The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

NB Cloak update - So uh.... This is about to go live?

Jameson18
Jameson18
✭✭✭✭✭
Issues involving NB Cloaking (Shadowy Disguise update.)

https://youtu.be/64NwDU6b1q0
Edited by Jameson18 on August 18, 2021 8:47PM
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting, especially about the very very weird bugs revolving around the stealth changes. Seems they changed the rules but didn't go over every if statement causing damage from things like Fiery Breath to "stack up". This is going to make both fighting with and against a Nightblade annoying as heck.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Jameson18
    Jameson18
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vevvev wrote: »
    Interesting, especially about the very very weird bugs revolving around the stealth changes. Seems they changed the rules but didn't go over every if statement causing damage from things like Fiery Breath to "stack up". This is going to make both fighting with and against a Nightblade annoying as heck.

Agreed.
  • Jackey
    Jackey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gonna have to stock up on detection pots I guess :|
    PS | EU
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cloak is now finally good for a change.
    this will give us nightblades the proper defenses just like the other classes have.
    i hope these changes stay in place.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gilvoth wrote: »
    this will give us nightblades the proper defenses just like the other classes have.

I guess.... just..... keep in mind if you get a DK like me spamming Engulfing Flames on you that damage is stacking up behind the scenes. Hope ZOS fixes that because it can be frustrating dying instantly and seeing all this damage on the recap you could have reacted to if it all landed at the time it was cast. :grimace:
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess.... just..... keep in mind if you get a DK like me spamming Engulfing Flames on you that damage is stacking up behind the scenes. Hope ZOS fixes that because it can be frustrating dying instantly and seeing all this damage on the recap you could have reacted to if it all landed at the time it was cast. :grimace:

every class in eso has massive defenses for every form of damage in eso, Accept for us nightblades.
    nightblade class is the only class that does not have good defenses, we die on drop of a hat from a feather, everything kills us, so for this type of change it means we are brought into alignment with the other classes.
    atleast as far as defense is concerned.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

every class in eso has massive defenses for every form of damage in eso, Accept for us nightblades.
    nightblade class is the only class that does not have good defenses, we die on drop of a hat from a feather, everything kills us, so for this type of change it means we are brought into alignment with the other classes.

That's not what I was warning you about. Watch the video again when the nightblade instantly explodes from full hp after getting touched outside of cloak after Noxious Breath pulled him out of cloak a few times. In reality the damage from Noxious Breath should have applied when he was pulled out, but it didn't and instead got stored in some back log that all was dumped at once. The Nighblade couldn't defend against that massive drop of damage all at once.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's not what I was warning you about. Watch the video again when the nightblade instantly explodes from full hp after getting touched outside of cloak after Noxious Breath pulled him out of cloak a few times. In reality the damage from Noxious Breath should have applied when he was pulled out, but it didn't and instead got stored in some back log that all was dumped at once. The Nighblade couldn't defend against that massive drop of damage all at once.

i did know that, i also know that this happens allreadsy from other forms of damage we already have similar things like this happen to us nightblades.
    that is what i was trying to focus on.
  • Aldoss
    Aldoss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is posting a video without any explanation not against ToS for these forums? Not even a brief synopsis of what the issue is you're discussing?
  • Jameson18
    Jameson18
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aldoss wrote: »
    Is posting a video without any explanation not against ToS for these forums? Not even a brief synopsis of what the issue is you're discussing?

Fine. If the title and the giant thumbnail on the video isn't enough, i'll edit the post.
  • Aldoss
    Aldoss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jameson18 wrote: »

Fine. If the title and the giant thumbnail on the video isn't enough, i'll edit the post.

People aren't always in a place where they can watch a video, but might have some down time where they would like to check the forums, read up on new posts, and contribute.

I don't mind watching your video (and I will later), but it seems weird to make a forum post with no actual communication that the forum is built on (text). It makes it seem like you're not really interested in discussing the topic, but are just using the forum to boost views to your YouTube channel.

Your edit also fails to provide any detail on the matter unless someone watches your video. Maybe this is not against ToS, I don't actually know, but I'm just sharing that the way in which you presented this issue is inadequate for the medium in which you presented it (unless you're only trying to boost views to your YouTube channel, in which case, I assume you were successful).
  • Kory
    Kory
    ✭✭✭✭
    So counter play was narrowed down to actual stealth detection features of the game. Cool. Assuming any of this actually works properly, especially outside a controlled test like that video.
    Edited by Kory on August 18, 2021 11:11PM
  • ToxicOutrage
    ToxicOutrage
    ✭✭✭
    I recommend Sentry Set, aside from having 10 sec detection, it offers a very respectable 5 set side bonus. Plus the detection radius is huge, I think it is about 50 meters or so
  • ResidentContrarian
    ResidentContrarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys are just realizing this ? Why do you think I advocate for cloak changes this whole time?

Stealth mechanics are cheese on live and they will get worse next patch. I simply won't be PvPing since there will be only one class to play.
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I can't believe they're making cloak stronger. That's what it seems like anyway...
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i gotta be honest, when i first clicked i was kind of hoping purge was being added back to cloak...

this is all i'm seeing in the PTS notes:
    Nightblade
    Shadow
    Shadow Cloak: Fixed an issue where this ability and morphs’ protections could work even if the attacker had a detection potion active.

sorry for not watching/listening to your whole vid - but, is there something else besides this?
    Edited by geonsocal on August 19, 2021 4:54AM
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • rbfrgsp
    rbfrgsp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahh, the first step towards the inevitable cloak nerf.
    • Make a poorly implemented change,
    • make sure that nobody is happy with it,
    • reverse the most recent change with some additional new modifications to the original skill.

I have never seen the core gameplay mechanics of a game get altered as much or as often as ESO.
    Edited by rbfrgsp on August 19, 2021 4:33AM
  • vesselwiththepestle
    vesselwiththepestle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    geonsocal wrote: »
    sorry for not watching/listening to your whole vid - but, is there something else besides this?
    You are missing a lot in the patch notes:

"Adjusted many player abilities to no longer attempt to remove Stealth or Invisibility when they should not. This is also expanded to any Damage over Time effect, rather than only single target Damage over Time effects, as we want the removal and denial of Stealth and Invisibility to be more active rather than passive.

This means that the only player abilities that should remove stealth are Area of Effect Direct Damage, Stuns, Fears, or Immobilizes, as well as Reveals. Attacks made with Detection potions active may still damage the target but will not strip their Stealth or Invisibility.
    Also fixed many issues where attacks that were checking in areas regularly to hit singular targets could target Stealthed or Invisible targets, such as Force Pulse or Shrouded Dagger’s bouncing attacks. Any attack that checks in an area to attack singular targets will no longer attempt to even apply to targets under these effects."
    1000+ CP
    PC/EU Ravenwatch Daggerfall Covenant

Give me my wings back!
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    rbfrgsp wrote: »
    Ahh, the first step towards the inevitable cloak nerf.
    • Make a poorly implemented change,
    • make sure that nobody is happy with it,
    • reverse the most recent change with some additional new modifications to the original skill.

I have that feeling too. It won't end well for NBs in a couple of patches due to this. Time for a break again, I guess.
  • vesselwiththepestle
    vesselwiththepestle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i gotta be honest, when i first clicked i was kind of hoping purge was being added back to cloak...
    On a side note, the video shows how you don't get damage from many single target dots like venomous claw when cloaked, and even from ground aoe like caltrops. So who needs purge on cloak?

With these changes - I am pretty sure some of them are not working as intended - Nightblades will rule supreme.
    1000+ CP
    PC/EU Ravenwatch Daggerfall Covenant

Give me my wings back!
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, umm... what they did is they fixed countless bugs that were causing a lot of things (that were not intended to) to interupt cloak, effectively making it very unreliable, added some optimizations here & there, but at the same time they added new bug, that will cause you to sometimes, randomly take stacked de-synced dot dmg (dmg that was supposed to be suppressed) in a single 50K+ burst...

Huh... :|
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on August 19, 2021 8:16AM
  • robpr
    robpr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess everybody will just cast Lingering Flare every 5 seconds. You will have it slotted anyway for Major Protection so you might just use it.
  • CaperGuy
    CaperGuy
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone submitted the cloak damage / one shot desync thing as a bug in game, or however it is that ZoS wants to hear about it officially?
    Characters:

Trivalaur - Breton Templar(Healer)
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are missing a lot in the patch notes:

"Adjusted many player abilities to no longer attempt to remove Stealth or Invisibility when they should not. This is also expanded to any Damage over Time effect, rather than only single target Damage over Time effects, as we want the removal and denial of Stealth and Invisibility to be more active rather than passive.

This means that the only player abilities that should remove stealth are Area of Effect Direct Damage, Stuns, Fears, or Immobilizes, as well as Reveals. Attacks made with Detection potions active may still damage the target but will not strip their Stealth or Invisibility.
    Also fixed many issues where attacks that were checking in areas regularly to hit singular targets could target Stealthed or Invisible targets, such as Force Pulse or Shrouded Dagger’s bouncing attacks. Any attack that checks in an area to attack singular targets will no longer attempt to even apply to targets under these effects."

thank you @vesselwiththepestle ...so, stuff like hurricane and elemental blockade can still be used to find stealthed players, but, stuff like corrupting pollen or combat prayer won't reveal?

what about stuff like those fetcher flies or the venomous smite proc?
    Edited by geonsocal on August 19, 2021 3:50PM
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Jameson18
    Jameson18
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, umm... what they did is they fixed countless bugs that were causing a lot of things (that were not intended to) to interupt cloak, effectively making it very unreliable, added some optimizations here & there, but at the same time they added new bug, that will cause you to sometimes, randomly take stacked de-synced dot dmg (dmg that was supposed to be suppressed) in a single 50K+ burst...

Huh... :|

This.

I could go either way on the functionality changes. People will adapt etc.

They need to make sure things are working as intended before they release them. In Unified's video, if you watch the entire test video, things are clearly not working as intended. Especially with the desync'd 1 shot deaths NBs will be subject to at random.
  • Jameson18
    Jameson18
    ✭✭✭✭✭

People aren't always in a place where they can watch a video, but might have some down time where they would like to check the forums, read up on new posts, and contribute.

I don't mind watching your video (and I will later), but it seems weird to make a forum post with no actual communication that the forum is built on (text). It makes it seem like you're not really interested in discussing the topic, but are just using the forum to boost views to your YouTube channel.

Your edit also fails to provide any detail on the matter unless someone watches your video. Maybe this is not against ToS, I don't actually know, but I'm just sharing that the way in which you presented this issue is inadequate for the medium in which you presented it (unless you're only trying to boost views to your YouTube channel, in which case, I assume you were successful).

I also don't like paraphrasing, misinterpretation, or conjecture. There's enough of that on this forum. Just look at some of the comments on the thread already. With clear representation of people only watching part of the video. "So what, they fixed cloak!" No. Watch the video. They did not. For example; You'll now be subject to random deaths.

It's not my test or data. If you're that interested, just watch the video when you have time. But; watch it in its entirety.
  • sproattt
    sproattt
    ✭✭✭
    I dislike the fact they even touched cloak in the first place, you now all have to accept that cloak will never be where it used to be before this goes live. I would’ve been happy if they just kept it the way it is and you get punished then penalised for standing in AOEs. Punished as in removed from invis/stealth and penalised that you can’t go back into invis/stealth whilst in the same AOE that’s just removed you.

Believe me when I say this. As a solo player you are going to be getting desyncd constantly, you may think you are “suppressing” the damage but in reality it’s stacking up on you without you even noticing. Gankers in ESO won’t feel this change as they are constantly in stealth but the 10% of players who use Cloak the way it should be used are going to be the ones who feels this the most.

I want to see buffs to our class Fear, or maybe a longer time on Shade? These are things that I would rather feel attention should be directed towards than Cloak.

Tldr; Waking Flame - Play a Necro or a Warden.

Stamblade Main.
  • Sanctum74
    Sanctum74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I also don't like paraphrasing, misinterpretation, or conjecture. There's enough of that on this forum. Just look at some of the comments on the thread already. With clear representation of people only watching part of the video. "So what, they fixed cloak!" No. Watch the video. They did not. For example; You'll now be subject to random deaths.

It's not my test or data. If you're that interested, just watch the video when you have time. But; watch it in its entirety.

I agree, watch the video since it illustrates the issues much better than a wall of text ever could. Funny thing is the same people complaining about watching a video would be the same people saying tldr(too long didn’t read) had you taken the time to type it out.
  • NagualV
    NagualV
    ✭✭✭✭
    sproattt wrote: »
    but the 10% of players who use Cloak the way it should be used are going to be the ones who feels this the most.

What is the correct way to use cloak?
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There were far too many unintended counters to cloak (bugs) that have been neglected for years, which seems to be what they are trying to address. I am all for reliability and consistency when it comes to the core defensive class skills. However these new desync bugs and inconsistencies are concerning. From what that video shows, I don't think all the affected skills were properly tested or adjusted.

But what do I know, I only play the game.