Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PTS Update 30 - Bug Reports for Combat Balance & Abilities

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
Please report any issues you run into involving combat and gameplay balance or abilities in this thread. Please give us as much information as possible, including screenshots and/or video if applicable. Thank you!
Edited by ZOS_GinaBruno on April 20, 2021 3:54PM
Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • MrZeDark
    MrZeDark
    ✭✭✭
    I truly do not appreciate the NERF (it is, any way you spin it) to Champion Point Passives.

Context: I'm a vampire build, not meta vamp, not any of these youtube videos - I thrived on hitting over 90 stacks in trial content. The pale order got nerfed, this I imagined to eventually occur. However my build isn't necessarily using it as a crutch as great as it is (or was). I rely on many self heals, healing taken and healing done.

With this new change to Champion Points, it has essentially made it impossible for me to effectively stack simmering frenzy with any great effect. So much so, that slotting 1 more damage ability would outweigh ever taking your time to stack in Simmering. These CP changes from my perspective put the final nail in the coffin for vamp (see what I did there?). They have 0 utility for Overland and Endgame PVE now - as any other ability would either do more dmg or provide better utility.

My simmering stacks have to break ~35 in order to break into avg high dps in end-game challenger content. Without PO I get about ~20 stacks less than average, as I rely on my self healing with modifiers. But by nerfing total HP, Total healing done, I am lucky to safely stack to ~35 stacks without PO. Not to also mention the Mag reduction, that further reduces my total raw healing potential.

Sure we could quibble and people could say, "Just don't be a vampire". Well my only argument back is, "Might as well stop playing something I enjoy due to challenge, for something I don't.. because the back end of the game no longer allows me to enjoy my DPS".

Alternatively - I could redo all my gear, lose crit, crit dmg, spell dmg, and go full on healing to get more stacks - just to still do greatly less DPS due to my combat attribute losses.

I thoroughly appreciate all that you guys do to bring balance into the game. However reducing the base cap, to assist lower level players was a really upsetting move. I was excited to push through to around ~1800 (currently am ~1380). I looked forward to seeing my growth. Now, I'm capped.. I can't actually bring more dps, as a result of the changes I bring far less. I don't look forward to having 'more actives'.. because as I DPS the most we have to do is swap Backstabber for Wrathful. Tanks and Healers, they have some great utility in swappables - due to the nature of Content requiring different gear or expectations. So I believe the NEW CP NODES, are excellent for healers to bring more flavor.

I get this is a global change, so everyone was taken down a notch. I can also understand seeing a NERF like this down the line, when the CP tree's become MORE robust. However right now as it is, if the balance is to take - without providing CP resources to mitigate loss through utility, then dropping everything is really just for the sake of dropping everything. Thereby actually minimizing progression, customization, and exploration.

I am disgruntled, but no this won't make me quit - I'm not sitting here typing trying to encourage you through empty threats. But I am truly dissatisfied with this adjustment to CP growth. I was excited for new progression within levels, exploring passive growth and active utilization. Now I feel like it was pre update 29... stuck, stagnant, but worse still - a strong feeling of being nerfed.
  • Kelanthras
    Kelanthras
    ✭✭
    Blastbones is severely unresponsive and is unable to be cast as consistently as in live.
  • XvarleyX
    XvarleyX
    ✭✭✭
    Instant cast proc from Crystal Fragments is not working, the sound of the proc plays, but no change of icon on bar, and the ability retains it's cast time.

https://streamable.com/u6uron
    Edited by XvarleyX on April 20, 2021 8:04PM
  • Styxius
    Styxius
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bugs I've experienced so far on this PTS week 1.

•Blastbones: Is experiencing major issues with targetting and pathing. At point-blank sometimes taking 3 GCD's to connect. and whip around flipping around all over the place and are unresponsive at times.

•Proc sets like Relequen: Made a separate post about this, but these sets with the new scaling are no longer being affected by pen buffs/debuffs to damage taken/dealt as it previously did leading it to be a major negative compared to the planned increase in their power in PvE.

•Several foods and tooltips to name a few:
    Mothers Sorrow's crit isn't registering and being provided anymore at least not in the character sheet.
    Spectral Cloak and many foods are displaying 0 in their tooltip for duration or buff.

•Barbed Trap:
    With the addition of the built-in skill tracker which I am a fan of for the most part with some minor complaints. When casting it, it uses the 60s duration but doesn't pick up the 18 seconds when it procs leaving it to be an unreliable tracker compared to some made by Addon creators.

These are what I've experienced so far. I don't plan to test more until the proc sets are corrected to perform more thorough DPS tests outside of the general concepts.
  • Pearly
    Pearly
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to echo the issue with Blastbones right now. It's very inconsistent with how many GCDs it takes to hit, even when stationary. Nearly right next to the trial dummy, it will sometimes take hit right at 2 GCDs, sometimes a little bit after, and sometimes take 3+ GCDs as it runs to the side (from the back) of the dummy to sit, and then explode.
  • Pearly
    Pearly
    ✭✭✭
    Another Blastbones bug: the skill icon isn't consistently greying out when the Blastbones is live, and has been greying out when the skill is available to cast.
  • Sangwyne
    Sangwyne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does DK being a complete trainwreck atm count as a bug or is that intended? Also, Coagulating Blood doesn't work. See here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/570727/question-about-coagulating-blood-ability-dragonknight-class/p1
  • Extinct_Solo_Player
    Extinct_Solo_Player
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2 bugs

1: Thaumaturge CP is non functional, it does not add to DoT tooltips with 50 points invested and toggled.

2: Deadly Bash sword and shield passive is bugged. It does not reduce the stamina cost of bash by 40% which it is supposed to. Bash costs the same as it does on my 2h bar instead of being reduced by 40%.

With Sword and Shield equipped o0d9t0lt4gu2.png

With 2 hander equipped 9o7plckgxti7.png

Edited by Extinct_Solo_Player on April 20, 2021 10:06PM
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    XvarleyX wrote: »
    Instant cast proc from Crystal Fragments is not working, the sound of the proc plays, but no change of icon on bar, and the ability retains it's cast time.

The same thing is happening for merciless ressolve bow proc on magicka nightblades: the sound plays, you fire the proc but the icon on the bar does not change, and you still see the arrow.
  • BohnT2
    BohnT2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    2 bugs

1: Thaumaturge CP is non functional, it does not add to DoT tooltips with 50 points invested and toggled.

2: Deadly Bash sword and shield passive is bugged. It does not reduce the stamina cost of bash by 40% which it is supposed to. Bash costs the same as it does on my 2h bar instead of being reduced by 40%.

Deadly bash has been bugged for ages as it applies the cost reduction to both bars rather than just the sword and board bar
  • Extinct_Solo_Player
    Extinct_Solo_Player
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BohnT2 wrote: »
    2 bugs

Deadly bash has been bugged for ages as it applies the cost reduction to both bars rather than just the sword and board bar

I'm pretty sure bash on Sword and shield is supposed to cost 1133 stamina with the 40% reduction like how the 36% block cost reduction is working as intended due to the 36% cost reduction only being active on sword and shield bar with a cost of 1061 stamina compared to the 1658 block cost on the 2 hander bar. EDIT* Didn't realize it was bugged for ages guess it will stay bugged if it has already been reported, lol

Edited by Extinct_Solo_Player on April 20, 2021 10:36PM
  • TC_Lee13
    TC_Lee13
    ✭✭✭
    Restoring Focus Bug:
    If you recast Restoring Focus inside or near the same position as a previous Restoring Focus while it's still active it, the new Restoring Focus rune no longer outputs any healing.
  • XvarleyX
    XvarleyX
    ✭✭✭

The same thing is happening for merciless ressolve bow proc on magicka nightblades: the sound plays, you fire the proc but the icon on the bar does not change, and you still see the arrow.[/quote]

I think they mentioned some skills with a secondary effect not changing the icon on the skill bar in the potes, but i'm 100% hard casting procced frags.
    Edited by XvarleyX on April 21, 2021 12:05AM
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Crystal Fragments is pretty broken right now. If I ever get a proc, the skill just casts normally as if it didn't have a proc. The proc is still being caused by magicka abilities, but will not let itself be instantly casted.
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The new Ability timers are completely wrong for my MagDK.

Burning embers in particular way off.

Strangely Elemental wall seems to be wrong it lasts a lot longer than the visuals that I use to gauge it.

And the ability that is worst is scaling rune, the timer is for how long it lasts not for how long it deals damage for.
  • ajkb78
    ajkb78
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The change to Piercing has undone the work previously put in to expand the range of viable armor combinations. As of Blackwood only 7 light armour will be viable in an optimised group for all magicka classes except necromancer and flanking nightblade, because other classes will not be able to reach the penetration cap with the same supporting sets as dds in 7 light. This takes away the viability of Medusa as an alternative to Mother's Sorrow, which was previously really well balanced and gave a great pair of options, albeit you had to put more cp into piercing when wearing Medusa. Now you aren't able to put additional CP into piercing so you will underpenetrate in Medusa, making the set much less viable compared to MS.

However it gets worse. You're supposedly trying to make stamina more viable for advanced PVE, hence the nerf to orbs and the buff to caltrops. But this change just increases the gap in penetration between magicka and stamina, so bringing a few stamina dds along in a mixed group setup will be even less viable.

Finally, the change doesn't even do anything to rein in power. Mag dds will still be able to hit the penetration cap just as they could before, they will just have fewer options so we will be back to everyone wearing exactly the same gear (MS).

Please just change this back so we get the full amount of penetration that was available in Flames of Ambition (or even a bit more, in order to put magicka and stamina more equally able to compete together), just from 20 points in piercing rather than 40.

• Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Jaimeh wrote: »
    XvarleyX wrote: »

The same thing is happening for merciless ressolve bow proc on magicka nightblades: the sound plays, you fire the proc but the icon on the bar does not change, and you still see the arrow.

I've test dueled a bit yesterday and the one magblade I fought had no issues firing off the bow proc.
    Wonder if this may be related to the new ability timers.
  • Styxius
    Styxius
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am unsure if it's my end but Barswap feels incredibly laggy and creates a stutter each time you bar swap on Gamepad. Similar to the massive UI bug Gamepad has been having with equipping gear on PC/NA
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Regarding the halved CP Passives:

I LITERALLY can train every single passive in every tree using the max 3600 template. And then train almost every single slotted star to full in Red and Green.

Even assuming Red/Green get a ton more subconstellations ... a nearly maxed character will know dozens of passive slotted stars. That they WILL NEVER USE because of how onerous it is to change stars.

I feel like now there's almost zero vertical progression now for CP.

Since it's such a pain in the rear to change slotted stars -- since almost all of them it apparently now have to be slotted for any appreciable effect -- I can't imagine caring at all about progression past about CP 2000. Sure it's 'horizontal' but realistically it's worthless, I have no way or even desire to slot the overwhelming majority of the active stars in any constellation, they're all so individually weak.

EDIT: To clarify: Without a quick slot "loadout" option like we can do with skills, most of my CP will sit unused once I'm past the new 'vertical' cap.

Even when users kindly created a quick swap functionality so we could use some of them, ZoS you nerfed our ability to change slotted stars by adding cooldowns.

Now Green still has far, far too many slotted stars, but preventing quick slots automatically even for high level characters that unlock tons of Red and Blue will make players simply never bother to change in the first place.

30 seconds is excessive -- not because I legitimately want to change every 30 seconds or less, but because it punishes accidentally slotting the wrong star that I wanted between encounters in a dungeon.
    Edited by Fennwitty on April 21, 2021 9:18PM
    PC NA
  • ExoY
    ExoY
    ✭✭✭
    CP Slotable Cooldown gone

On Live Server there is currently a 30second cooldown for changing cp slottable.
    However there is non on PTS.

I dont want to complain about it, but since it wasnt mentioned in Patch notes (at least I cant remember reading about it, but its only been like 40pages or so :) its unclear to me whether this is intended or a bug.

• Alendrin
    Alendrin
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know where else to post this but you are going to have to cap the proc set scaling. I've already seen legit pvp builds with proc set tooltips (spell damage, weapon damage, and health based) twice as high as what is on live right now. This doesn't even account for oddball scenarios like emperor builds, probably some werewolf nonsense, or people in groups stacking major courage, player passives, and other buffs.

• phil.maricel08ub17_ESO
    ajkb78 wrote: »
    The change to Piercing has undone the work previously put in to expand the range of viable armor combinations. As of Blackwood only 7 light armour will be viable in an optimised group for all magicka classes except necromancer and flanking nightblade, because other classes will not be able to reach the penetration cap with the same supporting sets as dds in 7 light. This takes away the viability of Medusa as an alternative to Mother's Sorrow, which was previously really well balanced and gave a great pair of options, albeit you had to put more cp into piercing when wearing Medusa. Now you aren't able to put additional CP into piercing so you will underpenetrate in Medusa, making the set much less viable compared to MS.

However it gets worse. You're supposedly trying to make stamina more viable for advanced PVE, hence the nerf to orbs and the buff to caltrops. But this change just increases the gap in penetration between magicka and stamina, so bringing a few stamina dds along in a mixed group setup will be even less viable.

Finally, the change doesn't even do anything to rein in power. Mag dds will still be able to hit the penetration cap just as they could before, they will just have fewer options so we will be back to everyone wearing exactly the same gear (MS).

Please just change this back so we get the full amount of penetration that was available in Flames of Ambition (or even a bit more, in order to put magicka and stamina more equally able to compete together), just from 20 points in piercing rather than 40.

Please pay attention to this poster that's quoted. You guys are consistently making it harder for stamina to compete with end game scoring runs. How are we supposed to reach penetration cap now? Do you not want stamina to be viable for PvE end game? Where do these supposed changes come from and who thinks of them without completely going through how they will effect both stamina and magicka? This will completely DELETE stamina in trial groups. Please, get into your game and play all characters and classes so that you get a sense of what you are literally doing to half of the DD classes. Please remember that staves are not the only weapons that you put into your game and that melee DD isnt just a myth for PvE!
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The playerbase wasn't complaining about the power of the new CP tree as stated in the Patch Notes. We were complaining about the road to getting any vertical progression was too long. For casual players, it will take nearly a year, if not longer, to get to 2000 cp, whereas before the CP2 update, we'd be fine around 700. Now not only do we need 2,000, but for dps, we're not even where we were before and that's good for balancing, but CP2 as it sits feels a bit weak, nerfing it more just kills game diversity. At a certain point, the lack of vertical progression makes it so there are only a handful of viable builds, which all use the same sets. For example I've made many interesting builds since the previous patch, but losing 300 crit rate AND 650 physical penetration makes the build no longer really work in PVE, especially after the already heavy nerf to crit rate.

To reiterate, your quote "In response to the feedback that there is still too much vertical progression in the Champion Point system," is not representative of the playerbase at all. There is barely any vertical progression in CP2 as it sits now, and nerfing it more, at least nerfing the passives, isn't what we wanted.

You know what would fix the issue? Get off the idea of having 3 separate trees with 3 separate grinds to get the points you need. There are several levels where you get no real progreession at all, since you need a certain number of points to actually get any improvement. By making it so, rather than getting 1 point in red, 1 point in green, and 1 point in blue alternating with each level, just combine the pools and let us put them into whatever tree we want. It would fix the problem of "you need 2000 cp to be competitive," allow us to use it on what we want, and allow you to play with the trees more, since you can STILL have the trees be separate... And then you could have branches in a tree that connect to one of the other trees or BOTH, allowing for interesting new skills you could add later, which wouldn't be possible if the pool for CP is separate for each tree.
    Edited by merpins on April 22, 2021 3:30AM
  • SilverKatz
    SilverKatz
    ✭✭✭
    I would report that the changes to Malacath's Band of Brutality is making it into the next thing to useless .

"Malacath's Band of Brutality: This set now increases your damage done by 16% but reduces your Critical Damage done by 50%, rather than increasing your damage done by 25% and making you unable to deal Critical Damage."

If the dmg is counted as crit then it will go through crit resistance before armores and other ways of mitigations . which would end up a lesser damage than non-crit dmg, depending on target's crit mitigations. In onther word , with malacath , the more crits or higher crit damage will heavily decrease the benifit from malacath.

I have no idea whether this is intended or a bug .
  • Lughlongarm
    Lughlongarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I encountered a strange stamina drain while blocking. My stamina goes from 7k to 0 in one hit.
    I used Warden with ice staff.
  • Princess_Ciri
    Princess_Ciri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Powerful Assault buff will prioritise the necromancer class over any other class, and is least likely to go on Templars.

This is also an issue on live - evidence can all be seen here https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/7215993#
    GM and raid leader of Hot Girls Play DPS, the cutest guild EU
  • Grumble_and_Grunt
    Grumble_and_Grunt
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Powerful Assault buff will prioritise the necromancer class over any other class, and is least likely to go on Templars.

This is also an issue on live - evidence can all be seen here https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/7215993#

Yes please look into this @ZOS_GinaBruno
    PC EU
    Fix Powerful Assault
    #3Qbiken
  • FThisIWantALongerNam

As the person who primarily plays magsorc and magcro, the classes who always get the buff, I wholeheartedly agree that arbitrary class favoritism is ridiculous and should be addressed/fixed.
  • Mahabahabtha
    Mahabahabtha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ajkb78 wrote: »

incoming Mother Sorrow Nerf in

200.gif

"In fact, I’ve met more PVEers that are worse at PvE than PvPers."
  • master_vanargand
    master_vanargand
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes Nightblade's spectral bow of Grim Focus does not fire.
    Grim Focus's 5 stacks disappear and do nothing.
    I use Relentless Focus and I think Merciless Resolve is the same.
    I don't know why it happens.
    I have previously reported this bug.
    Sometimes Nightblade's spectral bow of Grim Focus does not fire.
    Grim Focus's 5 stacks disappear and do nothing.
    I use Relentless Focus and I think Merciless Resolve is the same.
    I don't know why it happens.

Obviously this is a bug.

There is a video of the evidence.
    I happened to discover a bug while playing this game on Twitch live.
    Videos are PC, NA server, Japanese.
    These are videos of playing PvP Battlegrounds.
    My character name is "Ryu Vanargand".
    Please fix this bug.

Date: 03/11/2021 22:55:10 JST(UTC+0900)

[Clip of this video] [BUG] Relentless Focus's spectral bow does not fire
    https://clips.twitch.tv/DelightfulKnottyCheeseSuperVinlin-UmRHIYCfdb4WYxVO

Corrected the date of the video.
    The video was 03/11/2021 22:55:10 JST(UTC+0900).

Spell Orb of Psijic Order skill, Infernal Guardian set, Unfathomable Darkness set destroy invisibility of enemy players.
    They destroy invisibility when activated.
    In other words, they destroys Invisibility even if it doesn't hit enemy player.
    In addition, they are destroying a wide range of invisibility in the process of finding a target to shoot.
    Perhaps they destroy invisibility even if invisibility enemy players aren't targeted.
    I have previously reported this bug.
    Spell Orb of Psijic Order skill, Infernal Guardian set, Unfathomable Darkness set destroy invisibility of enemy players.
    They destroy invisibility when activated.
    In other words, they destroys Invisibility even if it doesn't hit enemy player.
    In addition, they are destroying a wide range of invisibility in the process of finding a target to shoot.
    Perhaps they destroy invisibility even if invisibility enemy players aren't targeted.

Obviously this is a bug.

There is a video of the evidence.
    I happened to discover a bug while playing this game on Twitch live.
    Videos are PC, NA server, Japanese.
    These are videos of playing PvP Battlegrounds.
    My character name is "Ryu Vanargand".
    Please fix this bug.

Date: 03/31/2021 00:25:30 JST(UTC+0900)

[Clip of this video] [BUG] Infernal Guardian set destroys invisible of player.
    https://clips.twitch.tv/BloodyInexpensiveAntFutureMan-JKRcClSEIx7qBTBy

[Clip of this video] [BUG] Spell Orb of Psijic Order passive skill destroys invisible of player.
    https://clips.twitch.tv/SlipperySmilingWormDatSheffy-wAg6BosPt0d1qMcY

[Clip of this video] [TEST] Spell Orb of Psijic Order passive skill can be evaded with Cloak after it has been fired.
    https://clips.twitch.tv/TenaciousPreciousClipzBIRB-nh9zWAEAJ92LZaSO

Date: 03/11/2021 22:55:10 JST(UTC+0900)

[Clip of this video] [BUG] Unfathomable Darkness set destroys invisible of player.
    https://clips.twitch.tv/PowerfulShinyKangarooGingerPower-V_pb3uCocnfnXdpp

[Clip of this video] [BUG] Destroy invisible when an enemy in the Unfathomable Darkness set is nearby.
    https://clips.twitch.tv/CrunchyBigPlumageDxCat-MEBbbGqq7CAVIP2I

Corrected the date of the video.
    The bottom video was 03/11/2021 22:55:10 JST(UTC+0900).

Please fix the bug.