Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

This patch made Xbox unplayable with crashing

• mhrenub17_ESO
    mhrenub17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Trenia wrote: »
    Raiding on fidelity mode is not an option for any type of endgame team. You can’t light attack or chain adds. Fidelity performs so poorly on the series x it is confusing as to why it even exists.

Have you actually tried it? Interestingly, it seems very “jumpy” when first switching to it BUT it does much better than you might expect over time.

I’ve parsed on the 21M dummy using it as well and I don’t see any of the issues with missing light attacks, etc that you mentioned (I hit right at 100k dps and the different mode didn’t change that one way or another). So YES, it takes some getting used to but try a trial with it and I think you will be surprised how you can see some benefits and it’s not like you say….

Note: I still prefer “performance mode” but give “Fidelity” more than a few minutes before you write it off completely.
  • Akali
    Akali
    ✭✭
    Hey everyone, we have an update on the Xbox Series X/S crashes. We know this has been very frustrating for everyone who experiences it and we didn’t want to give an update until we knew what was causing the crashes. We now know what is going on and have identified a fix that is going through internal testing.

Our plan is to get this to you as soon as possible. However, because this is a client fix, we must go through a full certification pass with Microsoft. This means the soonest we are able to implement this change is next Wednesday, October 6. We know this news is disappointing but we are doing everything we can to make sure you all are able to get back to playing as quickly as possible. Please know we are already discussing how to best make this up to our Xbox Series X/S players, particularly for the upcoming Bounties of Blackwood event. Thanks again for your ongoing patience and understanding here.

Appreciate the update, and it is very good news something has been identified.

I really don't want to miss any of the event though because if you new the sweating I did working out how to, and logging in daily, to get my two tickets these last two events, suffering imperial city with no clue, just for a ticket - patiently awaiting the next event so I could get the mount lol (the unstable polymorph combo thingy) at that point I didn't even know I could not get it last event, because I'm... Generally clueless.

I really don;t want to miss my chance to get the mount I;ve really invested time into those tickets lol
  • jackiemanuel
    jackiemanuel
    ✭✭✭
    Akali wrote: »
    Hey everyone, we have an update on the Xbox Series X/S crashes. We know this has been very frustrating for everyone who experiences it and we didn’t want to give an update until we knew what was causing the crashes. We now know what is going on and have identified a fix that is going through internal testing.

Our plan is to get this to you as soon as possible. However, because this is a client fix, we must go through a full certification pass with Microsoft. This means the soonest we are able to implement this change is next Wednesday, October 6. We know this news is disappointing but we are doing everything we can to make sure you all are able to get back to playing as quickly as possible. Please know we are already discussing how to best make this up to our Xbox Series X/S players, particularly for the upcoming Bounties of Blackwood event. Thanks again for your ongoing patience and understanding here.

Appreciate the update, and it is very good news something has been identified.

I really don't want to miss any of the event though because if you new the sweating I did working out how to, and logging in daily, to get my two tickets these last two events, suffering imperial city with no clue, just for a ticket - patiently awaiting the next event so I could get the mount lol (the unstable polymorph combo thingy) at that point I didn't even know I could not get it last event, because I'm... Generally clueless.

I really don;t want to miss my chance to get the mount I;ve really invested time into those tickets lol

I feel your pain but it ain't gonna happen. Plan accordingly. Or I guess try to do the event and pray you don't disconnect until after you get what you want.
  • SkadiMZ
    SkadiMZ
    ✭✭✭
    Things that should be considered when determining how to make this up to Xbox X/S players:

- This will have gone on for 2 weeks by the time the fix is implemented. That's long enough to push someone to another game. This should be looked at as a retention effort, not an amends.

- Missing out on the daily tickets for a week has lasting impact on what players can obtain through the event. Not just this one, but any upcoming events because of missed tickets.

- WE ARE LOSING OUT ON HALF THE MONEY WE SPENT ON ESO+ FOR THIS MONTH. If you bought a pack of cookies at the store, opened them and saw that only half of them were in the package, you would return them for a full refund, would you not?
  • jackiemanuel
    jackiemanuel
    ✭✭✭
    Raiding on fidelity mode is not an option for any type of endgame team. You can’t light attack or chain adds. Fidelity performs so poorly on the series x it is confusing as to why it even exists.

Have you actually tried it? Interestingly, it seems very “jumpy” when first switching to it BUT it does much better than you might expect over time.

I’ve parsed on the 21M dummy using it as well and I don’t see any of the issues with missing light attacks, etc that you mentioned (I hit right at 100k dps and the different mode didn’t change that one way or another). So YES, it takes some getting used to but try a trial with it and I think you will be surprised how you can see some benefits and it’s not like you say….

Note: I still prefer “performance mode” but give “Fidelity” more than a few minutes before you write it off completely.

Are you saying that the game isn't crashing for you? on series x with fidelity mode?
  • FangOfTheTwoMoons
    FangOfTheTwoMoons
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really appreciate that we're getting an update, but I'd really like to understand better exactly what the delay is with certification.

Microsoft and Sony have both offered same-day certification processes for several years. This may involve a nominal fee (which I'd assume can be waived or reimbursed in this case given ownership), but it's puzzling that a big, established game like ESO requires 10 days for cert when little indie publishers are on record talking about how fast same-day cert was for them.

Even outside of the same-day cert process, standard SLA for cert caps at three business days. That means a patch submitted for cert today would have ample time to reach players before the weekend.

I'm not sure what's tacking on the extra time, but as far as I know it can't exclusively be cert the way this is presented. If anyone reads this, it'd really help build credibility in a frustrated player base if we could get a slightly longer breakdown of where the unplayable time goes — some elements of said player base might even be able to help apply pressure for any institutional changes needed. As it is, this doesn't read favorably when there's plenty of documented cases of cert taking way less than ten days.

Ah yes more transparency would be nice.

Players won't even be compensated for this either which is the saddest part.
  • shalalaA7X
    shalalaA7X
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno thank you for an update. Is there anything that can help minimize the amount of DC in the meantime (settings/options etc) ?
    Edited by shalalaA7X on September 27, 2021 10:44PM
  • Aektann
    Aektann
    ✭✭✭
    Ok ZOS. Why «another game» able to make hotfixes with «client patch» 2-3 hours after update on both consoles? But you need some «certification» thing?
  • Trenia
    Trenia
    ✭✭✭

Yes. I have tried to do brp with it. It is unplayable on any type of competitive level.
  • Dolphinsgal
    Dolphinsgal
    ✭✭✭
    Go to Microsoft's xbox twitter and complain there, the more of us who do that the quicker Microsoft will know there is an issue and more likely a fix will be pushed through quicker. (This is according to a Microsoft customer service agent from a call that was made in redguard to this issue)
    Edited by Dolphinsgal on September 27, 2021 11:41PM
  • jackiemanuel
    jackiemanuel
    ✭✭✭
    Go to Microsoft's xbox twitter and complain there, the more of us who do that the quicker Microsoft will know there is an issue and more likely a fix will be pushed through quicker. (This is according to a Microsoft customer service agent from a call that was made in redguard to this issue)

I did this over the weekend and the update came today. Not saying it's because of me but I put consistent pressure on social media. It creates urgency in my business. No reason to think it won't here. I plan to resume tomorrow if there's not a satisfactory explanation of the long wait. Needless to say I do not believe the reason we were given but will wait for an explanation. For now.
  • blkjag
    blkjag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Us PlayStation people feel your pain
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the update. Any reasonable player knows it's not as simple as just pushing out an update. It's going to be hard to get to next Wednesday but stuff happens.
    I drink and I stream things.
    Twitch: DrSlaughtr
    YouTube: DrSlaughtr
    Facebook: DrSlaughtr
    Twitter: DrSlaughtr
    TikTok: DrSlaughtr
  • alcoraptor
    alcoraptor
    ✭✭✭
    A week long certification process? To certify what exactly? Certainly not that the game is free of issues or crashes...
    Praise Vivec! You were there to stop Alexandra Conele from capturing the coral heart!
  • GhostwheelGames
    GhostwheelGames
    Soul Shriven

Thanks for update. Luckily I still have my xbox1x and hooked it back up so I could keep playing.
  • jackiemanuel
    jackiemanuel
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for update. Luckily I still have my xbox1x and hooked it back up so I could keep playing.

I take it you weren't playing on performance mode on series x? Because when i hooked up my old xbox the frame rate made me dizzy and aiming was extremely difficult.
  • Jameson18
    Jameson18
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I take it you weren't playing on performance mode on series x? Because when i hooked up my old xbox the frame rate made me dizzy and aiming was extremely difficult.

Non series Xbox really sucks right now.
  • Amarand
    Amarand
    Soul Shriven
    Replying here. Xbox Series X. Current version of the game, all DLC, ESO Plus, loads of bugs and crashes since the update, although the crashes are obviously the most annoying part. XBOX NA Megaserver.

Please let me know if you need any video or crash dumps (is that a thing with Xbox games?) of my crashes.

Thanks!
  • Amarand
    Amarand
    Soul Shriven

Is there a workaround - for example, are the crashes related to video/audio settings, something we can disable, an area we can avoid, or...whatever. As a tech support person, the first thing I wonder is: is there a way to keep playing, while avoid certain settings/behaviors while we wait for the client patch next week?

Thanks!
  • xilfxlegion
    xilfxlegion
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you saying that the game isn't crashing for you? on series x with fidelity mode?

i switched to fidelity mode and it is still crashing, just not as much. but still far too much
  • ellmarie
    ellmarie
    ✭✭✭
    Um, then can't they delay the bounties? I just crashed four times in the last 10 mins. It'll be pretty upsetting to not participate in the bounties this weekend!
    Xbox X- NA
  • Blinx
    Blinx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too switched to fidelity mode, and have less crashes, but I find fidelity mode a bit disorienting... not a happy camper, am playing a lot less
  • Jarrods32
    Jarrods32
    ✭✭✭
    From my understanding microsoft will refund u on eso, or at least eso plus for the month if u own a series console
  • dissonance_ESO
    Anecdotally: BGs crash a lot more, scrying or fishing in Arteum crashes a lot less. Loading screens seem connected to either immediate or near-future crashes, which makes me suspect that the problem is related to assets being read from disk, which in turn makes a bit of sense in the context of new console specificity given memory architecture is one of the big "features" of enhancement patches. (And to be fair, when it's working well the load time reductions are *awesome*)

Given the patch notes for the patch that broke things doesn't mention anything about graphics settings, the problem being specific to something in performance mode seems less likely--but still plausible given how many changes happened there for (again very awesome when it's all working well) dynamic scaling.
  • Amarand
    Amarand
    Soul Shriven
    alcoraptor wrote: »
    A week long certification process? To certify what exactly? Certainly not that the game is free of issues or crashes...

*Looks Around* This IS a Bethesda forum, isn't it? :D
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So basically those of us who purchased the new console to compensate for how poorly the game played on older consoles, are going to miss out on half of the event. And that's best case scenario assuming that the update fixes the current issue AND doesn't create any new issues. Awesome.
    "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • HappyTheCamper
    HappyTheCamper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just got my new Series X delivered. Played through the wonderful performance mode, ran through 2/3rds of black drake Villa before being kicked 4 times (the final time permanently.)

If only ZOS had easy connections to Microsoft to streamline the archaic certification system.
  • jackiemanuel
    jackiemanuel
    ✭✭✭
    This belongs on the first page. I had the same disconnects every half hour again yesterday. As did numerous people I tried to do the pledges with, to no avail. Couldn't get through them.
  • Jarrods32
    Jarrods32
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know when we suppose to recieve additional info on the situation
  • Jarrods32
    Jarrods32
    ✭✭✭
    In my opinion an issue like this should be acknowledged, and updated info should be given every other day if not daily. This issue is affecting all of series console player base
    @ZOS_GinaBruno
This discussion has been closed.