Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Hrothgar's nerfed to 13% from 26% of phys/sp resist damage done

• YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    PTS is down for maintenance... how are people testing this in-game?
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fhritz wrote: »
    jaws343 wrote: »
    Fhritz wrote: »
    13% BUT it ignores spell resist, keep that in mind

Yeah, I just saw that in the tooltip. Interesting change? I wonder if it already ignored Spell Resist and they are just now putting in the tooltip. That could explain why it was already hitting so hard.

I still think 13% may be a bit too low. 18-20% seems like the sweet spot imo.

Yeah, but you know ZoS : it's all or nothing

Sometimes quite literally all or nothing...

Stares at Mistform
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PTS is down for maintenance... how are people testing this in-game?

It's not on PTS
  • taugrim
    taugrim
    ✭✭✭✭
    13% means that it will more or less hit for 4,29 (but if they also fixed calculations it should hit for 2.1K max).

From a couple BGs this morning, I can confirm that the damage was in the mid 4-digit range. So mid 4k sounds about right.
    PC | NA | CP 2.2k
    • Active: Dark Elf Stamina Templar | Dark Elf Stamina Necromancer
    • Inactive: Dark Elf Stamina Arcanist | Nord Stamina Warden | Orc Stamina Sorceror | Nord Stamina Nightblade | Nord Stamina Dragonknight
    BUILDS ADDONS AUTHORED GUILDS:
    • Ankle Biters | Legends Syndicate (PVP) | Moonlit Shenanigans | Song of Broken Pines (PVP) | Ulfhednar (PVP)
  • taugrim
    taugrim
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rhaegar75 wrote: »
    I'm not using Hrotgar (I'm farming it lol...well...was farming it) but most people I've played with/against so far haven't noticed any big shift....

Word is getting out.

Prices for Hrothgar weapons is plummeting. I got out of that market already.
    PC | NA | CP 2.2k
    • Inactive: Dark Elf Stamina Arcanist | Nord Stamina Warden | Orc Stamina Sorceror | Nord Stamina Nightblade | Nord Stamina Dragonknight
    • Ankle Biters | Legends Syndicate (PVP) | Moonlit Shenanigans | Song of Broken Pines (PVP) | Ulfhednar (PVP)
  • Fhritz
    Fhritz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In BG the proc does WAY less damage, i can guarantee you
    I'm a single character man.
    Stamblade. Khajiit. Mostly pvp.
    And...that's it.
  • xxslam48xxb14_ESO
    xxslam48xxb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huh, if I didn't read it hear I wouldn't have even known. I am still slapping people down with it just fine. Lmao a 50% nerf though, zos is truly silly.
    I wrote a poem that I titled, "The ganker's delight."

As you lay upon the ground, cry not little pawn.
    The pain will pass as quickly as my blade did take you,
    but my delight will last and you will respawn.
    My heart simply cannot contain my joy, when I ply my trade.

The fault lies with you, your skill was lacking.
    Now your salt is mine forever, can't you hear the laughing?
    Once you were so proud and now you are reduced to this.
    A miserable, loud deuced fool.

With every tear you drip, with every excuse you let slip.
    All of your insecurities and worries bring a smile to my lip.
    From your despair I have ripped endless glories,
    but our affair is over now. Be afraid for I will return for more.

I have received many titles, to my allies I am The sniper Emperor and Grand champion hero of the Pact. However these titles mean little to me, it is the ones given to me by my victims that I prefer. To them I am "Xv1er", "trash", "no balls", "zerger", "noob", "cringe", "no skill", "camper", "100% new", "the reason this game is dying", "pathetic", "a sack of piece of [snip]", "mediocre", "absolute inbred", "beyond a virgin", "ganky dork", "fat smelly 40yr old virgin", "little girl", "daddy", "exploiting loser", and every [snipped] word known to man.
  • TimeDazzler
    TimeDazzler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno this is not in the patch notes.
    PC NA
    Characters:
    Tımë Ðâzzlër - Stamina Warden - AD
    Tımë Ðâzzłër - Magicka Nightblade - AD
    Tımë Ðâzzłêr - Stamina Templar - AD
    Sugar Deady - Magicka Necromancer - AD
    Sprint v X - Stamina Sorcerer - EP
    Tımë Ðâzzlër Ðk - Stamina Dragonknight - EP
    Time Dazzler - Magicka Warden - DC
  • gamma71
    gamma71
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why do they even have a pts server or forum they don't listen to anything. The live server is the pts in reality. Push crap thru first then with out listening to anybody put it on live and then after pages of complaints try to "fix" there mistakes its mind boggling.
  • Abyssmol
    Abyssmol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool, so now it will hit for 14.5k instead of 27k. That's still an insane amount of damage for doing nothing.

27k? Is this an exaggeration? The max I got hit was for ~9k. Usually my death recap is 4k to 5k.
  • xxslam48xxb14_ESO
    xxslam48xxb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it actually stronger then it was before some how? I am absolutely wrecking with it still. The aoe part seems to be weak now, but the single target is still knocking tanklets down.
    I wrote a poem that I titled, "The ganker's delight."

As you lay upon the ground, cry not little pawn.
    The pain will pass as quickly as my blade did take you,
    but my delight will last and you will respawn.
    My heart simply cannot contain my joy, when I ply my trade.

The fault lies with you, your skill was lacking.
    Now your salt is mine forever, can't you hear the laughing?
    Once you were so proud and now you are reduced to this.
    A miserable, loud deuced fool.

With every tear you drip, with every excuse you let slip.
    All of your insecurities and worries bring a smile to my lip.
    From your despair I have ripped endless glories,
    but our affair is over now. Be afraid for I will return for more.

I have received many titles, to my allies I am The sniper Emperor and Grand champion hero of the Pact. However these titles mean little to me, it is the ones given to me by my victims that I prefer. To them I am "Xv1er", "trash", "no balls", "zerger", "noob", "cringe", "no skill", "camper", "100% new", "the reason this game is dying", "pathetic", "a sack of piece of [snip]", "mediocre", "absolute inbred", "beyond a virgin", "ganky dork", "fat smelly 40yr old virgin", "little girl", "daddy", "exploiting loser", and every [snipped] word known to man.
  • J18696
    J18696
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont know what people you are fighting to think this set is stronger now than it was before but all this set needed was for the aoe bug to get fixed instead it was nerfed based off bugged numbers currently this set deals so little dmg it's pretty much a waste of inventory space if you don't want this set tobe another one of those irrelivant sets no one ever runs again id suggest putting it back to its old value
    Edited by J18696 on September 21, 2021 2:54AM
    PC NA Server
    @J18696
    Characters
    Pridē - Dragonknight
    Vanıty - Arcanist
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Hey all, apologies for the missed patch note for this item set. There was just some miscommunication and leaving out the change wasn't intentional. We'll get this added to the patch note thread now but for visibility, here is the full change:
    • Hrothgar's Chill:
      • This item set now deals 13% of the added Physical and Spell Resistance on the initial target, down from 26%.
      • This set now ignores mitigation on all targets to ensure it remains a potent tank punishing set.
      • Fixed an issue where the explosion damage of this set was not being affected by Battle Spirit.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • jerj6925
    jerj6925
    ✭✭✭✭
    People demand Hrothgar's set be nerfed because its a no skill set to kill people while using it... yet bombers in the game can kille 1, 5, 10, 15, 30+ people instantly not because of the armor sets because all those people were playing dumb... but not the people who die to Hrothgars... they are smart players who die because of no skill armor.
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Abyssmol wrote: »
    Cool, so now it will hit for 14.5k instead of 27k. That's still an insane amount of damage for doing nothing.

27k? Is this an exaggeration? The max I got hit was for ~9k. Usually my death recap is 4k to 5k.

27k might be exagerrated a bit, but I got plenty of 12k to 21k recaps.

But yeah, I played several games today and I can say that this set was fixed, from my experience.
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    jerj6925 wrote: »
    People demand Hrothgar's set be nerfed because its a no skill set to kill people while using it... yet bombers in the game can kille 1, 5, 10, 15, 30+ people instantly not because of the armor sets because all those people were playing dumb... but not the people who die to Hrothgars... they are smart players who die because of no skill armor.

The last buff to Vicious Death put that set over the edge but before that it actually took quite a bit of skill to be a successful bomber.

Yes, there are the classic "Bomb the PvE'ers on the resource flag during Midyear Mayhem" opportunist-type bombers but legitimately good bombers are creative with their bombing and know how to catch even highly organized groups that are taking precautions off-guard. Your average Midyear Mayhem bomber simply can't do that. And I say this as a non-bomber and as someone who obviously hates to die to bombers. But you play long enough and you come to know who the good bombers are you come to respect their craft.

On the other hand... these new sets are, as I've said before, the Noob Tube of ESO. All you need to do is press one button from range during a moment of lag and you can wipe whomever you please. There's nothing to respect in that.
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jerj6925 wrote: »

Well bombers don't run 35k heavy tanks that still kill people with the proc.
  • Larcomar
    Larcomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feels like a pretty sledgehammer nerf. I mean, not saying the set didn't need a nerf, but knocking a straight 50% off so woon after release seems like an admission they got something badly wrong. How are people finding it now, or has it already been deconned?
  • taugrim
    taugrim
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey all, apologies for the missed patch note for this item set. There was just some miscommunication and leaving out the change wasn't intentional. We'll get this added to the patch note thread now but for visibility, here is the full change:
    • Hrothgar's Chill:
      • This item set now deals 13% of the added Physical and Spell Resistance on the initial target, down from 26%.
      • This set now ignores mitigation on all targets to ensure it remains a potent tank punishing set.
      • Fixed an issue where the explosion damage of this set was not being affected by Battle Spirit.

And there we go! That 3rd bullet was one of the things we suspected may not have been working when the set was released.

Thanks Gina for the update!

The change to Hrothgar's is very healthy for PVP in terms of balance. Now Hrothgar's is worth slotting, but not faceroll OP like it was previously.
    Edited by taugrim on September 21, 2021 1:51PM
    PC | NA | CP 2.2k
  • Marcus_Aurelius
    Marcus_Aurelius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For people saying this is a 50% nerf, I think you should read again and don't skip this line this time:
    "This set now ignores mitigation on all targets to ensure it remains a potent tank punishing set"
  • Olen_Mikko
    Olen_Mikko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, no more free kills and sets doing the work for ya. People have to l2p again.
    NB enthusiastic:
    1. Woodhippie stamblade - DW hard-hitter / PvE
    2. Know-it-all elf Magblade - Healer / PvE & PvP
    3. Hate-them-all elf Magblade - Destrostaff AoE monster / PvE
    4. Cyrodiil-Refugee stamblade - Stamina Tank / PvE

Go dominion or go home

Nightblade-Hipster. I played Nightblade before it was cool - from 1.5 onwards.
  • vms11934
    vms11934
    ✭✭✭
    So if a tanky player is running with say 70k combined resistances, it would be a 4,004 dmg ((70K * .13)*.44) AoE. Seems like it will be able to crit now too, so maybe an average of 5.5k dmg. If they are also running with 35k+ health, this hardly seems like the tank buster set. A lot of tanks are unkillable even now without the changes. Guess everyone should just be a tank.
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vms11934 wrote: »
    So if a tanky player is running with say 70k combined resistances, it would be a 4,004 dmg ((70K * .13)*.44) AoE. Seems like it will be able to crit now too, so maybe an average of 5.5k dmg. If they are also running with 35k+ health, this hardly seems like the tank buster set. A lot of tanks are unkillable even now without the changes. Guess everyone should just be a tank.

Because it was never a tank buster set. It was buster of squishies that are in 8m near the tank :)
  • vms11934
    vms11934
    ✭✭✭
    divnyi wrote: »

Because it was never a tank buster set. It was buster of squishies that are in 8m near the tank :)

Well, that would be odd: sets to indirectly damage those who are already susceptible to damage anyway. How about a set that does an AoE that does damage not based on the resistances of who the AoE is hitting but rather based on the resistances of who was initially hit. In other words, a set that is a buster of tanks for being near a squishy. Or better yet, let's just have sets that make sense and directly target a certain type of build.
  • DJfriede
    DJfriede
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't forget the last part of the changes:

So it's potentially 70k * 0.13 = 9.1k plus crit damage
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Due to the way the damage for Hrothgar scales, it will not be able to crit. Crit only works for proc sets that have damage scaling from mag/stam, weapon/spell damage. And only those that scale that way and not with other things, like number of players in an area.

They even list all of the sets that will crit in the PTS patch notes.

Hrothgar will not be one of them.
    Edited by jaws343 on September 22, 2021 1:41PM
  • vms11934
    vms11934
    ✭✭✭

Due to the way the damage for Hrothgar scales, it will not be able to crit. Crit only works for proc sets that have damage scaling from mag/stam, weapon/spell damage. And only those that scale that way and not with other things, like number of players in an area.

I expect Dark Convergence won't be able to crit because the damage scales with how many people are in the AoE, but Hrothgar's is based on a stat just like all the others (e.g max weapon/spell damage, max health, etc). So I expect Hrothgars to be able to crit. We'll soon see though.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I expect Dark Convergence won't be able to crit because the damage scales with how many people are in the AoE, but Hrothgar's is based on a stat just like all the others (e.g max weapon/spell damage, max health, etc). So I expect Hrothgars to be able to crit. We'll soon see though.

We literally don't have to see. They listed all of the sets that will crit in the PTS notes. It's there, we already know. And they specifically already said only the weapon/spell and mag/stam scaling sets would be included. It's not a guess, it's what they said and showed.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

"Item sets that scale off Weapon Damage, Spell Damage, Max Magicka, and Max Stamina can now again Critically Strike."
    From the PTS patch notes.

PvP Sourced
    Spoiler

Affliction
    Almalexia's Mercy
    Increased the healing by approximately 17% per tick.
    Galerion's Revenge
    Reduced the damage by less than 1%.
    Stack cooldown is now 0.5 seconds instead of 1 second to meet standards.
    Kyne's Kiss
    The heal now scales off your Max Magicka or Stamina, whichever is higher, rather than a flat value. The Stamina restore is still based on the item level.
    Phoenix
    Vicecanon of Venom
    Vicious Death

No Hrothgar. No DC.
  • vms11934
    vms11934
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like I stand corrected. Thanks for the info