Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Are PC users going to use the armory system?

richo262
richo262
✭✭✭✭✭
I can see it being popular among console users, but PC addons, from what I've read seem to be superior.

Addons vs Armory
Neither can store mundus stone
Neither can change morphs (from what I saw on the preview, waiting PTS confirmation)
Neither can change the racial passives
Both require the items to be stored in the characters inventory
Armory can hide / activate vamp/werewolf, addons cannot
Armory can change attribute points
Armory can change CP points (this becomes redundant as you gain more CP as you can buy the ones you'll want outright)
Armory can only be utilized by either leaving the area and going to your house, or by spawning an NPC
Addons can change gear/skills in trial conditions and PVP
Addons can change gear instantly out of combat at the press of a bound button
Addons do not require a slot on your quickslot dedicated to an NPC
Addons do not require spawning said NPC, and talking to him (might not sound like much, but it will become tedious over time, and occupy a quickslot)

What would make the Armory system the undisputed champion is this
1) Remove the trial/pvp limitation, or make it so in PVP you need to be out of combat and in a keep you control/spawn location.
2) Have the mundus store in the profile
3) Remove the assistant, sorry, but, it is just not required, feels like over monitisation, gotta make money, dont mind that, but making something require extra steps just to perform a task that is in many scenarios less functional than addons, it kind of makes me not want to invest in it at all.
4) Re-add this assistant as a purchasable companion at a later date if a backstory has been invested in him.
5) Instead have a 'Build' drop down menu under the 'Outfit' drop down menu, and also have these bindable to a key
6) This would be the holy grail, have it so when you purchase a build slot, it randomly also unlocks a racial trait you can swap between in the builds.
10 slots, 10 racials. I'd buy bulk slots on my characters (at least 6 of them) to unlock them all, probably make more crowns off me than an assistant. I want to make a Shalidor (Nord Mage)

Which leads to the next Update, what going to happen with all the spare characters? Sticker book made mule characters somewhat redundant, this build system seems to be making alt characters for specific roles somewhat redundant. ZOS has kind of eluded to no more classes because +3 slots on the server would be a nightmare, but if we could trade in our old redundant mules / alts for some benefit, perhaps unlocks build slots on another and increases their inventory space, that would free up space for another class on the server.
Edited by richo262 on September 18, 2021 9:18AM
  • perfiction
    perfiction
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll stick to AlphaGear + ChampionPointSlots.
    • can be used in trials/PVP as long as you're out of combat
    • one click to swap loadout (no need to summon NPC or port home to use the station)
    • 16 profiles, each can contain 16 set + skill + CP builds (can be tweaked in addon .lua to increase it even further)
    • no Clown Store involved
  • Fhritz
    Fhritz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You forgot that armory can change and respec FOR FREE ! and yes, it can change morph if you save one build with, for example stampede and another with crit rush
    I'm a single character man.
    Stamblade. Khajiit. Mostly pvp.
    And...that's it.
  • Luke_Flamesword
    Luke_Flamesword
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Neither can change morphs (from what I saw on the preview, waiting PTS confirmation)
    They said that you can change morphs :)

I also agree that special NPC is greedy move when you have to buy slots per character - I often switch builds when I running from one place to another, so addons will be much better there. It's a shame but I will still use addons more than this fancy system - probably just buy one more slot for my main to have 3 different builds for PvE, PvP and hybrid fun and the rest I will build around this 3 pillars with mods :)
    PC | EU | DC |Stam Dk Breton
  • trackdemon5512
    trackdemon5512
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn’t be surprised if the game was patched to prevent Dressing Room/Alpha Gear from working. Esp if it presents a conflict with an in-game official system.
  • gronoxvx
    gronoxvx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn’t be surprised if the game was patched to prevent Dressing Room/Alpha Gear from working. Esp if it presents a conflict with an in-game official system.

Id be curious to see this happen, but i think it would cause even more of the raiding community to go to other mmo's.

But in all honesty, nothing surprises me with zos anymore, so theyd probably derp and end up doing it.
    Edited by gronoxvx on September 18, 2021 9:12AM
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes!
  • trackdemon5512
    trackdemon5512
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    gronoxvx wrote: »

Id be curious to see this happen, but i think it would cause even more of the raiding community to go to other mmo's.

But in all honesty, nothing surprises me with zos anymore, so theyd probably derp and end up doing it.

Pretty sure ZOS has had it with catering to the smaller raiding community at the cost of gaining new players or keeping the large existing main body of players. This is arguably reflected in the continued push for hybridization, companions, set collections, etc.

You’re not running a good service if it can be held hostage by the petty wants of a select few. That’s poor management of your property. And I’m also sure that the overall transactions of the non-whales has eclipsed that of the whales with the changes to the crown store.
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As a means of free respec back and forth, yes I will use armory.

As means of switching gear and skills - no way. Armory is not even close to addons. And even with assistant, that can be bound to a keybind via more addons, much like banker/merchant, summoning the guy will unsummon companion and require stopping and talking. It will still be not even close to simply using keybind to switch entire loadout while you are riding on your horse.

And just 10 slots, come one. 8 of which are paid PER CHARACTER. My tank has entire loadout page dedicated just to monster sets alone (16 of them). Separate loadout page for just body and jewelry sets separately so I can easily switch parts of builds as I see fit, separate page for full overland setups, separate for dungeon setups, separate for trials as main tank and separate for trials as off tank, and one for pvp too... I use like at least 50 full loadouts+partial options per character. And I have a lot of characters too.
  • Thrasher91604
    Thrasher91604
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Not for only 10 slots, 8 of which cost money, and a clunky NPC interface.
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I'm pretty sure that won't happen. It never happened in these cases before. In fact, ZOS cutting off addon access is a very rare thing.

Will these addons need an update to work with the new version of the game? Probably, like most addons. But they will still be able to do their thing.

What we'll get, I think, is a combination of both. You use armoury slots for deep-level changes (like respeccing to tank for a dungeon) and continue to use an addon for quick skill/gear changes.
    And there's nothing wrong with that, and I got the impression that ZOS are totally fine with that, as well.
  • pklemming
    pklemming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wizard's Wardrobe currently surpasses Alpha gear and Dressing room and far, far surpasses the lame system being introduced by ZoS. it is like they got the general gist of what people wanted, but failed to understand why. Also, extra slots in crown store, really?! Way to help those console users.
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

There's a confirmation already that nothing would be changed, if that wasn't obvious.
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Different features for different situations, I'd be happy to change from pve to pvp or complete role swap without extra time consumption which have zero effect on my alpha gear setups that are for momentary swap of gear/skills only.
  • AinSoph
    AinSoph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Id just use it for free morph Respec and free revamp/ww, otherwise Alphagear
  • richo262
    richo262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AinSoph wrote: »
    Id just use it for free morph Respec and free revamp/ww, otherwise Alphagear

Yeah, that is pretty much what I've decided on too.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To save myself 10-15 minutes to change between a PVE setup and a PVP setup... Hell yes I'll use it.

Will it replace DR/AG in raids... no. Nor is it designed to.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    60,005 achievement points
  • Folkb
    Folkb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, you can change enough things to go from pve to pvp. Now the only downside is how well this change effects certain races over others.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not use both?

My main character is a Breton nightblade and I have played it as both a tank and as a damage dealer, depending on what is needed. For example, here I am playing my main as a tank and then later as a damage dealer.

Changing between tank and damage dealer is an expensive hassle, though...
    • Respec attributes
    • Respec CP
    • Remorph a bunch of skills
    • Change mundus and food

I change between the two roles often enough that I've made a respec-checklist, but it's still time-consuming, error-prone (forgetting a remorph a particular skill, e.g.), and expensive. That hassle is so annoying that I often avoid doing certain things on my main character because I just can't be bothered with doing that role respec. I am extremely excited by the prospect that I could now play my main in more content because of the ease of the role respec.

Now, when I'm running a trial, I'd have different gear and skill bars for each boss and for the trash pulls. So for something like HoF, I might have half a dozen different gear/bar setups that I need to swap between. The Armory won't help here, particularly since you can't even use it in a trial.

So the Armory won't replace Dressing Room, and I don't see it as an Armory vs. Dressing Room question. Armory is for doing the big, expensive, time-consuming respecs. And Dressing Room is the smaller, minor changes like gear and skill bar changes. In practical usage, they don't have that much overlap, really.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Cirantille
    Cirantille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For hiding vampirism & free respec, yes I will buy it.

I am tired of switching back and forth between PvP, PvE CPs

For changing everything else, I will stick to add on.

Buying slots is just too much.

But it is good for console players I guess.
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »
    Why not use both?

My main character is a Breton nightblade and I have played it as both a tank and as a damage dealer, depending on what is needed. For example, here I am playing my main as a tank and then later as a damage dealer.

• Respec attributes
    • Respec CP
    • Change mundus and food

I change between the two roles often enough that I've made a respec-checklist, but it's still time-consuming, error-prone (forgetting a remorph a particular skill, e.g.), and expensive. That hassle is so annoying that I often avoid doing certain things on my main character because I just can't be bothered with doing that role respec. I am extremely excited by the prospect that I could now play my main in more content because of the ease of the role respec.

Now, when I'm running a trial, I'd have different gear and skill bars for each boss and for the trash pulls. So for something like HoF, I might have half a dozen different gear/bar setups that I need to swap between. The Armory won't help here, particularly since you can't even use it in a trial.

So the Armory won't replace Dressing Room, and I don't see it as an Armory vs. Dressing Room question. Armory is for doing the big, expensive, time-consuming respecs. And Dressing Room is the smaller, minor changes like gear and skill bar changes. In practical usage, they don't have that much overlap, really.

Yeah, I think this is more geared at people who have 2 completely different specs on the same character, while also being useful for the people who want to have different variations of the same specs.

I think the reason that it's not available in a timed instance or PvP is so that it doesn't become mandatory for people participating in those activities to buy all the slots for their characters.
    The Moot Councillor
  • Chaos2088
    Chaos2088
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Will be still using addons as they are better. :)
    @Chaos2088 PC EU Server | AD-PvP
  • Calm_Fury
    Calm_Fury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As others have said, they have different usage.

I'll use both for sure.

Addons simply cannot do on-the-fly skill remorphing AND attribute remorphing like that.

Not saving the Mundus stone is a HUGE oversight, though. The system seems to take care of 90% of that big role swap, but those last 10% will still be annoying.

I'm very excited for this system, though.

Very frequently I logged into a character to do something like DPS or tank a trial, saw I had respecced for PVP or to run arenas, then simply logged out because I didn't want to go through the trouble to respec everything (can take several minutes plus I always forget something).

• tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chaos2088 wrote: »
    Will be still using addons as they are better. :)

There is no add-on that will let you change morphs/attributes/vampirism without visiting a respec shrine, paying gold, and manually doing them yourself.

For gear/skill swapping, yes, there are add-ons that do that.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    60,005 achievement points
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll probably use both and whatever is easier for what I need. I use Iakoni gear changer currently and it's really great. I look forward to trying the new armory system and if it allows me to reduce the number of addons used then even better.
  • Ballermfrau
    Ballermfrau
    ✭✭✭
    This is clearly something for consoles and casual players. The more CP and characters you have the less appealing it will be.

2 slots are fine. You can make major changes with it.

• Coatmagic
    Coatmagic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will def be using for RP if my maxed wolf and vamp lines are accessible via this new thing because THAT would just be ridiculously cool.
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As a console user I am excited for this.

My only complains is not able to use in timed events which from what I can tell is a choice by ZOS. Not really sure why they choose this route. ZOS knows add-on are used in trials for the specific reason to change from trash and boss fights. Why they choose to stop console players from doing it is beyond me.

2nd is why continue the failure of locking the upgrades to an specific character and not account wide is pure greed and a big middle finger to the console player.

Like here is something great but we are going to bleed you dry of your money and oh don't look behind the curtain at what we allow for our chosen group who gets it free with other toys we don't allow you to have.

Heck even our own Rich doesn't even use the built-in ability bar but uses add-ons instead in his own streams. So I am sure he will not completely only use the base game armory system. Hey I don't fault him for using something better but at advocate for us on the console side.

I'm the end I am very happy with ZOS for adding this but again just a little annoyed that it could be changed a little more and made that much more awesome.

Still waiting on the fix for green tree btw

Stay safe 🙂
  • Lintashi
    Lintashi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will probably use both. I main healer, and mostly need 4 setups- pve heal, pvp heal, stealth, damage dealer. I could use 2 armory slots to define 2 main types of play, like damage dealing setup, with one cp setup and one orb morph, probably even vampirism for rp, and healing setup, with different cp and healing orb morph and no vampirism. Then, using dressing room addon to add gear and skills between pvp/pve and sneak/dd. But it is very rough theorycrafting, addons beat armory in almost every cahegory, so if I will decide to use one, not both, it will be addons.
  • Remathilis
    Remathilis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me (a console pleb and filthy casual) the fact I can quickly swap a solo build, trial/dungeon build and PvP build makes this worth it. I'm never going to be able to have separate trash/boss builds, but not having to Respec my tanks or healers to solo or my main to PvP every [-]midyear [-] whitestrake is fine by me.
  • SgtPepperUK
    SgtPepperUK
    ✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »
    Why not use both?

• Respec attributes
    • Respec CP
    • Change mundus and food

This right here.

It's really not a versus issue.

The big strengths for Armory are abilities to have different morphs and attribute set ups ready to go without visiting shrines (and the associated gold cost). Changing CP also costs gold. The way it handles Vamp and WW is also going to be a boon for a lot of players.

Shame about mundus stones but many of us have access to a guild house with those, I expect most guilds will pop an Armory Station nearby. So, all I will do, is name my profiles with the name of the mundus stone I use on that set up in brackets, run to guild house, swap out profiles and grab the appropriate mundus. Easy. Way quicker(and cheaper!) than what I currently need to do if I want to swap between a DD set up and a tank one.

At the moment, I'd often rather take the extra queue time as DD for a dungeon than mess around changing to tank and having to pay gold, only to want to revert to DD after for other activities.

Will I still use a gear change add on? Sure, my Stamblade has two almost identical set ups but one is designed around Pale Order ring, the other isn't, so add ons will be good enough for that.