The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.1 is available.

NB Cloak update - So uh.... This is about to go live?

• Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jameson18 wrote: »
    Vevvev wrote: »
    After it went live I started fighting in Cyrodiil and found myself revealing a lot of Nightblades than usual. Never had any spontaneously combust as I had hoped, but the Magelight buff has turned out to be insanely good! The half a second reveal + larger radius has made the ability even more effective at denying cloak around the user, and the radius especially has made it more reliable at breaking fleeing Nightblades out of cloak since it can get them at just a little outside melee range for a magDK.

I look forward to this challenge on my NBs. Not looking forward to seeing that "spontaneous combustion" though lol.

Me neither lol. Flare's radius is also comically large. It feels like they doubled it's reveal due to just how massive of an area it covers. One is enough to cover an entire gate from bombing runs for example.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Jameson18
    Jameson18
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After it went live I started fighting in Cyrodiil and found myself revealing a lot of Nightblades than usual. Never had any spontaneously combust as I had hoped, but the Magelight buff has turned out to be insanely good! The half a second reveal + larger radius has made the ability even more effective at denying cloak around the user, and the radius especially has made it more reliable at breaking fleeing Nightblades out of cloak since it can get them at just a little outside melee range for a magDK.

I look forward to this challenge on my NBs. Not looking forward to seeing that "spontaneous combustion" though lol.

Me neither lol. Flare's radius is also comically large. It feels like they doubled it's reveal due to just how massive of an area it covers. One is enough to cover an entire gate from bombing runs for example.

Oh boy. This should get interesting lol. Thankfully my shade game is on point.

Can't wait for the update to hit console. I'm eager to see how hard it will be to be a ninja.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't wait for the update to hit console. I'm eager to see how hard it will be to be a ninja.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words.
    20210824223503_1.jpg
  • Bergzorn
    Bergzorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wanted to make Flare work (for the passive buff), but it's just too clunky in dynamic encounters mainly because of the travel time.

Radiant Magelight, on the other hand, seems to work great this patch. The radius of this morph wasn't changed, maybe it's just because of the more frequent check. The reveal radius seems ok now, it always felt very lackluster in the past.

Edit: Thinking about it, the radius of RML always felt more like 6m than 12m, maybe it's just bugged and has the same radius as Inner Light (thus went up from 6m to 8m, but still not at 12m). Who knows, I'm to lazy to remorph and test.
    Edited by Bergzorn on August 25, 2021 5:11AM
    no CP PvP PC/EU

EP Zergborn
    DC Zerg Beacon

guild master, raid leader, janitor, and only member of Zergbored
  • Sephyr
    Sephyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

They say a picture is worth a thousand words.
    20210824223503_1.jpg

That's pretty huge. If people refuse to slot counters now?

They deserved to die to a gank. :D
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sephyr wrote: »
    That's pretty huge. If people refuse to slot counters now?

They deserved to die to a gank. :D
    Tbh. I am running Flare now on my NB to get "only" that free 7K armour (10% free dmg mitigation). It is kinda crazy that you can get equivalent of WW pack leader passive or stronger effect than 5pc set, just by casually slotting (not even casting lol) a skill...

I have other means of dealing with cloak, so I use Flare purely for its overpowered permanent buff ;)
  • ANewHand
    ANewHand
    ✭✭✭
    Tbh. I am running Flare now on my NB to get "only" that free 7K armour (10% free dmg mitigation)

10% from major protection is non negligible, but armor is often stronger because it stacks additively with other sources of armor. So, if you're sitting at 26k armor (40% mitigation), major protection will reduce the damage you take by 6%, for a total of 46% mitigation. Getting an extra 7k armor instead would bump you to the 50% mitigation cap (33k armor).
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Protection buffs are applied after armor. This means Protection is less effective as armor increases.

Major Protection reduces damage by 9% with 6600 armor (10%)
    Major Protection reduces damage by 8% with 13200 armor (20%)
    Major Protection reduces damage by 7% with 19800 armor (30%)
    Major Protection reduces damage by 6% with 26400 armor (40%)
    Major Protection reduces damage by 5% with 33000 armor (50%)

For example, a 10000 damage hit is reduced to 5000 with 33k armor. 5000 damage is reduced to 4500 by Major Protection (-10%). 500 damage is only 5% mitigation (500/10000).

This also applies to other sources of damage mitigation like Vampire Stage 3 and Buffer of the Swift set.

Edited by SkaraMinoc on August 25, 2021 9:44AM
    PC NA
  • Jameson18
    Jameson18
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SkaraMinoc wrote: »
    Protection buffs are applied after armor. This means Protection is less effective as armor increases.

For example, a 10000 damage hit is reduced to 5000 with 33k armor. 5000 damage is reduced to 4500 by Major Protection (-10%). 500 damage is only 5% mitigation (500/10000).

This also applies to other sources of damage mitigation like Vampire Stage 3 and Buffer of the Swift set.

The real question is, where in the ladder does penetration count?

Is it;

Armor value> Armor value after penetration > Protections/Vamp etc. ?

In theory, if I have 33k armor, but someone attacking me has 22k pen, I now only have 11k armor, thus getting 8-9% damage reduction from major protection, vs. the 5% if the person hitting me has no pen.

Does this seem correct?

(Totally derailed my own thread and went off topic. lol.)
  • Bergzorn
    Bergzorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO, the only logical way to calculate damage taken is with armor factored in as yourArmor-enemyPenetration, but we all know logic only gets you so far in eso combat mechanics...
    no CP PvP PC/EU

EP Zergborn
    DC Zerg Beacon

guild master, raid leader, janitor, and only member of Zergbored
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SkaraMinoc wrote: »

The real question is, where in the ladder does penetration count?

Is it;

Armor value> Armor value after penetration > Protections/Vamp etc. ?

In theory, if I have 33k armor, but someone attacking me has 22k pen, I now only have 11k armor, thus getting 8-9% damage reduction from major protection, vs. the 5% if the person hitting me has no pen.

Does this seem correct?

(Totally derailed my own thread and went off topic. lol.)

Penetration just subtracts the target's resistances. So if you had 10k pen and they had 33k resistances the damage done by the attack will deal damage as if they had 23k resistances.