Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "Blackwood Preview—Companions System"

ZOS_SarahHecker
ZOS_SarahHecker
✭✭✭✭✭
6e39icmty821.png
This is the official discussion thread for the blog article "Blackwood Preview—Companions System"

You’ll never adventure alone again with the new Companions System, arriving soon with The Elder Scrolls Online: Blackwood.
Staff Post
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "You'll never adventure alone again with the new Companions System"

-unless the PTS tests show that Companions tank performance and need to be despawned in cities or in high population instances like Harrowstorms. I see that Marketing isn't talking about that little tidbit from the latest PTS.

Yes, I realize that technically we're not alone when there are other players, but that's clearly not what's implied with Companions. I think maybe the Devs and Marketing need to get on the same page before marketing oversells what the Devs can deliver without tanking performance.

- I should be clear: I'm looking forward to adventuring with Mirri, but more for the roleplaying aspect than because she sounds useful (because she's about as tough as wet tissue paper vs AOEs.) So while the low survivability of Companions is a concern for their capability to really fulfill any role in group content, world bosses, or world events like Harrowstorms, I'm mostly concerned that performance may lead ZOS to downgrade Companion usefulness for roleplaying and questing in cities. Marketing seems to be hyping Companions prior to Blackwood's release, while the word on the PTS is heading in the opposite direction.
    Edited by VaranisArano on May 4, 2021 3:31PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A minor typo: "the team designed them to assist in the heat battle, including the ability for them to take on all major roles."

Should be the heat of battle

(And thanks, autocorrect, for my own minor typo. "minot typo" :lol: )
    Edited by VaranisArano on May 4, 2021 3:32PM
  • Greevir
    Greevir
    ✭✭✭✭
    "You’ll never adventure alone again"... May as well. These companions are about useless. They deal negligible damage, can't tank for more than a second, and heal so little you'd think your passive regen got a slight boost. Yeah, and as for the performance, no thanks.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "You'll never adventure alone again with the new Companions System"

-unless the PTS tests show that Companions tank performance and need to be despawned in cities or in high population instances like Harrowstorms. I see that Marketing isn't talking about that little tidbit from the latest PTS.

Yes, I realize that technically we're not alone when there are other players, but that's clearly not what's implied with Companions. I think maybe the Devs and Marketing need to get on the same page before marketing oversells what the Devs can deliver without tanking performance.

Yes. The performance toggles that they have in place... I hope they never use them. When I am with someone, it is rather rude for them to run off the first time we get somewhere. :smile: Anyway, diminishes the overall appeal of them. I certainly would not want to spend Crowns on one only to have them despawn like they don't want to be seen with me.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A question: Does this following quote include helmets, head coverings, hats and other items that might obscure Companion faces? Currently those can not be applied on the PTS.

"As a result, you have a lot of ways to customize your Companion, including the gear that they wear (with specific Companion-based traits) and abilities they wield in combat. You can also customize their appearance, with your Companions being able to equip many of your unlocked costumes and outfit collectibles from your Collections UI. You can even choose which mount they ride!"

Given the "many of" qualifier, I assume not, but it might be good to explain that. Like, I reasonably assume that I can't give Bastian the same adornments an Argonian would wear. On the other hand, I would not assume that I can customize their appearance but not their head slot.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A question: Does this following quote include helmets, head coverings, hats and other items that might obscure Companion faces? Currently those can not be applied on the PTS.

"As a result, you have a lot of ways to customize your Companion, including the gear that they wear (with specific Companion-based traits) and abilities they wield in combat. You can also customize their appearance, with your Companions being able to equip many of your unlocked costumes and outfit collectibles from your Collections UI. You can even choose which mount they ride!"

Given the "many of" qualifier, I assume not, but it might be good to explain that. Like, I reasonably assume that I can't give Bastian the same adornments an Argonian would wear. On the other hand, I would not assume that I can customize their appearance but not their head slot.

You can customize their head slot all day long. You just can't see what you customized. :smile:
  • opaj
    opaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I appreciate that the second picture shows both the player and the companion standing in fire.
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    opaj wrote: »
    I appreciate that the second picture shows both the player and the companion standing in fire.

Lol!
    The one thing I found I could depend on Mirri to do is find the "Red" and stand in it no matter where it was. :)
    I so agree with @VaranisArano that they have over hyped companions. Besides the bugs, they seemed stiff and limited.
    (Though I did see in patch notes that most of the bugs I had are being fixed).
    Would be cooler if other NPC's acknowledged them or at least didn't act like they were invisible.
    And maybe more dialog responses and/or reactions.
    Just my 2 Drakes.
    Huzzah!
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
  • Luke_Flamesword
    Luke_Flamesword
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    "With new companions system you will never stay in AOE alone again. Choose your favourite character and grind, grind and grind for your lovely ESO tamagotchi. [snip] or release your inner demons and just watch them dying over and over. It's up to you! [snip]"

Sorry, I just can't resist :D

[edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on May 5, 2021 1:19PM
    PC | EU | DC |Stam Dk Breton
  • ManDraKE
    ManDraKE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wait, there is people that think that is actually a good idea to have 300 compaions running around the city? LOL

Great, cant wait to go to the bank and not being able to see the NPC because is surrounded by 50 players and 50 companions.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ManDraKE wrote: »
    wait, there is people that think that is actually a good idea to have 300 compaions running around the city? LOL

Yes, I do think it is a good idea to have companions running around the city. All parts of the city.
    Edited by Elsonso on May 4, 2021 6:41PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ManDraKE wrote: »

Great, cant wait to go to the bank and not being able to see the NPC because is surrounded by 50 players and 50 companions.

What you describe is how ZOS originally had it on the PTS. There have been complaints regarding immersion and crowding, but ZOS says they are testing other options due to concerns about performance.

One of the options they are testing is despawning Companions in cities which I mention above. A second option is despawning them in high population fights, like Harrowstorms.

Another of the options ZOS is testing is that only you would be able to see your Companion. This would save both our immersion (300 companions, half of them with the same face) and also allow players to quest with Companions in cities.

Because while I might find it unimmersive to see a steady stream of same-faced Companions going to and from the wayshrine, most major cities have quests. Leyawiin, the major city in Blackwood, almost certainly has quests. A number of them, including Vulkhel Guard, Davon's Watch, Glenumbra, and Vivec City, have combat quests. Major cities like Rimmen, Alinor, Mournhold, and Elden Root hand out Fighters and Mages Guild dailies, which we need in order to advance our Companions. If I'm supposed to able to adventure with my Companions, it doesn't make sense that they would be despawned at the city gate.

If ZOS does despawn Companions in cities for performance reasons, then they have downgraded the usefulness of Companions. In my opinion, it will be a failure of "You'll never adventure alone again with the new Companions System." Restrictions like PVP and solo arenas are obvious and make sense. Companions can't show up in cities, despite quests taking place in cities? That doesn't make sense for gameplay.

If nothing else, I'd like the Devs and Marketing to get their story straight so I can set my expectations accordingly.
  • Fischblut
    Fischblut
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I mostly don't like this companion system so far :( Showcasing my second favourite mount thanks to my companion is fun, but that's all...
    As you adventure together, the level of rapport between you and your Companion will go up and down, depending on what kind of activities you engage in. These changes in rapport will have a real effect on the characters, too. As you build your relationships with your new allies, you’ll unlock new dialog options, Companion-specific quests, and the ability to add your Companions to your homes as houseguests!

I played ot PTS a bit more, and I know that none of companions will be good for my game.
    I was previewing style pages at Impressario tent in Vivec City (she is located near ships and the sea). Mirri was decreasing her rapport for being in this area :o I previewed more style pages, and logged out. And next day, right when I logged in at the same spot (ships and the sea), I was greeted by Mirri - she was immediately decreasing her rapport :D That was the end of our adventures together.

My activity changes from gathering resources to murdering citizens. I already have to remember and change my Champion Points in green tree according to changes in my activity (and it's extremely irritating). If I will also have to remember to change (or even remove) my companion before I change my activity... I will rather not use companion at all.

Companions should be helpful and amusing; they can't decide what activities I should do at any given time :|
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fischblut wrote: »
    I mostly don't like this companion system so far :( Showcasing my second favourite mount thanks to my companion is fun, but that's all...
    As you adventure together, the level of rapport between you and your Companion will go up and down, depending on what kind of activities you engage in. These changes in rapport will have a real effect on the characters, too. As you build your relationships with your new allies, you’ll unlock new dialog options, Companion-specific quests, and the ability to add your Companions to your homes as houseguests!

I played ot PTS a bit more, and I know that none of companions will be good for my game.
    I was previewing style pages at Impressario tent in Vivec City (she is located near ships and the sea). Mirri was decreasing her rapport for being in this area :o I previewed more style pages, and logged out. And next day, right when I logged in at the same spot (ships and the sea), I was greeted by Mirri - she was immediately decreasing her rapport :D That was the end of our adventures together.

My activity changes from gathering resources to murdering citizens. I already have to remember and change my Champion Points in green tree according to changes in my activity (and it's extremely irritating). If I will also have to remember to change (or even remove) my companion before I change my activity... I will rather not use companion at all.

Companions should be helpful and amusing; they can't decide what activities I should do at any given time :|

That is a good point, and in extension, if ZOS is going to have companions with easily polarized rapport, then we are going to be needing a wide variety of them. Not at Crown Store prices, either.

• colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry but marketing department should at least consult with someone at the actual combat team.
    While the camaraderie and companionship associated with a new adventuring partner is nice, make no mistake, these new recruits are combat allies, and the team designed them to assist in the heat battle, including the ability for them to take on all major roles.

Can take but not fulfill even in easiest of situations, which makes it a better choice to not have a companion around as it's just a distraction for you personally and a rug on the floor. It's a personal quest giver, sure, but not anything besides that currently.
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's kind of bitter-sweet - if I just read the announcement about the companions, I'm curious now and can hardly wait for it to finally start. But when I read the PTS reports, it becomes clear that everything only looks rosy in theory. :|
  • DinoZavr
    DinoZavr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zenimax, please, give Companions a bag to make THEM carry their own gear (which is not craftable/reconctructable. why?).
    I just cannot afford carrying my Companions' gear, because my bag is already packed with my own sets (i swap with the Dressing Room addon when necessary).
    Are Companions that weak they require a squire to carry theirs burdens?
    Storage is the BIG issue, considering Companions gear comes in 3 weights 9 traits and 10 slots.
    PC EU
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really looking forward to playing with companions. There are only two things that have me worried though:

-Companions are not unlocked accountwide. This forces me into the zone, which I do not want as I try to do everything in order for each character. And it forces me to even do the introductory quests on my tank characters. Which is going to be an absolute pain. Not a good start for a new system.

-Companions being able to unsummon themselves. This should never ever happen. no matter how unhappy they are with me!!! If you want players to play with companions, we need them to be reliable. If as a tank I rely on my DPS companion to kill a boss, and he unsummoned/unsummons himself, the battle might take forever as I was depending on the companion. Same goes for DPS relying on tank companions, or players relying on getting healed by their healing companions.
  • deleted221106-002999
    deleted221106-002999
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No thanks.

I have zero interest and zero use for such nonsense, particularly given the highlighted issues. Not least of these issues is yet another pet hogging craft areas. And since they don't appear to be directly customisable, it's just going to be a bunch of clones milling around.

What a dreadful bore and a complete waste of time and resources.

I'd much prefer you fix extant bugs that have been around for years. But the probability of something useful like that happening is somewhere south of the drop probability of an apex mount from a crown crate. :(
  • deleted221106-002999
    deleted221106-002999
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DinoZavr wrote: »
    Zenimax, please, give Companions a bag to make THEM carry their own gear (which is not craftable/reconctructable. why?).
    I just cannot afford carrying my Companions' gear, because my bag is already packed with my own sets (i swap with the Dressing Room addon when necessary).
    Are Companions that weak they require a squire to carry theirs burdens?
    Storage is the BIG issue, considering Companions gear comes in 3 weights 9 traits and 10 slots.

Coming to the crown store soon: companion satchel enabling the companion to carry 1 of their items (crown store upgradeable to eventually include all. Per character.).

Also incoming to crown store: companion backpack +5/+10/+15 inventory slots. Per character.

"We're killing it."
  • Cireous
    Cireous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just putting this out there: I'm not comfortable with companions being despawned for Harrowstorms and Dragons. That's literally the only thing I need their combat FOR. Everything else, outside of a few World Bosses, is soloable. Despawning them for some of the only encounters in Overland we might desperately need their help for makes no sense at all.

Unless you can make it so they are only despawned when there is a specific number of players at the event? LIke, way too many players? That would make more sense, but I somehow doubt that's how it would work.
  • GenjiraX
    GenjiraX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A minor typo: "the team designed them to assist in the heat battle, including the ability for them to take on all major roles."

Should be the heat of battle

(And thanks, autocorrect, for my own minor typo. "minot typo" :lol: )

Never mind that -
    In The Elder Scrolls Online you can completely customize the way your character looks and fights based on your own personal preferences. The team wanted to ensure this core tenant was also in place for the new Companions system as well.

Should that be "core tenet"?
  • TonyRockaroni
    TonyRockaroni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So far, are Bastian and Mirri the only companions? No Argonian companion in a chapter where we go to Black Marsh?

I'm a little disappointed, I must admit. 3:
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    What about the companions as houseguests, do they actually take away one/two of the already far too few slots?
    Please urgently increase the limit for collectible items!
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The thread https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/7244018#Comment_7244018 has ongoing discussion of the grindiness of leveling.
  • LokiAndBlack
    LokiAndBlack
    ✭✭✭
    Please put the interaction with companion on F as with other players or on some other/customizable button. They disturb upon interaction with chests, during fishing, by interactions with doors, portals and so on.

The desicion to reduce rapport of miry upon collecting bugs is also not very good, especially if you do questing the damn bugs are placed around quest items in delves, around exits and around the resource nods it annoys a lot that you can't do all this things in usual quick pace and forced to do "micoromanage" of the cursor moving.
    Edited by LokiAndBlack on July 5, 2021 6:37AM