The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

So I made a friend in eso, how do I keep him?

Recent
Recent
✭✭✭✭✭
Hello 😊
As the title says, I made a friend while playing solo. I was feeling lonely but busy so I had enough to do to not focus on my loneliness and surely enough i met a nice dude. We were killing overland bosses and we grouped up then we added each other.
My concern now is how do I keep this friendship? Im sociably awkward and I struggle with over thinking. I have social anxiety and i'm not sure of the online friendship code or ettiquete.
Is it okay to say hello every day i see them online ? They enjoy doing group activities so is it okay for me to initiate an invite to group? How do i know how much space to give them? Im seriously not very good at this social thing.

Help please.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    roleplay. Online you can be whoever you want to be!
  • Alexandea
    Alexandea
    ✭✭✭
    Recent wrote: »
    Hello 😊
    As the title says …Im seriously not very good at this social thing.

Help please.

Hi, are you on PC or PS4/Xbox? It’s ok to say hi when you see the dude online, perhaps chat on game stuff is ok. Don’t ask personal questions like hobbies or favourite food though, that raises my red flag…
    @PACROOTl
    “Today, is your lucky day!”
  • MirandaSharp
    MirandaSharp
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alexandea wrote: »
    Hello 😊

Help please.

Hi, are you on PC or PS4/Xbox? It’s ok to say hi when you see the dude online, perhaps chat on game stuff is ok. Don’t ask personal questions like hobbies or favourite food though, that raises my red flag…

Agree. Crazy how some people think ESO is a dating game... Getting questions about my age, location hobbies etc is just really awkward. I'm playing a fictional character in ESO and I'm way too old for 99% of the player base to cause any interest IRL ;)
  • Lady_Galadhiel
    Lady_Galadhiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hello 😊

Help please.

I don't mind when people ask me for my favourite food tho,more awkward I find when guys send me randomly gold or gifts when they found out I am a woman.

To OP's question: well most people keep each other in friendlist,and if you play sometimes together like doing wb's,dungeons or delves you will automatically talk more with the person and who knows you may instead of playing solo more likely play with your friend more often.
    Total ESO playtime: 8325 hours
    ESO plus status: Cancelled
    ESO currently uninstalled.
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    One thing I would recommend is not contacting them right after the daily reset, a lot of players like to get their daily writs out of the way usually takes around an hour at most assuming they have 18 characters.

I always end up switching to offline mode while I am doing them because people in my friends list kept asking me to help them out with stuff during that time of the day. Got no problem giving someone a hand but prefer to get what I feel I need to do everyday out of the way first.

Other than that if there online never hurts to ask if you want to do something with a friend, just make sure to check there location, as in are they in a dungeon/trial/arena, that tends to be a bad time to chat with them but if they are just out and about in the overland, worst that will happen is they will tell you they are busy.

I don't see them unfriending you unless your a bit too clingy asking to do stuff with them all the time, asking once a day to find out if they have plans and see if you can work out a time to see if your both able to play together should be more than enough, if your asking them every time they log in, when they log in multiple times a day it would be a bit much might scare them off.

Joining at least one no requirements social guild can help a lot if you want help with stuff, lot of good friendly guilds out there, worth giving it a shot.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which kind of activities do you like to do in-game? For eg., if you are a PVE dps etc., you can ask them if they like to do pledges, or to just keep you in mind if they need a dps for any content, and then go from there.
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's so hard to try and analyze what makes that "spark" that ignites friendships. One thing that holds friendships together is doing an activity. Asking someone what they like to do in-game is a pretty solid start. If you're more of a quester, maybe that won't be a group activity. But doing world bosses and sharing daily quests is good.

Also, you can ask if they're in a guild and join it with them. Guilds are kinda great for social anxiety because they don't actually require you to be social lol. You can kinda lurk and watch other people interact, but decide when you wanna join in on activities and guild events. It also just gives you passive connection to a lot of people, and increases the chance of finding that "spark" with potential friends. Most of the people I play with regularly are guildmates of friends.

I also have social anxiety and can be very avoidant and feel awkward, but guilds helped me make connections. It also is a place where other people will ask if anyone wants to do a world boss or a dungeon or some housing, so it's like a place where OTHER people do all the initiating! And they initiate without focusing on YOU personally! So it's kind of anonymous that way lol. Easy to hide when you want, and pick when you're noticed.

That's been my experience, anyway, and that of some of my friends with social anxiety.
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • Pauwer
    Pauwer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, i would just ask him/her like if they want to play something together, like those world bosses or dungeons or finding leads etc when you want to play them. And just casually ask if he/she wants to join too. Then you can ask about what builds they use if they are good dds or something like that. If you end up playing with them content that needs communication, like pvp or something, use mic. I know, i would have never spoken on a game before, never ever. But once i ended up playing with the same people everyday for months, it kind of starts feeling natural. Then you really get to know people and make close friends :)
  • Recent
    Recent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello 😊

Help please.

PC
  • Recent
    Recent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello 😊

Help please.

I don't mind when people ask me for my favourite food tho,more awkward I find when guys send me randomly gold or gifts when they found out I am a woman.

To OP's question: well most people keep each other in friendlist,and if you play sometimes together like doing wb's,dungeons or delves you will automatically talk more with the person and who knows you may instead of playing solo more likely play with your friend more often.

Thanks for your answer 😊
  • Recent
    Recent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's so hard to try and analyze what makes that "spark" that ignites friendships. One thing that holds friendships together is doing an activity. Asking someone what they like to do in-game is a pretty solid start. If you're more of a quester, maybe that won't be a group activity. But doing world bosses and sharing daily quests is good.

Also, you can ask if they're in a guild and join it with them. Guilds are kinda great for social anxiety because they don't actually require you to be social lol. You can kinda lurk and watch other people interact, but decide when you wanna join in on activities and guild events. It also just gives you passive connection to a lot of people, and increases the chance of finding that "spark" with potential friends. Most of the people I play with regularly are guildmates of friends.

I also have social anxiety and can be very avoidant and feel awkward, but guilds helped me make connections. It also is a place where other people will ask if anyone wants to do a world boss or a dungeon or some housing, so it's like a place where OTHER people do all the initiating! And they initiate without focusing on YOU personally! So it's kind of anonymous that way lol. Easy to hide when you want, and pick when you're noticed.

That's been my experience, anyway, and that of some of my friends with social anxiety.

Thank you for your reply 😊
  • Recent
    Recent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update : Thank you all so much. Every answer so far has been very helpful and reading them has made me feel like i can do this, keep a friend and maybe even dare to meet some more. Really appreciate you all 😊😊😊
  • Mitaka211
    Mitaka211
    ✭✭✭✭
    Eso takes on a new form when you play with other people and all the things that frustrate you go in the back of your mind. My best memories were in different social guilds , some better than others.
    It's not weird to ask people to do something with you , but being too clingy tends to push people away. I will be honest I can barely remember half of my friends list and who they are . At one point it was a similirar situation where I helped them or they me. In my opinion, you are overthinking it. You met a new player , you had fun and friended eachother , it's a normal part of the game, asking to do some activities from time to time is ok. Overthinking stuff usually ends in self sabotage.
    If you feel lonely in the game , just push yourselve to join a social guild, it works every time. The majority of players are normal people, they only bite in riften.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would recommend you asking them to specific activities first and give them some choices.

Like "Hey do you want to do fighters guild daily or maybe a undaunted pledge?"

Pick group activities you'd both benefit from doing. Other things will come more naturally with continued time together. Try to strike up conversations about the game at first, and you'll naturally get to know each other better as you discuss the game.
  • Fischblut
    Fischblut
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My concern now is how do I keep this friendship? Im sociably awkward and I struggle with over thinking. I have social anxiety and i'm not sure of the online friendship code or ettiquete.
    Is it okay to say hello every day i see them online ? They enjoy doing group activities so is it okay for me to initiate an invite to group?

First of all, I want you to know why friendships end... They end if you don't talk to each other. Especially if you are both not very social, it can be difficult to say something first. So nobody says something, time goes by... And you start to wonder why do you have this person on your friend list? And it becomes harder to talk to each other, because what if other person doesn't even remember you? Then you don't even know what to say.

In other cases, friendships end if you don't have any common interests, or if you don't respect each other's right for personal space. If you start bothering somebody with requests for group activity, other person might become uncomfortable to see you online - and it leads to him playing in offline mode when he anticipates your presence... Or he will simply remove you from his friend list.

Recently I removed one person from my friend list cause he was asking me to do daily dungeons and trials each day - even though I plainly told him "I don't do that often, I am tired of this content". After a month, he whispered me literally out of nowhere "Hey, are you busy right now?" ...A bit creepy without being on my Friend list, but such change in personality! Previously, he never even said "Hi" and he was never interested if I'm busy :o I ignored him anyway, because I know that he would ask about some daily dungeon again.

Don't treat your friends as just some numbers to fill your dungeon/trial groups - keep in mind different preferences of each person on your friend list.

1) It's natural to say hello when you see the friend log in. You don't need to talk about anything else immediately or suggest doing some grouped activity. Just acknowledge each other's presence :)

Did you have some fun thing happen to your character during your playtime? Tell about it to your friend. He can share some fun things which happen to his character as well :)
    I accidentally crafted CP160 item for my writs, instead of CP150? I'm so proud of myself, my friend needs to know! :D
    Some other player was angry that I pickpocket NPCs, so that he started to light attack me. But he attacked the NPC instead, and aggroed both the NPC and nearby Guard?.. That needs to be shared! :smiley:

2) If you wish to suggest some grouped activity, always ask if the friend has time. Ask about what content the friend prefers. If you know that he dislikes certain dungeons and arenas, you can avoid making suggestions which are uncomfortable to your friend.

My best friend in ESO really hated vDSA. But he could agree to do it just to help out. So I remembered to never ask him about joining me for vDSA, because I would never want him to feel uncomfortable.

3) You can talk about different in-game things. That way, you will see if you have common interests, and you will know the daily routine of each other.
    For example, we both were doing crafting writs on multiple characters. If we happen to have conversation during this time, we would often say "brb relogging" and then "back" :)

I had (and have) very good people among my friends in ESO (even if not on my Friend list, but always on my mind :blush: ). But there was one person who was my Best Friend in ESO, such friendships happen only once in a lifetime. And our friendship endured even while we were both not very social people. I remember how we didn't talk to each other for some time, and this friendship could end because of silence. One simple "Hello buddy :) " resurrected the friendship!
    Sadly, he left ESO before Elsweyr release, and he never returned :'( I really-really miss him.

It was awesome to do some activities together and to talk about in-game things. We also shared our useful secrets with each other.

One day, we were having conversation about Cipher. I was obsessed with it, I really wanted to have it from RNG drop, to learn the recipe. I even had a dream when I got it from a wolf mob on some hill. I told my friend about that. He said that if he would get it, he would never waste in on learning and rather sell it. I told him that for me this item would be far too precious to sell... Few days later, he sent me this mail:

Bs0Ujvs.jpg

I wanted to return it immediately, but then I read the words in the mail.
    I learned the recipe only thanks to my friend <3
    I never had Cipher drop for me from RNG. And I would never buy it, because that is simply not fun to buy everything. But the way I got it back then was much more precious.
  • MJ202
    MJ202
    ✭✭✭✭
    bmnoble wrote: »
    One thing I would recommend is not contacting them right after the daily reset, a lot of players like to get their daily writs out of the way usually takes around an hour at most assuming they have 18 characters.

I always end up switching to offline mode while I am doing them because people in my friends list kept asking me to help them out with stuff during that time of the day. Got no problem giving someone a hand but prefer to get what I feel I need to do everyday out of the way first.

Saturdays are the only day of the week I have time to pair up and get heavily involved in ESO activities. Monday through Friday, if lucky, I may have an hour before work and an hour after dinner. I reserve those weekday times to doing daily events. There's no point in pairing up or joining teams if I will be bailing shortly. It's not fair to the other players.
  • DP99
    DP99
    ✭✭✭✭
    I gained three people in my second or third day of playing while getting invited to group for just a regular quest in Vvardenfel. Talked to one or two of them a bit afterwards on a few other missions, but then that was it. Since then, I’ve gotten several more people on my list, but I’m not very social and I guess they aren’t either.
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Take interest in their happiness and excitement, find fun things to do together. It doesn't have to be just goals either - like go on a screenshot tour or something. Find funny moments and let it go from there. Best of luck mate.
  • Lady_Galadhiel
    Lady_Galadhiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Where I made a lot of friends was while doing housing.
    I have spend a lot of time with people who aren't in my friendlist visiting each others houses and chatting about decorating non stop.
    Sometimes when we encounter each other randomly in Tamriel we greed us and do another house tour :)
    Its amazing because it happens randomly and in the most unexpected times,like once I got a whisper while being in the AD Imperial City Home base during Midyear Mayhem and it was one of the housing buddies.
    You meet so many different types of people in the game it is truely an unique experience.
    Total ESO playtime: 8325 hours
    ESO plus status: Cancelled
    ESO currently uninstalled.
  • JJOtterBear
    JJOtterBear
    ✭✭✭✭
    Add him as a friend. Ask him to do stuff when he's online. Try not to over think it. I understand your fear of losing him already, I have BPD, so I understand those feelings of fear of loss and abandonment.

Just take it easy. Let things flow naturally and organically. And maybe once you guys s start hitting it off you can play other games or interact outside of games.

You got this.

• Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be yourself!
    Be helping!
    Be cool!
    Don't be too available! (People tend to be attracted to those who entrepreneur)

Everyone always looks for someone they can help/be helped by - it's the story of life.
    Edited by Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo on July 28, 2021 3:29PM
  • waterfairy
    waterfairy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    you're already overthinking it by creating this thread ha...just let things happen naturally and don't be clingy or msg them every time you see them online.
    I go thru swings where I want to play with people and where I want to be left alone so don't take it personal if 1 day they don't want to group with you
  • Arkew
    Arkew
    ✭✭✭
    Hello 😊
    As the title says, I made a friend while playing solo. I was feeling lonely but busy so I had enough to do to not focus on my loneliness and surely enough i met a nice dude. We were killing overland bosses and we grouped up then we added each other.
    Is it okay to say hello every day i see them online ? They enjoy doing group activities so is it okay for me to initiate an invite to group? How do i know how much space to give them? Im seriously not very good at this social thing.

Help please.

if you want you can add me as friend?

i generally follow 90 % of the time when i'm online.

@Arkew
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have grouped with random players who added me, but then I never heard another word from them. I felt like if they added me they should be the one to contact me first. So if they don't say hello after a week I unfriend them. But now I wonder if I should drop my rule and say hello first.

I guess what I'm saying is sometimes it's hard to know how much to initiate without looking clingy or like a pest, so I get where you are coming from, OP.
    PCNA
  • Odovacar
    Odovacar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just be yourself...that is all. ESO is filled with great people #ESOfam
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Everyone's different. Ask them what kind of relationship they want.

"Is it ok if I invite you to go questing or do dungeons when I see you on?"

"Are you ok with just chatting about stuff? Anything you don't want to discuss?" (Religion and politics is still generally something to avoid until later in a friendship.)

This is important though: Players of MMOs come and go. Constantly.

It has nothing to do with you, it's how the player enjoys the game (or not) and their own real-life circumstances.

You should not be surprised or take it personally when you realize one day friend A hasn't logged on for 2 weeks. You should not be worried by not hearing from them purely in a friendship based on the game.

It's a fact of life: People get bored or have real life interfere with playing an MMO, and they almost never come back simply to say goodbye.

Sometimes people don't say goodbye because they figure it's only a temporary pause on their part and they'll play again soon ... which never happens. Sometimes they are too distracted by life events to have the spare energy.

Don't assume it's anything to do with you. It's just a reality we all get used to.
    PC NA
  • deleted221106-002999
    deleted221106-002999
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You duel them incessantly. :|

Or, maybe work out what you want to do and if you'd like company doing it - if so and friend is online ask them to join; 'no' just means they'd rather do something else and you can go do other stuff or join up with them if they suggest something else and it fits with what you'd like to do, too

It's just a game. :)

• ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    So many great suggestions for @Recent. Thanks to everyone who provided feedback here. What a wholesome thread!
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • VilniusNastavnik
    VilniusNastavnik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello 😊
    -SNIP- Im sociably awkward and I struggle with over thinking. I have social anxiety and i'm not sure of the online friendship code or ettiquete.
    -SNIP- Im seriously not very good at this social thing.

Help please.

There is already a lot of good advice here from others from an in game perspective. Thought id way in on an irl perspective.

In highschool i was a public speaker.

After high school personal issues caused me to go to a darkplace and became a recluse. Only leaving the house for work and uni. Would spend months not really saying a word.

Fast forward 6 years. Graduated uni with my Eng. Degree. Socially inept. The firm I was working for having gone under due to the financial crisis. Struggling to get work due to what I had become. Lost so much confidence in my abilities etc.

Mate dragged me to Toastmasters. Its a public speaking group that helps you become not only a better speaker but also a more confident person.

Ended up getting an administrator role at same time. Over 12 months co-workers started commenting on how much i had changed.

So some resurces i can recomnend to get over your social hurdle.. join toastmasters. If you dont already, joining a gym and working on self can boost confidence. Join a social group. My group pre covid went hiking twice a month. 5-20 people regular.
    Active Toons:
    NA - VilniusNastavnik - Magsorc DPS - Altmer
    NA - Ko'h Nehko'h - Stamblade Archer - Khajit
    NA - Arwyn Winterlight - MagPlar Healer - Breton
    NA - Urog Blackfang - DK Tank - Orc
    NA - Elen Windsong - Stamsorc DPS - Bosmer
    NA - Eats-Strange-Fungus - Magden HealzTank- Argonian
    NA - Harwyn Northwind - MagWarden DPS - High Elf
    NA - Raises-Many-Families - Necro HealzTank - Argonian

Picture of my Active Toons.

Obligatory ESO Fashion website plug: Vil's Portfolio
  • Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
    Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have played ESO for almost 5 years.

Have made a few acquaintances and only one real friend.

Ended up exchanging phone numbers and would message each other occasionaly and played together quite a lot. Always said hi when we were online and we spoke on Discord whilst playing. Sometimes for hours.

Best time I've ever had in ESO is playing with my friend.

But... I made the mistake of developing deeper feelings... and now I no longer have my friend... and it's terrible. ESO and my life are not the same.

My advice... be friends, but don't get too close.
    Edited by Snowy_Wyndra_Karn on July 29, 2021 12:42AM