get this to you as soon as possible. However, because this is a client fix, we must go through a full certification pass with Microsoft. This means the soonest we are able to implement this change is next Wednesday, October 6. We know this news is disappointing but we are doing everything we can to make sure you all are able to get back to playing as quickly as possible. Please know we are already discussing how to best make this up to our Xbox Series X/S players, particularly for the upcoming Bounties of Blackwood event. Thanks again for your ongoing patience and understanding here.

Thank you for the update, however this also means that those of us with this issue will most likely miss a full week or more of your blackwood event. @ZOS_GinaBruno
    Edited by Dolphinsgal on September 27, 2021 7:28PM
  • jackiemanuel
    jackiemanuel
    ✭✭✭
    Well I appreciate the update(after a week of complaining) but seeing that zos is owned by Microsoft can't this thing be expedited? Good grief. What we get for being screwed out of the event better be worthwhile. You will spark another outrage of the solution is 500 crowns or something similar.
    [snip]

But again, thanks for the update.

[edited for discussion of disciplinary actions]
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on September 27, 2021 8:01PM
  • D14_Diabolos
    D14_Diabolos
    ✭✭

Any chance you could advice what causes the issue? Just so if there was something we could do (e.g. try running Fidelity mode etc) to avoid the crashes?
  • Tharonil
    Tharonil
    ✭✭✭

Thank you for your response :smile:

I'm looking forward to the patch day :cookie:
  • xepidemiikxxb14_ESO
    Honestly anything less then giving players free ESO Plus days would be an insult. You have people paying for ESO plus and they can't play for over 2 weeks. That is why people are frustrated.
  • jackiemanuel
    jackiemanuel
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno Thanks again for the update, but if you guys were "doing everything we can to make sure you all are able to get back to playing as quickly as possible" you'd be working something out with MS on certification. They own your company after all. Why on earth would MS make it's own company wait the customary week when they have to power to do otherwise?

Edited by jackiemanuel on September 27, 2021 8:13PM
  • dissonance_ESO
    I really appreciate that we're getting an update, but I'd really like to understand better exactly what the delay is with certification.

Microsoft and Sony have both offered same-day certification processes for several years. This may involve a nominal fee (which I'd assume can be waived or reimbursed in this case given ownership), but it's puzzling that a big, established game like ESO requires 10 days for cert when little indie publishers are on record talking about how fast same-day cert was for them.

Even outside of the same-day cert process, standard SLA for cert caps at three business days. That means a patch submitted for cert today would have ample time to reach players before the weekend.

I'm not sure what's tacking on the extra time, but as far as I know it can't exclusively be cert the way this is presented. If anyone reads this, it'd really help build credibility in a frustrated player base if we could get a slightly longer breakdown of where the unplayable time goes — some elements of said player base might even be able to help apply pressure for any institutional changes needed. As it is, this doesn't read favorably when there's plenty of documented cases of cert taking way less than ten days.
    Edited by dissonance_ESO on September 27, 2021 8:59PM
  • jackiemanuel
    jackiemanuel
    ✭✭✭
    I really appreciate that we're getting an update, but I'd really like to understand better exactly what the delay is with certification.

Microsoft and Sony have both offered same-day certification processes for several years. This may involve a nominal fee (which I'd assume can be waived or reimbursed in this case given ownership), but it's puzzling that a big, established game like ESO requires 10 days for cert when little indie publishers are on record talking about how fast same-day cert was for them.

Even outside of the same-day cert process, standard SLA for cert caps at three business days. That means a patch submitted for cert today would have ample time to reach players before the weekend.

I'm not sure what's tacking on the extra time, but as far as I know it can't exclusively be cert the way this is presented. If anyone reads this, it'd really help build credibility in a frustrated player base if we could get a slightly longer breakdown of where the unplayable time goes — some elements of said player base might even be able to help apply pressure for any institutional changes needed. As it is, this doesn't read favorably when there's plenty of documented cases of cert taking way less than ten days.

Yes! Everything he said. As an aside, I just logged into YouTube and seeing all the eso channels building hype for the event really gets my blood boiling. I too would like to understand why this will take a week. I have my suspicions and they're not flattering of zos but I'll give them a chance to respond.
This discussion has been closed.