The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Hrothgar's nerfed to 13% from 26% of phys/sp resist damage done

Vizirith
Vizirith
✭✭✭✭
Probably over-nerfed but oh well.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think an important clarification we need is whether the scaling with multiple players that was causing larger amounts of damage than the set described was intended.

If it wasn't intended and they fixed that as well, then yeah, I think this was an overnerf. In fact, I don't even think it should have been nerfed at all if that was the case and it wasn't meant to seemingly ignore battle spirit in some instances.

But if the set is meant to apparently bypass battlespirit in some instances, then I think this falls in line with a decent proc size.

Honestly though, rarely has the set posed any issues imo. I think the only time I ever saw the set really destroy me was when a stam sorc was running it with crystal weapon and frenzied momentum. They'd heavy attack immediately followed with a streak through me and I would just explode.
  • Jameson18
    Jameson18
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    I think an important clarification we need is whether the scaling with multiple players that was causing larger amounts of damage than the set described was intended.

If it wasn't intended and they fixed that as well, then yeah, I think this was an overnerf. In fact, I don't even think it should have been nerfed at all if that was the case and it wasn't meant to seemingly ignore battle spirit in some instances.

But if the set is meant to apparently bypass battlespirit in some instances, then I think this falls in line with a decent proc size.

Honestly though, rarely has the set posed any issues imo. I think the only time I ever saw the set really destroy me was when a stam sorc was running it with crystal weapon and frenzied momentum. They'd heavy attack immediately followed with a streak through me and I would just explode.

Or... its their band-aid fix because they don't know what's wrong or how to fix it.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jameson18 wrote: »

Or... its their band-aid fix because they don't know what's wrong or how to fix it.

Sure,if true it would fall into a not meant to bypass battle spirit issue but no real fix yet solution. Which is fine, as long as they increase the damage again after they fix it.

If it stays at 13% and has none of the issues that the previous live version has, then it would be doing very ineffective damage. 13% on like 40K resists is 5200 damage, and then you need to take in damage mitigation and battle spirit. Would be lucky to do 2K damage on the proc on average resist players.
  • GoopCooper69
    GoopCooper69
    ✭✭✭
    Source?
  • Fhritz
    Fhritz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    13% BUT it ignores spell resist, keep that in mind
    I'm a single character man.
    Stamblade. Khajiit. Mostly pvp.
    And...that's it.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fhritz wrote: »

Yeah, I just saw that in the tooltip. Interesting change? I wonder if it already ignored Spell Resist and they are just now putting in the tooltip. That could explain why it was already hitting so hard.

I still think 13% may be a bit too low. 18-20% seems like the sweet spot imo.
  • Fhritz
    Fhritz
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I just saw that in the tooltip. Interesting change? I wonder if it already ignored Spell Resist and they are just now putting in the tooltip. That could explain why it was already hitting so hard.

I still think 13% may be a bit too low. 18-20% seems like the sweet spot imo.

Yeah, but you know ZoS : it's all or nothing
    And...that's it.
  • vms11934
    vms11934
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if the damage is a % of your combined physical and spell resist. The tooltip does say "dealing 26% of their total Physical Resistance and Spell Resistance." That would explain some of the very high numbers I have been hit with (or else I am being hit with the AOE of someone else's super high armor (50k+ resist).
  • J18696
    J18696
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vms11934 wrote: »
    I wonder if the damage is a % of your combined physical and spell resist. The tooltip does say "dealing 26% of their total Physical Resistance and Spell Resistance." That would explain some of the very high numbers I have been hit with (or else I am being hit with the AOE of someone else's super high armor (50k+ resist).

Yes it has always worked off both resists
    PC NA Server
    @J18696
    Characters
    Pridē - Dragonknight
    Vanıty - Arcanist
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Did ZOS change that today, nothing in the patch notes.

What is the source?
  • taugrim
    taugrim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vizirith wrote: »

Let's try it at 13% and see how it feels, before claiming it's over-nerfed.

Hrothgar's Chill was stupidly faceroll before today.

I didn't touch the set out of principle. It promoted such low-skill-but-highly-effective gameplay. Same with Dark Convergence. One player pulls, and their team mates nuke the bunch.
    PC | NA | CP 2.2k
    • Active: Dark Elf Stamina Templar | Dark Elf Stamina Necromancer
    • Inactive: Dark Elf Stamina Arcanist | Nord Stamina Warden | Orc Stamina Sorceror | Nord Stamina Nightblade | Nord Stamina Dragonknight
    BUILDS ADDONS AUTHORED GUILDS:
    • Ankle Biters | Legends Syndicate (PVP) | Moonlit Shenanigans | Song of Broken Pines (PVP) | Ulfhednar (PVP)
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    taugrim wrote: »
    Vizirith wrote: »

Let's try it at 13% and see how it feels, before claiming it's over-nerfed.

Hrothgar's Chill was stupidly faceroll before today.

I didn't touch the set out of principle. It promoted such low-skill-but-highly-effective gameplay. Same with Dark Convergence. One player pulls, and their team mates nuke the bunch.

I think the problem was it was bugged or they weren't telling us the whole story of how the set worked.

If it was bugged, then the bugs need to be fixed without a damage change so that we can see how it truly was supposed to function.

If there were underlying mechanics to its function and it was acting as intended, then sure, the 13% is fine, although I think too much of a decrease, but those underlying mechanics need to be relayed to us.

Too often, this forum gets hung up on the word nerf and uses it to describe bug fixes. Bug fixes are not nerfs.

Now this change they did could have been both a bug fix and a nerf. Which I would completely be against. Do one or the other to see how it performs afterwards, not both at the same time.
    Edited by jaws343 on September 20, 2021 3:52PM
  • Rebiludo
    Rebiludo
    ✭✭✭
    SOUUUURCE ?!
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rebiludo wrote: »
    SOUUUURCE ?!

The game tooltip.
  • Rebiludo
    Rebiludo
    ✭✭✭
    Ty. Ninja nerf ^^
    Edited by Rebiludo on September 20, 2021 4:41PM
  • Fhritz
    Fhritz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ty. Ninja nerf ^^

Honestly it's more an "balance" update more than a nerf (loot at https://i.ibb.co/FbFGgRJ/Screenshot-1.png)
    And...that's it.
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ty. Ninja nerf ^^

Honestly it's more an "balance" update more than a nerf (loot at https://i.ibb.co/FbFGgRJ/Screenshot-1.png)

Armor is not multiplied by 2 in that math. Try this:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlT6myEhHmGuj4Ptz_92bb_1jALHy4adGSh9QffYzQg/edit?usp=sharing

But ye, it looks like band-aid fix. Better than no fix honestly, so thanks at that.

I hope they will redesign the set into single-target tank-slayer set one day, that would scale from WD/SD.
  • Fhritz
    Fhritz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    divnyi wrote: »
    Ty. Ninja nerf ^^

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlT6myEhHmGuj4Ptz_92bb_1jALHy4adGSh9QffYzQg/edit?usp=sharing

But ye, it looks like band-aid fix. Better than no fix honestly, so thanks at that.

I hope they will redesign the set into single-target tank-slayer set one day, that would scale from WD/SD.

No, armor is multiplied by 2 on my graph, i can assure you ^^
    And...that's it.
  • DreadDaedroth
    DreadDaedroth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Over nerfed :s
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ty. Ninja nerf ^^

33000*2*0.26 = 17160
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as I can tell this set is supposed to add Physical & Spell resistance & then deal 26% as AOE damage. So if some one has 33K Physical & Spell resistance, then it is 33K + 33K = 66K. 66K x 26% = 17K damage.

The thing is that once you add battle spirit (50% damage reduction) and Resistance (another 50% reduction) this goes down to 4,29K damage.

But the problem is that Hrothgar is on average is hitting for 8K or more. So it is either calculation that is bugged or it ignores battle spirit or your Resistance (it acts as oblivion damage).

13% means that it will more or less hit for 4,29 (but if they also fixed calculations it should hit for 2.1K max).

It looks to me as if they were unable to fix calculations, so the halved base damage.
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on September 20, 2021 5:11PM
  • Fhritz
    Fhritz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ty. Ninja nerf ^^

33000*2*0.26 = 17160

Yes but you also need to take in count the base armor resist for the old value, and for 33k it's 50% mitigation so 33000*2*0.26*0.5 = 8580
    And...that's it.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ty. Ninja nerf ^^

33000*2*0.26 = 17160

Yes but you also need to take in count the base armor resist for the old value, and for 33k it's 50% mitigation so 33000*2*0.26*0.5 = 8580
    And battle spirit in another 50%, so it should be around 4,3K
  • taugrim
    taugrim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks to me as if they were unable to fix calculations, so the halved base damage.

I don't care how they change / fix it, so long as the damage is reasonable.
    PC | NA | CP 2.2k
    • Active: Dark Elf Stamina Templar | Dark Elf Stamina Necromancer
    • Inactive: Dark Elf Stamina Arcanist | Nord Stamina Warden | Orc Stamina Sorceror | Nord Stamina Nightblade | Nord Stamina Dragonknight
    BUILDS ADDONS AUTHORED GUILDS:
    • Ankle Biters | Legends Syndicate (PVP) | Moonlit Shenanigans | Song of Broken Pines (PVP) | Ulfhednar (PVP)
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ty. Ninja nerf ^^

It really bugs me when they don't put these things in the patch notes.
  • MalakithAlamahdi
    MalakithAlamahdi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool, so now it will hit for 14.5k instead of 27k. That's still an insane amount of damage for doing nothing.
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    anyone with live experience of Hrotgar now?
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cool, so now it will hit for 14.5k instead of 27k. That's still an insane amount of damage for doing nothing.

Definitely. This is still such an aberrant proc.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Rhaegar75 wrote: »
    anyone with live experience of Hrotgar now?
    Indeed. They probably just fixed the tooltip. Look at Hoarcrux' YouTube video. The set is weird / buggy af and hits players around the primary target hard, but not the primary target itself, by the looks of things. The damage to the primary target seemed to account for Battle Spirit already. This remains clear as mud. I bet they did nothing to fix the actual code.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0K-SQiw-kA
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not using Hrotgar (I'm farming it lol...well...was farming it) but most people I've played with/against so far haven't noticed any big shift....