The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 13:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 13
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 14, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Rapid gear decay

• Rayadrel
    Rayadrel
    ✭✭✭
    You may argue for gold sinks all you want, but the fact remains item decay right now is flat out broken. No question.

It cannot be intentional for decay on death to be virtually trivial, and decay from just fighting to be insanely punishing. It's completely inverted at the moment, you're punished more for fighting than you are for dying.
    Options
  • GamePlayer7
    Ya, this is a bit ridiculous. I'm pretty sure I repaired my gear just last night before logging out. I logged in today, healed one dark anchor, died exactly once, now I have 1,300+ repair bill.

I'm okay with large gold sinks, the issue for me is there seems to be a lack of uniformity in the item decay rate. There are times when it seems vastly accelerated relative to what it normally is, (for me). I'm wondering how it's calculated when I'm healing a bunch of people?
    Edited by GamePlayer7 on April 26, 2014 8:33PM
    Options
  • Arsenic_Touch
    Arsenic_Touch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in full support of the current price of repairs. The gold sink is needed and removing it would have some terrible downsides. However as pointed out there is indeed a bug or terrible design flaw with the decay of gear and even if you don't get hit it degrades. So it needs to be fixed. The price needs to stay the same though.
    Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

╔═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗
    "Hope can drown lost in thunderous sound."
    "Fear can claim what little faith remains."
    "Death will take those who fight alone."
    "But united we can break a fate once set in stone."

╚═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╝

NA // Ebonheart Pact // Leader of CORE Legion // Namira Beta Tester // VR11 NB
    Options
  • Gwarok
    Gwarok
    ✭✭✭
    BrassRazoo wrote: »
    Why does it cost 400 Gold to repair gear I can only sell for 30 Gold?
    I often wondered that myself. Massive discontinuity there.

Slightly off topic, also WHY, if say I accidentally double click (yes my mouse button is set to recognize faster clicks and yes, it DOES happen) on a vendor's item let's say such piece costs 675g and realizing the opps, immediately selling it back, the damned NPC is NOT refunding my money but ripping me of for about 650g. (now IF I were to close the store window I can see the NPC recognizing said piece of gear as used) but as it is now it's a blatant RIP OFF.

BROKEN VENDORS ARE BROKEN.
    Edited by Gwarok on April 26, 2014 8:44PM
    "Strive for balance of all things. When the scales tip to one side or the other, someone or somethings gets short-changed. When someone gets short-changed, unpredictability and strife unbalance the world around us...To achieve freedom from greed, from want, and from strife, all parties in any exchange MUST find balance." -House Hlaalu's Philosophy of Trade

"I am ALWAYS very busy, so I KNOW what's best. You need to stay away from the waterfall. TRUST ME, you're better off keeping busy than playing in the stream....Do you know how to swim, Little Scrib?"

"I am but a simple farmer". -Rags'nar LodesBroke

#SKOOMA!

(Juliet):
    ...it is nor hand, nor foot,
    Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
    Belonging to a man.
    O, be some other name!
    What's in a name?
    That which we call a rose?
    By any other name would smell as sweet.
    Retain that dear perfection to which he owes...
    (Act II, Scene II -William Shakespeare's: Romeo & Juliet -1595 A.D.)

Options
  • Knottypine
    Knottypine
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in full support of the current price of repairs. The gold sink is needed and removing it would have some terrible downsides.

If I run around playing as intended through questing and gathering some mats, I would barely have enough gold to cover the repair costs. Let alone saving up for anything else. I'm struggling just trying to save up 20K+ for my next bank upgrade. IMHO the current repair cost is just too high. Lowering the high cost of repair, and lowering the decay would have way less downsides then leaving it as it is right now. I actually cannot think of any downsides to lowering it. There should only be decay when you die as a penalty. The downside to leaving it how high it currently is, could lead to farming and grinding, which I believe that's something the devs do not intend players to do.
    Edited by Knottypine on April 26, 2014 8:47PM
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in full support of the current price of repairs. The gold sink is needed and removing it would have some terrible downsides. However as pointed out there is indeed a bug or terrible design flaw with the decay of gear and even if you don't get hit it degrades. So it needs to be fixed. The price needs to stay the same though.

Except, right now, the gold sink at lower levels is crippling, and not even really an effective sink. You can keep fighting until your gear degrades and falls off and craft new, or you can spend more gold than you have in repairs. Remember, if you roll a character up right now, this "gold sink" will exceed your income. Once you get into the level 8 or 9 range, you'll start to break even, but that's a long time to play with repair costs you can't hit. And for players who aren't crafters, or don't get the crafting interface, this could very well be where the game ends for them. They roll up their first character, step out into the world, and find that the instant they take a hit in combat, all their questing income is spoken for. If that was my first experience with the game, I'd be thinking twice about sticking with it.

I agree that the actual costs are fine, that is to say, the cost to repair a piece of armor from 50% condition or 75% condition is fine. But the speed which your gear wears out. Particularly with people reporting their gear simply disintegrates... yeah, that just doesn't work.

But, now we're almost a week out, and I'm really starting to worry that this is intended behavior. "Play the way you want, so long as you remain tethered to a wandering merchant."
    Options
  • alexj4596b14_ESO
    alexj4596b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Guys I have noticed that in cold harbor alone, my gear is wearing out 2x as fast as before. I'm not dying allot either, in the pvp area my guild and I did a dungeon we went in with basicly perfect gear too 0 amour in about a hour. No deaths, I really think somthing is broken
    Options
  • Kazarr
    Kazarr
    I ran some tests with my DK and not only is item decay excessive, it also occurs even if you take no damage. So purely by being in combat you have a chance (if not a flat out guarantee) of item decay.
    Edited by Kazarr on April 26, 2014 9:34PM
    Options
  • Arsenic_Touch
    Arsenic_Touch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knottypine wrote: »

If I run around playing as intended through questing and gathering some mats, I would barely have enough gold to cover the repair costs. Let alone saving up for anything else. I'm struggling just trying to save up 20K+ for my next bank upgrade. IMHO the current repair cost is just too high. Lowering the high cost of repair, and lowering the decay would have way less downsides then leaving it as it is right now. I actually cannot think of any downsides to lowering it. There should only be decay when you die as a penalty. The downside to leaving it how high it currently is, could lead to farming and grinding, which I believe that's something the devs do not intend players to do.

Funny, I had no issue with that and I'm sitting on 40k gold at level 45 after maxing out my bag and bank space. And I didn't get my horse until I hit level 19 because I preordered the standard edition instead of the imperial. The price of repairs is fine, the rate at which it degrades is the issue.
    Edited by Arsenic_Touch on April 26, 2014 9:39PM
    Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

╔═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗
    "Hope can drown lost in thunderous sound."
    "Fear can claim what little faith remains."
    "Death will take those who fight alone."
    "But united we can break a fate once set in stone."

╚═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╝

NA // Ebonheart Pact // Leader of CORE Legion // Namira Beta Tester // VR11 NB
    Options
  • Soloeus
    Soloeus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO rapid decay = more business for China?

Seriously, this system doesn't encourage honest gameplay.

I also reiterate as stated many times:

This system causes you to stop having a good time in the middle of your fun, to immediately perform non-fun behaviors to be allowed back into the fun.

Anything that does this, is a terrible model.
    Edited by Soloeus on April 26, 2014 10:10PM

Within; Without.
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knottypine wrote: »

Funny, I had no issue with that and I'm sitting on 40k gold at level 45 after maxing out my bag and bank space. And I didn't get my horse until I hit level 19 because I preordered the standard edition instead of the imperial. The price of repairs is fine, the rate at which it degrades is the issue.
    @Arsenic_Touch‌ I think you're missing a very critical point, gear degradation has been changed. Before 4/20 it was fine, now stuff degrades at a ludicrous rate, to the point that, if someone picked up the game today, and tried to play, they would be unable to both repair their gear and save up for inventory upgrades.

EDIT: To be clear, I'm in roughly the same situation you are. I've got a 32, and about 20k across my account. But, if I want to keep that gold, I can't afford to play. Right now, my characters barely break even with their repair costs and income, so it's just not a long term option.
    Edited by starkerealm on April 27, 2014 2:35AM
    Options
  • AlliN
    AlliN
    ✭✭✭
    Repair costs are abhorrent on low levels, thinking how it will look on vr10 makes me wonder If I want to get there.

While leveling, it's easy to just craft or change gear, but in the endgame well... seems it's broken compared to what you get from gameplay.
    Options
  • traigusb14_ESO2
    traigusb14_ESO2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still has to be a bug. It isn't universal. That's why more people aren't going crazy over this.

Just played 3 1/2 hours on my now level 30 sorc. (in all light armor) and replaced my level 26 gear (repair cost 624 gp)... I didn't pay it because I was making new stuff.

Died 5 times.. fought tons of stuff including going back int sangiune's open group dungeon. 2 friends I was with were about he same ~ 700 gp for the day's run (both using med armor).

Crafted 15 mins w/ my temp. needed 0 repairs, ended 0 repairs.

Patch notes for the test server say that they are turning down the decay rate in some group dungeons. Maybe you are all bugged and stuck flagged for a higher decay area? It seems you are all affected on the account level too right? All of your chars decay fast?

Options
  • reggielee
    reggielee
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would like to see some sort of crafting reduced cost for repair, an incremental reduction based on crafting level. It is disheartening to finally get a nice weapon or armor piece, only to have to shelve it in a week due to repair cost. I dread end game with hard earned sets.. but perhaps by then gold wont be as much of a problem as it is in early levels.
    Mama always said the fastest way to a man's heart is through his chest.
    Options
  • Drakonklenok
    Drakonklenok
    ✭✭✭
    reggielee wrote: »
    I would like to see some sort of crafting reduced cost for repair, an incremental reduction based on crafting level. It is disheartening to finally get a nice weapon or armor piece, only to have to shelve it in a week due to repair cost. I dread end game with hard earned sets.. but perhaps by then gold wont be as much of a problem as it is in early levels.

A week?? 20-30 minutes. For me it isn't the gold, its just the pain in the ass of having to go back to town or carry a ton of repair kits.
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Patch notes for the test server say that they are turning down the decay rate in some group dungeons. Maybe you are all bugged and stuck flagged for a higher decay area? It seems you are all affected on the account level too right? All of your chars decay fast?

The patch notes are talking about turning down the deterioration for group content, specifically dungeons. They aren't talking about turning down the deterioration for solo players and in the open world, which makes me really worried this is "working as intended."
    Edited by starkerealm on April 27, 2014 3:58PM
    Options
  • traigusb14_ESO2
    traigusb14_ESO2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't be, because it isn't happening to me. Either i'm bugged and my gear is decaying slower than you, or you are bugged and are decaying too fast.

Everyone complaining seems to be decaying 4X as fast as I am at the same levels.

Something isn't working right.
    Options
  • vyal
    vyal
    ✭✭✭
    Rayadrel wrote: »
    It cannot be intentional for decay on death to be virtually trivial, and decay from just fighting to be insanely punishing. It's completely inverted at the moment, you're punished more for fighting than you are for dying.

Well said, Rayadrel, completely agree.
    Options
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you wear gear the same level as yourself, it decays slower, then wearing lower level gear.

But it gets 'insane' with only one level difference at Veteran levels, forcing you to upgrade.
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Natjur wrote: »
    If you wear gear the same level as yourself, it decays slower, then wearing lower level gear.

But it gets 'insane' with only one level difference at Veteran levels, forcing you to upgrade.

If that is the system, then the change applies an extremely vicious deterioration rate to all levels now. And, they should really be thinking about some way to uplevel crafted items within a material so crafters aren't utterly murdered trying to progress.
    Options
  • thegamekittenub17_ESO
    I have noticed the seriously damage to gear when we quest for more than 30 minutes depending on the fighting (whether we fight mobs or not). I was hoping this was a bug per say. As far as gold sinks, well there are some already in game and the loot and gold drops are just out right amusing because they don't add up to diddly. I want vendor wages and sale my wares for their prices. I don't like that my armor cost 500g to repair, but if I sell it I might get 150 gold..XD.

But that is me. Now my fiancé who absolutely loves this game and has the patience of a saint as well as tolerance swore the other day when he repaired. He added up all the repair cost and figure out he lost 2k and that was with quest rewards. I was shocked because he rarely swears. When a game punishes a player for questing, killing mobs, or not giving at least some kind of rewards in quests and loot drops to make a little to save for a rainy day..well they are gonna mess themselves up and find that they took the express way to F2P.

I don't craft as much because I NEED to sell just about everything I get in loot and quest rewards to pay for my repairs and my horse feed. Yes, it's exciting (smirks). But on a bright note! I foresee with all this and the decay of armor, come fall I will be enjoying questing with fiancé in another MMO. If things don't change by then. I do like the game, I loved the game in Beta...But now I've played more than the weekend and face so many issues in game...I just lose the fun of playing it.

Options
  • Cherryblossom
    Cherryblossom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've given up repairing now, I'm no longer playing as intended, my gear spends its time at zero now.

it's the only way I can avoid decay!

This whole game is broken and slowly getting worse.
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, what genuinely pisses me off about this is the devs *** refuse to comment. I don't expect them to wander in on Sunday, and make a special statement today, but it's been a week. An entire *** week. No word. Important things like, "will we get a Khajiiti avatar for the forums?" Yeah, that gets a response. Something that is literally punishing players for, well, playing the game, and discouraging people from getting online? We're not sure what's wrong, but something is, and it's making it difficult to play? Yeah, that's just peachy.
    Options
  • Anarchos404
    Anarchos404
    ✭✭
    Seems there's others sharing my frustration about the gear decay.
    I completed the first playthrough in all red gear \o/
    Clearly how Zenimax plotted out the path for us :)

Having 0 armor and loosing light/heavy/medium armor passives does on the other hand hurt much much more at Veteran ranks.
    Crafted some V1 gear and waiting for it to decay :expressionless:
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SaibotLiu wrote: »
    This is when MMO's start to suck, if players get listened to when it comes to obstacles being too hard. Im the opposite, if I see a trend develop and they start making the game easier, I know I'll be a couple of steps closer to quitting this game. The repair bill serves a valuable purpose as a gold sink. If you diminish this significantly, suddenly everyone is available to save large quantities of gold, and your economy goes to crap. Im already able to save plenty of cash to do whatever I want, now when not so savvy players are able to save, it only amplifies what the more industrious players are able to do, then you have a problem because now those players whinging about repair costs before cant afford the elevated prices due to inflation. So really, bad players are just bad, if you balance the game around them, your game will be bad. Dont do that.

No offense to anyone intended, Ive just seen this happen dozen of times in an MMO, this post is nothing if not right on cue. For once lets just try to play smarter instead of begging for things to be easier. Its better for everyone.

Completely agree. The same thing happened because a bunch of whiners came on here and said the beginning was too un-Elder Scroll like so they made a change to have people go straight to the mainland. The idiots on these forums are not game designers, and do NOT represent the majority (who typically don't come to the forum to post).

Hey, you know what the problem with the whole "silent majority" argument is? It's that you don't know what the hell is going on with the silent majority, so clearly they're on your side in this debate, because they all think exactly like you. Wait. Let me think about that for a minute. No, something's off there.

While it is true that forums serve as a kind of echoing chamber, and it's also true that a fraction of the game's population will hit the forums, it is dangerously naive to believe that the forums are in no way representative of the community at large. Particularly when it comes to issues that appear to be bugs.

Now, hey, this could just be a massive stealth nerf to drive people to the goldsellers, what do I know. I've only been watching my repair costs and seeing my gear go from having a degradation to being made out of paper mache in the course of one patch.

But, hey, if you want, you can just tell me to shut the hell up, because if there's no movement from the dev staff on this soon, I'm done... I see no reason to support a game that feels it's okay to just flat out ignore players with issues.
    Edited by starkerealm on April 27, 2014 9:37PM
    Options
  • thegamekittenub17_ESO
    SaibotLiu wrote: »
    This is when MMO's start to suck, if players get listened to when it comes to obstacles being too hard. Im the opposite, if I see a trend develop and they start making the game easier, I know I'll be a couple of steps closer to quitting this game. The repair bill serves a valuable purpose as a gold sink. If you diminish this significantly, suddenly everyone is available to save large quantities of gold, and your economy goes to crap. Im already able to save plenty of cash to do whatever I want, now when not so savvy players are able to save, it only amplifies what the more industrious players are able to do, then you have a problem because now those players whinging about repair costs before cant afford the elevated prices due to inflation. So really, bad players are just bad, if you balance the game around them, your game will be bad. Dont do that.

No offense to anyone intended, Ive just seen this happen dozen of times in an MMO, this post is nothing if not right on cue. For once lets just try to play smarter instead of begging for things to be easier. Its better for everyone.

Completely agree. The same thing happened because a bunch of whiners came on here and said the beginning was too un-Elder Scroll like so they made a change to have people go straight to the mainland. The idiots on these forums are not game designers, and do NOT represent the majority (who typically don't come to the forum to post).

Nice to know you know me well enough to insult me and call me names. Did we meet at Meijers? I'm sorry I must of forgot your name. Old age and memory thing you know.

Never said I represent anyone other than myself and that goes for my opinion. It is mine. If I leave this game, I am not under the illusion that Zenimax will care and beg me to stay. I don't speak for anyone but myself. Just so we understand that.

But apparently there are some issues since there is few says on the discussion board about this, broken quests, and gold sellers. And still the people who type on this forum are most likely not the majority. Some game players just throw up their hands and quit without a post or even discussing on this board what they don't like about the game. They just quit.

Options
  • babylon
    babylon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

This guy probably wants things as they are because he has a bot name and is probably a goldseller.

Edited by ZOS_ShannonM on April 27, 2014 10:49PM
    Options
  • Cherryblossom
    Cherryblossom
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok so you can both understand, this thread has come about because recently, not from the begining, peoples gear has started to degrade very quickly.
    Within an hour my brand new level 46 gear was at Zero, I did not die once. I'm a night blade who stabs things in the back so I rarely get hit. So after an hour of play I now have a 1800gold bill. So it's Sunday, if I play for 5 hours thats a 9000gold bill. (I haven't stupidly went to Cyrodil and have struggled to load since)
    You actually think that is working as intended? If you do can you pay my bill please cos I can't afford that, the average mob drops 1 gold!
    Edited by ZOS_ShannonM on April 27, 2014 10:50PM
    Options
  • Dorado
    Dorado
    Mauzi wrote: »
    • Wielding ranged weapons will reduce your repairs to low levels

This one's not 100% accurate. The character I was doing my last bout of tests on was a bow wielding nightblade, and I was seeing deterioration from attacks and power usage.

It's possible they tried to implement deterioration to weapons and borked it, but I don't know.

It's like I said before, they simply implemented a quest tax system, not an actual gear damage system. If I had to guess, your repair bill is just the output of some function that takes into account time/xp/gold earned.

The top quote is false. I've had ridiculous amounts of repair bills just using a bow and never taking a scratch of damage.
    Options
  • Dorado
    Dorado
    Gwarok wrote: »

Slightly off topic, also WHY, if say I accidentally double click (yes my mouse button is set to recognize faster clicks and yes, it DOES happen) on a vendor's item let's say such piece costs 675g and realizing the opps, immediately selling it back, the damned NPC is NOT refunding my money but ripping me of for about 650g. (now IF I were to close the store window I can see the NPC recognizing said piece of gear as used) but as it is now it's a blatant RIP OFF.

BROKEN VENDORS ARE BROKEN.

Slightly off topic? Holy thread hijack Batman.
    Options